99 Cents Only Reviews

Updated August 6, 2014
Updated August 6, 2014

2.4

St├ęphane Gonthier

Pros
  • Competitive pay, good benefits, alot of tenured employees (in 3 reviews)

• Busy, learn new things every day, make a difference with someone, whether co-worker or customer (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay, Huge Amounts of work, expect managers to work 52 hours a week with really (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Store manager

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well being working for 99 cents for 5 month and I love it !!!!!!! I love the everything about the company

Cons

Well I think we need more hrs for our store ...

Management I feel that 99 cent store I'II look better if they take all that case stack of the floor

just a job

Former Employee - Stocker  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Stocker in Tucson, AZ

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time for less than a year

Pros

It somewhat pays the bills. I was granted permission to fix carts by cannibalizing some of the broken ones. It gave me something at least halfway interesting to do.

Cons

I was a good worker, but couldn't get 40 hours. The job is boring. Management tries to make it more than it is.

Fast paced environment with merchandising freedom.

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time for less than a year

Pros

Non-stop action! You will physically work into exhaustion. Great for Assistant Manager mantality, while supporting the Store Manager. With the economy the way it is....99 Cents Only Stores will flourish.

Cons

The culture needs improving, and compliance is non-existent. While on the right track with a cycle count style of inventory management, the program will only work if a minimum/maximum presentation exists.

Utilize associate feedback to empower success.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I sincerely hope CEO will not just discount this.

Current Employee - Management Team Member  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Management Team Member in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Busy, learn new things every day, make a difference with someone, whether co-worker or customer.

Cons

Lack of communication, dm's and hr hard to reach, favoritism, Lack of morals and integrity in upper management (SM'S & UP)

Take a good look at who you have in place. Reverse evaluations could be very helpful. To much hiring for management from the outside, when you have perfectly qualified individuals all ready in stores, And most are doing the job without the pay and recognition. ... usually due to favoritism and/or lack of follow through. Great changes lately, looking forward to a long career here.

The managers are very unprofessional, the store has really gone down in the last 6 months, it looks like the swap meet !

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at 99 Cents Only part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

their are no need to give your self that type of stress!!!

Cons

the employees curse other employees out, throw stuff, and management does nothing they let workplace bulling go on in their stores and that's not right!!

please come to Houston and fix these stores

Disappointing Tenure

Former Employee - Manager  in  Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Commerce, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has some aggressive growth plans, which makes the potential exciting to consider. The team in the offices, the warehouse and the stores are all very dedicated and hard working. They are the heart of this company.

Cons

This is not a great place to work if you are looking for work/life balance. Most everyone is expected to put in very long days, 6 days a week not uncommon. Meetings tend to be scheduled quite frequently to start after 7 p.m.

The corporate office is next to the warehouse in an older part of town - security guards in the parking lot, sketchy neighborhood surrounds the area - walking out to your car after working late, with police helicopters overhead searching the area for a felon, or the adjacent street cordoned off by LAPD due to a shooting, is not a comforting feeling. There are plans to move the offices next year sometime.

The change in sr. leadership has led to confusion in actual direction to be taken. The new CEO is smart and knowledgeable, but is a micro-manager, so moving forward on a timely basis just isn't possible.

Out Sourced

Former Employee - IT Department
    Former Employee - IT Department

I worked at 99 Cents Only as an intern for more than 8 years

Pros

Leaving this out for reasons. Leaving this out for reasons. Leaving this out for reasons. Leaving this out for reasons.

Cons

Low pay, out sourced IT out of the country. Laid off over 150 or more since late last year in favor of employees not in this country.

Return to a family run company. Get the original owners to run shop again.
    Return to a family run company. Get the original owners to run shop again.

okay

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker  in  Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They work with your schedule, so if your in school then this is a great part time job.
    opportunities of growth in the company

Cons

they hardly ever go by your scheduled time to leave. (overtime is a must)

99 cent store core values consists of "working managers". Please enforce this, so the store managers don't sit on their butts all day and order people around.

It was very interesting working at the store

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Pinole, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Pinole, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid weekly also always doing something never get bored.

Cons

Leadership wasnt really there sometimes.

nothing

Worst job EVER!!!

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The ONLY good thing I can say... If you are a responsible person and have an IQ above a pet rock, they will give you hours. Ooops... one more thing... you get first pick at the deals. I.E. - bacon or lunch meat.

Cons

I don’t even know where to begin with this one. I guess I will start with PAY. Everyone starts at $8.05 an hour and then you are eligible for a $.50 raise after 99 days. FYI they don’t give their reviews on time. The longer they push it off, the better it is on their budget. This includes the “annual” raise which is a joke. The most I’ve ever seen someone get is $.25 an hour. Most people get nothing to (if you are lucky) $.15 an hour! This company hires anyone and they take full advantage of them. Not a nice company to work for. If you do advance in the company, they usually give a dollar raise per position. They treat their employees horrible.

Drug test your employees and managers. The company hires parolees and drug court people. They pass the initial drug test and then usually resume their "normal" activity after they are off probation or parole. Haven't you ever noticed your employees suddenly losing weight under the guise of diet or sickness??? Get with it!!! Ray Charles can see it from outer space. If make the whole company look bad!!

Worked for 99 Cents Only? Contribute to the Community!