99 Cents Only

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.6

St├ęphane Gonthier

Pros
  • Competitive pay, good benefits, alot of tenured employees (in 3 reviews)

• The team in the offices, the warehouse and the stores are all very dedicated and hard working (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay, Huge Amounts of work, expect managers to work 52 hours a week with really (in 9 reviews)

• Dishonest upper management that abuses employees, especially Hispanics (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, 99 Cents Only Stores was a good place to work.

I worked at 99 Cents Only

Pros

Great people with a rich company and corporate culture. The company was founded by an entrepreneur who had his heart into helping people and providing great products for under a buck! His spirit lived through many of the employees who he had helped through the years, and they remained loyal. Many working for the company for over 20 years, some as a cashier/stocker.

Cons

After the company was bought out, changes were pushed, some for the better, but most were treating people very badly. Overall, the new ownership viewed the employees who had been around as a threat of blocking change. Big lay offs happened, hundreds of long term employees terminated, laid off, or quit after the year of badgering and hostile work environment created.

The company should reevaluate it's purpose, create a clean friendly well - lit store and sell stuff for under a dollar! That was it's mission originally, and it was highly successful.

ok to work for

I have been working at 99 Cents Only

Pros

pay on time every friday

Cons

hard work benefitswith lousy

Always on part time

Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at 99 Cents Only

Pros

Accommodates your preferred day-off. Encourages on time breaks and lunch.

Cons

Stay part time for the rest of your life with 20-28 hours a week except of course during Holiday season. No advancement.

Consider offering old timers a full time job.

stuck in the dark ages

I have been working at 99 Cents Only full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great product, revamping brand image, HR really makes an effort to keep morale up and appreciate the employees, great benefits. great for employees that are seeking consistency and are not concerned with growth or advancement.

Cons

senior leadership emphasizes growth and development but repeatedly dismiss input from employees who are experts in their field and were hired to propel the company forward. most executives have been around for decades, and instead of valuing and encouraging new ideas, employees are expected to be robots who just execute directives from the top.

depending on the position, people either work 40hrs per week or 60hrs per week.

titles don't match job description. managers do work that, at other companies, would be considered staff-level responsibilities. directors and VPs do work that managers should be responsible for.

trust and listen to your employees. having come from other companies that have succeeded in what you're trying to do, their input can greatly help achieve your goals. it is much more difficult to be successful without changing your process. spend more time strategizing and driving the business, and less time doing work that you should be entrusting to your team.

Higher management does not care about the people.

Former Employee - Head Cashier in San Ysidro, CA
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in San Ysidro, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As with any other company, you get to meet great people.

Cons

There is no social reward to balance the work pressure.

Get trained on you social skills.

Wow

Current Employee - Key Holder in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Riverside, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Well the people are cool at least till....

Cons

Late hours and always changing a lot of flirting and sexual misconduct in management

Set schedule no sex

I learn from this company

Former Employee - Key Holder in Pinole, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Pinole, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like working with people

Cons

when you dont get the support from yr manager

always have time for yr coworker

EEOC Nightmare

Former Employee - Store Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Mesa, AZ

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay compared to market competitors
    Great deals on closeout merchandise

Cons

Culture is terrible here... it's a total run over who ever you can to get as far as you can. The company violates so many employment laws it's an absolute joke.

- Doesn't follow company outlined holiday policy. Had been refusing employee holidays or compensatory floating day for over 15 years. Tenured employees are too scared to speak up. Wage and hour states that employers must follow their company policy if they have one. DM stated he would give me a floating day when I informed him of the company policy.
    - Unmerited increases. An employee of mine that had been promoted to a next level manager (a promotion I didn't agree with) received an 18% increase from my DM after only 2 months... even though she clearly was not demonstrating the necessary skill set or drive for the position. Other management employees only received 2% increases (industry average). One of the other management employees contacted the regional HR manager and was told that the 18% raise was only to get that employee up to the average of that positions pay rate. Unfortunately the regional HR manager failed to even look at the personnel file of the person calling and didn't realize that they weren't even making what he claimed was the 'average' of that position and had been in the position for far longer and demonstrated a much higher skill set and achieved much higher results.
    - DM openly stated that he does not like working with 'white people'. This was brought up to the regional manager and yet he still lacked the backbone to handle it accordingly.
    - Allows convicted felons to work there. First off, they don't conduct basic background checks or drug screens for their non management employees. I overheard an employee mention something to someone about having a probation officer. It was then found out that this employee had a conviction for selling narcotics. I informed my DM and he stated he would inform HR. I then informed HR myself and they stated we can't do anything because that would be discrimination. I then had to deal with this employee bringing drugs on the premises and attempting to sell them to co-workers and customers. I finally was able to terminate the employee due to repeated attendance issues.

So the big question here is why isn't the executive management team aware of this? Any successful manager or director is always aware of at least most of what is going on with their employees and or stores. Hopefully someone gets wind of what is going on so they can get start treating their current employees with a level of respect that they deserve. Walk into any store in CA then any store in AZ and you can tell the difference. I got out early and decided to go back to working for a reputable company.

I enjoyed working here for the most part

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working here is great in certain aspects. Most employees get decent hours, less than 40, but they are not as strict as other companies and are more lenient with giving extra hours. Those who work hard also get promoted frequently.

Cons

Working here can be challenging as far as management. Some stores do not have a solid management team which is challenging for the rest of the employees.

Good Job to learn and grow

Current Employee - Stocker
    Current Employee - Stocker

I have been working at 99 Cents Only part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Asked to wear many hats and gives lots of experience. Praised by management for hard work. Overtime pay.

Cons

Long hours, always lots of work.

99 Cents Only Photos