90octane

www.90octane.com

90octane Reviews

2.8

Sam Eidson & Jim Grinney

I'm a happy 90octane employee, excited to work at a growing Denver marketing agency.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at 90octane

Pros

We have a wide range of clients in all kinds of industries, which makes for an interesting mix of work. Plus, we use a variety of digital marketing tactics. I appreciate the opportunity to develop my expertise in email, PPC and SEO, online media and many other areas. The benefits are awesome and help make up for the hard work. On top of health/dental/vision/life/401K, we have a compressed work week option and 4+ weeks of PTO and paid holidays. There are fun quarterly activities planned for the staff. There’s a greater emphasis on professional development now than ever before, which is nice. For a medium-sized agency, we have a good amount of long-term employees. It’s also great that we have so many recent graduates working here. It keeps the culture vibrant. I really respect my co-workers and the agency administrators and hope to see 90octane take over the world!

Cons

The work has ebbs and flows. Sometimes work picks up so much that the pace seems hard to sustain. Finding new ways to support each other during these times would be a good idea. The agency has grown considerably, but it would be great to see it even bigger to allow for more professional advancement opportunities.

Keep up strong hiring practices and processes. Reward hard workers. Gather input from the team. Reach for big new clients. Liven up the office decor.

Culture Struggles & High Turnover

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at 90octane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I first got hired, there was a lot to love at 90octane: compressed work week, thirsty Thursdays, quarterly social activities for the entire staff, and more. By the time I left, things had shifted a bit. However, the tactical training for Account Coordinator staff is truly excellent; in fact, many of the Account Coordinators would be hired by other companies because the industry in Denver knows how well 90octane trains their staff. Opportunity to be relatively autonomous was presented, and if you are a high performer, upper management will work with you to find a job/title/department that fits your interests.

The owners believed in profit sharing, and bonuses were distributed on a quarterly basis dependent on profit.

The people make 90octane, hands down. I have indicated that I would recommend this employer because of the valuable training received in the Account Management department and because of the connections possible with the awesome people on staff.

Cons

The company wasn't prepared for the level of growth they experienced. By my departure, the owners had stopped showing up at all-company social events, thirsty Thursdays were basically nonexistent in terms of attendance, and the focus had shifted from culture to billable hours. There were mixed messages from upper management about what the future of the company culture was, and the understanding around time off started to disappear. Where before they had encouraged work/life balance, they started to make it known that salaried employees are expected to work overtime (particularly if you wanted to spend time on professional development).

Base compensation was low.

Go back to the values and remember the culture. This staff is incredible and the product very valuable, and the staff will work harder for you and stay longer if they feel valued.

If you are right out of college, this is the place for you.

I worked at 90octane

Pros

Intelligent staff; Great if you are right out of college to gain agency experience.

Cons

Questionable ethics; Politics plays more in to advancement than talent; Aforementioned intelligent staff are worked like dogs for little benefit.

Should really take a look at who is doing the work rather than who is presenting the work.

Great place to work if your straight out of college.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at 90octane

Pros

Very liberal with time off. Good place for a stepping stone, but no long term prospects.

Cons

Very low pay and they seem to prey on students straight out of college. No experience in the real world and will take very low compensation to have their first job. Promotions and advancements are based on time with company and have little to do with your actual performance.

As another user stated. Focus on accomplishments and work abilities and less on length of time in the company.

Fun Culture...poor politics

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Denver, CO

I have been working at 90octane

Pros

company culture is amazing, we are all younger individuals who really agree with the work hard - play hard atmosphere. We have a game room with ping pong and kegs...can you beat that? The office location is great - just off the 16th street mall. You can also opt-in to a condensed work week, leaving you every other Friday off.

Cons

internal advancement is more based on time served than on skills. this can be annoying because it allows people who aren't management material to get promoted. It gets old sitting behind a desk all day doing internet marketing. clients are more b2b, so it's not all glamorous. You don't get acknowledged for working your tail off - which makes it hard to stay motivated.

stop focusing on the downside of things. acknowledge workers for jobs well done.

90octane Photos