99 Cents Only

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.5

St├ęphane Gonthier

Pros
  • Competitive pay, good benefits, alot of tenured employees (in 3 reviews)

• The team in the offices, the warehouse and the stores are all very dedicated and hard working (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay, Huge Amounts of work, expect managers to work 52 hours a week with really (in 9 reviews)

• Dishonest upper management that abuses employees, especially Hispanics (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I enjoyed working here for the most part

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working here is great in certain aspects. Most employees get decent hours, less than 40, but they are not as strict as other companies and are more lenient with giving extra hours. Those who work hard also get promoted frequently.

Cons

Working here can be challenging as far as management. Some stores do not have a solid management team which is challenging for the rest of the employees.

Not progressive

Current Employee - Order Selector in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time (more than a year)

Pros

40+ hours per week. Lots of overtime.

Cons

Management
    Not progressive
    Low moral
    Promotions hard to come by

Be open-minded and listen to employee suggestions.

Ratings

Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

More locations needed throughout the country

Keep working hard

It was OK

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only

Pros

Stable employer. Offered stock options.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement. Operates like a small business.

volatile, much unrest with store leadership team about compensation. Senior Management level do not develop and train.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only

Pros

Stong earnings, company is cash based as far as fixturing, store equipment , and real estate. This company is opening up additional locations. Company has a lot of potential to be a contender in the already saturated market place. Company is attempting to modernize company practices and policies

Cons

Unstable Human Resource Management, deals poorly with associate issues (especially with compensation ) Also many district managers lack the skills necessary to teach and train future DM's and leaders. Communication break downs are frequent. Store support center (corporate) lacks respect for field team. Senior leadership focuses on negative feedback more often than positive reinforcement. Senior Leadership are disconnected from the realities of running a store (in the current day and age versus five to seven years ago when the company had little to no structure. Lots of do as I say and not as I do mentality that lowers store leadership morale.

Take a closer look at your Store Manager "training meetings" that are intended to be constructive, you may come to find out these meetings have become a 10 hour barrage of negative comments, poor feedback, and threatening innuendos. Take time to tell your store managers when they are meeting metrics, hitting sales , and producing results. Remove the favoritism that plagues this company , . , this will all trickle down to the store and impact the morale of the associates that care about the future and growth of this organization.and teach future 99 leaders to

I was treated like crap along with all the other stockers and cashiers.

Former Employee - Worst Job I Ever Had in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Worst Job I Ever Had in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only

Pros

Job was easy to get compared to other jobs, even other min. wage jobs
    The work is physically hard but no there is almost no thinking involved
    You get to set aside bargains that come in, for yourself, before they're sold out

Cons

The management and other employees treat you like crap. Management is based on favoritism. Whoever buys the manager food or brings her food gets better hours and better treatment.
    The employees are mostly nice but the manager's pets get away with treating you like crap. (See the pattern here?)

The supervisors are pushed and taught to treat the employees badly. They are always pushing you to work harder and faster for your $8.-8.40 /hour.
    If you ask for a day off you are punished for it, they'll take a day or two away from you the next week or change your schedule. Even if you have a set day off, like for another job, the manager will suddenly tell you that you have to work on that day "or else".

You cannot complain about or question anything. It's like being in prison. Any complaint or questions leads to retaliation by being treated worse or having hours taken away from you.
    Complaints to HR go unheeded. And then you are retaliated against by the manager. (This did NOT happen to me but it happened to others I worked with. I was smart enough to remain anonymous in my complaint. Their treating me bad had only to do with the fact that I am not friends with the Manager or supervisor outside of work.)

4-5 people have recently left my store due to the terrible conditions. Not all managers are as bad as the one I have. But from what I hear, many are. I once had a good manager but they moved her out to another store. Anyone good at this store, they moved out. Not sure why. It seems like they WANTED to create a bad work environment here.

Does this sound like a horrible place to work? It is. Like I said, this is THE worst place I ever worked.

Oh, and they hire people who don't speak English and some are not citizens though they claim they will not hire illegals. If you know someone there, they will hire you as an illegal anyway.

They claim they won't hire relatives but the manager and supervisors brought in their family members, no problem.

Try treating your employers with some respect for a change, instead of like slaves on a penal farm.

We once had a good supervisor and she treated people nicely and the same amount of work got done just as fast. The only difference was that we were happy then. I guess they just don't want people to be happy at the 99 cent store. They prefer to make you feel like crap and keep you in fear of losing your job over any tiny thing you might inadvertently do "wrong". I never have done one thing wrong, yet they treat me like a black slave back in the 1800's.

99 Cents Only Photos