A.C. Moore Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.4

Pepe Piperno

Pros
  • The decent employee discount and all the great craft ideas you can think up (in 14 reviews)

• Working with upbeat people and always willing to help (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • bad District managers; extremely low pay (in 11 reviews)

• No one is trained properly, they are just used as glorified stock personnel (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

great for crafters

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people and good discounts

Cons

long hours, not so great management

Fun environment, challenging duties

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Scranton, PA

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for less than a year

Pros

creative ideas, honest, courteous, personable management

Cons

detailed stock was difficult to learn, often understaffed

have new employees shadow an experienced one on the floor before sending them out on their own. this might help the new employee to learn the inventory better and more thoroughly

Management lacked control over some employees.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hickory, NC

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was great working with the created minded customers. I held a position which allowed me to switch tasks often and I stayed busy which I enjoy as well.

Cons

The manager favored certain employees which were very unprofessional and should not have been shift leaders. One in particular took many cigarette breaks and I never seen her on the floor. She literally had management wrapped around her little finger.

Consider being less parental towards employees. Use facts and logic when dealing with professional issues and not personal opinions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A get by Job

Former Employee - Logistics Supervisor  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Logistics Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job to do if you have any experience in the industry.

Cons

Everything from training, people (not all but a good majority), culture, to leadership.

Better training for managers as it pertains to leadership, leadership development and policy compliance. Also better hiring process.

Good for retail

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co workers are nice and helpful.

Cons

Unless you are a full timer, you may not see many hours.

No future and it all depends on your GM

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only good thing I can say about this company is that they work their schedules well for students. Also good for older people who want something that gets them out of the house or a little extra spending money (many of my coworkers fell into this category). If you are lucky enough to work in a store where managers are active (engage customers, will run a register if you're swamped, will relieve the people at customer service and custom framing for breaks) you'll likely have an OK experience. Everyone's equally unhappy so you have people to vent to.

Cons

A.C. Moore is where dreams die. I worked there for about 4 years at 2 different stores while I was in school. Over that time I got a whole 50 cent increase. I've read other reviews where people say the starting pay is higher than normal - apparently I got ripped off because, as I found out after leaving I was the lowest paid person at my store. I never made it into a manegment position but after leaving I talked with my managers - after being there for almost 7 years my friend was making $10.50 an hour.

There is absoultly no respect for associates or even managers from higher up in the company. I will never forget my second store being visited by the company President and the 5 people directly below him. My coworkers and I were very excited, we thought they would come in and shake some hands, ask some questions. For the entire 6 hour visit these men didn't even make EYE CONTACT with anyone. One even told a customer to "Ask someone else, we're busy" when the guest came up to my GM who was giving them the tour. This company makes the little guys feel VERY small. It's a classic retail experience, execs who have never worked a day at a store make silly rules and regs that hinder the process of day to day operations but they, like the customer, are always right.

As I said in the pros if you have active managment like I did at my first store you'll be ok. If you get a store like my second store after I moved, good luck. The register system requires a managers code for a lot of things, trying to page someone is always hit or miss. It is very frustrating for both employees and the customers who get stuck in line while someone is waiting for authorization. Another moment I'll always rememeber is when we were dramatically understaffed (I think we were passing the flu around) I was the only cashier and my line was backing up. In the store was myself, our custom framer who was with a customer, our logistics manager who had just gone on break, and our GM. Our GM came to the front and asked why I hadn't called for back up (um duh). I told him he was the only other person who COULD get my line down. HE REFUSED, my customers, about 15 at this point, were disgusted. I learned later that the guy making the big bucks to boss me around NEVER BOTHERED TO LEARN THE CASH REGISTER because he thought that task was beneath him. No matter what department you worked in if he was the only person availble you weren't going on break. He also never learned how to run the frame shop.

As far as other customer interactions I don't see why people still shop at ACM. The POS system is incredibly flawed. The system went down atleast once a week, the return process made no sense, and the IT Department is completely USELESS (if you could get through, you can only be on hold for so long while your customer stands there fuming). I guess people keep coming back because ACM is a "customer is ALWAYSSSSS right" business. I can not count the number of times that I was in the right and a member of mangment would come in behind me and side with the customer. (for some things I can understand, but A LOT of it was the lovely customer trying to rip us off, ridiculos discounts, huge markdowns, fake coupons, etc)

The employee "discount" is horrible, and went down 10% while I was there.
    No work/life balance (if they try to call you in and you can't or won't come they give you grief about for days after)
    Crappy merchandise, when it breaks or fails you're at the front line getting an ear full.
    I think that's everything, if you can avoid it save yourself the stress and work somewhere else :)

You need to see how things are working or not working at the store level, some choices the company made were VERY unpractical for actual retail!

Good place to work, but pay is not the greatest.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time for less than a year

Pros

20% discount on personal purchases; no long shifts; nice coworkers/supervisors/managers; good "first job" for young person or as a second job for others to earn extra cash.

Cons

pay is rather low especially for someone with YEARS of experience; the occasional unavoidable nasty customer (this comes with ANY job in retail);

Starting pay should be based on each individual employees previous experience. Future increases in pay and promotions should be based on employees current quality of work performance and ability.

challenging

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time

Pros

Working with upbeat people and always willing to help!

Cons

Organization of stockroom could be better, knowing when shipments could be available.

Not worth the 4+ years I spent there

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The ability to be creative day in and day out.

Cons

Over five years, I received a 20 cent raise. Sometimes it seems like corporate doesn't care about employees. Little to no room for advancement. If I did want to be promoted to an MOD I would have had to take a pay cut and work longer hours.

Rework raises and promotion schedules.

Great company, with a few wrinkles to iron out.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked with merchandise I love, formed many lifelong friendships and mentorships, and learned more about business than I did in college. The company cares about customer service. Pay for an AGM is good compared to other retail brands, and the benefits were good. I got to travel infrequently, and that was a fun perk of the job.

Cons

The hours, like most in retail management, are NOT conducive to a good work-life balance. 70 and 80 hour weeks, with no over time, got old really quickly. It isn't long before you realize you're working for less than six dollars an hour, and that can be demoralizing. Middle management doesn't have a consistent culture across the board, which leads to store leaders who are grossly different in competence and alignment with AC Moore values.

Spend more time on training. 98% of training is done "on the job". Also, be more careful evaluating candidates for management positions. Too many times, I saw the wrong person thrown into a position because someone was desperate to get the position filled. That only ever ends badly.

Worked for A.C. Moore? Contribute to the Community!