84 Lumber

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

84 Lumber President and Owner Maggie Hardy Magerko
Maggie Hardy Magerko

Pros
  • I had to learn a lot from experience and being "thrown to the wolves (in 5 reviews)

• Best training program in the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also the amount of pay does not justify the amount of work and long hours you put in on a weekly basis (in 14 reviews)

• Zero professionalism, mandatory 48 hour work week (which is a joke (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities for those who are willing to work for it.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Altamont, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Altamont, NY

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Can be a Store Manager in as little as 2 years
    *Great training in sales and blueprint take offs
    *Largest privately owned lumber company in the US
    *Women owned business
    *Several different career paths available
    *Excellent bonus structure

Cons

*48 hour work week (you get use to it)
    *Must be clean shaven
    *Sales goals are challenging (but still obtainable)
    *Poor mileage reimbursement for salesman

Fell short upgrading with the times. The computer system works but is should have be updated more frequently.

Great Company

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay (Especially Managers)
    Team Environment
    Near 100% promotion from With in
    Great on the job training
    Fast paced work environment

Cons

Standard 48 hour work week
    Have to be willing to relocate to be promoted
    Lack of heat in some stores

Update stores to a more modern retail experience

Good place to learn.

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of room for advancement based off of individual effort.

Cons

Business philosophy has not developed over time.

Get more connected to the needs of new hires.

Mamager

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

Great career path and chance of growth !!!

Cons

Long hours , sometimes cold stores!!!

High expectations- bad working conditions

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in New York, NY

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

Took the position because it was close to home, seemed to have a nice promotion and advancement program. Pay was low but looked like you could move up quickly.

Cons

The MT position is basically a "do all" type position. You are required to sell but will spend much of your time out in the lumber yard building huge lumber loads for not only your customers but also for the seasoned sales staff. You will be required to do deliveries as well as stock merchandise and maintain the store. 80% of the job is physical with little customer contact or interaction on most days. The bonus levels are near impossible due to this fact so don't plan on making commission often. This position is at the bottom of the rung basically with the driver yard guy position just below you. Hours are long with a minimal break if you actually get one, in medieval conditions like no a/c or heat. Equipment training is minimal and the equipment is borderline safe. Very little attention is given to maintaining safe working conditions. You will be required to operate saws and forklifts that have not been maintained or have safety equipment removed or in disrepair. If you get injured, you are still expected to perform your job duties despite the injury. Managers are young, inexperienced, moody and abusive at times due to their expectations and hard to meet budget goals. Computers are constantly in disrepair and are 1980 technology for the most part. A very frustrating and difficult job all around especially during winter with extreme cold and snowy conditions, the expectations are the same.

Develop a better delivery schedule, pace the loads better. Require sales staff to assist with their deliveries a bit more, allow longer breaks, be emathetic to the various working conditions when it's weather related. Work on employee moral when things are tough and employees are exhausted. Reward the performing MTs when they are excelling, a simple "good job" goes a long way as does grooming for advancement when it's due. Pay attention to safety concerns, spend money on keeping equipment safe and operating correctly rather than saving money to get a bonus year end.

Worked with very friendly staff, it included long hours and manual labor.

I worked at 84 Lumber

Pros

Friendly Staff, Satisfactory Compensation, Great Work Area

Cons

The only aspect of the job that I was not happy with is the unpredictable hours

Positive

Former Employee - Co-Manager in West Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in West Springfield, MA

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to advance quickly is there if you work very hard. And when I say very hard, I mean above and beyond any other retail job out there I've ever experienced. You get a lot of exercise, physically and mentally and hardly ever sit down. It's a great opportunity to learn about a very large unique industry. Experience is great, other employers love seasoned 84 workers because they know they can tackle the toughest and most brutal conditions and hours. The pay 'may' be excellent for 'some' full time positions. Entry level and mid management offer a great opportunity to learn what running a business is like. If you prove yourself you can be entrusted with a lot of responsibility Your pay is directly effected by the bottom line so you care about what you are doing.

Cons

You have to relocate to advance. Working conditions required a hearty attitude to bear. Most locations have little or no climate control. So bundle up in the winter because you will be cold. Biggest challenge I had was after being promoted and moving out of state, the next year they lowered my pay $6,000 a year because they said I made too much money. Then they offered me another promotion, requiring relocation again, with no pay increase at all, but a promise of a better bonus potential.

Watch the muscle while you're trimming the fat, you hurt yourselves trying to lean down so much.

Great place to work if your willing to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Support is great, Training is unlimited, Your ability to make money is never capped, Ability to move all over the country if you want. Owner is willing to invest her own money into the company. You get out what you put in.

Cons

Bad base pay hard to keep good employees sometimes. Need to update systems in store, understaffed at times

Keep investing in your employees from the ground up we are on the up-swing in this industry and we need to keep all the good employees we can. Maybe increase the base pay for the hours worked it is low for industry standards. Keep expanding there are markets we should get back into before our competition gets in there. Invest in markets where there are few stores give them every thing they need to grow and be profitable.

work life

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learn new skills to be a manger. Learn sales, and how to build a house from the ground up. You get bonuses on sales, by meeting quotos. can gt up too an extra 1300 a month depending on sales quotos.

Cons

Cold during winters since no heating. The lack of customers in the winter is not that great. The company dosent adapt to new changes in this century.

Great company

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time

Pros

Great boss, no weekends, no holidays, Fun contests

Cons

Long hours- 50 hour work week, Low Salary,