Aéropostale

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount (in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Annoying

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Destin, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Destin, FL

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

30% discount to buy their clothes that you had to wear during your shift.
    On the occasion that cute clothes come in you kind of get first dibs on them.
    Some managers are really cool people

Cons

-having to wear aero clothes. Their jeans don't fit me right so I would wear hollister jeans and would get in trouble for it.
    -little to no hours. I worked a total of 16 hours in 3 months.
    -managers act like high school girls, gossiping and bickering all the time.
    I was on call one day and I called and said I wouldn't be able to come in because I had to study for a test but was forced to come in anyways and was kept there until 10 at night.
    Working here is absolutely awful.

Take better care of your employees.

Worst Company To Work For

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible if you're in school or in entertainment

Cons

No hours (the company is broke as hell and irrelevant), no room for advancement the employees and managers act like they're in high school: cliquish, unfriendly, gossip, superficial, and the list goes on.

Pay your employees more than minimum wage, make better clothes, discourage high school behavior, and treat customers better, you suck

Worse experience of my career.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for less than a year

Pros

What interested me at first with this company is the Career Development Plan they start with all new managers. About 70% of store managers with the company have been promoted from within.

Cons

I was recruited to Aeropostale with false promises. I want to educate everyone so they do not make the same mistake as I did. After you work 40 hrs a week, you receive "half time". Instead of time and a half pay, they actually CUT your hourly wage in half. They require you to work 45 to 50 hours a week during holiday season, but will not pay you your full salary. This is a struggling company and in my opinion, will be dissolved in the near future.

You're relaunching the company, now's the time to get your associates and managers up to date. Workshops and classes would be beneficial. Provide a better work-life balance, and provide better compensation. You get better and more reliable part-time associates with competitive pay as opposed to minimum wage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

worst job ever!

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

a good discount
    good promotions
    a job to start

Cons

This job was a disaster. I never changed work zone when I worked for 10 months. I was always on greets. other sales assis. always stay at the cashier table and chat. This place is filled with lazy teenagers. Since Aero is a teen clothing store, I'm not sure why would they hire someone that are in their 30's to be the key holder.

Please be strict to the sale assis. Give them direction when they arrive to work, make them switch work zones. Since it is a clothing store, hire employee that has a good taste in fashion. They way how the employee look does representing the store and the company!

Going down!

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Discounts
    -Flexible hours
    -Casual attire
    -Fun at times.

Cons

-Hours
    -Gossip
    -Forcing teens to advertise on their social media for free!
    -Pay
    -Forcing teens to advertise at their high schools!
    -Pushy costumers

-Be more considerate of all associates
    -Associates should not have to be forced to share anything on their own personal social media. Work/home balance life.

Company does not care about its employees

Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager  in  Monroe, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager in Monroe, MI

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount, fun coworkers (generally), opportunity for bonuses under certain circumstances, floor sets can be gratifying although they are very stressful

Cons

Not enough compensation, negative work atmosphere, upper level management/corporate believes work should be your life

If you are wanting to be some type of manager at Aéropostale, be prepared for an immense amount of pressure. Everything is about money, which is not unusual as it is a business, but it gets to the point to where the "higher-ups" are harassing you for not making as much money for the company as they believe you should. It is a very negative atmosphere and many times I would go to work in fear for what would happen next. Many of the corporate employees in emails would swear at you and be very demeaning in general.

Worst job I've ever had

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

Pros

Somewhat decent pay, benefits. Good vacation and sick time (but way too many rules about using it).

Cons

Emotionally abusive job. District and store management are buddy-buddy, play favorites, and ensure lack of a team environment. Was promised a major promotion, but denied when the company started doing very poorly. Now, they're basically pushing me out the door, citing my unhappiness - ya think? Don't ever, ever work here. At one point, the emotional abuse was so horrible, I tried to kill myself.

Train your employees well enough they can leave, but treat them well enough that they stay. Emotional abuse is absolutely unacceptable. Don't take away 401k matching and raises, but still insist on things like PIP, etc.

The perfect place for teens who are not yet serious about their future

Current Employee - Merch Flow Associate
    Current Employee - Merch Flow Associate

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As cheap as the prices are for merchandise to the general public, the employee discounts make it considerably cheaper. Nice enough people (on the surface, that is)

Cons

Poor management in various departments including: Human resources, scheduling and logistics, amongst others. Conflicting management, for example: training by different people without consistency; restricting freedom of control for employees, then stating that they do not take any initiative; lying about the minimum number of hours that will be worked; assigning on-calls which is simply useless and annoying (real companies use a concept call "forecasting"); lying about growth within the company; constantly hiring new people when current employees are working at best, 4 hours a week; amongst other things. If you are a male, you will be alienated unless you work in a larger store with other males working overlapping shifts.

Why bother, management will not listen, or do not care enough to listen. If they are, my one advice is to go back to business school, take the undergraduate program (business commerce or business administration) and realize the plethora of mistakes and illegal/unethical activities that you are committing.

No Work Life Balance

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, good training sessions, for the most part there is very good lower level management communication.

Cons

Where do I start... If you enjoy working 60-70 hours a week, and getting paid half time for 20-30 of those hours, Aero is the right place for you. If you enjoy getting asked to work off the clock to save payroll, Aero is the right place for you. There is NO connection from HR to the stores, and they don't listen to what you have to say.

LISTEN to your people. THEY are the ones working in your stores, not you. Theres a difference between being salaried and working over 40 hours, and being hourly and being asked to clock out after you've worked your 40 hours.

Black Friday

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Anita, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Anita, CA

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, Training, Easy Job. It was close to home and there was a thirty minute break.

Cons

It was black friday. Lots of teenagers!

Please let your employees know if you are only going to hire them for one day. I was told it was a seasonal job but became suspicious when management wanted everyone to start on Black Friday. That Monday I was let go. What the heck, dude?

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!