A.C. Moore Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Pepe Piperno

Pros
  • Employee discount, fellow Level 1 and 2 employees are genuinely kind (in 15 reviews)

• Working with upbeat people and always willing to help (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • bad District managers; extremely low pay (in 11 reviews)

• There is no work/life balance for management (in 6 reviews)

1. cashier/stock clerk

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pompano Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pompano Beach, FL

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i love stocking new merchandise and setting planograms interacting with customers and my co workers

Cons

the only complaint is the pay

2. It's a Job

Current Employee - Store Associate in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Allentown, PA

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the Job, helping customers and Most of the other employees are great to work with.

Cons

Low on hours and the salary isn't what it should be.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them with more respect!

3. ok company

I have been working at A.C. Moore (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers, customers, hours, store setting

Cons

Pay , ability to advance

Great job minus pressure for sign ups.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in White Marsh, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in White Marsh, MD

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, always new stories and new craft ideas from customers. It really feels like a little family. We occasionally have little potlucks, and the GM will show his appreciation for us by getting us Chikfila or pizza, which is always nice. Everyone is very passionate about their crafting skills and are often very happy to talk about them and share ideas. The job is an easy one, it's always the same thing every day so it's easy to fall into a comfortable routine. Its the customers and coworkers that keep it interesting. Black Friday and the Christmas rush was a breeze. Pay is reasonable. It's extremely easy to get promoted to customer service or framing, which comes with a nice little raise. At my location, people tend to stay around once they get the hang of it. The majority of our employees at my location have been there anywhere between 5 and 26 years, most of them on the longer end of the spectrum. Never overwhelmed with a ton of new employees that aren't sure how things work (which was a HUGE problem at the Bel Air location). Senior staff is incredibly friendly and helpful.

Cons

They push "reward card" sign ups like crazy. There is a big angry sign in every employee-only area that says we need to get 36 (and it's always raising higher!!) sign ups every day per associate. This may not seem like a big deal for bigger stores but the tiny store I work at has more regulars than anything else who already have the card. And yet managers will stand over your shoulder and reprimand you for not signing people up, even if they are clearly not ever coming back (out of towners, teenagers buying candy for the movies next door, etc.) or already have a card. They are even worse about getting donations for charity. We are given personal warnings in our time card slots stating how many donations we need to get without getting written up daily. Also as a side note, they always seem to pick some unlucky person to work open to close every Sunday. Once you are unfortunate enough to be picked, it seems like they will never let you out of it. And because trucks come in on Monday, they tend to schedule you the next morning bright and early as well. It was so taxing I ended up having to change my availability because no form of asking seemed to get them to change anything.

Advice to Management

Reward sign ups are important but stop bullying us about it!

6. Merchandising supervisor aka 'MOD'

Current Employee - Merchandising Supervisor Aka'mod'
    Current Employee - Merchandising Supervisor Aka'mod'

Pros

You will learn so much in this job. It's like a real work education that you get paid for. If you are a hard worker and looking to build your business management skills then this is a great stepping stone for you.

Cons

Turn over is extremely high and the stores are under staffed so you will be asked to do one task while being pulled in five other directions. You must be able to learn things for yourself because everyone else is worked so hard that they seem to not have time to really train you.

Advice to Management

Constantly hire new associates to keep up with turn over.

7. Ok company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, NJ

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great arts and crafts classes, great instructors and a good discount at the custom frame shop

Cons

no flexible schedule, no great benefits,

8. Love it

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for this company. Been promoted through the ranks from hourly associate to AGM. They treat employees well and value hard workers.

Cons

Required to work a lot of hours as salary and when you work extra you don't get compensated for the extra time even if its 20 extra hours.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The stores look great and customers are satisfied.

9. It's basically retail.

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I got an okay number of hours. -Employee discount, I guess? I didn't really use it.

Cons

-It's dustier than the average retail job. Have tissues handy. -One of my managers kept telling me I shouldn't be working in retail. Weird.

Advice to Management

Understand that someone new to retail probably doesn't call them endcaps. It makes sense, but it felt weird for it to ask. Also, get someone to actually set up a system of tracking what's in the back room.

10. Review

Pros

build relationships with customers, can be creative, become knowledgable in many art areas, help people create projects, pretty relaxed environment

Cons

not great pay, work every weekend, can be repetitive, a lot of training and testing in certain departments, work most holidays

Advice to Management

communicate better with employees, show your appreciation more for employees, put the schedule out earlier so more time for employees to prepare

11. not good enough

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at A.C. Moore part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on merchandise, it's a job

Cons

The company bends over backwards for the customer than the employees. Thankless job. Two years and no pay raise. Stupid policies and no support when dealing with unruly and dishonest customers.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to employees who do their jobs well. Support employees when dealing with difficult customers. Crackdown on employees calling out sick when they aren't sick.

RSS Feed </> Embed