5W Public Relations

www.5wpr.com

5W Public Relations Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Ronn D. Torossian

Pros
  • Great place to learn about the PR business, develop relationships with media and work on a variety of clients (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to learn PR industry (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Often long hours, but the hard work pays off in the end (in 5 reviews)

• Its a great place for the right person (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place To Build A Career

ProsThis company is a wonderful place for someone like me who is eager to move ahead and forward. Every day is something different - Sometimes I pitch the media, sometimes its strategy, sometimes its client meetings - but never ever is it slow.

There are multiple layers of management here and I am constantly surprised at the smart people who work at this company throughout every level of management. I really enjoy working here much more than I could have ever thought I would like a job. Great place.

Company is focused on securing results for clients - and thats a pleasure rather than my previous agency which was process focused. Thumbs up all around.

ConsSometimes the technology doesnt move as quick as we do. Certain technology issues should be addressed as the company keeps growing... Also, reviews should be kept on the 1 year schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is by and large great - just realize as company grows you have to keep evolving. All things considered 5wpr is just great.

Amazing wonderful company

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsI love my job. In the last year I have been surrounded by some of the most diverse, smart, interesting people. From a Vietnam Vet to a PH.D graduate, I am amazed at the smart people of this company. So different from the previous PR company I worked at. I love what I do every single day.

Good clients, great work and smart people. And the office is SICK.

ConsBenefits are good, time off is good, and the leadership is good. I think this place is awesome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going keep growing. And realize that its great

work hard, play hard...

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey seem to pay more than their competitors and the hiring process for me was quite nice. They go out of their way to bring great people in and make "the first week" really enjoyable. My supervisor took me to lunch my first week and on my first day there were really nice desk flowers on my desk.

ConsYou have to work hard and really know what you are doing, you can't "fake it till ya make it" here or BS your way through... it's pretty transparent when it comes to whether someone is making the cut or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe summer Friday hours are a huge plus and the employee training by third party experts / pizza parties mean more to people then you probably understand. People really enjoy just basic perks and when the pressure is on, these give-backs count.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Opportunity

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI love my job every single day. Great clients, challenging peers and an all around great environment. Firm is constantly growing, entrepreneurial clients and I could never imagine working somewhere else.

ConsCertainly there are easier places to work - but I think the majority of my peers who work here really want to be the best at what they do. Its a great place for the right person.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore of the same. Keep growing. Keep adding great clients.

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

Account Supervisor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent pay
    SOME nice co-workers. Definitely depends on the division.

ConsHas a very cult-like mentality. The only people who see "growth" in this place are those who get "promotions" every year and therefore have never left. It's a way to keep people and make them THINK they're awesome at their jobs. Throw the majority of these people into other firms and they would sink quickly.
    Clients are consistently lied to
    Clients are by no means top-tier. Those clients listed on the website are the best clients they had…momentarily and then LOST quickly.
    Horrible reputation within the industry. A quick Google search shows that 5W is known for spamming reporters. Don't allow yourself to get that reputation personally as well.
    Ronn, well, he's a joke. Google "Ronn" and "lawsuit" - but only if you have a few seconds, otherwise, you'll get sucked in and lose hours with all the articles you'll read.
    No-name blogs and the Examiner (yes, the Examiner, where anyone can write anything and get paid a penny per click as "compensation") are considered hits, where at other agencies, you would hide these from the clients in hopes they wouldn't think you'd dare pitch such crap

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what good media actually is - not all press is good press.
    High school ended…years ago.
    Ronn: saying things such as, "well, don't tell HR I said this, but…." is why you have the reputation you do. And please stop asking people for scoops for Page Six and the NY Observer.

5WPR Is A Company Where Opportunity Is Everywhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhile I recently left 5WPR as I moved out of New York, the 2+ years I spent there were the best professional years of my life. Learned so much, had awesome A+ clients (I worked on McDonalds & Microsoft), and my boss was a mentor who I expect to be with me throughout my career. The office is gorgeous and very smart people work there. Enjoyed it.

ConsNot unlike other PR Agencies, it is demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing more of the same.

Learned so much!

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearned so much about crafting and formatting of a 'proper' press release and headline. Everyone was very cool and approachable to work with.

ConsLeadership pushed you to get results at any cost = sometimes without attention to quality of execution or results.

My experience working at 5W PR

Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat management team. They really motivate you and guide you on how to succeed. great office, comfortable working environment. You can be a star, if you want to succeed in this industry. Great place to learn PR industry

ConsIf you don't love ur job, this is not the place for you. People here are passionate about what they do.

Senior Account Executive

ProsThe clients are top notch and the media connections I have made has been excellent for my career.

ConsThe only con I think of is work load. That's a good problem because the company is significantly growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management provides guidance and leadership for all scenarios. I learned on Day 1 how to pitch and how to run an account. I feel like I can handle any media situation and any client problem.

This place is a joke

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-If Ron likes you, he will create a sketchy contract with great financial incentive to stay at company.
    -You will learn how to pitch anything and everything because if you don't get hits you are fired and the clients generally suck and are difficult to pitch

Cons-terrible work hours and awful holidays vacation (open on Xmas eve and NYE eve, no summer fridays)
    -all that matters is that you can pitch - people get promoted solely based on volume of hits. As a result, titles are a joke and idiotic people can move up quickly
    -no strategy or planning - I was in for a rude awakening when I left and realized I had never been taught how to create a plan or strategy properly
    -gossip is out of control
    -awful management (screaming, yelling, catty) Very senior staff sends nasty emails and one senior person once told us if we wanted to leave at 6 we should have been school teachers and barks at all her employees like a maniac
    -literally no culture of fun office stuff, it was so depressing being in that office
    -really bad rep in the industry makes it very hard to get a job after leaving here - legit companies will question your experience

Advice to Senior ManagementWho wrote all these fake reviews? I've never worked at a company where so many people were so grossly unhappy and so many idiotic people moved up so quickly - so I'm wondering who wrote all the fake reviews here. Do not work here unless you are an intern looking to gain experience for your resume!

Worked for 5W Public Relations? Contribute to the Community!