A.D.A.M.

Mark B. Adams

geniuses in collaberation!

Former Employee - Senior Tech Support in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Tech Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at A.D.A.M. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great people; great products; great development and projects

Cons

was a public company; many issues with share holders and staying public

do not go public on the next run

Strange. Just when you think they are on the right path they derail the train themselves.

I worked at A.D.A.M.

Pros

Decent pay and flexibility with work life balance.

Cons

They have no idea what they are doing as they are stuck in the mud with an antiquated platform.

Think about a plan of attack or direction you're heading for more than a minute.

Lost Opportunites

I worked at A.D.A.M.

Pros

ADAM has a history of producing quality work. The health libraries and education materials were very well done. If the focus had continued on these products, the company would have continued to grow.

Cons

The enrollment software lead to the majority of the technical staff leaving or being shown the door. IT is a shame that a company with great products was unable to continue.

Too late for advice to management. The company has been stripped and sold after the CEO "pursed other opportunities" after the worst performing year of the company.

Eh... Not the best place to work.

Current Employee - Development in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Development in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at A.D.A.M.

Pros

The office is close to several good places to eat lunch, Near Marta, and Peidmont Park. The remaining people who slave here are nice. Great location for a person to work, good covered parking, and if your a memeber of a fitness club (company) they pay for half the monthly parking.You can use parking for events outside of work and on the weekends which is nice in the summertime.

Cons

I've been here for a few years now and it's not really a great place to work, no challenges, low company moral. Employees here are in constant fear of loosing their jobs because the company keeps laying off people and outsourcing. The compay use to have many employees that were here for several years, now employees who are here more than two years are considered old timers.

Management sets unrealistic deadlines and employees end up working several hours overtime, so if you're considering a job here, expect to work most weekends and many ten hour days. All the good people were either laid off or left to find better opportunities and the people remaining are either looking for a new job or just waiting for the axe to fall.

The office is decorated in this ugly white and green colors which is the absolute worst, desk have white tops, ceiling is white, walls are white, carpet and accents are UGLY green.

They do have a game room which is cool but if you go in there you may be the next to be laid off, so avoid it. Employees are also expected to clean the break room and all break areas for one week and the number of weeks you have to clean the areas in a year depends on how many employees there are.

The CEO; Sends nasty little emails out of the bathrooms are not clean and post snotty little signs on the doors if it's not. The problem with this is the restrooms are accessible to everyone in the building, so A.D.A.M. employees possibly get accused of peeing on the floor when it could have been someone else in from another company.

Hope this helps to make the company a better place to work

Outsourcing and Downsizing

I have been working at A.D.A.M.

Pros

If you are a contractor, you there may be a short term gig here. If you are in India even better.

Cons

Since the beginning of 2009, perms have been let go. I am wondering when I will be shown the door. Only "growth" is for contractors. No experienced engineers left.

Stop firing the experenced people and outsourcing everything to India. When I was hired it looked like the company was growing. Now?

Worst experience ever.

I worked at A.D.A.M.

Pros

Most of the people that I worked with there were really hard workers and fun to be around. Despite the work environment my peers kept striving to make a change. I'm still friends with most of the people I worked with and I hope those I left behind can find a more productive and nurturing home soon.

Cons

They treated their employees like cattle, expecting us to work nights and weekends to launch poorly designed products whose spec kept changing up until the last second. I was there less than a year and I couldn't get out fast enough. Even in my short time there, management either let or encouraged all of the domain experience to walk out the door. I don't think there is but a handful of people left who have more than a few years working for the company.

My advice with the board of directors is to not stop the replacement of executive management with Kevin Noland. That cut was too late, and not nearly deep enough.