Aéropostale

Aéropostale Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson

Thomas P. Johnson

Pros:
  • "Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount"
    in 33 reviews
  • "The discount was pretty good, you could combine store discounts with your employee discount"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management did not provide a work life balance"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cool place to work, relaxed environment

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsManagement at my location was cool. (Sandhills, Columbia, SC)

ConsDidn't receive very many hours.

My first job experience wasn't too bad.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Biloxi, MS

ProsDiscounts are amazing and customers are usually easy to help

ConsConstant change in how things are done and they no longer give raises

Great Experience

Assistant Manager (Merchandising) (Current Employee)

ProsCompany prefers to promote from within. Sets up different programs to help full-time and part-time employees, such as helping pay for college classes (for full-time employees), and the ability to apply for grants to help with medical bills, family funeral expenses, or unforseen natural disasters (for both full/part-time employees). Puts a lot of emphasis on volunteer work and values. Most people I have met from corporate are incredibly nice and down-to-earth, most of all the CEO. The higher up you go, the better the quality of life is, but you must be willing to work hard for it. They are changing rapidly to become a more "fashion focused" company, and the clothes are actually really cute. You are not required to wear their clothes or buy their product on a regular basis, but more and more I find myself wanting to. The discount off clothing is very good, and you get your discount in addition to the current sale.

ConsVery fast-paced environment, sometimes chaotically so. Many different corporate branches trickling down things to do at once, yet there is a lot of pressure to stop tasking once the store is open to concentrate on customer service, yet given the vast amount of tasks given or necessary (i.e. filling the sales floor), this is impossible. Can be a very hectic work environment, which only increases in higher volume stores. Company is trying to change their image as fast as possible, which is little by little working, but it only adds to the craziness. If you get used to this company, you will be bored anywhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between different branches of corporate needed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going down!

Pros-Discounts
    -Flexible hours
    -Casual attire
    -Fun at times.

Cons-Hours
    -Gossip
    -Forcing teens to advertise on their social media for free!
    -Pay
    -Forcing teens to advertise at their high schools!
    -Pushy costumers

Advice to Senior Management-Be more considerate of all associates
    -Associates should not have to be forced to share anything on their own personal social media. Work/home balance life.

Company does not care about its employees

Sales Lead Manager (Current Employee)
    Monroe, MI

ProsGood discount, fun coworkers (generally), opportunity for bonuses under certain circumstances, floor sets can be gratifying although they are very stressful

ConsNot enough compensation, negative work atmosphere, upper level management/corporate believes work should be your life

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are wanting to be some type of manager at Aéropostale, be prepared for an immense amount of pressure. Everything is about money, which is not unusual as it is a business, but it gets to the point to where the "higher-ups" are harassing you for not making as much money for the company as they believe you should. It is a very negative atmosphere and many times I would go to work in fear for what would happen next. Many of the corporate employees in emails would swear at you and be very demeaning in general.

Pleasurable work experience...

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Jackson, MS

ProsGreat team of people to work with. The training session wasn't that time consuming. The leaders were enthusiastic about working there which made the job more fun.

ConsThe work load of cleaning and closing down the store. Especially when you in a big city in a busy shopping area.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to change. I enjoyed my time working there.

Worst managers ever & a bunch of fake people!

New York, NY

Prosgood vacation days, decent salary

Consunfair treatment to employees, gotta be careful who you say things to, bunch of fake people, favoritism...based on seniority & how well you play the game, poor managers who don't even know how to manage people at all. & company is doing very bad financially!

Advice to Senior ManagementHR should hear what employees have to say about their managers and reviews should not be just one sided. Managers should also be evaluated as well....there's a lot of managers who are just with Aeropostale for a long time, it doesn't mean they know how to be a good manager.

Fun environment, hard to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat work environment, most people are friendly, lots of activities to foster a positive work culture

Consextremely difficult to move up, especially to a new department. HR very vague when asked about why it is so difficult to move, seems like because people are very catty and the higher ups just want the same 10 people around.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more open to people you are not as familiar with.

I was a seasonal employee.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsThe store offers an employee discount and it is an easy job to learn and grow accustom to pretty quickly.

ConsThere seems to be a very quick turnover not only in sales associates, however in store managers as well. The particular store I worked for was pretty unorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership should be improved.

No Place like Aero

Prosgreat family-like atmosphere, very welcoming.

ConsHigh stress job even for sales associates, managers get put under a lot of pressure and pass it on to you, lots of tasks with unreasonable time limits and being held accountable for things you can't really control like how many items every customer buys.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the sales associates, this isn't their career like it is yours. Do what you say you will, don't make an offer and then retract it out of nowhere, pay the employees fairly, based on quality and seniority.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aéropostale reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson. All 463 reviews posted anonymously by Aéropostale employees.