Aéropostale

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • Aero is pretty good to their employees, and great discount (in 36 reviews)

• The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Not enough staff help because they hire little kids and pay them minimum wage (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Too slow to change. Keep talking about it but not really doing anything about it.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

Pros

My DM is really flexible and understanding which is the only reason I have stayed as long as I have.

You do not have to have a degree to be a Manager. They also hire outside of the company so you can recruit for the best possible candidate.

Aero seems to attract genuinely kind people.

Cons

Payroll hours. Most of the time Managers are on the sales floor alone for hours without bathroom breaks or being able to check for sizes.

Setting promotions is so inefficient. There has got to be a better way to organize it! It is ridiculous having several different price marks at one presentation. Often are given promotions to which we have no signage for. Too many promotional offers. Makes it so confusing for customers so employees are constantly explaining what the price of things are.

Communication from corporate is often confusing. One email will say one thing and another will direct us to do the opposite. Total lack of communication at corporate makes it difficult to know what to do on the store level.

Too slow to change. This is why they are failing in fashion. They keep talking about how much they are changing but the changes are so small you can barely tell. This is the same with policies. It's difficult to tell customers about our new return policy of not accepting returns or exchanges without a receipt, when the policy isn't set in stone. The company tells us to go ahead and make exceptions for some people but then you end up doing it for most people because it's a gray area.

We get the blame for low sales when it really correlates with low traffic. Senior Management is out of touch with what actually happens in stores. Interestingly enough, Tom Johnson was rated the worst CEO ever, yet so many people at Aero worship him! He might have been a really great motivational speaker but he was a poor CEO and somehow the people on the front lines have gotten all the pressure and blame for low sales.

Shipment. We get replenishment to fill our sales floor yet it is a consistent issue within all stores that we never receive the actual merch or sizes needed. It is a completely disorganized, senseless process. I can't believe that this is even an issue. We never seem to have the sizes customers need.

Aero talks alottttt about caring about their employees but it's difficult to really see that on a day to day basis. In my experience it has just been all talk. Only the people who drank the koolaid seem to believe the company actually cares about anything other than money.

Typical retail gripes- working weekends gets so old and makes it harder to stay encouraged. Depending on the mall you work at, the customers can be very unpleasant and after plastering a smile on your face day after day, it can become difficult to stay positive. Telling us to hire high school aged kids as associates and then expecting little turnover and amazing sales is absolutely ridiculous. It gets old to have to teach teenagers how to be responsible adults and actually show up for their shifts.

Put some time into working in your stores to get the real experience of what happens day to day. This will give you more insight of where you should be allocating your energy.

Met some great people but the job became very draining and didn't like some of the new management choices.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible with hours and days off. A lot of friendly coworkers. Lower-level managers were very cool and nice.

Cons

Higher-level managers weren't well picked. Pay wasn't good, and very stingy with raises even if recognized as a important asset to the team. Closing shifts were very long, running through to morning hours a lot of the time.

A lot of your lower management team should be above those at the top. Also, many of the sales associates have other more important obligations such as school that management seemed to realize or be understanding about.

Fun, energetic and great learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual work environment, flexible hours, if your an Aero ambassador you get 40% off in addition to whatever sales are going on (30% if not)

Cons

There's no balance between upper management and newer employees.

Management was really good at the store I worked at.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My life revolves around Aero now.

Current Employee - Style Specialist  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Style Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and friendly coworkers

Cons

No raises, more work, doesn't try to help you grow in pay.

Not exactly what I expected working here would be

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

They give decent employee discounts, and their clothes are cute, but working there really just wasn't worth if.

Cons

Very few hours per week, extremely rude management (I even had friends who were customers that complained about the rudeness of the managers when they went in as shoppers), the back room is completely hectic and unorganized, and insufficient training for new employees

Ok as a First Job but there are better things out there

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Employee discount is alright. It's even better when you're selected as an "ambassador" but only by 10% more.
    -They're generally pretty easy-going about taking days off whenever you need it and as long as you do it before the schedule for that week comes out.
    -I don't know about other stores, but my store team was like a little family with all of the sales associates and managers getting along very well.
    -It's a pretty easy job to pick up. There's nothing untypical about this retail job.

Cons

-Scheduling can get ridiculous. There are weeks where you'll get absolutely no hours and others where you basically won't even have a life because you'll be working all the time. It gets really unpredictable and sometimes even frustrating. Generally though, the dead periods will be any time that isn't Holiday Season or Back-to-School season.
    -You can't be promoted to be a sales lead or anything until you are 21. So if you're a teenager working this job, you'll basically be a sales associate for quite a while if you decide to stay here.
    -The pay. As a sales associate, you will receive minimum wage. The guidebook states that you will be evaluated for a raise at the year point for every year you are there, but I was there for a year and a half and my wage still remained at minimum wage when I left my two week notice.
    -You will have "on-call" shifts. Basically this is where they schedule you for a "maybe" shift. It will be on your schedule, and you will basically have to call in an hour before the shift is scheduled and ask if they need you or not and you might have to come in for all or part of that shift depending on their answer. Or you might not be needed at all. Either way, this makes making plans very difficult because you won't know if you'll end up working or not.
    -This place will cheat you out of your breaks, Employee manual states (and at orientation you are told) that you will get 15 minute breaks and 30 minute breaks after 5 hours and an hour after 7 hours. I have never received a 15 minute break in the year and a half while I was there and I have not seen any of my co-workers take them either. I was also then told I can't take 30 minute breaks unless I have a 6 hour shift (despite the handbook and what was told at orientation) because then I would be working under 5 hours if I took a 30 minute break during a shift that was 5 hours long. Managers seem to be able to take their breaks and stuff whenever without any problems though. Go figure.
    -I and a few other people were given "specialist" jobs after being there for a while. It sounds all great and special until you realize that it's extra work at no extra pay. With mine, I would be working at home during my spare time when I wasn't on shift and I wouldn't get a raise or bonuses for this.
    -I had a second job and my manager was personally very non-understanding about hours. I was having difficulty juggling both jobs and I was being scheduled when I wasn't supposed to and I was yelled at at one point when my schedules clashed (when I was scheduled for an "on call" here that I wasn't even supposed to be scheduled for while I had an actual scheduled shift elsewhere), my manager yelled at me through the phone that she was "sick of working around other people's 2nd job work schedules. Basically, if you already have another job, I suggest you look elsewhere for a second job because when I had two jobs, it was hell here.
    -The disorganization here was kind of ridiculous at times. Associates will call out constantly whether they actually need the day off or not (I recall one calling out just because it was her birthday and another because of homework) and then before you know it, if you have an on call, you will be called in or if no one is scheduled for an on call, you may be called and a manager will beg you to come in anyway despite the fact that you didn't plan for it at all. It was also difficult to find a covering shift yourself because other associates would rarely ever want to cover your shift and if you didn't have an on call and you were so sick that you could barely stand, good luck because they will make you go in anyway.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Aéropostale part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a 30% discount and a 50% once every month which is totally amazing! And they have great fashion styles!

Cons

Sucks how you HAD to wear their clothes only! And the people there are such sucky co-workers especially the manager. They favor people and only gave hours to the ones they favor. I quitted cause I didn't even get a single hour for 4 months straight but was on-call which sucks.

A great learning experience. You certainly WORK HARD and pay is not the best.

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has the ability to make you feel like what you are doing is extremely important. You take a lot of pride in your store and team. I had the privelage to grow my team and developed a very strong management and selling team. My team and management skills were my biggest take aways from the company. I met great people, that worked very hard. This resonated from management all the way down to a part time sales associate.

Cons

No work life balance.You work extremely long hours and are given no payroll to execute all the work they expect in regards to floor sets, window change, marketing change, and day to day inventory replenishment. No hours often meant stressing about LP. Often times you can't even afford a stock associate which is desperately needed. This means the store manager that is the only salary manager puts in more time to complete the listed above to save on payroll. I worked on average 60-70 hours a week and thought that was normal for a salary manager. You receive time off, but there are so many BLACK OUT dates you can't take time off when you might like, ie. the weeks leading up to spring break, summer break, back to school, and holidays. You will work them all. Its the job.

Put yourself in your Store Managers shoes and their team. Your DM and RM call you a super star and praise you for your work. Which in turn means more work. You are their star! They need you to do store openings, training in other stores, clean up for corporate visits, with no consideration to your time off, nor your teams time off, nor the work load you have going on in your own store. You drop what your doing, change everyones schedule, revoke your days off, and do as they ask. This can create negative anomosity toward them. I even missed a family funeral, because it happened when a floor set was coming up. There isn't a lot of real compassion from upper management. They say they care, but only when you are doing exactly what they need and want.

A once great company, gone bad

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Once was a company focused on the customers as well as the employees. The original group when a private company were amazing. The passion for the company and its employees was one of a kind.

Cons

Loss of classic, conservative look for teens was a downfall. High turn over due to poor choices in hiring. Loss of caring about employees and any kind of quality of life. Low pay.

Company values were discussed, however not supported. Greed and decete are not qualities most people are looking for in a work place.

Toooo LONG!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

years ago I could have listed a few..

Cons

Everything and more. Work too much pay to little.

Start hiring new upper. Thank God tom Johnson is finally gone. He lacked leadership when the tunnel went dark. DMs are a joke!

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!