99 Cents Only
www.99only.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

99 Cents Only Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Stéphane Gonthier

I sincerely hope CEO will not just discount this.

Management Team Member (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsBusy, learn new things every day, make a difference with someone, whether co-worker or customer.

ConsLack of communication, dm's and hr hard to reach, favoritism, Lack of morals and integrity in upper management (SM'S & UP)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at who you have in place. Reverse evaluations could be very helpful. To much hiring for management from the outside, when you have perfectly qualified individuals all ready in stores, And most are doing the job without the pay and recognition. ... usually due to favoritism and/or lack of follow through. Great changes lately, looking forward to a long career here.

okay

Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee)
    Palmdale, CA

ProsThey work with your schedule, so if your in school then this is a great part time job.
    opportunities of growth in the company

Consthey hardly ever go by your scheduled time to leave. (overtime is a must)

Advice to Senior Management99 cent store core values consists of "working managers". Please enforce this, so the store managers don't sit on their butts all day and order people around.

It was very interesting working at the store

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Pinole, CA

ProsPaid weekly also always doing something never get bored.

ConsLeadership wasnt really there sometimes.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst job EVER!!!

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Garden Grove, CA

ProsThe ONLY good thing I can say... If you are a responsible person and have an IQ above a pet rock, they will give you hours. Ooops... one more thing... you get first pick at the deals. I.E. - bacon or lunch meat.

ConsI don’t even know where to begin with this one. I guess I will start with PAY. Everyone starts at $8.05 an hour and then you are eligible for a $.50 raise after 99 days. FYI they don’t give their reviews on time. The longer they push it off, the better it is on their budget. This includes the “annual” raise which is a joke. The most I’ve ever seen someone get is $.25 an hour. Most people get nothing to (if you are lucky) $.15 an hour! This company hires anyone and they take full advantage of them. Not a nice company to work for. If you do advance in the company, they usually give a dollar raise per position. They treat their employees horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrug test your employees and managers. The company hires parolees and drug court people. They pass the initial drug test and then usually resume their "normal" activity after they are off probation or parole. Haven't you ever noticed your employees suddenly losing weight under the guise of diet or sickness??? Get with it!!! Ray Charles can see it from outer space. If make the whole company look bad!!

Things Change

ProsThe new CEO moves fast and is looking to improve the 99 Cent Only Stores

Cons.With all the "improvements", there is no job security here.

Assistant manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was brought in making more than most of the other ASM so pay was good that's about it.

ConsHorrible training had to basically teach myself, store was dirty n unorganized, store manager didn't know what they were doing very rude n disrespectful always talked down to employees if they didn't suck up to them, the DM's were horrible I mean horrible in the las vegas area if you didn't kiss there butt or speak there language you stuck in your spot n want ever move up

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to replace both DM'S in Vegas n get real ones who know what there doing and who cares about advancing there teams n not talking down to them like there dogs

Need to pay more.

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsThe cheap things and some funny customers

ConsBad pay horrible training and corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementStand behind employees

Good place to work for a few years.

ProsGood hours. Good people. Great prices.

ConsBad Communication and strict bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is KEY.

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat co workers. Nothing else good to say.

ConsManagement have preference for some people, if you are in the good list, and I mean kissing buds, they will give you hours. Most of the employees are part time with no even 20 hrs a week, minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers and assistants to treat employees with respect. The fact that we are working on a minimum wage doesn't mean that we can be treated like crap.

Want Respect don't work here.

(Former Employee)

Prosthey work with Schedule sometimes. able to get cheap stuff first. relaxed dress code. good start for first job.

Consunless you are good with management socially forget to move up. very un-customer focused. got in trouble for helping a customer find items. no communication other than post a bulletin in a board that never gets cleaned from past bulletins... Low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementRESPECT!!!! I felt so disrespected from the management here. they need to take management classes. This was the only company I lost respect for the management after i seen how they treat the employees. I seen actions from "do as I say not as I do" to management using very unprofessional language and actions. Management need to learn how to delegate and give REALISTIC goals. no matter how fast you do something you don't get praise

Worked for 99 Cents Only? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 99 Cents Only reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 99 Cents Only CEO St├ęphane Gonthier. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by 99 Cents Only employees.