84 Lumber Reviews

Reset
3.9
84 Lumber President and Owner Maggie Hardy Magerko
Maggie Hardy Magerko

Pros
  • I had to learn a lot from experience and being "thrown to the wolves (in 5 reviews)

• Best training program in the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours- 50 hour work week, Low Salary, (in 14 reviews)

• Zero professionalism, mandatory 48 hour work week (which is a joke (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Opportunity

Current Employee - Manager in Madisonville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Madisonville, TN

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As with everyone who works for this company I started as a Manager Trainee, from there I decided to go into sales. With my background in management I later decided to go towards the management ladder. Within a year I was promoted to Co Manager and a year later I was promoted to Store Manager. This shows if you work hard it pays off. The bonus structure from the entry level to the manager is set up well.

Cons

My only con is the relocation, but I knew about it when I decided to take the job.

Advice to Management

Grind it out!

2. Contractor/National Sales Rep

Current Employee - Contractor/National Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Contractor/National Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to grow my business Freedom to pursue accounts

Cons

Limited IT support and antiquated IT equipment

Advice to Management

Provide better training in account acquisitions

3. Good place to start but not for to long!!!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Good people to work with, good place to start if you have no college.

Cons

84 ask people to write good reviews to make them look better. Low pay, you only get to a higher position if you suck up a lot. They promote unqualified people and the weekend hours are not good.

Advice to Management

Listen to people, have better winter hours, give stores realistic goals to achieve, promote good people even if they can't move. Learn to keep good employees and treat people with dignity and respect !!

5. Store operations

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work outdoors, performance based compensation, ability to manage responsibilities as you see fit

Cons

Long hours, early mornings, low base salary, you rely heavily on store meeting goals to make bonuses

6. Good Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart Company Flexible Value Good Employees Good Ability to be Promoted

Cons

Constant Phone Calls at Home Highly Value Relocation

Advice to Management

Allow Facial Hair Modernize

7. Great career opportunity

Former Employee - Area Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for a career with an outstanding company, even if you have no prior wxperience. Compensation is set up in a way that you are paid a regular hourly pay, plus incentives based on your performance (which only people with little or no drive would not appreciate). With 84, you are also promoted based on performance.

Cons

There are not many cons here, the only thing I can say is this: if you are looking for a "job", and want to get a paycheck every week while doing the least amount of work possible, this is not for you. With 84, you will work hard, and when you do, you will be rewarded for it.

Advice to Management

Don't settle for anything, in regard to people or standards. Consistently look for ways to make yourself, your store, and your company better.

8. Co-Manager

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Clarion, PA
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Clarion, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience, awesome advancement opportunity, they care what you think, and they care about their employees. Also very open book, they don't keep secrets from you.

Cons

Bad working conditions, mediocre pay if you are in a small store, long hours, little to no involvement from upper management (you are at the mercy of your manager).

Advice to Management

Update the stores we have our competition offers clean stores that have everything you need in stock (big-box it up a little). Update pay scale, and bring back perks (401k match etc...)

9. Mutton Dressed As Lamb

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training program was a very good experience. You get to go to 84 PA and get pumped up with corporate enthusiasm.

Cons

84's upper management orders employees to write positive glassdoor reviews. That's why the majority of the positive ones seem false. On big jobs where there are multiple loads going out management bills the house account customer more than what's shipped aka stealing. This is encouraged by the company as employees can get bonuses off of 'positive shrink' at inventory. Owner/ceo wants something for nothing as per usual these days. Stores are often understaffed so functional retardation is there. My manager was a 45 yr old coke head/alcoholic who was sadly mistaken he was still in a fraternity. So perhaps my review is unique. He was frequently late and dipped his hand in the register money so at the end of the day as I was closing the store I'd have to call him and hope he'd remember he took some money. No biggie if he forgot I'd just call our driver and he'd remember he was told to get some Timmy Hortons and that the money to do so was taken from the drawer. Company thinks it can make its own rules and bypass state labor laws. Bonus system sounds promising but when put into practice doesn't seem so generous as goals are set too high to be realistic. More to be mentioned but I don't want to write a novel.

Advice to Management

Dignity and respect? HA!

10. Sad Co.

Pros

I really can't think on any pros

Cons

bad pay and management stinks men must shave (really)

Advice to Management

HIRE OLD AND NOT YOUNG TO RUN YOUR STORES

11. 84 Lumber

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time

Pros

I worked with some really good people. I learned a lot

Cons

Management was very toxic. There was very little trust.

Advice to Management

Change your philosophy. Respect people. People want to do a good job.

RSS Feed </> Embed