A.C. Moore Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
150 reviews filtered by
2.4
Pepe Piperno

Pros
  • Employee discount, fellow Level 1 and 2 employees are genuinely kind (in 15 reviews)

• Working with upbeat people and always willing to help (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay but I understand the stores bottom line is to provide value to the customer (in 11 reviews)

• The hours, like most in retail management, are NOT conducive to a good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waldorf, MD

I worked at A.C. Moore

Pros

Laid back
    Fast paced
    Very friendly coworkers and customers

Cons

Sometimes sales coupons are unclear leading to customer disputes.

2. It was simple, honestly I got the job through a friend.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at A.C. Moore

Pros

The company is very lax, but it seems to be very cliquey. At least at the one I worked at.

Cons

There is nothing to do at times and you are just walking around the store reorganizing things you already organized.

3. Worked at Ac Moore as a Merch Supervisor aka MOD

Current Employee - Merchandising Supervisor in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Supervisor in Allentown, PA

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

Great environment! Great people! AWESOME BENEFITS! SAFE AND A GOOD JOB! KEEP

Cons

Very Corporate but it teaches you how to have responsibility and how to follow rules. Belive it or not its better to be somewhere were they are very corpoate then a place that has nothing together

Honestly the management was great! I really have nothing to say about them no manager is perfect. They all had there stuff together and knew what was going on .

5. A pleasant environment to work in.

Former Employee - Classroom Coordinator
    Former Employee - Classroom Coordinator

I worked at A.C. Moore

Pros

Enjoyed working with my co-workers and running the store classroom. My kid customers where
    so much fun to be around and I enjoyed teaching them arts and crafts projects.

Cons

Too little working hours and no paid benefits.

Need to give employees paid benefits and more working hours.

6. "Best Job I ever had" NOT!

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

Its' a job and I get paid. I am an artist and I enjoy the discount. I also like helping customers with their needs.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, Arrogant, condescending Store Manager. Shifting schedule and NO RAISE. Dealing with lazy coworker doesn't do the things he trained me to do.

Respect the hourly employees, they make you look good. Give your people raises Allow employees to use their artistic talents as part of their job. And don't discontinue things that people need.

Employees are not their priority!

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

Discount, good place for a crafty employee especially those willing to interact with customers

Cons

Schedule changes without notice, option to leave if not able or willing to work new schedule. POOR WAGES, District Managers rule by intimidation, badgering, and foul language, no praise for jobs well done. Hoping employees can become a priority in a company that can have potential as a good employer.

Sensitivity and consideration for employees, setting realistic goals for team leaders, Learn to balance criticism with praise.

8. Manager

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great relationships with upper level management (DM, RVP). Open communication. Owner is impossible not to love. Excellent compensation.

Cons

No end to tasks that need to be completed-ever. Typical workweeks require 6 days to obtain the level of excellence expected by the company.

I had a great run with the company and left only to pursue self employment. Work-life balance is terrible, but it is openly discussed upon hiring.

9. I like the store. This is my first paid job. I'm a crafty person.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

Positive environment. Most of my coworkers and managers are respectful people. It's usually nice and quiet if you like that and it doesn't bother you.

Cons

No cons. Maybe just a lot of work. The store that I work at in specific is pretty good. I don't have much bad things to say.

I don't have any advice to give to management. How am I supposed to meet this twenty word minimum

10. No communication

Current Employee - Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Associate in Concord, NC

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

You get to know everybody working very quickly and are able to make friends, staff is friendly

Cons

No communication between management, poor control over everything that goes on. Schedules are never the same and you never know what is going to happen.

11. This is not a company for long-term career goals.

Former Employee - Custom Framing Specialist in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Custom Framing Specialist in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A.C. Moore has the potential to offer flexible hours for part-time employment, but only a slim potential and not to be relied on as a certainty.

Cons

This privately-run company provides little to no opportunity for advancement or serious career paths. They present positions with the minimum required salaries and hourly rates, per state laws. Raises in rates are offered annually only, and these are based on performance reviews with unrealistic expectations for a retail company that is operated as a private establishment; though it has created enough Standard Operating Procedures to fill an abridged dictionary. The overall sense of operation by lower and upper management is one of a military-style regiment with rigid structures that are designed more conservatively than is necessary, and has the tendency to restrict an employee's ability to provide consumers with a plausible level of service -- thus limiting revenue and earnings potential, despite their claim to the contrary. No incentives are offered for service, nor are any incentives offered or awarded for outstanding service... Unless you are an individual whose lifestyle is entirely dependent on your name being written upon a chalk board for less than a week. In such a case, this is specifically the company that type of person should work for, because all of their needs are met. A.C. Moore expressly operates an under-staffed environment, thereby creating a stressful and often hostile work environment which also translates poorly to the clientele. In just February and March of 2015 alone, the store lost six employees due to hostile management tactics. Three of those employees were senior members of management.

In order to create a better, more believable profile, it is highly recommended to restructure the activities of this organization in a productive way. Learn to actively generate a positive environment that is inviting to employees and consumers alike, and treat your employees and lower management with respect and decency, and demonstrate genuine value for the hard work provided by them with positive feedback and follow it up with reinforcement -- less negativity and brutality. It is also recommended to take action to suppress rumoring and negative chatter amongst members of management, especially to lower employees. This type of behavior is unprofessional and unfitting a business environment, and should be regarded as bullying and undesirable behavior for management. Offer employees real incentives instead of proverbial pats-on-the-back. When an effort of improvement is made in these and other areas, this company may see a real profit generation that is worthy of a growing business, and could possibly put it in a favorable public standing someday.