99 Cents Only

99 Cents Only Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Stéphane Gonthier

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ratings

Director of Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent company to work for

ConsMore locations needed throughout the country

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard

It was OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at 99 Cents Only

ProsStable employer. Offered stock options.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement. Operates like a small business.

volatile, much unrest with store leadership team about compensation. Senior Management level do not develop and train.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at 99 Cents Only

ProsStong earnings, company is cash based as far as fixturing, store equipment , and real estate. This company is opening up additional locations. Company has a lot of potential to be a contender in the already saturated market place. Company is attempting to modernize company practices and policies

ConsUnstable Human Resource Management, deals poorly with associate issues (especially with compensation ) Also many district managers lack the skills necessary to teach and train future DM's and leaders. Communication break downs are frequent. Store support center (corporate) lacks respect for field team. Senior leadership focuses on negative feedback more often than positive reinforcement. Senior Leadership are disconnected from the realities of running a store (in the current day and age versus five to seven years ago when the company had little to no structure. Lots of do as I say and not as I do mentality that lowers store leadership morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at your Store Manager "training meetings" that are intended to be constructive, you may come to find out these meetings have become a 10 hour barrage of negative comments, poor feedback, and threatening innuendos. Take time to tell your store managers when they are meeting metrics, hitting sales , and producing results. Remove the favoritism that plagues this company , . , this will all trickle down to the store and impact the morale of the associates that care about the future and growth of this organization.and teach future 99 leaders to

I was treated like crap along with all the other stockers and cashiers.

Worst Job I Ever Had (Former Employee)

I worked at 99 Cents Only

ProsJob was easy to get compared to other jobs, even other min. wage jobs
The work is physically hard but no there is almost no thinking involved
You get to set aside bargains that come in, for yourself, before they're sold out

ConsThe management and other employees treat you like crap. Management is based on favoritism. Whoever buys the manager food or brings her food gets better hours and better treatment.
The employees are mostly nice but the manager's pets get away with treating you like crap. (See the pattern here?)

The supervisors are pushed and taught to treat the employees badly. They are always pushing you to work harder and faster for your $8.-8.40 /hour.
If you ask for a day off you are punished for it, they'll take a day or two away from you the next week or change your schedule. Even if you have a set day off, like for another job, the manager will suddenly tell you that you have to work on that day "or else".

You cannot complain about or question anything. It's like being in prison. Any complaint or questions leads to retaliation by being treated worse or having hours taken away from you.
Complaints to HR go unheeded. And then you are retaliated against by the manager. (This did NOT happen to me but it happened to others I worked with. I was smart enough to remain anonymous in my complaint. Their treating me bad had only to do with the fact that I am not friends with the Manager or supervisor outside of work.)

4-5 people have recently left my store due to the terrible conditions. Not all managers are as bad as the one I have. But from what I hear, many are. I once had a good manager but they moved her out to another store. Anyone good at this store, they moved out. Not sure why. It seems like they WANTED to create a bad work environment here.

Does this sound like a horrible place to work? It is. Like I said, this is THE worst place I ever worked.

Oh, and they hire people who don't speak English and some are not citizens though they claim they will not hire illegals. If you know someone there, they will hire you as an illegal anyway.

They claim they won't hire relatives but the manager and supervisors brought in their family members, no problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry treating your employers with some respect for a change, instead of like slaves on a penal farm.

We once had a good supervisor and she treated people nicely and the same amount of work got done just as fast. The only difference was that we were happy then. I guess they just don't want people to be happy at the 99 cent store. They prefer to make you feel like crap and keep you in fear of losing your job over any tiny thing you might inadvertently do "wrong". I never have done one thing wrong, yet they treat me like a black slave back in the 1800's.

Worked for 99 Cents Only? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 99 Cents Only reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 99 Cents Only CEO St├ęphane Gonthier. All reviews posted anonymously by 99 Cents Only employees.