84 Lumber

Updated March 1, 2015
3.3

84 Lumber President and Owner Maggie Hardy Magerko
Maggie Hardy Magerko

Pros
  • I had to learn a lot from experience and being "thrown to the wolves (in 5 reviews)

• Best training program in the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also the amount of pay does not justify the amount of work and long hours you put in on a weekly basis (in 14 reviews)

• Zero professionalism, mandatory 48 hour work week (which is a joke (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great Company

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay (Especially Managers)
    Team Environment
    Near 100% promotion from With in
    Great on the job training
    Fast paced work environment

Cons

Standard 48 hour work week
    Have to be willing to relocate to be promoted
    Lack of heat in some stores

Update stores to a more modern retail experience

Dec 30, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thank you very much for writing a review! We appreciate your feedback and suggestions for improvement! Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year!

Great potential for growth, Phenomenal team environment; From the bottom all the way to the owner!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Clarion, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Clarion, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

So many opportunities, You are in charge of your future! Competitive entry-level wages, Fantastic training. I've been with 84 Lumber for 17 years, and "nothing is impossible!" I learn something new everyday, enjoy the "family" type environment my employees share, and look forward to making a difference.

Cons

Sometimes employee turnaround leaves something to be desired. Our customers look forward to building a relationship with an associate, and one day, they are promoted out. That's the name of the game I suppose, but I'm personally one for not promoting too early, or out of desperation.

Limit lateral (same position, different store) transfers. Transferring to a busier store in the same position is not the way to advance one's career...hard work and promotion is the way to go.

Greatest opportunity of my life, the company has been supportive on my path thus far!

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Columbia Station, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Columbia Station, OH

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The opportunity for advancement, hands down this company will make me succeed not only in my career with them but my life in its entirety.

Cons

Working in all weather conditions, but it is the nature of the beast so even though it is a "con" I love it!

Train everyone, especially those who seek the knowledge!!

Great Company!

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training
    People
    Performance based promotion and pay structure.
    Very active work environment

Cons

Relocation is required.
    Dealing with the elements.
    Long hours can be required at times.

Best decision of my life.

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, high reward company.
    The sky is the limit to your advancement in management or sales.
    IF, you put in hard work and effort.
    Family environment.

Cons

You must be ready to work hard or you will not make it at 84 Lumber.

Always at the mercy of the manager

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

Great place to learn trade knowledge and products.

Cons

The success you will have is up to the manager of the store, for better or for worse. Pay is terrible unless you are a CSR, OSR, sales coordnator, Ops manager, co manager or store manager. If your a headstrong young woman you are cornered into having to work in the Team Headquarters which is located in a small town with no draw, and they will tell you that the CEO Maggie worked as a MT but im sure she wasnt treated any different than any other MT, right.

I started as a Yard Personnel getting paid basically minimum wage to work outside on a forklift from 7am to 6pm, and in 6 months I became a MT. I worked under a less than personable Co-Manager for 8 months untill I was promoted to be a Co-Manager in a city that was 450 miles away from my hometown. A week before I was set to leave the Co-Manager was terminated for reason I cannot say in fear of character defamation. So I was forced to stay and work the front counter of my store for about 2 months, causing me to work 55hr weeks consistently. After doing this you would think thaty manager would be gratefull and allow me to leave with some time off to prepare for my move, but instead he told me I had to work the 5 days before my first day at my new store. After moving 450 miles and signing leases for my appartment and urilities, I was told three months into my new position that I was not being fired, but instead I needed to be transfered because my manager had his doubts to whether I could handle my job come summer time, and devided that to instead of actually letting me fo the job I was hired to do, he preemptively decided that I had failed. The kicker is the only position open is another 600 miles from my family. The only advice I have to young people aspiring to be successful in this company is to use the company for all of the training you can and be best friends with your store manager. Because if you think that you can get by on working as hard as you can and being loyal to the company, this isnt the place for you.

Not for me. Company is looking for zombies to be "yes" men. Wants strong backs with weak minds.

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Charleston, WV
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Charleston, WV

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

They do offer lots of training and knowledge if you are new to the industry.

Cons

Long hours. Low pay. Corporate personnel are a joke and lazy at best. Overworked and underpaid.

Care about your workers and don't be so steadfast to throw them to the wolves over 1 mistake.

Orwellian experience of 84 Lumber

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good news if you smoke -- feel free to do that inside the warehouse you'll be working in. Meeting local contractors, learning the reputable ones and the scam artists. Good employee discounts if you just purchased a fixer-upper.

Cons

Blatant racism and sexism. Monolithic central office. Scheduled around a 48 hour work week. Store hours changed with less than a weeks notice. Arcane bonus system. Every store sells common items at different prices based on replacement costs at THAT location. If you want a promotion, prepare to move long-distance

Here's a HR tip: Don't tell someone that you, "Usually don't hire men to work in the office because we don't want to have to hire women in the stores." That's highly illegal. A HR professional, male or female should never verbalize a systematic plan to ignore the EEOA. But, you get what you pay for, and they don't pay much.

Feb 23, 2015Recruiting Manager

Hello and thank you for your feedback! Sounds like there has been a cross in communication regarding 84 Lumber hiring practices. 84 Lumber will select the best fit candidate for any of our positions ... More

Sales coordinator

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Chandler, AZ

I worked at 84 Lumber

Pros

Fast paced environment, great co-workers, I felt the pay was very good for me .. With commission and the hourly pay, I am a single mom of three children, And I lived very comfortable while working with 84, I feel I am still in mourning, for missing out on still being employed by this company. I miss the people I worked with, who end up being like a second family to you. I also had amazing benefits, medical vision and dental. I miss this job every day .

Cons

I dont really see this as a con, but you worked 46 hours a week, which really makes a paycheck nice. You work hard, and sometimes it can be kaotic. But in my experience, he harder we work, the more we all work as a team. Long hours but when the people you work with are like your family away from your family. it makes it kaotic, but not as stressful as can be.

I feel my management team was amazing. My store manager Chuck Frerichs is amazing. I say IS, even though im not currently there, because while i was employed there he was amazing and even when i talk to 84 now. he is still amazing. He will be the forst one there and the last one to leave, An out of every boss I have ever worked for, when he would give me extra work to do, thats when i was the hapiest. Because that meant he trusted you enough to do something that he would much rather do himself so there is no mistakes. By far the best manager I have had. Our area manager Dave also amazing. Even when the store new he would be in for a visit, there was never added stress or anyone having to act different because he is very easy to get along with and talk to, and you can learn alot from hearing his experiences. He remmbers alot. FOr someone who has multiple stores in multiple states, he will remember you. also an amazing boss.

Jan 28, 2015Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! Our management team are the drivers we depend on to make our associates feel they are at their best, provide them with the tools to succeed, and help the ... More

You're not going to make much.

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

Generally positive work environment. Easy to get along with co-workers. Very easy job but dies require some learning about the computer system etcetera. Easy to move up.

Cons

The pay is pretty low and the bonus levels are not very easily reached. Expect to make no more than around $34,000 a year unless you luck out. Easy to move up but you're pretty limited after you make manager.

Fewer hours during the winter and higher pay. No reason to pay near minimum wage and expect employees to work like they make six figures.