84 Lumber Reviews

Reset
3.8
84 Lumber President and Owner Maggie Hardy Magerko
Maggie Hardy Magerko

Pros
  • I had to learn a lot from experience and being "thrown to the wolves (in 5 reviews)

• Best training program in the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours- 50 hour work week, Low Salary, (in 14 reviews)

• Zero professionalism, mandatory 48 hour work week (which is a joke (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Opportunity

Current Employee - Manager in Madisonville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Madisonville, TN

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As with everyone who works for this company I started as a Manager Trainee, from there I decided to go into sales. With my background in management I later decided to go towards the management ladder. Within a year I was promoted to Co Manager and a year later I was promoted to Store Manager. This shows if you work hard it pays off. The bonus structure from the entry level to the manager is set up well.

Cons

My only con is the relocation, but I knew about it when I decided to take the job.

Advice to Management

Grind it out!

Great family-like atmosphere with room to grow

Current Employee - Corporate in Eighty Four, PA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Eighty Four, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profitable and stable company that values hard workers and doesn't have time for those who are not. Heavy on promoting from within. Decent benefits. Opportunities to grow and advance. Team building activities to boost morale.

Cons

Ridiculously long hours. 45 hour work week for salaried corporate employees (1 hour lunches). Mediocre salary.

Advice to Management

Cut it down to 40 hours a week salaried employees with half hour lunches. 401K match would be a nice incentive too. Reduce gym membership fee for employees.

3. co-manager

I worked at 84 Lumber

Pros

Room for growth. Great learning experience

Cons

Low wage for amount of work. Poor team support

5. Hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at 84 Lumber

Pros

Can't think of any. OK OK they want more....It was a learning experience and I did learn more with all the exams about construction....so that's good

Cons

During inventory they make you work 40 hours STRAIGHT!! In an unheated store.
    That's all I'm saying. Oh did I mention minimum pay?

Advice to Management

Take advice from Lowes and Home Depot

6. Stepping Stone to a Better Job Elsewhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eighty Four, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eighty Four, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere is relaxed, you would have to work hard to get fired here. Most of the people at corporate office are very friendly.

The available healthcare plan is good.

This is a good place to get some experience while you look for a better job.

As long as we don't see another housing bubble, your job will be very secure.

Cons

It takes 3 years to see your 2 weeks of vacation actually become available. Expect zero days your first year and very few your second year.

Pay is very low for a corporate office; most positions are just above minimum wage.

You'll make more working at a gas station, but with luck you'll be able to do nothing all day because this is the kind of place where one person in each department tends to get stuck with all the work while everyone else slouches off.

You'll also get to work 45 hour weeks (for no extra pay) while being forced to take an hour lunch, so expect to be here at least 50 hours a week.

If you become the person stuck doing all the work for your department, don't expect to be rewarded. You'll get raises based on when you were hired even if the person next to you hasn't done anything useful since you got there.

Don't expect to have a career here that entails making much more money than you start at. Even if you're put in a management position in your department, you'll still make barely more than the new hires that will be under you.

Advice to Management

It's embarrassing that we can pay people in a corporate office $8 an hour, that needs to change. 45 hour work weeks might sound like you're getting more from your workers on paper, but in reality it makes them less motivated to work hard while they're here. Don't make people wait more than 3 years to have vacation time. Stop being so greedy.

7. Great Buisness

Current Employee - Manager in Plainville, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Plainville, CT

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

84 Lumber is as open book as it comes, they allow each store operate off it's own P&L and then reward the store team for exceeding goals.

Cons

The company does expect it's employees to long hours in tough conditions.

8. MT/CSRT

Former Employee - Manager Trainee
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people usually a little rough around the edges, if your into that. Younger managers helping to make it not so harsh of an environment. Fun times and good work.

Cons

old school mentality. My way or the highway from the older managers. Area managers are unreasonable. But it all comes from up top. The ridiculous goals for AM's and stores puts so much stress on employees.

Advice to Management

Lighten up, let people have beards and tattoos, we deal with contractors, who in the summer time we are lucky if they are even wearing a shirt. Stop killing your AM's who then kill stores and thats why you have so much turnover

9. There is confusion over financial comp.

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Manassas, VA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays surprisingly well. I was told $12 per hour with up to 1000 in bonuses per month. Wasn't told that I could take all of the overtime I wanted and that the bonus was actually consistently attainable. All in all the MT's at the store are pulling about 42000 per year. You learn more than you expect and within a couple of months start to see the wealth of opportunities in the company and out of it.

Cons

Long hours. I regularly pass the 60hr per week mark. Low scheduling flexibility. Best if you don't have any family waiting at home for you.

Advice to Management

It seems all facilities are understaffed. Every position is overworked and there is seemingly no rush to hire more staff. They're happy to pile on bonus money but seem reluctant to hire enough people.

Not Competitive

Former Employee - Corporate in Eighty Four, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Eighty Four, PA

I worked at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training and experience. Great for an entrepreneurial type of person

Cons

No 401K match, benefits are mediocre and expensive, vacation time isn't on par with today's standards, long work day, no option to work from home, computer system outdated, employee morale very low, upper management gets stuck on the small issues rather than looking at the big picture

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and update your culture. Stop ignoring your turnover rate and face the fact that you're losing your top talent to more competitive companies that offer more to employees.

11. corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous in Eighty Four, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Eighty Four, PA

I worked at 84 Lumber

Pros

small close tight knit group

Cons

pay was lower than I would have liked

RSS Feed </> Embed