5W Public Relations Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

4.2

Ronn D. Torossian

Pros
  • Great place to learn about the PR business, develop relationships with media and work on a variety of clients (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to learn PR industry (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Often long hours, but the hard work pays off in the end (in 5 reviews)

• Its a great place for the right person (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place To Build A Career

I have been working at 5W Public Relations

Pros

This company is a wonderful place for someone like me who is eager to move ahead and forward. Every day is something different - Sometimes I pitch the media, sometimes its strategy, sometimes its client meetings - but never ever is it slow.

There are multiple layers of management here and I am constantly surprised at the smart people who work at this company throughout every level of management. I really enjoy working here much more than I could have ever thought I would like a job. Great place.

Company is focused on securing results for clients - and thats a pleasure rather than my previous agency which was process focused. Thumbs up all around.

Cons

Sometimes the technology doesnt move as quick as we do. Certain technology issues should be addressed as the company keeps growing... Also, reviews should be kept on the 1 year schedule.

Everything is by and large great - just realize as company grows you have to keep evolving. All things considered 5wpr is just great.

Don't Bother

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a paycheck that isn't too bad - but this is also because they up charge clients out the wazoo.

Cons

I managed to last five months before I knew I had to get out. Zero knowledge of the public relations industry. Having access to a Cision account does not mean you know how to be a proper publicist. Any media hit is considered a "win".
    Also absolutely NO sense of ethics. Clients pay a monthly retainer plus a 17.5% agency fee for an event - which is standard - however, there's now an additional fee they're sneakily adding on, PLUS you know, just round up a few hundred here, couple hundred there, which is before the 17.5% fee is added on.

Take a proper course in public relations. Step away from the shoddy media list and learn what PR truly is. Hint: it's not JUST media relations.

Who writes these other reviews?

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is slightly higher than others in the industry
    Health benefits are pretty decent

Cons

The company has a clear lack of strategy. It's not so much public relations as it is spamming. Higher ups don't seem to understand that public relations is NOT only about media relations.
    The clients are bottom of the barrel. Imagine sweeping the bottom of a large, dirty, moldy barrel - the brands this agency gets excited to "win" are what's on the very bottom of that barrel.
    Also - who is writing these reviews? Oh, wait, interns are. Every time a negative (honest) review is posted, three or four gleaming reviews are posted to counteract the negative and keep the "stars" up. My favorite: "the sky is the limit!"

There's too much of a lack of thought and strategy. Each plan should be tailored to the client, not a simple template with the client's name plopped in every few paragraphs. Serious public relations is not done that way.
    Update your media lists and STOP spamming reporters.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing wonderful company

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love my job. In the last year I have been surrounded by some of the most diverse, smart, interesting people. From a Vietnam Vet to a PH.D graduate, I am amazed at the smart people of this company. So different from the previous PR company I worked at. I love what I do every single day.

Good clients, great work and smart people. And the office is SICK.

Cons

Benefits are good, time off is good, and the leadership is good. I think this place is awesome.

Keep going keep growing. And realize that its great

work hard, play hard...

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than a year

Pros

They seem to pay more than their competitors and the hiring process for me was quite nice. They go out of their way to bring great people in and make "the first week" really enjoyable. My supervisor took me to lunch my first week and on my first day there were really nice desk flowers on my desk.

Cons

You have to work hard and really know what you are doing, you can't "fake it till ya make it" here or BS your way through... it's pretty transparent when it comes to whether someone is making the cut or not.

The summer Friday hours are a huge plus and the employee training by third party experts / pizza parties mean more to people then you probably understand. People really enjoy just basic perks and when the pressure is on, these give-backs count.

Wonderful Opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love my job every single day. Great clients, challenging peers and an all around great environment. Firm is constantly growing, entrepreneurial clients and I could never imagine working somewhere else.

Cons

Certainly there are easier places to work - but I think the majority of my peers who work here really want to be the best at what they do. Its a great place for the right person.

More of the same. Keep growing. Keep adding great clients.

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Account Supervisor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay
    SOME nice co-workers. Definitely depends on the division.

Cons

Has a very cult-like mentality. The only people who see "growth" in this place are those who get "promotions" every year and therefore have never left. It's a way to keep people and make them THINK they're awesome at their jobs. Throw the majority of these people into other firms and they would sink quickly.
    Clients are consistently lied to
    Clients are by no means top-tier. Those clients listed on the website are the best clients they had…momentarily and then LOST quickly.
    Horrible reputation within the industry. A quick Google search shows that 5W is known for spamming reporters. Don't allow yourself to get that reputation personally as well.
    Ronn, well, he's a joke. Google "Ronn" and "lawsuit" - but only if you have a few seconds, otherwise, you'll get sucked in and lose hours with all the articles you'll read.
    No-name blogs and the Examiner (yes, the Examiner, where anyone can write anything and get paid a penny per click as "compensation") are considered hits, where at other agencies, you would hide these from the clients in hopes they wouldn't think you'd dare pitch such crap

Learn what good media actually is - not all press is good press.
    High school ended…years ago.
    Ronn: saying things such as, "well, don't tell HR I said this, but…." is why you have the reputation you do. And please stop asking people for scoops for Page Six and the NY Observer.

5WPR Is A Company Where Opportunity Is Everywhere

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

While I recently left 5WPR as I moved out of New York, the 2+ years I spent there were the best professional years of my life. Learned so much, had awesome A+ clients (I worked on McDonalds & Microsoft), and my boss was a mentor who I expect to be with me throughout my career. The office is gorgeous and very smart people work there. Enjoyed it.

Cons

Not unlike other PR Agencies, it is demanding.

Keep doing more of the same.

Learned so much!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learned so much about crafting and formatting of a 'proper' press release and headline. Everyone was very cool and approachable to work with.

Cons

Leadership pushed you to get results at any cost = sometimes without attention to quality of execution or results.

My experience working at 5W PR

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great management team. They really motivate you and guide you on how to succeed. great office, comfortable working environment. You can be a star, if you want to succeed in this industry. Great place to learn PR industry

Cons

If you don't love ur job, this is not the place for you. People here are passionate about what they do.

Worked for 5W Public Relations? Contribute to the Community!