A.C. Moore

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.3

Pepe Piperno

Pros
  • Employee discount, fellow Level 1 and 2 employees are genuinely kind (in 15 reviews)

• Working with upbeat people and always willing to help (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay but I understand the stores bottom line is to provide value to the customer (in 11 reviews)

• The hours, like most in retail management, are NOT conducive to a good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great price for the crafty person

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

Ac Moore is a great place to work if you're crafty like dealing with people and just have a general interest in creating new things

Cons

There is so much to do and not enough time. The pay is too low for the amount of responsibilities and duties. From managing the merchandise managing the associates taking care of customer complaints the pay is just way too low.

Stand behind your merchandising supervises address their complaints with associates. Be more forthcoming about changes coming to the store and to personnel. Empower your merchandising supervises so that they're able to do their job more effectively don't micromanage

Say goodbye to your personal life

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, competitive industry, fluid/changing environment

Cons

Working 70+ hours a week in non-peak time/senior management expecting you to work on days off

Listen to your store management teams- we know what our customers want and you should respect that instead of attempting to make every store exactly the same

Experience depends on location

I have been working at A.C. Moore (more than 5 years)

Pros

The craft atmosphere and learning new trends in the different departments. Making friends with fellow co workers.

Cons

The management first and foremost is the biggest con; corporates are not focused on the store employees dispite what they claim. And management at retail locations varies store to store. I worked at two different area stores and the difference was night and day. First store was great and the managers taught and inspired and gave us all opportunites to use our skills beyond the register.
    But the second location the manager never left the back office unless he was putting up stock or joking around with visiting corporates. Store meetings consisted of how poor the company was and holding the ceo on a pedestal and how much each department was making and they were never making enough money. Anything to the contrary was not welcome.
    Employee hours and pay were low and we felt like we were being treated like a liability. If a customer complained we were automatically wrong no matter the circumstance and he would try to indimidate you. The assistant manager worked the sales floor and handled some customer requests but wasnt any better at employee relations unless you had someting in common with her or became a buddy. In short assess how you want to be treated and ask yourself does the management at whatever location seem to value its employees?
    Second the junk they were moving in to sell instead of crafts. So many customers were asking for specialty scrapbooking or basic crafting supplies you would have thought you could find but half the merchandise was beanie babies and ear buds and cell phone covers and towels and unrelated stuff.
    Pay and hours were low and didnt always justify having to drive all the way to work and back for such a small paycheck. Most of the longtime employees were unhappy where I was and a few people left. They dont really welcome you back and say hello either unless you know a former co-worker.
    If you have a medical condition or a disablility there are usually no consessions and unless you have a good office manager who will listen to you they will schedule you without keeping a disability in mind. There was no family leave even for longtime employees.

Have some respect for your employees and talk to them and get to know them and respect that they have lives beyond the store. Give eployees opportunies beyond the register or the sales floor. Dont let just one person handle the craft fairs or hold classes give them opportunities and raise hourly pay.

Badly run business

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discount and co-workers fighting the same negatives.

Cons

Not enough labor dollars to complete tasks. Not enough employees available to assist customers on sales floor.

Just to learn to appreciate employees more and give them the support to succeed.

Eh

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

slow paced (not a lot of customers)
    flexible hrs
    occasionally a lady comes and makes cake...

Cons

lowest min wage especially for the work mgmt makes you do
    power hungry manager
    favoritism
    can be hard to grow in the company

Everything else you've read is right. Don't do it.

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

you get paid.
    Employee discount slightly better than teacher or military discount.
    Good job for a student or homemaker that doesn't rely on this income.

Cons

No benefits other than what the law gives you such as disability. Rare full time opportunities.
     PT workers get no paid time off no additional pay for holidays worked (required). FT gets 6 paid holidays a year if they are days you normally work (like a Friday or a Tuesday) So if you work Thursdays you will get paid for Thanksgiving if you are full time.
    There is no training except for register and that is just basic. If you had proper retail training somewhere else before you got there you'll probably be alright.

You can advance if you let them know you are interested. However management does have to go help at other locations if they are short like for inventory or remodel or to cover vacations so you may spend quite a bit of time going to other stores that aren't your home store.
    You are supposed to get breaks according to the handbook but aside from meal break which is off clock it is difficult to take breaks without hearing comments. You cannot take your break a certain about of time before or after your shift. like an hour before your shift ends you should have had your 15 minutes. Management watches your time because you must tell them when you go and they call you the MINUTE you are supposed to be back. Especially if you are a register. You have to do your best not to stop and talk to customers because they will just keep paging you. Also don't plan on shopping during that break because you have to wait in line behind lengthy refunds at the service register. Then you have to wait for a manager to sign off the purchase. This will take most of your break time. Better to shop after your shift is done.

Although some managers are okay overall the company is there to make money and not to make employees happy. They are not interested in a death in your family or a hardship in your life or any of your other problems. There is no company sponsored scholarships or day care contributions or company gym discounts or anything remotely like that. You work for them. They make money. You get your pay (no extras, no pay for experience.) The end nothing more.

You would have to clean house and start from scratch. Too many old habits with corporate and management to break.

don't work here! save yourself while you can!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CT

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time

Pros

employee discount is nice especially if you are a crafter like myself.

Cons

strict with employee discounts.
    poor management skills
    too much work for the pay you get
    unfair hours (i would be working 27 hours a week p/t while others had 15!)
    crazy customers
    late nights, early mornings
    you feel like a slave, not an employee

working here has completely made me hate this store. I used to be a very loyal shopper until one day I became employed by them. I was very poorly trained from the beginning and was given a heavy workload and a lot of hours. They really treat the employees like slaves.

Do yourself a favor, don't plan on sticking around.

Former Employee - Custom Framing Specialist in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Custom Framing Specialist in Burlington, VT

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many of my co-workers were nice people. Many of them genuinely cared about the products, and some even their duties. GM was very nice and made me feel like I worked for a small business, not a large corporation. My position in the framing department was at many times a pleasure - I enjoyed the work and most of the customers, and found the artistic requirements of the work rewarding in their way. An effort was always made to accommodate reasonable time off requests. In short, I loved my position, and am grateful for having had the opportunity to work in a specialized field that is otherwise difficult to enter.

Cons

In a little over a year with the company I witnessed a revolving door of both entry level employees and management. It took me sometime to realize the social environment was very "behind the back", definitely not a good place to speak your mind in confidence (if you have anything you would like to remain confidential). The business is absolutely part of a large corporation, and despite the GM's best intentions of creating a personable environment, petty corporate doctrine ruled. Most of my coworkers (minimum wage) were miserable, and I never would have lasted so long with the company in another position. Anyone promoted from within the company immediately began to abuse their seniority. I was called about work on my days off. I was expected to work on my lunch breaks. A week before Christmas, the day I was expecting my holiday bonus, I was fired by "corporate" for being late (just late). In the end I think I cared too much about an artistic position within a suffocating corporate retail environment.

It's ok. What can you do, right?

All around negative.

Current Employee - Cashier in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Woburn, MA

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work is simple. My shifts are short.

Cons

Rude customers. Unprofessional management. Poor employee scheduling.

Don't lie to your employees and promise them job titles and responsibilities that you can't give them.

Associate

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can be a fun enviorment.

Cons

Rude employer, rude Co workers, not paid enough, asked more from than other employees with the same job. By far more cons than pros.

Stopping by ever so often just to see if stocking is correct, doesnt help the productivity of the workers. Because in fact, 1 person out of every 15 is the one making that effort and not being recognized for it.