A + Educational Centers

Get to help kids

Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at A + Educational Centers

Pros

You often get to meet great kids and wonderful families. Get to practice basic skills. Often relaxing, but occasionally stressful.

Cons

Compensation for extraneous costs to the tutors is slow, and occasionally not granted, which ultimately comes from my paycheck. From what I know, other companies pay upwards of $20.00 vs a meager $12-15 here. You often have to commute to homes (sometimes far away) and then you only get paid for gas. You often tutor in impoverished neighborhoods.

Sometimes the kids and families are not so nice.

Pay us more for the work we do. We put ourselves in less than friendly neighborhoods to uplift kids. Don't be so frugal with compensation. At a rate of $80.00 per hour being charged to the Federal Government for kids to get free tutoring it doesn't quite seem right...

Makes Promises They Cannot and are Unable to Uphold.

Former Employee - Distance Tutor in South Gate, CA
    Former Employee - Distance Tutor in South Gate, CA

I worked at A + Educational Centers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to decide how many kids you take on.

Cons

Making your own hours means being constantly harassed and pressured into taking on more students. Expected to waste hours of your time doing paperwork, uploading, driving, waiting and then not getting paid for all that time because "company policy says only this much is allowed to be compensated".

When I was hired in Sept. 2013 I was told that I could have upwards to 48 hrs if wanted as a tutor. I would have loved this. At orientation which FINALLY came nearly two months later I learned that as a Distance Tutor (meaning I would tutor students in my area which is around 2-4 hrs away from any of their centers) I am ONLY allowed to tutor up to 18 hours a week. I figured I could deal since it still "paid" more than my other job. The only negative is, you end up spending that extra you get from them on supplies they will not give you nor send in a timely manner or on gas going to areas they deem are still "in your area" and not compensate. I often found myself on the road or out an extra 1.5-2 hours running around to and from the first and last house or between houses. You do not get paid for the between. So if you have a full day on the weekened of 8 different students? You lose the time between houses because they will not pay for that even though you are tech. working.

This company does not understand logic and time management well. Especially when they harass you to go out and "sell", Outreach as they say, their company. They consider it clerical work which is only $10. Most fairs for me were an hour to two hours away. You Do Not get mileage for that unless it is over an hour and even at that it isn't enough. For when you calculate the time driving and at the fairs then divide it by the hours spent doing such of your time? It normally equals out to way below min. wage. Then you haven't even paid for the gas yet. Yeah :/

Also on the harassing, they were very persistant that I call and call and call parents, even ones that refused to have any other tutor but one individual and pester them senseless.

Also their HR rep for one center in particular needs to be sent to college for such or have proper training because calling their employee stupid and cussing at them for a mistake on their end when I fulfilled their request was unacceptable.

One last thing. A+ gets paid around $100 for those sessions you give the children. You see only 16% of that. That's right. They take basically an 84% commission of that $100.

If you want to tutor and not be harassed or be pressured into outreaching, go to Wyzant. Rates are way better there and you can tutor in a much wider variety of subjects.

Work with your HR department. Educate them on how to handle a situation that doesn't include them calling your tutors idiots or cussing at them.

Give the tutors a better cute of the service they are giving.

Stop harassing your tutors to take more students or drive further then they are comfortable with.

When you interview a person and hire them, be truthful on the amount of students they can get, hrs, and when tutoring actually starts. My first student didn't come till a week before Thanksgiving.

Look elsewhere if you want to tutor.

Former Employee - Tutor in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Oxnard, CA

I worked at A + Educational Centers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The happiness of the children who want to be helped, when you have improved their understanding of the subject (Math or English). The gratitude of their parents, and knowing that you have helped. Some of the Center managers who are dedicated to teaching and helping their students.

Cons

The c.e.o. and owner casts a dark shadow on everyone and everything at A+. She has no clue about how to manage people (except to manipulate them), and her micro-management style creates a very negative and adversarial work environment which radiates out from her throne in Malibu. She is more concerned with making money than with helping her students. If you value your sanity, you keep your head down and have as little to do with her as possible. Also, the managers who are more concerned with currying her favor rather than running their center, and the admins who don't have a clue.

The owner should quit as c.e.o. and return to being a tutor, which is what she does best.