5W Public Relations
www.5wpr.com New York, NY 50 to 149 Employees

5W Public Relations Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Ronn D. Torossian

Pros:
  • "Great place to learn all about PR, and media pitching"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great place to learn about the PR business, develop relationships with media and work on a variety of clients"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Much like other PR firms its very long hours"
    in 5 reviews
  • "You have to be a self starter as it is not a place for slackers"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

My experience working at 5W PR

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat management team. They really motivate you and guide you on how to succeed. great office, comfortable working environment. You can be a star, if you want to succeed in this industry. Great place to learn PR industry

ConsIf you don't love ur job, this is not the place for you. People here are passionate about what they do.

Senior Account Executive

I have been working at 5W Public Relations for more than a year

ProsThe clients are top notch and the media connections I have made has been excellent for my career.

ConsThe only con I think of is work load. That's a good problem because the company is significantly growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management provides guidance and leadership for all scenarios. I learned on Day 1 how to pitch and how to run an account. I feel like I can handle any media situation and any client problem.

Learned so much!

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time for less than a year

ProsLearned so much about crafting and formatting of a 'proper' press release and headline. Everyone was very cool and approachable to work with.

ConsLeadership pushed you to get results at any cost = sometimes without attention to quality of execution or results.

Quantity over Quality

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time for less than a year

Pros-Get to hone skills in perfectionism since the slightest error like a bullet that isn't formatted exactly right on a client agenda is called out.
-Lots of potential for building a portfolio pitching any and all media

Cons-Those higher up are more interested in having 10 measly blog posts without decent uvm's than one national placement or segment on TV.
-There is no training or mentoring and ACs/AEs are expected to run accounts in place of SAEs that prefer to be out to lunch all day.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop representing companies that you don't the agency affiliated with and stop allowing favoritism and those higher up to get away with doing no work while those beneath them scrape to get the accounts in order.

This was my first experience in a NYC public relations firm, and I did end up learning quite a lot about the field.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at 5W Public Relations as an intern for less than a year

ProsGrowing company, well-known clients, good supervisors, fun perks

ConsLong hours, Ron not very present, demanding clients, had to ask for tasks as an intern, non-paid internship

Wrecking Ball

I have been working at 5W Public Relations

ProsIf you desire to be the smartest person in the room and have a brain with am IQ of more than 52 - this place is for you - you will standout and be recognized as pure genius -

ConsNever in my life have I witnessed such a mess of an agency at every level of the organization - upper management who couldn't find their way at of a box - to mid level and junior staff that literally know nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have created the perfect agency - literally it is an agency about nothing - seriously - can't believe I have stayed 3 years - but I am out interviewing and when people ask about my experience they laugh in my face and say some interesting things indeed - especially about the CEO - wow wow wow

One of the best PR firms to work for in NYC

Account Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time for less than a year

Pros5W is very organized and structured, allowing for smooth transitions into different account rolls and great for entry level employees to learn the basics of public relations. There is a very good work/life balance and it is a very relaxed and friendly environment. A lot of opportunity for growth as well.

ConsWorkload falls heavily on AC's/AAE's whereas certain SAE's and Account Supervisor's seem to slack off and come and go throughout the day as they please.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should listen more to employees when it comes to their interests in working with certain clients or within a certain division.

5WPR is a great place to work

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEvery single day is something different and it is truly a place where I can say management cares about their employees and clients day in day out. I love the place really cant say enough good things.

ConsSometimes wish we had more professional training and organized management feedback at the company. That would make it better.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing great things for us.

Fast-paced work environment, sink or swim.

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at 5W Public Relations as an intern for less than a year

ProsAmazing resources and contact network, new offices are located in Midtown NYC, generally kind and nice co-workers, extensive clientele and expertise among many different industries.

ConsSome computer problems stemming from viruses slow down effectiveness of employees, organization of new office is still not optimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire a more permanent and involved Intern Program manager, the intern program as is still needs work to become a more efficient workforce.

Great Overall Experience

Health and Beauty Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at 5W Public Relations as an intern for less than a year

ProsSupervisors and executives are extremely knowledgeable and willing to teach and help you learn. Very positive experience working on projects and given feedback that has helped progress a lot.

ConsThere is a lot of down time due to the amount of interns on each team. No compensation for travel or meals.

Worked for 5W Public Relations? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 5W Public Relations reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 5W Public Relations CEO Ronn D. Torossian. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by 5W Public Relations employees.