A.C. Moore

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.4

Pepe Piperno

Pros
  • Employee discount, fellow Level 1 and 2 employees are genuinely kind (in 15 reviews)

• Working with upbeat people and always willing to help (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay but I understand the stores bottom line is to provide value to the customer (in 11 reviews)

• The hours, like most in retail management, are NOT conducive to a good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Pay is crap but a very positive work environment.

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees. The people I work with for the most part are kind, compassionate and like to help people. There are the very, very few employees that give the very minimum (brash and very curt to employees and customers) but for the most part; good people. If you ask they will train you in any department. Flexible schedules are a plus for people with families. The job gives you a positive vibe. Not many jobs really encourage you to talk to customers, get to know them and their needs. It is why A.C. Moore will have repeat customers for years to come. True, the new employee training is kind of "Bam, off you go, on your own" but the staff is supportive so I never felt I could not ask questions.

Cons

The pay. I have worked many retail positions in my life and this is by far the lowest I have ever been paid; above and below the table. If it was not for the fact that I love working here I would leave (but still shop at A.C. Moore). There is a lack of full time positions in my store (and what I suppose is full time hourly wages). Management assumes you will work what ever schedule they can pluck out of the air. Flexible, yes but don't count on anything consistent. As a rule you have to plan out your home schedule months and months in advance and ask for days off when you can because you can't really schedule your life around your work schedule. Our GM is hard working but as an employee I feel like he spends all his time at the store. I have never seen the GM have a day off.

Regardless if it's the flagship store, the new store, the one in the big city or small; the pay rate has to change. I know there is that nationwide pay increase coming but some of us (current and prospective employees) would like to see some change while we can still afford the fuel to get to work. At least a cost of living increase or competitive pay rates would be a positive change. A.C. Moore should also do more to advertise. The "competitors" have commercials (yes I know, somewhere there is a commercial for A.C. Moore; god knows if any of us has seen it), radio advertisements and a bigger Youtube presence. YES, A.C. Moore is kind of an East Coast thing and I am glad because we watch out for the customers (and actually hire enough people so you can find an employee in the store). We (A.C. Moore) could do so much more to get our name out there. When Pepe put up his money for A.C. Moore he must have known he could make a good thing better and from what I have seen, since I have gone to A.C. Moore for many years; he has. From the lowly associate view more can be fixed but I still work here for a very good reason.

Bad management

Former Employee - Freight/Cashier in Matthews, NC
    Former Employee - Freight/Cashier in Matthews, NC

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customers are nice. Good employee discount.

Cons

Management (at least where I worked #122) they talk about associates behind there backs and stare at you if you overheard anything.They simply dont care about there jobs unless a DM or someone big is coming in, thats when they become robots and start kissing butt. If you dont know what your doing then your pretty much on your own because they get mad or ignore you if you try to ask them for help, only few associates actually care and are willing to help. If they suspect something they'll come up to you or hide around a corner and act like they're busy and watch you at whatever your doing. They wont really tell if you made a mistake or not they just stare you down and laugh and talk behind your back. If you call out its the worst thing you can do, it will just make everything worst but then again its nobodys fault if they get sick.

Be fair. Treat your employees right. You wouldnt like to be treated the way you treat us. Be more understandable and caring.

All around negative.

Current Employee - Cashier in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Woburn, MA

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is simple. My shifts are short.

Cons

Rude customers. Unprofessional management. Poor employee scheduling.

Don't lie to your employees and promise them job titles and responsibilities that you can't give them.

Associate

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can be a fun enviorment.

Cons

Rude employer, rude Co workers, not paid enough, asked more from than other employees with the same job. By far more cons than pros.

Stopping by ever so often just to see if stocking is correct, doesnt help the productivity of the workers. Because in fact, 1 person out of every 15 is the one making that effort and not being recognized for it.

It's alright

Former Employee - Cashier in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A little over standard wage

Cons

Low hours bad management

Hire worthy managers

Love A.C. Moore

Current Employee - Sales-Stocking, Cashier, Customer Service in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales-Stocking, Cashier, Customer Service in Richmond, VA

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you love arts and crafts, its a great place to work. Fun environment,helpful management. Time off and scheduling is flexible if you aren't in a holiday black out period. Management quick to promote good employees with good attitude and work ethic . The 20% discount helps if you love arts/crafting or have children with school projects.

Cons

Other employees constantly calling out and making everyone's job harder. Training leaves a little to be desired. Lack of communication between management, example: having 3 managers, each assign you an intensive task and having all of them ask you why you aren't done yet, while also running the register, assisting customers and putting away returned/damaged/misplaced items and possibly assisting the custom floral department.

Our upper management is awesome. I've never worked for a company whose management is so fair, thankful and understanding and polite.

Liars

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Shrewsbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Shrewsbury, NJ

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We got free food on holidays if we were working at the right hours.

Cons

Managers tell you that your position is permanent until after the holidays then tell you you're fired,checks were never on time,the amount was always wrong. Never got off when you're supposed to. Forced to do others work. Lots of gossip among the managers

Get your act togethe,tell it like it is,compliment your employees when deserved.

Good @ Bad

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The CEO understands people & commitment. He appreciates the effort given by both managers and hourly associates..

Cons

Seasonal work week starts the first week in October with a mandatory 60 hour week. Not fair to family or career. If it wasn't mandatory we would probably want to do it anyway. Remember the impact of Morale on the store's performance.

Don't let LP policies become so overbearing that they become the #1 priority. (Customers - Sales)

Was a great Company to work for before they became publicly traded

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager, New Store/Remodel Team Lead in Berlin, NJ

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair Pay, good store level working atmosphere.

Cons

When it became a public company it they became top heavy with high paid executives which resulted in middle level management and stores becoming the secondary focus in running the company. It may be better since the ownership of the company is private again under Pepe Pireno, the owner of SBARS.

I was ultimately a team leader on the new store and remodel team (Mgr. Sue Pride), and worked a short time as a store planning supervisor. The entire section was fired in a reduction in force to make funds available to enlarge an already overweight executive level team. An entire group of committed, loyal and energetic people were let go with no attempt to transition anyone to other opportunities in operations or store level positions.

Literally have no idea how that store is still open

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount, fellow Level 1 and 2 employees are genuinely kind

Cons

Everything else.
    Management is a total joke. Pay is horrendous for the amount of work that is expected. Hours are absolutely astounding, and NEVER follow an employee's availability. Multiple employees a week would have to correct and exchange hours due to the manager's lack of attention to our work/life balance needs, and we were often "punished" for asking for less hours by given around 8 hours for the weeks following asking management to correct a schedule or lighten up on hours. I was often asked for "make up for" not being able to work a shift I had already said I could not work, and expected to pull even more hours as if this lapse in scheduling continuity were my fault. Every single thing about this store is disorganized and seeped in nepotism. The only one lower manager who worked hard enough to keep the store afloat was overworked and never given promotions due to the sucking-up that was done by their less-qualified competitors. The GM is the worst I have ever had. In case of illness, employees are punished for calling out by passive aggressive comments, and often not permitted to leave upon getting sick on the job. In the time I worked there, I saw more than half of my fellow employees in tears due to the way the Manager spoke to them, who himself is the most unorganized, unprofessional person I have ever worked for. He acts like a child, avoiding responsibilities he would rather not deal with and yelling at his employees for not being able to keep up with an understaffed and horrifically unorganized store. He acts like he has a clear idea of what he wants to happen in his store, but neglects to convey that idea until AFTER employees have struggled to do jobs he has left for them to do with the most vague instructions. Several times a shift, employees were made to feel like a complete idiot due to the way he spoke down to them. On this note, training can hardly be considered training, after several months there were still multiple things I and my fellow employees had never been taught, particularly in equipment use, and yet were yelled at by our managers for not knowing how to do them off the bat. We were expected not to spend too much time with customers, even when asked for help, and were repeatedly scolded for doing what was in our job description. Assistant manager and General Manager both yelled and cursed at and belittled employees, often in front of customers. General Manager was often openly rude to customers themselves and would walk away from them after giving rude, curt answers, leaving employees to deal with the rightful anger of said customer. I was often mistreated by customers for mistakes that management made. After what can only be described as several months of emotional abuse at the hands of these managers, I quit in a wave of about 6 or 7 other employees -- who were never replaced, leaving the store even more understaffed than they already were. The District Manager talks private sales and boasts about his profit margin in a loud tone on the sales floor. Several customers complained to me about every manager I worked under, including DM.
    I highly do not recommend working for A.C. Moore, and I myself never want to work for this joke of a company again.

Get your act together and learn how to treat your employees BEFORE they leave.