99 Cents Only Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Stéphane Gonthier

Pros
  • Good, hard working crews in the stores (in 3 reviews)

• Busy, learn new things every day, make a difference with someone, whether co-worker or customer (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, doing work of 3 people (in 9 reviews)

• Verry unorganized upper management (in 4 reviews)

1. My thoughts

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time

Pros

We all work hard, it pays off

Cons

The only thing constant is change

2. Decent job for a high schooler

Former Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with people my age. Management was not too strict. I got paid weekly. It is a good job for a student.

Cons

Management was unorganized at times. The manager had favorites. She made the new people do returns all the time. I didn't get too many hours sometimes.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to get more organized and do not have favorites.

3. It was great working here specially it being my first job.

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time

Pros

They management is great and understanding. Many work with your schedule. It's a fun environment to work in .

Cons

You have to be able to work with an urgency and work extra hard to please the store demands

Advice to Management

Could really help if you trained new employees before sending them off to work without any boundaries

5. Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Santa Paula, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Santa Paula, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great store..and the merchandise is good. some items you pay 5x's more at Dept Store, and at the 99 store, you pay anywhere from 99 cent to $1.99....shoppers get excited. Its always busy, so u never have a reason to b bored. Its a place to shop for the entire family.

Cons

I found that they never had enough registers opened. And like that store is constant, they never scheduled enough checkers, and that is the Customers #1 complaint...and some customers csn b rude about it. Call the Manager, let him explain to the pist off customer.

Advice to Management

my only advice is to have more Cashiers on registers, it would keep our Shoppers happy, it would make a happier enviroment. Also emphasize that after every Cashiers shift is over, before she is ready to leave her work station, that she leave it clean, throw trash away and make sure a pen and plastic bd
    bags are stocked, counter top clean. Ready for the next shift.

6. keyholder

Former Employee - Head Customer Service Representative/Lost Prevention/Key Holder/Stocker/Cashier in San Pablo, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only (More than a year)

Pros

i like working with ppl

Cons

that the store dont have the products

7. cashier

I worked at 99 Cents Only

Pros

the co workers are great

Cons

hours are limited especially for cashiers

8. Was good at first, until after a year.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at 99 Cents Only part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-coworkers are nice
    -would get called in for extra hours

Cons

-managers don't do anything most of the time
    -never enough cashiers, only 3 max (during night shift)
    -when doing gobacks, constantly called to open register and work could never get done
    -no protective sheet for restrooms

It's ok

Current Employee - Third Key in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Third Key in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid every week (Thursdays),getting to see the new products that just arrived before the customers.

Cons

Not getting a raise. Always changing managers..you get use to a new manager and 2 months later they let that manager go and bring in someone else who has no clue what's going on. Who wants to change everything right this instant, and puts all the load on the 3rd keys. . Doesn't schedule people right, always short handed and wonders why the store looks the way it does.

Advice to Management

Higher people who know what they are doing and who understand direction. Who can work fast and get the job done right the first time.

Give the employees a raise they work hard. You give them min wage and well that's the out come off work you will get.Crappie pay equals crappie work.

10. In 20 years of fixing broken stores, this has been the WORST

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ONLY pros would be: I'm employed, and getting paid weekly.

Cons

Constant different direction from MANY different people, unrealistic expectations for the hours given (200 hour decreases when compared to same week sales in the previous year), back rooms out of control, no actual assistance from the DM, a regional director on a power trip who apparently has NEVER even run a store (ANY STORE, ANY COMPANY) before... It's easy to say just get it done when you really have no clue how.

Advice to Management

LISTEN. You people clearly have screwed things up... Listen to what others (store managers in the trenches everyday) are telling you.

11. The reviews don't lie!!! Work here at your own risk!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at 99 Cents Only part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very local, pretty decent female staff which is rare, lots of new cool items, and the dress code is laid back to the max. Lots of hours(where I am)

Cons

I've noticed that the guys(store manager included) love to huddle around as females would to giggle and gossip about other people and other things. The fact that they have no problem verbally telling you your pay rate with other employees present shows the level of professionalism in this place(although we all get paid peanuts) I was extremely taken back by this. The orientation is a joke most of the important paperwork(I.e W4's) I HAD TO remind them to provide that to me, not to mention the level of flying insects in that place! There are cool employees that really take the job to heart and are awesome people to be around and learn from.However, the upper mgmt act and treat their employees as if we're beneath them once you're hired in(nothing like the interview) I read the reviews and took a chance anyway and I'm here to say if you can find better GO! This is only my first weeks experience.

Advice to Management

PIPE DOWN! This is a 99cent store power tripping isn't necessary! While dealing with certain employees as need be please respect the ones who respect you. As a store manager gossiping and laughing with your MALE employees like school girls doesn't set the best example for people such as myself who would actually like to move up in the company or at least gain experience in management. CLEAN your breakrooms their disgusting and we're all adults. Stop assuming that since there's such a high turnover and big amount of bee's that every new body you hire is the same, there are people who genuinely want to be there and come for more than a check.

RSS Feed </> Embed