Aéropostale

Aéropostale Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson

Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount (in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

worst job ever!

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)

Prosa good discount
    good promotions
    a job to start

ConsThis job was a disaster. I never changed work zone when I worked for 10 months. I was always on greets. other sales assis. always stay at the cashier table and chat. This place is filled with lazy teenagers. Since Aero is a teen clothing store, I'm not sure why would they hire someone that are in their 30's to be the key holder.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be strict to the sale assis. Give them direction when they arrive to work, make them switch work zones. Since it is a clothing store, hire employee that has a good taste in fashion. They way how the employee look does representing the store and the company!

Going down!

Pros-Discounts
    -Flexible hours
    -Casual attire
    -Fun at times.

Cons-Hours
    -Gossip
    -Forcing teens to advertise on their social media for free!
    -Pay
    -Forcing teens to advertise at their high schools!
    -Pushy costumers

Advice to Senior Management-Be more considerate of all associates
    -Associates should not have to be forced to share anything on their own personal social media. Work/home balance life.

Company does not care about its employees

Sales Lead Manager (Current Employee) Monroe, MI

ProsGood discount, fun coworkers (generally), opportunity for bonuses under certain circumstances, floor sets can be gratifying although they are very stressful

ConsNot enough compensation, negative work atmosphere, upper level management/corporate believes work should be your life

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are wanting to be some type of manager at Aéropostale, be prepared for an immense amount of pressure. Everything is about money, which is not unusual as it is a business, but it gets to the point to where the "higher-ups" are harassing you for not making as much money for the company as they believe you should. It is a very negative atmosphere and many times I would go to work in fear for what would happen next. Many of the corporate employees in emails would swear at you and be very demeaning in general.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst job I've ever had

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSomewhat decent pay, benefits. Good vacation and sick time (but way too many rules about using it).

ConsEmotionally abusive job. District and store management are buddy-buddy, play favorites, and ensure lack of a team environment. Was promised a major promotion, but denied when the company started doing very poorly. Now, they're basically pushing me out the door, citing my unhappiness - ya think? Don't ever, ever work here. At one point, the emotional abuse was so horrible, I tried to kill myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees well enough they can leave, but treat them well enough that they stay. Emotional abuse is absolutely unacceptable. Don't take away 401k matching and raises, but still insist on things like PIP, etc.

The perfect place for teens who are not yet serious about their future

Merch Flow Associate (Current Employee)

ProsAs cheap as the prices are for merchandise to the general public, the employee discounts make it considerably cheaper. Nice enough people (on the surface, that is)

ConsPoor management in various departments including: Human resources, scheduling and logistics, amongst others. Conflicting management, for example: training by different people without consistency; restricting freedom of control for employees, then stating that they do not take any initiative; lying about the minimum number of hours that will be worked; assigning on-calls which is simply useless and annoying (real companies use a concept call "forecasting"); lying about growth within the company; constantly hiring new people when current employees are working at best, 4 hours a week; amongst other things. If you are a male, you will be alienated unless you work in a larger store with other males working overlapping shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother, management will not listen, or do not care enough to listen. If they are, my one advice is to go back to business school, take the undergraduate program (business commerce or business administration) and realize the plethora of mistakes and illegal/unethical activities that you are committing.

No Work Life Balance

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay, good training sessions, for the most part there is very good lower level management communication.

ConsWhere do I start... If you enjoy working 60-70 hours a week, and getting paid half time for 20-30 of those hours, Aero is the right place for you. If you enjoy getting asked to work off the clock to save payroll, Aero is the right place for you. There is NO connection from HR to the stores, and they don't listen to what you have to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your people. THEY are the ones working in your stores, not you. Theres a difference between being salaried and working over 40 hours, and being hourly and being asked to clock out after you've worked your 40 hours.

Black Friday

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Santa Anita, CA

ProsDiscount, Training, Easy Job. It was close to home and there was a thirty minute break.

ConsIt was black friday. Lots of teenagers!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease let your employees know if you are only going to hire them for one day. I was told it was a seasonal job but became suspicious when management wanted everyone to start on Black Friday. That Monday I was let go. What the heck, dude?

Awful company to work for

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Minot, ND

ProsWork Life Balance
    Bonuses
    Discounts
    Monthly Employee Sales

ConsWhen $50.00 from sales we had to buy items to reach sales goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Manager did not like me speaking spanish to spanish speaking customers because they would find it offensive even if sales would increase. I was forced to quit by the District and Store Manager, the store manager had occasionally threaten to write me up in numerous times until she found different excuses to write me up. Poor training on the store manager's side. They need to find open minded people and look how beneficial it is to have employees that are bilingual.

Worked at P.S. From Aeropostale for 2 years!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount was very good
    People I worked with were nice and around my age

ConsPay was horrible only made $7.40 and after two years I was making $7.50
    Management was every immature and would talk about employees
    Customers were very rude
    Hours were nonexistent I only had 4 hrs a week and some people had none they only had on calls , during holiday the most I worked was 15 hrs a week
    The company is falling fast , our store would only make $400 in a whole day
    Yet management blamed us for that even though no customers would come in
    No room for advancement I had 3 managers quit and they would go to justice or Claire's and recruit people from there instead of promoting from within
    They give you 100 projects to get done in a 3-4 hr shift which was impossible

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less people and give people who have been there for a while actual hours

Great for HS kids, horrible for everyone else

ProsFlexible hours
    Generous Discount
    Ease of Transfer

ConsPoor compensation
    Demeaning management
    Profit-focused
    Horrible Retention
    Does not uphold "values"

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!