7-Eleven

Be The First To
Add Photos

7-Eleven President and CEO Joe DePinto

Joe DePinto

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule with the ability to work either independently or with a team"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Free Slurpees, Coffee, Expired Sandwiches"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Must be flexible and available to work long hours"
    in 15 reviews
  • "NO work/life balance, Managers are expected to work 5 days a week and 1/2 day on the weekend for 50"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Experience

ProsGood Pay, Good Experience, Good Training

ConsBrutal Hours, Overworked, Barely any time off

A easy summer part-time job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsFree slurpees for the employees, no need to overtime while just working as a sales associate. There are some tedious jobs cleaning around the store, otherwise pretty easygoing work.

ConsConstant store cleaning due to customer's passing through quite frequently. Although this really also depends on the time of day it is, as the late afternoon is probably the busiest time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFree food such as write-offs to take home !

My First Retail

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI can see plenty of room for advancement if you are willing to put the time in. Hours are flexible and has been a positive change for me!

ConsIt took me 10 months to get to attend some structured training that is really going to benefit myself and my team.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarting out with the Cool Training would be a big plus and really help the success of your managers!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enlightening

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can move up the ladder quickly based on your performance.

ConsLong hours. Boys club issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake yourself less closed when someone seeks your advice.

Good job but needs better understanding of it's employees

Management (Former Employee)

ProsWorking in store is great. You enjoy dealing with the customers and the required workload isn't very hard at all. Hours are often changed based upon yours (and others) requested days off.

ConsDon't buy into that undercover boss garbage. You basically have no voice when it comes to complaints. Even to your human resources manager who pushes off your concerns to those below her rather than deal with you at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to listen to your employee's complaints and don't ignore them because if your employees are happy, they work better for you. If they feel miserable because they think the company doesn't care a bit about them (Because of a human resource department that doesn't deal with the human side of the company), then that attitude gets sensed by your customers and then they don't want to shop there.

Overworked and constant threats.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI am still looking for the pros. Was so excited when this company was going to take over the old company. We would finally have some direction.

Cons70+ hour weeks, threats of write-up's to get sales, payroll must be cut by 10%, given twice the work load because of remodel and food being put in, but no extra hours, required to drive to other stores or Wal-Mart to get merchandise that the supplier did not bring, required to go to meetings that require driiving 150 + miles with no compensation. This is just a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking managers and employees to the bone and threats will not produce good employees. Giving regular days off would definitely produce better managers. When managers get too tired, both mentally and physically, does it really do the store and employees any good? Can't wait for my store to be franchised, so that this nightmare will be over.

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood hours and flexible for most schedules

ConsSecurity at times is an issue

Job is interesting, but management stumbles.

Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsEasy to learn the job. Pay is decent, with great benefits compared to similar jobs with other companies.

ConsCorporate stores are painfully understaffed, too much emphasis on upselling things to people who come into the store obviously buying one specific item.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe the best at what you're already good at, stop trying to copy what other companies are doing.

Longest day job in my life

Store Clerk (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsFree drinks and free snacks at times
    The coworkers are nice

ConsRepeating the same tasks on a daily basis
    No room to grow
    No Pay Raises after 2 years of working hard

Advice to Senior ManagementPAy the people who have the been there the longest

Stay on unemployment. If it is running out...maybe.

Retail Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsMy boss is so oblivious as to what is going on that I only have to come to work 2-3 days a week and get paid for full time. Leadership as far up as you would get access to, is oblivious as to what is going on. The pay is pathetic considering the competitors compensation but I guess you could get a second job with a more serious company and make up for it.

ConsIf you need any feedback at all about your work (positive or negative) this is the wrong place for you. If you would like to go over your year end review at any point in time....forget it. The management shies away from definitive statements. You can be fired any time for anything and you will be made feel like that everyday. You will be forced to travel unreasonable distances from your home to assist or run horrible stores. Stores are open 24 hours, you are not allowed to have adequate staff to cover call outs so if you like working weekend overnights by yourself in some of the worst neighborhoods you can imagine fill out your application.

Advice to Senior ManagementServant Leadership is not a punch line. It is a way of thinking and behaving. The behavior and attitude of the upper management is deplorable at ALL times. Involve your staff. People wanted to make careers out of 7Eleven and when you brought the store managers on board you lied frequently and repeatedly about our futures.

Worked for 7-Eleven? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 7-Eleven reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 7-Eleven CEO Joe DePinto. All 362 reviews posted anonymously by 7-Eleven employees.