A.C. Moore Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.4

Pepe Piperno

Pros
  • The decent employee discount and all the great craft ideas you can think up (in 14 reviews)

• Working with upbeat people and always willing to help (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • bad District managers; extremely low pay (in 11 reviews)

• The hours, like most in retail management, are NOT conducive to a good work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a good learning experience in retail.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Manalapan, NJ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Manalapan, NJ

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for less than a year

Pros

Many of the customers were enjoyable to work with and the personal dress code was relaxed as long as we had on our uniforms. For instance, we could have unnatural colored hair.

Cons

There will always be irate customers unfortunately. I also felt like sometimes we were unorganized when it came to scheduling employee hours.

Fun job, great people, bad pay.

Current Employee - Floral Designer  in  Plainville, CT
    Current Employee - Floral Designer in Plainville, CT

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have a friendly staff to work with, at times you will get the opportunity to do arts and crafts if it is something you are interested in but you do not need to know how to do arts and crafts to work there. As for this position you will do arts and crafts and floral arrangements a lot and will most likely be the only one that knows how to do them. It is very easy to grow within the company if you are passionate.

Cons

The pay is very, very low. Minimum wage is not OK for all the responsibility you will have.

Management is great but they need to communicate more with each employee individually and not as a general group to enhance the customer experience.

Soul Sucking Job

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can make some good friends, meet great customers, and occasionally have fun. Full-time employees get time and a half if they have to work on a holiday. The last two years, we have been given a bonus at Christmas.

Cons

Where to start? Raises are essentially non-existent. You're lucky if you get 10 cents a year increase. Hours are cut at store levels, yet they can afford to create new positions. Having hours cut means that there aren't many people available to run a register, which is a good way to make our customers upset. Our store manager will not get on a register either, so that's out of the question. He also refuses to learn cash office operations, so that can be frustrating when vacations roll around.

There is very little training, as it's basically a sink or swim environment. Having a background in arts and crafts is helpful when talking to customers, but don't expect to express your creativity very often at work. Our particular store manager only seems to hire 20 something year old women. We've expressed the need to have another male for heavier lifting, working truck, etc., but he just won't do it.

We recently lost a fantastic AGM because the hours they expect from management is just too much. There is no work/life balance for management. There are so many expectations from the hourly employees, but completely unrealistic to assume that these tasks will get done in the time given to us.

It's really hard to care about your job when it feels like corporate doesn't care about you.

Put more money into the stores. Stop creating more positions. Focus more on your hourly employees versus hiring more managers. Too many people telling you what to do becomes a jumbled mess. Stop buying cheap merchandise. It may be good price points for the customers, but they're essentially buying junk.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great for crafters

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people and good discounts

Cons

long hours, not so great management

Fun environment, challenging duties

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Scranton, PA

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for less than a year

Pros

creative ideas, honest, courteous, personable management

Cons

detailed stock was difficult to learn, often understaffed

have new employees shadow an experienced one on the floor before sending them out on their own. this might help the new employee to learn the inventory better and more thoroughly

Fun place to work

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time

Pros

You get to play with craft supplies all day.

Cons

Cashiers are asked to work the floor as well as the register when things get busy.

Started out good but........

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager  in  Saratoga Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Saratoga Springs, NY

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, loyal customers, small store footage

Cons

Behind the times, they should reclassify their AGMs because all they do is move freight and set planograms, there is not much "managing" unless something goes wrong, then its your fault. Worked with a GM who worked 4-5 hours a day, not many evenings, did not learn the new register system. Hypocritical atmosphere to say the least. If you like being belittled, and being told you are stupid, then work there, otherwise it was not worth the time and effort to do a good job for this company.

Listen to your mods and agms, dont let the GM sit in the stores too long, they get complacent and stagnant.

A get by Job

Former Employee - Logistics Supervisor  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Logistics Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job to do if you have any experience in the industry.

Cons

Everything from training, people (not all but a good majority), culture, to leadership.

Better training for managers as it pertains to leadership, leadership development and policy compliance. Also better hiring process.

Management lacked control over some employees.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hickory, NC

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was great working with the created minded customers. I held a position which allowed me to switch tasks often and I stayed busy which I enjoy as well.

Cons

The manager favored certain employees which were very unprofessional and should not have been shift leaders. One in particular took many cigarette breaks and I never seen her on the floor. She literally had management wrapped around her little finger.

Consider being less parental towards employees. Use facts and logic when dealing with professional issues and not personal opinions.

Good for retail

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co workers are nice and helpful.

Cons

Unless you are a full timer, you may not see many hours.

Worked for A.C. Moore? Contribute to the Community!