Aéropostale

Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 43 reviews)

• Aero also gives employees a great discount (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• I've worked with several girls who have been in Sales for YEARS and still get paid minimum wage (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great store management!

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Store Management
    Friendly and helpful Managers and crew members
    Easy to request days off
    Flexible schedule
    Discount!!!!! 40% for Ambassadors
    30% every one else
    50% off once a month to be used on ; two tops, two bottoms and two accssories
    accelerated discounts!

Cons

Low pay- minimum wage
    Aero did not give store managers time-and a half for holidays. This mattered because the store managers become very close asociates
    Random store closing

Please give all employees time and a half. You have the day off, show some appreciation.

Being a key holder and responsible for making volume goals each day

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The workers are great and atmosphere can be really fun

Cons

Floorsets are no fun and it's a lot of responsibility. Z

Fun environment but bad businesses practices

Former Employee - Merchandise Flow Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Merchandise Flow Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

The company has a great, friendly environment. The clothes are so different now than they were before, very fashion forward. Also non-expensive, combined with employee discounts makes your wardrobe very cheap. It is also very good quality stuff that they sell.

Cons

Corporate has royally screwed the company over. So much money has been wasted on pointless marketing gimmicks and in-store banners and whatnot. Directions from corporate are always getting messed up. Promotions can be a nightmare, most of the hourly staff doesn't know how to do them. The company has tried to become more fashion forward, but they took way too long to do so and have fallen behind their competitors.

Stop with the dumb marketing gimmicks. Put your money into the product. If the product is good, people will want it and buy it.

Great place to work

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

You get a huge discount on the all of the clothes. The training is really efficient and helps you do your job to the best of the ability. I love working for Aeropostale. The managers are really nice and encouraging. Even the District Manager.

Cons

I would love to have more hours but the job only maxes at around 30.

Excellent to work for.

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work for Aeropostale in Carmel, Indiana at Clay Terrace. I must say, I have never worked for a company with as much flexibility as Aeropostale. At our store, we always get the chance to interact with our customers, rather than ignore them. The other people I work with are thought of as a family rather than co-workers. At the end of the day, I always feel as if I have the work I have completed served a purpose, rather than just another task that had to be completed. The company also treats its employees very well, with many benefits. I enjoy working for Aeropostale.

Cons

I do not have any cons about working for Aeropostale. Apply. You will not regret.

Overall great work environment, fun, and relaxed.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Take care of employees.
    Flexible scheduling for those in school.
    Don't want to hassle customers to death.
    Great employee discount

Cons

Low Pay
    A little strict on dress code

Fair employer

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, hours, compensation, management structure

Cons

Open door policy for complaints, room for growth

The company values were great and energy was high with a new store opening. Try to raise the bar when it comes to how you compensate and pay lower level employees. I had brought over a slew of employees from American Eagle and most ended up leaving because of false promises from store manager and decrease in pay that they took from leaving.

Worked at P.S. from Aeropostale. (Children's Aeropostale)

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Merchandise Flow Associate in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked here for a year and 6 months. I absolutely LOVED the job itself. The interview was friendly, the training process was fun, and the whole staff is amazing. I was so sad to leave it!

-I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this job.
    -Flexible scheduling
    -fun, upbeat environment
    -there's a lot you can learn from working here

Cons

-Pays minimum wage ($7.93)

-No raises are given to associates. And if there are, they're done yearly. And usually only 13 or 15 cents.

-You cannot be promoted to a sales lead (or anything else) unless you are at least 21 years old. This was a big problem for me, because I had worked for the company for a long time. Multiple managers told me I deserved to be promoted, but the company denied it each time because I'm only 19 years old.

-There aren't a whole lot of hours to be given. When I first started I was getting scheduled 3-6 hours per week. (But once they know you're good they will schedule you more.) By the time I left I was regularly working 12-15 hours during the school year, and 15-38 during the summer time (and during the Holiday season).

-You will work with mostly teenagers. All the associates are usually 16-18 and they have no prior work experience. Aeropostale likes to hire all teenagers so they can pay them minimum wage.

-Have a few less employees on staff so your hard working employees can have a few more hours.

-Have evaluations for raises! Every 6 months or yearly. I worked here for almost 2 years and was never evaluated.

-Don't be so strict about the age limit for sales leads. I believe that if you have an employee that has worked for you for 2 years, has NEVER called out sick, works hard, and deserves the job, they should be seriously considered.
         I had multiple managers tell me that I was more then qualified for the position, but could not be promoted because I was one year younger than required for the position. I had managers tell me that i was the best sales associate they had ever worked with.
         I worked hard, and got almost nothing in return. You lost an excellent employee because of this rule.

AERO REVIEW

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

Culture, team, opinions are encouraged

Cons

Management at times, more classes and time to take them, sometimes asked for unnecessary reports/information which wastes time from actual projects

Great company to work for, one of the best jobs I've had in my life

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comfortable working environment
    Strong company culture
    Ability to advance with strong effort
    Communication to management very easy
    Training is constant
    Competitive pay and bonuses

Cons

In retail, the work-life balance is always a struggle, but at Aeropostale, they try to work with your needs the best they could. Otherwise, on peak seasons as usual, there are long hours and overnights.
    Lots of work politics

Know who your dedicated employees are and give them a chance to show what they can do.

Aéropostale Photos