Aéropostale Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014

Aéropostale CEO Thomas P. Johnson
Thomas P. Johnson

Pros
  • The only thing good about working here is the employee discount (in 41 reviews)

• Aero also gives employees a great discount (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management did not provide a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I've worked with several girls who have been in Sales for YEARS and still get paid minimum wage (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Alright

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Capitola, CA

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The close knit team. even though we couldn't work together to often unless it was holidays.

Cons

no hours. no benefits, no full time offered. no room to advance in store really or past the store

Bring back the old manager!

sweatshop

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros: Was my first job, I got to be a sales associate and it was okay for my age to start getting experience

Cons

Only allowed 10 minutes break.
    They didn't even have time to go to the restroom or lunch sometimes because they wanted me on the floor CONSTANTLY talking to customers even though they had already been attended.
    Staff could not see you not talking to customers even for a few seconds because they would assume you weren't doing anything.
    Management would treat the associates w/o respect and would expect nothing but perfection, which is understandable, but if a pile wasn't folded correctly a manager would or another employee would be very rude about it and would throw the pile right on to the floor for us to start again.

Staff needs to be more understanding and friendly.
    Everyone needs to be more clear at what times they can have breaks or lunch. I felt very unappreciated my whole time there so I didn't stay very long.

Sales Lead

Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay. Fun environment. Good management if you are blessed with one-if not than good luck

Cons

A lot of folding, Customers can be nasty

Too slow to change. Keep talking about it but not really doing anything about it.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My DM is really flexible and understanding which is the only reason I have stayed as long as I have.

You do not have to have a degree to be a Manager. They also hire outside of the company so you can recruit for the best possible candidate.

Aero seems to attract genuinely kind people.

Cons

Payroll hours. Most of the time Managers are on the sales floor alone for hours without bathroom breaks or being able to check for sizes.

Setting promotions is so inefficient. There has got to be a better way to organize it! It is ridiculous having several different price marks at one presentation. Often are given promotions to which we have no signage for. Too many promotional offers. Makes it so confusing for customers so employees are constantly explaining what the price of things are.

Communication from corporate is often confusing. One email will say one thing and another will direct us to do the opposite. Total lack of communication at corporate makes it difficult to know what to do on the store level.

Too slow to change. This is why they are failing in fashion. They keep talking about how much they are changing but the changes are so small you can barely tell. This is the same with policies. It's difficult to tell customers about our new return policy of not accepting returns or exchanges without a receipt, when the policy isn't set in stone. The company tells us to go ahead and make exceptions for some people but then you end up doing it for most people because it's a gray area.

We get the blame for low sales when it really correlates with low traffic. Senior Management is out of touch with what actually happens in stores. Interestingly enough, Tom Johnson was rated the worst CEO ever, yet so many people at Aero worship him! He might have been a really great motivational speaker but he was a poor CEO and somehow the people on the front lines have gotten all the pressure and blame for low sales.

Shipment. We get replenishment to fill our sales floor yet it is a consistent issue within all stores that we never receive the actual merch or sizes needed. It is a completely disorganized, senseless process. I can't believe that this is even an issue. We never seem to have the sizes customers need.

Aero talks alottttt about caring about their employees but it's difficult to really see that on a day to day basis. In my experience it has just been all talk. Only the people who drank the koolaid seem to believe the company actually cares about anything other than money.

Typical retail gripes- working weekends gets so old and makes it harder to stay encouraged. Depending on the mall you work at, the customers can be very unpleasant and after plastering a smile on your face day after day, it can become difficult to stay positive. Telling us to hire high school aged kids as associates and then expecting little turnover and amazing sales is absolutely ridiculous. It gets old to have to teach teenagers how to be responsible adults and actually show up for their shifts.

Put some time into working in your stores to get the real experience of what happens day to day. This will give you more insight of where you should be allocating your energy.

Good place to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

Easy to advance within company. Competitive pay. Family like environment. Paid vacations and personal days. Great benefits. Awesome employee discount.

Cons

No work/life balance. Work on weekends and holidays. No overtime pay, only half time over 40 hours. No holiday pay for management.

Decent pay, expensive benefits, desperate company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Howell, MI

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits. Good discount

Cons

However the benefits are expensive. The company is struggling to stay afloat among h&m and forever 21; new selling style and associate goals are counter productive and have caused friction among a former warm environment. District managers don't listen to your ideas or work on your development. We are pressured to find good associates but only pay minimum wage, when the rest of the mall pays more.

Stop blaming people at the bottom for your failed efforts, especially if you are only willing to pay them minimum wage.

Met some great people but the job became very draining and didn't like some of the new management choices.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with hours and days off. A lot of friendly coworkers. Lower-level managers were very cool and nice.

Cons

Higher-level managers weren't well picked. Pay wasn't good, and very stingy with raises even if recognized as a important asset to the team. Closing shifts were very long, running through to morning hours a lot of the time.

A lot of your lower management team should be above those at the top. Also, many of the sales associates have other more important obligations such as school that management seemed to realize or be understanding about.

My life revolves around Aero now.

Current Employee - Style Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Style Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and friendly coworkers

Cons

No raises, more work, doesn't try to help you grow in pay.

Fun, energetic and great learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, flexible hours, if your an Aero ambassador you get 40% off in addition to whatever sales are going on (30% if not)

Cons

There's no balance between upper management and newer employees.

Management was really good at the store I worked at.

Not exactly what I expected working here would be

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

They give decent employee discounts, and their clothes are cute, but working there really just wasn't worth if.

Cons

Very few hours per week, extremely rude management (I even had friends who were customers that complained about the rudeness of the managers when they went in as shoppers), the back room is completely hectic and unorganized, and insufficient training for new employees

Aéropostale Photos