84 Lumber Reviews

95 reviews filtered by
3.4
84 Lumber President and Owner Maggie Hardy Magerko
Maggie Hardy Magerko

Pros
  • I had to learn a lot from experience and being "thrown to the wolves (in 5 reviews)

• Best training program in the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also the amount of pay does not justify the amount of work and long hours you put in on a weekly basis (in 14 reviews)

• Zero professionalism, mandatory 48 hour work week (which is a joke (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Area Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere
    Freedom to run store to fit the market
    Excellent bonus opportunities and competitive salary
    Great ownership, owner cares about her people

Cons

If you lack work ethic, you need not apply. This is a physical job from manager trainee to manager. Heavy diet of math as well.

Mar 12, 2015Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate all you do!

2. It's hard work, but I enjoyed learning the ropes as a Yard Associate and the responsibility.

Former Employee - Yard Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Yard Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at 84 Lumber part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid pay. Good work environment. Professional yet gritty. Everyone has responsibilities which are absolutely integral to the business's success. Rewarding.

Cons

Some days can be brutal, especially in the the hot summer months or the cold winter months. I was fortunate enough to work at a store where everyone was aware of their surroundings and safe, however, if you or others aren't paying attention someone could be seriously injured.

Some of the materials in the warehouse that are used more frequently in lumber loads should be located close to where ever the loads are being banded. Tyvek is one of those materials.

3. Great potential for growth, Phenomenal team environment; From the bottom all the way to the owner!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Clarion, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Clarion, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

So many opportunities, You are in charge of your future! Competitive entry-level wages, Fantastic training. I've been with 84 Lumber for 17 years, and "nothing is impossible!" I learn something new everyday, enjoy the "family" type environment my employees share, and look forward to making a difference.

Cons

Sometimes employee turnaround leaves something to be desired. Our customers look forward to building a relationship with an associate, and one day, they are promoted out. That's the name of the game I suppose, but I'm personally one for not promoting too early, or out of desperation.

Limit lateral (same position, different store) transfers. Transferring to a busier store in the same position is not the way to advance one's career...hard work and promotion is the way to go.

Mar 12, 2015Recruiting Manager

We appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

5. Gotta pay your dues

Current Employee - Co Manager in North East, PA
    Current Employee - Co Manager in North East, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber (more than a year)

Pros

Good money if you are willing to work hard and are lucky enough to be promoted into a good situation. Room to grow if you put in the time and are willing to relocate. Variety of daily activity keeps you out of any monotonous routine.

Cons

Each store has its own personality if you aren't adaptable to different types of people it can be hard to fit in. Fitting in is important because these people are your new family seeing them 50+ hours a week. Some "elite" managers less likely to help in to day-to-day operations and not enough mid level people to pick up the slack. Being a Co-manager is the worst time you'll have with company have fun working every Saturday and every holiday. Trying to use vacation time can be difficult because there's only one person who can cover your hours and that's the guy who approves your time off.

more mid level personnel at store level.
    A little professionalism could go a long way in upper management. Vulgar or passive aggressive emails from corporate management do far more harm than good

6. Great Company!

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training
    People
    Performance based promotion and pay structure.
    Very active work environment

Cons

Relocation is required.
    Dealing with the elements.
    Long hours can be required at times.

Mar 12, 2015Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, we appreciate your time!

7. Best decision of my life.

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, high reward company.
    The sky is the limit to your advancement in management or sales.
    IF, you put in hard work and effort.
    Family environment.

Cons

You must be ready to work hard or you will not make it at 84 Lumber.

Mar 12, 2015Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, we appreciate you!

8. Greatest opportunity of my life, the company has been supportive on my path thus far!

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Columbia Station, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Columbia Station, OH

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The opportunity for advancement, hands down this company will make me succeed not only in my career with them but my life in its entirety.

Cons

Working in all weather conditions, but it is the nature of the beast so even though it is a "con" I love it!

Train everyone, especially those who seek the knowledge!!

Mar 12, 2015Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, best of luck to you in your career!

9. Not for me. Company is looking for zombies to be "yes" men. Wants strong backs with weak minds.

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Charleston, WV
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Charleston, WV

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

They do offer lots of training and knowledge if you are new to the industry.

Cons

Long hours. Low pay. Corporate personnel are a joke and lazy at best. Overworked and underpaid.

Care about your workers and don't be so steadfast to throw them to the wolves over 1 mistake.

Mar 12, 2015Recruiting Manager

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Our Team Headquarters is here to support over 4,200 associates. If you feel you have had a bad experience and would like to discuss this with someone, please ... More

10. Always at the mercy of the manager

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

Great place to learn trade knowledge and products.

Cons

The success you will have is up to the manager of the store, for better or for worse. Pay is terrible unless you are a CSR, OSR, sales coordnator, Ops manager, co manager or store manager. If your a headstrong young woman you are cornered into having to work in the Team Headquarters which is located in a small town with no draw, and they will tell you that the CEO Maggie worked as a MT but im sure she wasnt treated any different than any other MT, right.

I started as a Yard Personnel getting paid basically minimum wage to work outside on a forklift from 7am to 6pm, and in 6 months I became a MT. I worked under a less than personable Co-Manager for 8 months untill I was promoted to be a Co-Manager in a city that was 450 miles away from my hometown. A week before I was set to leave the Co-Manager was terminated for reason I cannot say in fear of character defamation. So I was forced to stay and work the front counter of my store for about 2 months, causing me to work 55hr weeks consistently. After doing this you would think thaty manager would be gratefull and allow me to leave with some time off to prepare for my move, but instead he told me I had to work the 5 days before my first day at my new store. After moving 450 miles and signing leases for my appartment and urilities, I was told three months into my new position that I was not being fired, but instead I needed to be transfered because my manager had his doubts to whether I could handle my job come summer time, and devided that to instead of actually letting me fo the job I was hired to do, he preemptively decided that I had failed. The kicker is the only position open is another 600 miles from my family. The only advice I have to young people aspiring to be successful in this company is to use the company for all of the training you can and be best friends with your store manager. Because if you think that you can get by on working as hard as you can and being loyal to the company, this isnt the place for you.

Mar 12, 2015Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. If you feel you would like to discuss these issues with someone in HR, please feel to contact us.

11. Orwellian experience of 84 Lumber

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good news if you smoke -- feel free to do that inside the warehouse you'll be working in. Meeting local contractors, learning the reputable ones and the scam artists. Good employee discounts if you just purchased a fixer-upper.

Cons

Blatant racism and sexism. Monolithic central office. Scheduled around a 48 hour work week. Store hours changed with less than a weeks notice. Arcane bonus system. Every store sells common items at different prices based on replacement costs at THAT location. If you want a promotion, prepare to move long-distance

Here's a HR tip: Don't tell someone that you, "Usually don't hire men to work in the office because we don't want to have to hire women in the stores." That's highly illegal. A HR professional, male or female should never verbalize a systematic plan to ignore the EEOA. But, you get what you pay for, and they don't pay much.

Feb 23, 2015Recruiting Manager

Hello and thank you for your feedback! Sounds like there has been a cross in communication regarding 84 Lumber hiring practices. 84 Lumber will select the best fit candidate for any of our positions ... More