5W Public Relations

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014
4.0

Ronn D. Torossian

Pros
  • Great place to learn about the PR business, develop relationships with media and work on a variety of clients (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to learn PR industry (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Often long hours, but the hard work pays off in the end (in 5 reviews)

• The company has a clear lack of strategy (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Excited about the future for myself at 5W

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent work environment that is challenging fun and rewarding every single day. The location of the office is perfect; just wish there were more employee incentive programs.

Cons

The work can seem tough at times, but there is not a day that goes by, where I am not learning something new. Constantly learning is the best part of the job.

Push newer initiatives. You guys have media relations on lock, but the future is in the digital space. Social Media, Brand Strategy, Email marketing, etc.

MEDIA RELATIONS is not the only component to successful PUBLIC RELATIONS.

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time

Pros

The competitive salary and benefits package far surpass that of similar sized agencies in the New York area. There is a competitive energy that is palpable and for those who thrive in that type of environment, you have every opportunity to climb the ladder (just don't think outside the box).

Cons

The company prides itself on being young and "modern" but in reality, is far behind the curve in terms of what services it offers / provides its clients. The company has a significant lack of strategy, aside from media relations alone. It's not so much public relations, as it is mass pitching (some might even say "spamming"). The senior staff members don't seem to understand or rather choose not to accept, that public relations is NOT only about media relations. Employee reviews and promotions are based solely on quantity of media placements secured, not even quality. There is a significant lack of training or growth opportunity for those who want to explore creative client services and strategic planning. It is drilled into your head, day after day, that the agency's "bread and butter" is media hits. At the end of the day, public relations is so much more than media relations, and at 5W that concept is lost. It's a very "color-by-number" way of thinking and for those who choose to stay inside the lines, this is the place for you.

Terrible Environment. Unethical Behavior. The CEO Lives Up To His Bad Reputation

Former Employee - Middle Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Middle Management in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked there for a little over a year. Tried to leave earlier but couldn't land a job, partly because of where I was working! Got lucky and found a similar position at another competing firm. I will say that I did enjoy working with some of the people on my team although most of them were miserable working there.

Cons

Most has been said in previous negative reviews. As one reviewer recently alluded to, It was well known around the agency about fake positive reviews being posted on Glassdoor to boost the firms rating, most likely by the CEO himself who has a reputation for fake posting/blogging. Just Google "Ronn Torossian" and you can read what kind of reputation he has. After you're done reading about his unethical behavior, If that's the kind of person you want running your agency, by all means join!

No advice. It's kind of hopeless.

Who writes these other reviews?

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is slightly higher than others in the industry
    Health benefits are pretty decent

Cons

The company has a clear lack of strategy. It's not so much public relations as it is spamming. Higher ups don't seem to understand that public relations is NOT only about media relations.
    The clients are bottom of the barrel. Imagine sweeping the bottom of a large, dirty, moldy barrel - the brands this agency gets excited to "win" are what's on the very bottom of that barrel.
    Also - who is writing these reviews? Oh, wait, interns are. Every time a negative (honest) review is posted, three or four gleaming reviews are posted to counteract the negative and keep the "stars" up. My favorite: "the sky is the limit!"

There's too much of a lack of thought and strategy. Each plan should be tailored to the client, not a simple template with the client's name plopped in every few paragraphs. Serious public relations is not done that way.
    Update your media lists and STOP spamming reporters.

Great Place To Build A Career

I have been working at 5W Public Relations

Pros

This company is a wonderful place for someone like me who is eager to move ahead and forward. Every day is something different - Sometimes I pitch the media, sometimes its strategy, sometimes its client meetings - but never ever is it slow.

There are multiple layers of management here and I am constantly surprised at the smart people who work at this company throughout every level of management. I really enjoy working here much more than I could have ever thought I would like a job. Great place.

Company is focused on securing results for clients - and thats a pleasure rather than my previous agency which was process focused. Thumbs up all around.

Cons

Sometimes the technology doesnt move as quick as we do. Certain technology issues should be addressed as the company keeps growing... Also, reviews should be kept on the 1 year schedule.

Everything is by and large great - just realize as company grows you have to keep evolving. All things considered 5wpr is just great.

Amazing wonderful company

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my job. In the last year I have been surrounded by some of the most diverse, smart, interesting people. From a Vietnam Vet to a PH.D graduate, I am amazed at the smart people of this company. So different from the previous PR company I worked at. I love what I do every single day.

Good clients, great work and smart people. And the office is SICK.

Cons

Benefits are good, time off is good, and the leadership is good. I think this place is awesome.

Keep going keep growing. And realize that its great

Wonderful Opportunity

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my job every single day. Great clients, challenging peers and an all around great environment. Firm is constantly growing, entrepreneurial clients and I could never imagine working somewhere else.

Cons

Certainly there are easier places to work - but I think the majority of my peers who work here really want to be the best at what they do. Its a great place for the right person.

More of the same. Keep growing. Keep adding great clients.

work hard, play hard...

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They seem to pay more than their competitors and the hiring process for me was quite nice. They go out of their way to bring great people in and make "the first week" really enjoyable. My supervisor took me to lunch my first week and on my first day there were really nice desk flowers on my desk.

Cons

You have to work hard and really know what you are doing, you can't "fake it till ya make it" here or BS your way through... it's pretty transparent when it comes to whether someone is making the cut or not.

The summer Friday hours are a huge plus and the employee training by third party experts / pizza parties mean more to people then you probably understand. People really enjoy just basic perks and when the pressure is on, these give-backs count.

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay
    SOME nice co-workers. Definitely depends on the division.

Cons

Has a very cult-like mentality. The only people who see "growth" in this place are those who get "promotions" every year and therefore have never left. It's a way to keep people and make them THINK they're awesome at their jobs. Throw the majority of these people into other firms and they would sink quickly.
    Clients are consistently lied to
    Clients are by no means top-tier. Those clients listed on the website are the best clients they had…momentarily and then LOST quickly.
    Horrible reputation within the industry. A quick Google search shows that 5W is known for spamming reporters. Don't allow yourself to get that reputation personally as well.
    Ronn, well, he's a joke. Google "Ronn" and "lawsuit" - but only if you have a few seconds, otherwise, you'll get sucked in and lose hours with all the articles you'll read.
    No-name blogs and the Examiner (yes, the Examiner, where anyone can write anything and get paid a penny per click as "compensation") are considered hits, where at other agencies, you would hide these from the clients in hopes they wouldn't think you'd dare pitch such crap

Learn what good media actually is - not all press is good press.
    High school ended…years ago.
    Ronn: saying things such as, "well, don't tell HR I said this, but…." is why you have the reputation you do. And please stop asking people for scoops for Page Six and the NY Observer.

5WPR Is A Company Where Opportunity Is Everywhere

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While I recently left 5WPR as I moved out of New York, the 2+ years I spent there were the best professional years of my life. Learned so much, had awesome A+ clients (I worked on McDonalds & Microsoft), and my boss was a mentor who I expect to be with me throughout my career. The office is gorgeous and very smart people work there. Enjoyed it.

Cons

Not unlike other PR Agencies, it is demanding.

Keep doing more of the same.

5W Public Relations Photos