54th Street

Michael Norsworthy

Steady customer base.

Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at 54th Street part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It can get busy so you can make decent money, schedules are very flexible, and fun co-workers.

Cons

Horrible side work,some times you're there 2 hours after you are cut, you only get your discount on certain food items and you have to eat it there before you leave even though you are not on the clock when you eat. Under paid and over worked management. Dishes are never clean.

Means to an en.d

I have been working at 54th Street

Pros

High volume restaurant means decent income for servers.

Cons

Horrible, narrow-minded, overworked, underpaid management. Absolutely no care for employees. The company will do anything it can to maximize its profit at the expense of its employees.

Find another job, or you will be miserable for the rest of your life.

Managers overworked, underpaid, but if you have no family or friends, then a great place to move up fast.

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at 54th Street full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The discount on certain food items is decent incentive, but only available at the location you work at and only the same list of items that the cooks can order which helps food costs. It was always busy, but there is a lack of training ecspecially at the management level, but it definitely trickles down through the entire staff. It is fun to work there most of the time, the music and atmosphere is somewhat nostalgic to enjoy, and most of the people are genuine. You usually get two days off in consecutive order, and the communication all the way to the vp level is basically expected. If you have no personal agenda or family, if you can make being a restaurant manager at five four your entire life, then this is a great place to work, and eventually the pay is good, you don't have to close anymore, which is nice. The hours are still expected of course but later when they decide to throw the newest manager under the bus with non stop closing shifts, you are still working from 10-rush which means you leave at maybe 10pm.

Cons

When I was told it was a sixty hour week I was fine with it, when starting out you are closing five days a week which means come in at 3-4 pm, then you are leaving the building usually at 5-6 am, so that is a what 70 hour week with five 14 hour days? The problem is that the way the paperwork, money, closing duties are handled are usually thrown completely at the newer managers, because the older ones are already tired or incompetent of doing these tasks 100 percent effectively to the owner, area directors, and Vice Presidents liking.

Need to resolve the barbaric system of money handling and upgrade to this current year there are so many issues I could see with theft, negligence, and the fact that any store has not been easily robbed yet is far beyond my comprehension putting many people in danger. Please take time to look at the turn over ratio and look into why managers quit or get fired, one solution is the burning out that most of them probably feel after the two-three months of training and then feeling more like a military environment than anything else, also there needs to be a better corporate infrastructure in place, never heard from corporate not even once since I worked there is no support only raised voices and yelling when there is a mistake made. You are putting a lot maybe too much on the shoulders of a lot of basically kids that are lured into an idea of being a restaurant manager, perhaps also look into raising the current salary for the amount of hours that are required, if not willing to do that, maybe alternate the shifts a bit where some managers can leave around six, not just the general manager, also there might be a need for two closing managers; one for the kitchen and one for the front. I can not fathom how one person is expected to do everything that it takes for a restaurant of this caliber is expected to magically do and still leave at a reasonable hour. Either way no hard feelings, I wish five four the best and hopefully one day it will be realized that although the guests pay the bills, the employees take care of the guest, meaning the employees should be taken care of better than they are currently

A growing company that demands a LOT of hours from their managers.

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at 54th Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product with a friendly atmosphere. Growing company that has high potential for advancenent. Tends to pay well vs competition.

Cons

Demands a 65+ hour work week plus coming in early and possibly days off for training and meetings. Company advises you to work from home due to very low time to accomplish all assigned tasks while at work. May work until 5 or 6 am and be expected to be at work the next at 1030 or 11, each week.

Consider employees lack of personal time and quality of life. Many managers get worked to exhaustion or carelessness from such high demand of workload. Empty promises used as encouragement only go so far.

Great

Current Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at 54th Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love that they work with there employees

Cons

Some times they require full time to do a lot of diubles

great team

Server

Former Employee - Server in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at 54th Street part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay wasn't terrible, and they did offer me my first job serving, so they helped me get my foot in the door.

Cons

The management is very bad. They are overworked and underpaid and take it out on the employees. They set a terrible mood throughout the entire restaurant, and often require employees to do loads of extra work after hours.

Get experience and move on

Former Employee - Server in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at 54th Street part-time (more than an year)

Pros

54th Street is willing to hire servers with no serving experience, which can be a plus for some.
    The place does get busy, and as a server that means more money.

Cons

Closers are treated like $3.75 an hour maids.
    Management has sketchy practices (rolling back hours, paying under the table, etc...)
    Morale is toxic, no one here is happy being here.

Morale has to improve, working here is a soul draining experience. Treat your closers better, stop rolling back hours.

This place is a joke for a job. I've never witnessed such chaos and frenzy in a work place.

Current Employee - Server in Grandview, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Grandview, MO

I have been working at 54th Street

Pros

The hourly wage is 3.65/hr. 50% discount on food the day you work. People are broken and need Jesus, so when I share the Gospel, people are more open than other places! =]

Cons

Terrible clientele for a server. There are regulars who come in just to complain and try to get free food. People stiff the servers left and right... especially big parties! The management cannot keep the place in order and when we are the busiest, they are no where to be found. Servers come and go weekly. People get hired and quit or get fired. Very very challenging place to serve.

If you like working harder than everyone around you, perfect.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at 54th Street

Pros

good shifts so good money. fast paced. decent hours. friendly employees. easy to catch onto. meet new people and learn a lot.

Cons

everyone tends to slack off as much as possible. when it's slow no one makes any money so shifts can be a hit or a miss.

be more involved with your employees. don't allow people to slack off at all. stick to your word when making new rules or saying things are going to change.

It's alright, not a career, just a job.

Current Employee - Bartender
    Current Employee - Bartender

I have been working at 54th Street

Pros

Cash money, every night. Pretty chill enviornment, except for weekends. Good food, good drinks, good job. Pretty easy gig, not for everyone.

Cons

Long nights, long shifts, underqualified managers with seriously poor attitudes. Managers play favorites and once you have gotten on their bad side there's no getting good again.

I know that you guys work a lot of hours but just because u made that choice and hate your lives doesn't mean that you should make your staff hate their lives.

54th Street Photos