84 Lumber Reviews

132 reviews filtered by
3.5
84 Lumber President and Owner Maggie Hardy Magerko
Maggie Hardy Magerko

Pros
  • I had to learn a lot from experience and being "thrown to the wolves (in 5 reviews)

• Best training program in the business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also the amount of pay does not justify the amount of work and long hours you put in on a weekly basis (in 14 reviews)

• Zero professionalism, mandatory 48 hour work week (which is a joke (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Niagara Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Niagara Falls, NY

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

84 Lumber is a great company to work for. It is a family owned company and you can tell by the quality of people it employees. They offer very competitive pay, excellent incentives and benefits. The company offers you the ability to start from the entry level position and work your way to a management position or sales or a career at team headquarters.

Cons

You have to earn your paycheck nothing is handed to you.Ability to relocate is also a must.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. Outside Sales

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lexington, SC

I have been working at 84 Lumber (More than a year)

Pros

Support you recieve, on going training with suppliers, unlimited income potential (you get out what you put in). Good benefits package. Good support staff for sales people.

Cons

Hours can be long. If you are out for just a paycheck don't come here. If you are willing to work it can be very rewarding

Advice to Management

Keep going, heading in right direction.

3. Recruiting Intern

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are extremely kind and are willing to work with you in every aspect. It was a real joy working for them. would definitely work at this company again!

Cons

There wasn't any cons to this job that i have been through.

5. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Suffolk, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Suffolk, VA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been an employee of 84 Lumber for over 11 years. Everyday is another adventure. If someone is willing to work hard, learn everyday, and sweat a little bit, the skies the limit. The compensation packages for the employees are the best in the business. I wouldn't trade this opportunity for the world. We are always looking for top talent.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard everyday. (Not really a con).

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing.

6. Office Manager, supervise group of individual responsible for administrative functions of the department.

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

84 Lumber has a positive work environment. 84 provides on the job training and promotes from within the company. Associates are given autonomy to perform job functions and support as necessary.

Cons

84 Lumber requires employees to work extended hours throughout the year. Associates are expected to work a minimum 48 hour work week.

Advice to Management

I would recommend an increased emphasis on analyzing new sales initiatives and providing associates with necessary support staff and equipment to aid sales initiatives undertaken.

7. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lords Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lords Valley, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great fast-paced environment to work in.
    -Industry leading training program. Besides on the job training, 84 provides their entry level Manager trainees with a self-study program as well as classes so they can learn what they need to know in order to be successful personally and for the company.
    -You get out of it what you put in to it. As pay is partially incentive based, the harder you work, the more $ you can make!
    -Small, tight-nit crew. At my store, we have a total of only 8 employees. Working with a small crew, your co-workers become your second family. Everyone works together to make the store succeed.
    -84 Lumber provides awesome benefits...health, dental, vision, disability, 401k, and profit sharing.
    -Working through 84, I have learned so much about building, the industry, and how to run a business.
    -It took me only 3 years to work my way up from Manager Trainee, to Co-Manager, to Store Manager.

Cons

Our bear bones way of running our store really only sucks when it is 0 degrees outside. The cold can be harsh. But we can't control the weather. Besides that, no complaints.

8. 84 Lumber has provided me the opportunity to grow as a person and a skill set valuable in the building industry

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working closely with customers and employees, variety of employment positions, managing a store is like running your own business

Cons

Occasional long hours, heavy work load but in the end it will pay off

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

9. Good Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent training program. Promotions are from within. Promotions are based on performance. Team atmosphere. Long term career opportunity. Excellent income for high performing salespeople and managers.

Cons

A lot of physical work. Expect a 48 hour work week. Starting pay is low. Relocation may be necessary for some promotions.

Advice to Management

Continue to put money back into the stores for computers, repairs, and enhancements. The culture of 84 Lumber separates us from all the other companies.

over 20 years of work with a new adventure daily

Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, KY

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to feel like an owner, great team atmosphere at all levels. Compensation and benefit packages are awesome. My company knows who I am.

Cons

It's cold at work in the winter, It's hot at work in the summer. It is a fast paced something different everyday get after lifestyle. Success only comes to those that work hard.

Contrator Sales Rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom, backed by a multi million dollar company! This is not necessarily a pro or con. With 84 Lumber we are hard on each other, we work hard but when we play we play hard! Our clientele are not exactly polished and refined. Be aggressive and confident! 84 Lumber teaches you to pull yourself up to succeed!

Cons

It's very challenging when you are a new salesman in an area with established seasoned salesmen that have many of the professional builders already taken.

Advice to Management

Store managers need to spend more time with new salesman and mentor them especially when they are new to the business. Help them thicken their skin!