99 Cents Only

www.99only.com

99 Cents Only Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Stéphane Gonthier

Pros
  • Competitive pay, good benefits, alot of tenured employees(in 3 reviews)

• Busy, learn new things every day, make a difference with someone, whether co-worker or customer(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay, Huge Amounts of work, expect managers to work 52 hours a week with really(in 6 reviews)

I sincerely hope CEO will not just discount this.

Management Team Member (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsBusy, learn new things every day, make a difference with someone, whether co-worker or customer.

ConsLack of communication, dm's and hr hard to reach, favoritism, Lack of morals and integrity in upper management (SM'S & UP)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at who you have in place. Reverse evaluations could be very helpful. To much hiring for management from the outside, when you have perfectly qualified individuals all ready in stores, And most are doing the job without the pay and recognition. ... usually due to favoritism and/or lack of follow through. Great changes lately, looking forward to a long career here.

Very long interview process, with multiple field leaders at different locations. Interviewing for a Store Manager role.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Whittier, CA

ProsFast paced environment with merchandising freedom, and a great salary package.

ConsSmall business with a huge customer base and lack of basic IT support.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize IT programs to build leadership communication, associate productivity, and customer service.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Out Sourced

IT Department (Former Employee)

ProsLeaving this out for reasons. Leaving this out for reasons. Leaving this out for reasons. Leaving this out for reasons.

ConsLow pay, out sourced IT out of the country. Laid off over 150 or more since late last year in favor of employees not in this country.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to a family run company. Get the original owners to run shop again.
    Return to a family run company. Get the original owners to run shop again.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

okay

Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) Palmdale, CA

ProsThey work with your schedule, so if your in school then this is a great part time job.
    opportunities of growth in the company

Consthey hardly ever go by your scheduled time to leave. (overtime is a must)

Advice to Senior Management99 cent store core values consists of "working managers". Please enforce this, so the store managers don't sit on their butts all day and order people around.

It was very interesting working at the store

Cashier (Former Employee) Pinole, CA

ProsPaid weekly also always doing something never get bored.

ConsLeadership wasnt really there sometimes.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Worst job EVER!!!

Cashier (Current Employee) Garden Grove, CA

ProsThe ONLY good thing I can say... If you are a responsible person and have an IQ above a pet rock, they will give you hours. Ooops... one more thing... you get first pick at the deals. I.E. - bacon or lunch meat.

ConsI don’t even know where to begin with this one. I guess I will start with PAY. Everyone starts at $8.05 an hour and then you are eligible for a $.50 raise after 99 days. FYI they don’t give their reviews on time. The longer they push it off, the better it is on their budget. This includes the “annual” raise which is a joke. The most I’ve ever seen someone get is $.25 an hour. Most people get nothing to (if you are lucky) $.15 an hour! This company hires anyone and they take full advantage of them. Not a nice company to work for. If you do advance in the company, they usually give a dollar raise per position. They treat their employees horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrug test your employees and managers. The company hires parolees and drug court people. They pass the initial drug test and then usually resume their "normal" activity after they are off probation or parole. Haven't you ever noticed your employees suddenly losing weight under the guise of diet or sickness??? Get with it!!! Ray Charles can see it from outer space. If make the whole company look bad!!

Assistant manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was brought in making more than most of the other ASM so pay was good that's about it.

ConsHorrible training had to basically teach myself, store was dirty n unorganized, store manager didn't know what they were doing very rude n disrespectful always talked down to employees if they didn't suck up to them, the DM's were horrible I mean horrible in the las vegas area if you didn't kiss there butt or speak there language you stuck in your spot n want ever move up

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to replace both DM'S in Vegas n get real ones who know what there doing and who cares about advancing there teams n not talking down to them like there dogs

Need to pay more.

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsThe cheap things and some funny customers

ConsBad pay horrible training and corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementStand behind employees

Things Change

ProsThe new CEO moves fast and is looking to improve the 99 Cent Only Stores

Cons.With all the "improvements", there is no job security here.

Good place to work for a few years.

ProsGood hours. Good people. Great prices.

ConsBad Communication and strict bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is KEY.

Worked for 99 Cents Only? Contribute to the Community!