A.C. Moore Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.6

Pepe Piperno

Pros
  • The decent employee discount and all the great craft ideas you can think up (in 14 reviews)

• Working with upbeat people and always willing to help (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • bad District managers; extremely low pay (in 11 reviews)

• The hours, like most in retail management, are NOT conducive to a good work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Pay is crap but a very positive work environment.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees. The people I work with for the most part are kind, compassionate and like to help people. There are the very, very few employees that give the very minimum (brash and very curt to employees and customers) but for the most part; good people. If you ask they will train you in any department. Flexible schedules are a plus for people with families. The job gives you a positive vibe. Not many jobs really encourage you to talk to customers, get to know them and their needs. It is why A.C. Moore will have repeat customers for years to come. True, the new employee training is kind of "Bam, off you go, on your own" but the staff is supportive so I never felt I could not ask questions.

Cons

The pay. I have worked many retail positions in my life and this is by far the lowest I have ever been paid; above and below the table. If it was not for the fact that I love working here I would leave (but still shop at A.C. Moore). There is a lack of full time positions in my store (and what I suppose is full time hourly wages). Management assumes you will work what ever schedule they can pluck out of the air. Flexible, yes but don't count on anything consistent. As a rule you have to plan out your home schedule months and months in advance and ask for days off when you can because you can't really schedule your life around your work schedule. Our GM is hard working but as an employee I feel like he spends all his time at the store. I have never seen the GM have a day off.

Regardless if it's the flagship store, the new store, the one in the big city or small; the pay rate has to change. I know there is that nationwide pay increase coming but some of us (current and prospective employees) would like to see some change while we can still afford the fuel to get to work. At least a cost of living increase or competitive pay rates would be a positive change. A.C. Moore should also do more to advertise. The "competitors" have commercials (yes I know, somewhere there is a commercial for A.C. Moore; god knows if any of us has seen it), radio advertisements and a bigger Youtube presence. YES, A.C. Moore is kind of an East Coast thing and I am glad because we watch out for the customers (and actually hire enough people so you can find an employee in the store). We (A.C. Moore) could do so much more to get our name out there. When Pepe put up his money for A.C. Moore he must have known he could make a good thing better and from what I have seen, since I have gone to A.C. Moore for many years; he has. From the lowly associate view more can be fixed but I still work here for a very good reason.

Love A.C. Moore

Current Employee - Sales-Stocking, Cashier, Customer Service in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales-Stocking, Cashier, Customer Service in Richmond, VA

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you love arts and crafts, its a great place to work. Fun environment,helpful management. Time off and scheduling is flexible if you aren't in a holiday black out period. Management quick to promote good employees with good attitude and work ethic . The 20% discount helps if you love arts/crafting or have children with school projects.

Cons

Other employees constantly calling out and making everyone's job harder. Training leaves a little to be desired. Lack of communication between management, example: having 3 managers, each assign you an intensive task and having all of them ask you why you aren't done yet, while also running the register, assisting customers and putting away returned/damaged/misplaced items and possibly assisting the custom floral department.

Our upper management is awesome. I've never worked for a company whose management is so fair, thankful and understanding and polite.

Liars

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Shrewsbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Shrewsbury, NJ

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We got free food on holidays if we were working at the right hours.

Cons

Managers tell you that your position is permanent until after the holidays then tell you you're fired,checks were never on time,the amount was always wrong. Never got off when you're supposed to. Forced to do others work. Lots of gossip among the managers

Get your act togethe,tell it like it is,compliment your employees when deserved.

Good @ Bad

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The CEO understands people & commitment. He appreciates the effort given by both managers and hourly associates..

Cons

Seasonal work week starts the first week in October with a mandatory 60 hour week. Not fair to family or career. If it wasn't mandatory we would probably want to do it anyway. Remember the impact of Morale on the store's performance.

Don't let LP policies become so overbearing that they become the #1 priority. (Customers - Sales)

Was a great Company to work for before they became publicly traded

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager, New Store/Remodel Team Lead in Berlin, NJ

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair Pay, good store level working atmosphere.

Cons

When it became a public company it they became top heavy with high paid executives which resulted in middle level management and stores becoming the secondary focus in running the company. It may be better since the ownership of the company is private again under Pepe Pireno, the owner of SBARS.

I was ultimately a team leader on the new store and remodel team (Mgr. Sue Pride), and worked a short time as a store planning supervisor. The entire section was fired in a reduction in force to make funds available to enlarge an already overweight executive level team. An entire group of committed, loyal and energetic people were let go with no attempt to transition anyone to other opportunities in operations or store level positions.

It's alright

Former Employee - Cashier in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A little over standard wage

Cons

Low hours bad management

Hire worthy managers

Associate

I worked at A.C. Moore

Pros

The discount is really great and the other associates were really nice. Most of the people that worked there were really passionate about crafts and genuinely enjoyed helping the customers.

Cons

There is absolutely no employee training. My first day they had me stand next to another cashier to watch her use the cash register. She was very nice but since she was standing in front of the register, I couldn't see what buttons she was pressing. It wasn't her job to train the new employees so she just rang up customers and went about her job as usual. They put me on my own register and I had to figure out how to work it on my own.

One of the managers handed me an inventory gun and told me to organize the scrapbook aisle without telling me how to use the gun. I pressed random buttons trying to figure it out but I either wasn't using it right or it just wasn't helpful. The managers were all very nice people but weren't paid enough to care about their jobs.

Add a uniform employee training program.

Fun job, great people, bad pay.

Current Employee - Floral Designer in Plainville, CT
    Current Employee - Floral Designer in Plainville, CT

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have a friendly staff to work with, at times you will get the opportunity to do arts and crafts if it is something you are interested in but you do not need to know how to do arts and crafts to work there. As for this position you will do arts and crafts and floral arrangements a lot and will most likely be the only one that knows how to do them. It is very easy to grow within the company if you are passionate.

Cons

The pay is very, very low. Minimum wage is not OK for all the responsibility you will have.

Management is great but they need to communicate more with each employee individually and not as a general group to enhance the customer experience.

It was a good learning experience in retail.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Manalapan, NJ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Manalapan, NJ

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many of the customers were enjoyable to work with and the personal dress code was relaxed as long as we had on our uniforms. For instance, we could have unnatural colored hair.

Cons

There will always be irate customers unfortunately. I also felt like sometimes we were unorganized when it came to scheduling employee hours.

Soul Sucking Job

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can make some good friends, meet great customers, and occasionally have fun. Full-time employees get time and a half if they have to work on a holiday. The last two years, we have been given a bonus at Christmas.

Cons

Where to start? Raises are essentially non-existent. You're lucky if you get 10 cents a year increase. Hours are cut at store levels, yet they can afford to create new positions. Having hours cut means that there aren't many people available to run a register, which is a good way to make our customers upset. Our store manager will not get on a register either, so that's out of the question. He also refuses to learn cash office operations, so that can be frustrating when vacations roll around.

There is very little training, as it's basically a sink or swim environment. Having a background in arts and crafts is helpful when talking to customers, but don't expect to express your creativity very often at work. Our particular store manager only seems to hire 20 something year old women. We've expressed the need to have another male for heavier lifting, working truck, etc., but he just won't do it.

We recently lost a fantastic AGM because the hours they expect from management is just too much. There is no work/life balance for management. There are so many expectations from the hourly employees, but completely unrealistic to assume that these tasks will get done in the time given to us.

It's really hard to care about your job when it feels like corporate doesn't care about you.

Put more money into the stores. Stop creating more positions. Focus more on your hourly employees versus hiring more managers. Too many people telling you what to do becomes a jumbled mess. Stop buying cheap merchandise. It may be good price points for the customers, but they're essentially buying junk.