99 Cents Only Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
101 reviews filtered by
2.6
Stéphane Gonthier

Pros
  • Competitive pay, good benefits, alot of tenured employees (in 3 reviews)

• The team in the offices, the warehouse and the stores are all very dedicated and hard working (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay, Huge Amounts of work, expect managers to work 52 hours a week with really (in 9 reviews)

• Dishonest upper management that abuses employees, especially Hispanics (in 4 reviews)

1. Assistant Manager

I have been working at 99 Cents Only

Pros

overtime pay, engaging and challenging

Cons

too many people with too many ideas For a dollar store, they waste a lot of labor. Do not pay their employees well. Instead of promoting with in they hire clueless managers from outside paying them top dollar. but the people who are moving the company forward are the people who had been working for years.

Advice to Management

Do not get greedy, focus on your core value. you are wasting way too much money on spoilage and labor. Save the money and give your employees raises. Promote with in, you have many talented employees who do not require much training. Stop hiring this clueless Manager from outside.

2. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Saugus, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saugus, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive, casual business environment and motivation to strive new training programs essential with consistency.

Cons

Stable leadership and dedication in jobs to making a career.

Advice to Management

Approach and take action in training others.

3. Do not work here

Former Employee - Key Holder in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time

Pros

Work is harder than you might think

Cons

Underpaid and hard to advance

Advice to Management

Full time.

Great place for students (<20 hours) and/or people looking to work a LOT (60+hours). Not much in between.

Former Employee - Deli in El Cajon, CA
    Former Employee - Deli in El Cajon, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great part-timer gig for students or those not looking for a lot of work. There's always something to do. There are also opportunities for raises at the same position; expect a small raise if you're one of the best at your store. If you care enough to be looking at this website about your job, you should be in that higher tier.
    It's also a great place to grow, but growth is at the expense of the cons. That said, they do promote fairly regularly due to turnover.

Cons

99 Cent Only doesn't really embrace raises with position changes. If you move up, raises are given in the form of overtime at roughly (within a dollar of) the same pay as before; you really need to have solid laid-out reasons for a raise if you're moving up in position. Expect to work 50+ hours to make a decent wage even as a manager.

Advice to Management

There are two options that I see, really. You can do more to keep your managers in place (hire a more diverse staff, offer benefits for the 60+ hour workweeks in exchange for not giving the raises). There's also the idea of expanding management to allow managers to get more than one day off and work less than 60 hours.

For employees looking up, it's really a choice between work-you-till-you're-dead management type of position vs regular employee "I have no hours, what gives". This creates a massive disconnect between employees and management, which is where every problem I witnessed stemmed from.

Other than the occasional prank hotline call to collude against coworkers, the company is in pretty good shape. Take action to address managers' complaints and you'll be fine!

6. Greatest learning experience ever

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at 99 Cents Only

Pros

The ability to really learn how and what retail is all about.

Cons

Short staffed, not very competitive with pay

Advice to Management

Be self motivated

7. Hands on store management.

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, health care.

Cons

High stress, company very disorderly. No constancy in company directions. Products ship to store regardless of sales creating back log of product in store rooms. No support from upper management. Upper management against outside hired store managers perfecting to promote within causing a poor support structure.

Advice to Management

Be ready to sweat and cry a lot. Career opportunities are there but are mainly for long term managers who started as stockers. Outside manager that are hired are not viewed the same regardless of what they bring to the company or how well they manage.

8. Decent atmosphere; company's still growing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's your typical 9-5 office job if you work in a home office, with a good mix or fast-paced and slow seasons. Leadership/management was a mess when I first started (3-4 years ago), but everything started coming together after the company got bought. Everyone now has specific, defined roles and are expected to perform them. Great atmosphere all around if you have the right people on your team.

Cons

The company doesn't do a lot to stand out in terms of how they treat their employees. No bonuses, raises are few, and last-minute changes to whatever you're working on are often.

Advice to Management

Wish hours were more flexible, but that's really with any corporation. Oh, and a (free) coffee machine would be nice.

Key Holder

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours depending on the profits your store makes. The love to promote from within. Those who work hard enough and prove themselves get promoted very fast

Cons

They will work you to the bone. I once worked 20 days straight, 12 hours shifts. The company no longer has head cashier titles so the jump from a regular associate is key holder. Key holders are technically "supervisors" EXCEPT you are expected to run the entire store by yourself with no other members of management with you. They try to train but you pretty much have to figure everything out on your own. There is no work/home life balance if youre a part of management. Theyre the type of company that doesnt inform you of your mistakes. They just take your hours away instead and make you figure out what youre doing wrong. Sadly in newer stores with unexperienced higher management the work load is unfairly distributed. I have only been promoted two months and i know more about the store than my assistant manager so she makes me do most of her work plus my own. The bad thing about new hires is that it will take weeks for you to get paid. Its happened to everyone ive worked with. Youre supposed to be paid weekly but when you first start you probably wont get a pay check for at least a month. Associates are insanely overworked. Especially in new stores. They expect tons amount of work done in very little time with very few associates. And they hand out write ups like they were candy. Sometimes favoritism is within management so if they dont like you they are even more willing to hand out write ups for the littlest things. Also a huge con is that older stores have older systems and so their warehouses are filthy!!

Advice to Management

Work with district managers about hiring more employees to help overworked associates. Show appreciation to your associates. Saying thank you and acknowledging their hard work goes a long way. Take initiative to better your stores and make executive decisions to help your associates out. Communicate with your associates about their jobs and inform them of their mistakes so they can fix them. Store managers, stop forcing your key holders to run your entire store for you. Just because we are management does not mean we have to do your job for you.

10. Very Flexible

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work schedule. manager very friendly and a lot of great items at low prices.

Cons

Stocking can me very heavy and there is a lot of pressure to get the merchandise out even when there is no room to put it at. The pay is not very good, one of the reasons I left. When the minimum went up to nine dollars an hour I lost what I had worked for when the minimum was eight dollars, my pay was almost at nine. So, I had the same wage a new person had when I knew how to do way more, from reading the flow charts, doing the seasonal aisle, cycle counts, repacking, inventory, and break pallet seals.

11. Company offers a lot of opportunity for growth to their employees.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities. Flexible scheduling available. Yearly salary reviews.

Cons

Corporate headquarters is located in a sketchy area of Commerce. Lots of semi-trucks to weave through just to get into the parking lot. Being "Cat-Called" was a "norm" while walking into the building.

Advice to Management

Move locations.

99 Cents Only Photos