99 Cents Only

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
2.6

St├ęphane Gonthier

Pros
  • Competitive pay, good benefits, alot of tenured employees (in 3 reviews)

• The team in the offices, the warehouse and the stores are all very dedicated and hard working (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay, Huge Amounts of work, expect managers to work 52 hours a week with really (in 9 reviews)

• Dishonest upper management that abuses employees, especially Hispanics (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Flexible

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work schedule. manager very friendly and a lot of great items at low prices.

Cons

Stocking can me very heavy and there is a lot of pressure to get the merchandise out even when there is no room to put it at. The pay is not very good, one of the reasons I left. When the minimum went up to nine dollars an hour I lost what I had worked for when the minimum was eight dollars, my pay was almost at nine. So, I had the same wage a new person had when I knew how to do way more, from reading the flow charts, doing the seasonal aisle, cycle counts, repacking, inventory, and break pallet seals.

Company offers a lot of opportunity for growth to their employees.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities. Flexible scheduling available. Yearly salary reviews.

Cons

Corporate headquarters is located in a sketchy area of Commerce. Lots of semi-trucks to weave through just to get into the parking lot. Being "Cat-Called" was a "norm" while walking into the building.

Move locations.

Better than not having a job.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hanford, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hanford, CA

I have been working at 99 Cents Only

Pros

Good pay. Can work as much as you want.

Cons

No work life work balance. Work 6-7 days a week 60-70 hrs.

Let your managers take back to back day off. Maybe a weekend from time to time.

They are a mess

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bryan, TX

I worked at 99 Cents Only full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a company that could do great things...but without some changes, won't. As a store manager you have a good deal of latitude to run your own business and the pay is ok. That's the good.

Cons

As a store manager you should have the ability to hire a cashier or stocker when needed, however per company policy, your district manager has to do a second interview in order to hire anyone. While you have some control over incoming merchandise, the company pushes whatever they have with limited regard to store volume. The store I was at received twice the number of summer dresses that we could sell, at the end of the season we added them to the pallets of dresses in the back room from the previous two years.

I think that my experience could have been much better with the right district manager but I had the WRONG district manager. This is a company desperately trying to reinvent itself, but without supporting store managers they will fail. I had the opportunity to see some good district managers who did support their store managers so maybe they have some hope.

There was a lot of cleaning house in the stores in Texas, look at the support people and make sure you have the right people in place there.

Overall, 99 Cents Only Stores was a good place to work.

I worked at 99 Cents Only

Pros

Great people with a rich company and corporate culture. The company was founded by an entrepreneur who had his heart into helping people and providing great products for under a buck! His spirit lived through many of the employees who he had helped through the years, and they remained loyal. Many working for the company for over 20 years, some as a cashier/stocker.

Cons

After the company was bought out, changes were pushed, some for the better, but most were treating people very badly. Overall, the new ownership viewed the employees who had been around as a threat of blocking change. Big lay offs happened, hundreds of long term employees terminated, laid off, or quit after the year of badgering and hostile work environment created.

The company should reevaluate it's purpose, create a clean friendly well - lit store and sell stuff for under a dollar! That was it's mission originally, and it was highly successful.

Few hours a week

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time

Pros

They try to accommodate your preferred day offs.

Cons

Weekly schedule is always a surprise. Sometimes you get only 2-3 working days in a week with varying shifts. No chance to take a second job.

Provide employees with a fixed schedule, so they can still find a second job.

ok to work for

I have been working at 99 Cents Only

Pros

pay on time every friday

Cons

hard work benefitswith lousy

Always on part time

Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at 99 Cents Only

Pros

Accommodates your preferred day-off. Encourages on time breaks and lunch.

Cons

Stay part time for the rest of your life with 20-28 hours a week except of course during Holiday season. No advancement.

Consider offering old timers a full time job.

Never again

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Lake Elsinore, CA
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Lake Elsinore, CA

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great produce, great frozen section, great for experience, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Management bullies, terrible pay, too much work for one person, rules are never enforced.

undercover boss. This company needs it. Pay attention to management, they give hours according to who is favorite. I went through 4 store managers and each one was the same.

Get a job somewhere else

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at 99 Cents Only part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great cashiers to work with

Cons

management, promotions, hours given, pay rate, management trash talks it's employees if they are foreign, facility cleanliness, better products, better security

change the entire management procedure

99 Cents Only Photos