5W Public Relations Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Ronn D. Torossian

Pros
  • Great place to learn all about PR, and media pitching (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to learn about the PR business, develop relationships with media and work on a variety of clients (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Ron not very present, demanding clients, had to ask for tasks as an intern, non-paid internship (in 5 reviews)

• The company has a significant lack of strategy, aside from media relations alone (in 3 reviews)

1. Great experiences

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time

Pros

I have had some great experiences and working with amazing staff and clients at 5W. I love that my days are busy and no day is ever the same. I enjoy the challenges thrown at me everyday.

Cons

There isn't a lot of downtime, to stop and do nothing and some days that would be nice.

Advice to Management

Not every environment is for everyone and when you see it's not working let go of the person sooner then later.

Love 5WPR - Amazing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked for 5WPR for 3.5 years I can honestly say that I love my job. Every day is a different challenge, I learn from some of the best and the brightest in the industry and the clients provide gratifying work. This truly is everything I envision wanting from a public relations company. Love what I do.

Cons

There was a senior manager who lasted 2 weeks at the firm and made some people nuts. Clearly he's still here posting all over this very site (as one can see from his mistakes and the same style of writing.). The cons were strong in the 10 days he was at the firm - he's gone, although still posting here. 5wpr is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing we love it we appreciate it. Great vacation schedule, strong benefits. Keep going and keep making it happen.

3. Growing at 5W

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my third month at 5W, I already feel like I'm on a positive career path at the agency. My team members have been encouraging and incredibly helpful. I was welcomed from day 1.

Cons

I do not have any criticism thus far.

Advice to Management

Again, happy as of now. I say continue to welcome new employees in with open arms.

5W is Where it's At

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For those that have an entrepreneurial go-gettem mentality you will thrive here. If you can sink your teeth in and put in the hard work you are rewarded handsomely. Don't believe a lot of what you read here, most of these reviews were written by those that simply couldn't cut it. Sorry you don't have the chops.

Cons

5W is a traditional media powerhouse. This is also a crutch for them because they should be pushing newer services rather than old media relations.

Advice to Management

You have built a great agency and theres still so much room to grow. Keep your head down and growing your services!

Not the right way to do anything.

I worked at 5W Public Relations

Pros

For the most part, the people at 5W are wonderful. The pay is competitive. The clients are good, the office is nice, and there is plenty of entertainment to go around.

Cons

The entertainment is not suitable for work. In order to work there you must grow accustomed to people crying (no, make that wailing) in the office. Leadership runs around like a chicken with its head cut off. Employees are forced to pitch "round peg into square hole" pitches on a consistent basis, which results in constant public shaming from reporters, and from colleagues when you don't get results. Some senior level executives are rude, intimidating, inappropriate, etc. Most importantly -- there is absolutely zero strategy on any given day. I was embarrassed by the things I had to do there. Oh, and read the CEO's book. Might as well tell you now before he and the firm tell you 4,000 times in all caps tweets or e-mails.

Advice to Management

You need someone to take control of operations. The CEO needs to be removed from the day-to-day.

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

5W is a great place to learn, easy going environment (if you know how to get your work done) and an atmosphere that encourages growth

Cons

5W can have team members working on too many accounts at times which makes it difficult to focus on one and really get those meaningful results

Advice to Management

Hire more people as we continue to grow!

Avoid at all costs

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is competitive and they will throw money at you in a desperate attempt to keep you but it's NOT worth it. If you're a greedy person, have zero self respect and want to tarnish your rep within the industry, you'll do well at this company.

Cons

- I almost ruined my career by staying here for the short 3 months I was there - I was brought on to work on a "growing" fashion team and lied to about what clients they actually have..none of the clients actually existed once I finally started - The pitching method of throwing spaghetti at a wall to see what sticks, is not the way to be a successful publicist and editors will think you are a complete joke - Unfortunately the "fashion" clients are such a joke that results were minimal which resulted in the CEO and senior staff becoming monsters and asking you to get x amount of placements to add to the pathetic monthly reports in as little as 30 mins sometimes - beware of employees who have been with the company over a year. They have drank so much of the koolaide that they will do anything it takes to get ahead. They are the greedy people I speak of in the "Pros" section above - The worst company culture I've ever experienced - Upper management would often spread gossip to pin employees against one another for their own amusement

Advice to Management

You should sincerely consider shutting this place down and doing something else with your time. This company ruins lives and careers.

Absolute WORST and most TOXIC place to work..EVER

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly the only pro I can think of is that the office is located in a convenient part of Midtown, Manhattan but the CEO is so cheap and rents out half the office space to other companies, so there is barely any more room for new employees. The cubicles are so close together, with nothing but screens to separate each one that you have absolutely 0 privacy at this place. So yeah. No pro's here.

Cons

Where do I even begin...I don't even need to get started with how insane the CEO is because all you need to do is google him to figure that one out. The office manager has crawled so far up his you know what that she follows him around like a sad and loyal puppy and will fire anyone who disagrees with how things work at the company. They fire literally ANYONE who stands up to the abusive behavior and just tells you they are doing a layoff but they actually aren't. The website is all lies, they don't represent any celebrities or even well known clients for that matter because good companies know what a bad reputation this place has in the PR industry. They have lost so many clients in the past few months and are sinking fast. I can't imagine this company will be around for much longer with all the business they are losing and by how much turnover there is at this sad, pathetic excuse for a PR firm. I highly recommend never going close to this place because not only will it ruin your career but you will go broke paying for all the therapy you will need after spending just one day in this nut house. Seriously. Don't believe any of the positive reviews on here, they are all written by interns and employees at the request of a DESPERATE email from the CEO begging you to write a good review "NOW NOW NOW" after a bad one goes up. I have never known an employee to actually like working at 5W and that is the absolute truth. If you want to be screamed at both in person and through email, get treated like a dog, work endless hours with no overtime pay, and receive practically no benefits then you should apply here.

Advice to Management

Don't stick to your day job, you'll save many people from experiencing the agony of working for this joke of a PR firm

It's very tough to get another job after working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managing 18-20 small clients (ha!)

Cons

After being here for over 5 years. I can't get another job at a large agency as they frown upon my present employer. I literally did not know that everyone out there does not want experience from here. I've had a few friends at other companies tell me they can't hire me because nobody likes the experience from this company.

Advice to Management

I've seen all the poor behavior from our management for year. I did not know that the rest of the industry frowns on us this much.

Why I came back to 5WPR

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked in many agency and in-house positions over the past 13 years - I've even run my own shop - and I can say that 5W has offered me the best opportunities to build a career, work with smart entrepreneurial clients, and build out a strong team of people I trust and can turn to. After leaving 2 years ago to work in-house at a large and very well known tech company, I came back to 5W to help run what is now a fast-growing, high-paced and very tight-knit technology practice. The fact that most people on this team have stayed 3-5 years speaks volumes to the culture and opportunities we're providing. Low turnover is an anomaly in the PR industry. No, this company isn't for everyone. It's for those who want to earn their success - that is, roll up your sleeves, produce results, lead by your actions, and challenge yourself to become a better PR and communications specialist every day. Do those things, and you'll be rewarded with opportunities that other firms simply cannot provide.

Cons

We're constantly growing and learning, so like any business some pains can be expected. With those lessons (and yes, some failures) comes a lot of iteration and improvements, which in the long run provides valuable experiences for individuals and practice areas overall.

Advice to Management

Keep finding smart, hungry and talented people who want to be successful now and build a long-lasting career in this industry. Keep differentiating the company from the competitors - there are many unique advantages in our approach and capabilities that appeal to talent and clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed