Aéropostale

Updated December 22, 2014
3.2

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 43 reviews)

• Aero also gives employees a great discount (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• I've worked with several girls who have been in Sales for YEARS and still get paid minimum wage (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

High expectations with terrible compensation.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work environment is fun and you can wear whatever you want.

Cons

As a sales lead, you hold keys to the store. You are a manager in charge of hiring and training as well as working long hours. You have many responsibilities.... and they pay you 8-9 dollars an hour, so next to nothing.

I would consider paying your sales leads more. They barely get paid more than regular associates but are expected to do substantially more.

I actually tried to kill myself in the bathroom because of the company and people.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager Merchandising in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager Merchandising in Evansville, IN

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty much just the discount if you like the clothes they have. I only bought Camis and socks, but it was a good price.

Cons

Working weekends, working 40-70 hours per week, unsupportive upper management, dealing with shoplifters and getting threatened by them. They are not doing well financially. Recently their stock was lower than when the first incorporated. They laid off hundreds at corporate level and are doing no 401k matching or raises, merit or otherwise.

sales associate

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

flexible hours i dont know i dont know
    fun
    easy
    smiley
    time square b!tch

Cons

low pay
    stupid rules
    bad co workers

pay more guys

The worst job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Relationships you make with co-workers

Cons

It's probably a very fun job if you have the right manager knowing what he's doing

Annoying

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Destin, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Destin, FL

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

30% discount to buy their clothes that you had to wear during your shift.
    On the occasion that cute clothes come in you kind of get first dibs on them.
    Some managers are really cool people

Cons

-having to wear aero clothes. Their jeans don't fit me right so I would wear hollister jeans and would get in trouble for it.
    -little to no hours. I worked a total of 16 hours in 3 months.
    -managers act like high school girls, gossiping and bickering all the time.
    I was on call one day and I called and said I wouldn't be able to come in because I had to study for a test but was forced to come in anyways and was kept there until 10 at night.
    Working here is absolutely awful.

Take better care of your employees.

Worst Company To Work For

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible if you're in school or in entertainment

Cons

No hours (the company is broke as hell and irrelevant), no room for advancement the employees and managers act like they're in high school: cliquish, unfriendly, gossip, superficial, and the list goes on.

Pay your employees more than minimum wage, make better clothes, discourage high school behavior, and treat customers better, you suck

Worse experience of my career.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What interested me at first with this company is the Career Development Plan they start with all new managers. About 70% of store managers with the company have been promoted from within.

Cons

I was recruited to Aeropostale with false promises. I want to educate everyone so they do not make the same mistake as I did. After you work 40 hrs a week, you receive "half time". Instead of time and a half pay, they actually CUT your hourly wage in half. They require you to work 45 to 50 hours a week during holiday season, but will not pay you your full salary. This is a struggling company and in my opinion, will be dissolved in the near future.

You're relaunching the company, now's the time to get your associates and managers up to date. Workshops and classes would be beneficial. Provide a better work-life balance, and provide better compensation. You get better and more reliable part-time associates with competitive pay as opposed to minimum wage.

Going down!

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Discounts
    -Flexible hours
    -Casual attire
    -Fun at times.

Cons

-Hours
    -Gossip
    -Forcing teens to advertise on their social media for free!
    -Pay
    -Forcing teens to advertise at their high schools!
    -Pushy costumers

-Be more considerate of all associates
    -Associates should not have to be forced to share anything on their own personal social media. Work/home balance life.

Company does not care about its employees

Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager in Monroe, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager in Monroe, MI

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount, fun coworkers (generally), opportunity for bonuses under certain circumstances, floor sets can be gratifying although they are very stressful

Cons

Not enough compensation, negative work atmosphere, upper level management/corporate believes work should be your life

If you are wanting to be some type of manager at Aéropostale, be prepared for an immense amount of pressure. Everything is about money, which is not unusual as it is a business, but it gets to the point to where the "higher-ups" are harassing you for not making as much money for the company as they believe you should. It is a very negative atmosphere and many times I would go to work in fear for what would happen next. Many of the corporate employees in emails would swear at you and be very demeaning in general.

The perfect place for teens who are not yet serious about their future

Current Employee - Merch Flow Associate
    Current Employee - Merch Flow Associate

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As cheap as the prices are for merchandise to the general public, the employee discounts make it considerably cheaper. Nice enough people (on the surface, that is)

Cons

Poor management in various departments including: Human resources, scheduling and logistics, amongst others. Conflicting management, for example: training by different people without consistency; restricting freedom of control for employees, then stating that they do not take any initiative; lying about the minimum number of hours that will be worked; assigning on-calls which is simply useless and annoying (real companies use a concept call "forecasting"); lying about growth within the company; constantly hiring new people when current employees are working at best, 4 hours a week; amongst other things. If you are a male, you will be alienated unless you work in a larger store with other males working overlapping shifts.

Why bother, management will not listen, or do not care enough to listen. If they are, my one advice is to go back to business school, take the undergraduate program (business commerce or business administration) and realize the plethora of mistakes and illegal/unethical activities that you are committing.

Aéropostale Photos