A.M. Best Reviews

Arthur Snyder III

Decent...sorta

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst II in Oldwick, NJ
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst II in Oldwick, NJ

I have been working at A.M. Best full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fair Pay
    Great Hours
    Some very Nice People to work with (your peers)
    little to no overtime. When your day is over, your day is truly over

Cons

No room for advancement, just upper level managers occasionally changing titles
    Small raises
    Cameras everywhere, alwayyysss watching.
    A definite line between upper management and everyone else. You work FOR them, not with them.
    A ton of dead weight employees
    Can be boring unless your on an interesting project.

Many of your groups do nothing for the majority of the day, leaving a ton of work for the 20% that actually get things done. Recognize this and cut the dead weight so you can truly grow.

Good experience in working for a magazine

Former Employee - Intern in Oldwick, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Oldwick, NJ

I worked at A.M. Best as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are extremely helpful, incredibly nice, and very supportive. The work-life balance is something of great importance and they allow their employees to be flexible.

Cons

I was just an intern so sometimes I didn't have very many things to do, but overall it was a great experience.

Strange

Former Employee - Customer Service and Business Development in Oldwick, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Business Development in Oldwick, NJ

I worked at A.M. Best full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- A paycheck
    - Learned what I don't want in a company
    - Easy commute
    - Met some nice people

Cons

- Didn't provide development opportunities
    - Old School they keep the ones who have been there forever even if they are dead weight
    - They don't know how to readjust business goals to a changing professional world
    - Groups dont work together inside the company

- Appreciate the ones who have good work ethic

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Former Employee - Secretarial
    Former Employee - Secretarial

I worked at A.M. Best full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay, nice location. Good alternative from having to work in NYC, and that is the only reason people choose to work for AM Best.

Cons

I have never heard of a worse place to work than this company. What is most amazing is how could they possibly stay alive.

You have no idea how to treat people. Your reputation continues to get worse. Frankly, the only thing that will save this company is if another one buys it, and kicks out the clown who runs it.

Yesterday's Technology Today, Today's Technology Next Week - If You're Lucky

I worked at A.M. Best full-time

Pros

Nice grounds and buildings, nice coworkers, CIO is cool. Luxurious cafeteria.

Cons

Don't work here if you're looking for cutting edge technology. They're still a big iron mainframe shop under everything and it shows -- PC/desktop products are a neglected ghetto, and Web only gets respect because it both brings in money and uses the mainframe on the back end. When I left a few years back, the flagship desktop products were still being written in Embarcadero Delphi, of all things -- and .NET was still being "discussed" as a "possible" alternative. If the product screen shots on their website are any indication, they're still being written in Delphi.

Desktop product development was underbudgeted and understaffed, and innovation of any sort was discouraged. It took forever to get approval even for $50 software purchase, and you had to justify it as if you were asking for a major capital expenditure. By the time I left I was certain that desktop dev was being deliberately crippled so as not to threaten the mainframe side, despite competing products getting constantly held up to us as targets to beat. And for no reason I could understand, we were actually forbidden from using some of the free 3rd-party tools that came with Delphi -- something about keeping us from wanting to buy their full versions, I was told. As a result, we had to reinvent the wheel so many times.

There's no advancement potential here, HR positively cackles with delight when they get a chance to screw over an employee, and upper management is so old-school they'd make a robber baron look like a labor activist. And the jobsite is incredibly remote -- you're literally surrounded by nothing but farmland for miles in any direction. You could work in Siberia and be closer to civilization.

If you want to compete with other companies' desktop products, you could at least give your developers decent tools and support instead of an obsolete language and outrageous restrictions on what tools they could use with it.

Dismal

Former Employee - Mid-level Experience in Oldwick, NJ
    Former Employee - Mid-level Experience in Oldwick, NJ

I worked at A.M. Best full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers you the chance to work closely with some of the greatest minds of this generation: from financial analysts to IT to editorial/graphics talents and more. It hires only those it deems 'the best.' You're brought to a higher level by the immediate people around you, and it's an amazing work atmosphere. The company also is well respected in its field and that affords you the opportunity to work with some of the greatest minds and talents on Wall Street and across the financial services field worldwide.

Cons

The privately owned company is ruled by the current family with an iron fist. You play by their extremely strict rules: men must have short hair and be clean shaven; women must wear pantyhose, closed-toe shoes and low heels. It's like 1947. There is no casual Friday; there are no 3-martini lunches. You can be fired for having a glass of wine at lunch. The pantyhose rule has eased up in recent years, so I hear.
    Conversely, the ruling family knows very little about its own business and often creates extremely embarrassing and unprofessional situations, which you have to either bear or try to fix. Additionally, its publishing arm is overseen by the family, which has not a clue to the fine workings of the industry. You are often asked to do the impossible; your work is often scrapped and the assignment given to a co-worker; the 'incident' of this 'failure' goes into your file. It's like working for very spoiled children. Yet you are expected to produce nothing but award-winning work each and every time you actually complete a project.
    Compensation is decent, but tricky. You do get sick time, but are not allowed to use it. Often, you are forced to travel, at whim--unplanned travel with no warning to you or your family--and you must pay all your own travel expenses upfront, and you have no input as to flights or accommodations. They pick it, you pay for it. There is no corporate charge card. The company does reimburse you up to 6 weeks later, but by then you may have bounced so many checks that your credit is impacted.
    The owners are pennypinchers and cut all corners imaginable. They do subsidize a nice, somewhat pricey lunch--which is part of your overall compensation package--and therefore frown on subjects who bring their own lunch to save money. There are no microwave ovens allowed in the building; no heating up last night's leftovers for lunch. Someone did sneak a small microwave in once and was promptly fired.
    The HR staff are mere puppets for the administration; they are the last people you want to go to for insight or assistance of any kind. If you do, you are brought up on 'charges' of undetermined nature and your appearance goes into your file as marked for future termination.
    It's a stressful and oppressive place to work; the four people who were hired the same day as me all quit within the first week; one quit the first day. I lasted a few years.

1. Let the second-tier management rule their own sectors: they know the business, you do not. Let these great minds you've hired do their thing. Quit 'Steinbrennering' every part of the business. Learn to depend on your people. 2. Learn a little bit about the business; it's embarrassing that newbies to the company know more than the ruling family. 3. Move into the 21st century. Or the 20th. You've hired some of the greatest minds of this generation: let them grow. Treat them like human beings. Let them have their foibles. 4. Give people some time off. Seriously, there are men sleeping in chairs in the hallways, in unused conference rooms, at their desks. I used to nap in my car at lunch to be able to keep up with both the workload and my 8 hours of sleep--along with many other overworked, under-rested colleagues. People are not machines. They have value. 5. Either really subsidize lunch--$30 to $40 a week is a lot of money--or allow people to nuke leftovers. Your employees did not inherit millions like you did. They live on their paychecks. Give them a break.

Most Dysfunctional Place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oldwick, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Oldwick, NJ

I have been working at A.M. Best

Pros

Work/Life Balance is good. No long hours.

Cons

AMB is not a place to make a career and the senior management team is absolutely horrible.

Quit!

Terrible

I worked at A.M. Best

Pros

It's a job. The commute isn't too bad from Central NJ or Eastern PA. Usually nobody gave you trouble about taking time off.

Cons

Absolutely zero respect shown toward employees. This is a company that will never, ever let you forget that you are ultimately replaceable. Benefits are nearly non-existent. Promotions are nearly impossible to come by. Some middle managers are quite competent and pleasant to work with. Most senior managers will waste no opportunity to stab you in the back if it's in their interests.

Turnover is outrageous. The only way to truly survive this company and its Byzantine politics is to be a yes-man. Management has driven away most of its dedicated employees or anyone with an original idea in their heads, and is by and large oblivious to the state the company is in.

Your people are your greatest asset. You can't continue to coast on the company's name and reputation (the AIG fiasco took care of most of that anyway). Ruling a company by fear is not a way to retain talent.

OK

I worked at A.M. Best

Pros

The People, the friendliness, the stability

Cons

Lack of communication, employees are not valued as much as material assets. Lack of opportunity to advance.

Take management training.

Nicest group of people

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Oldwick, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Oldwick, NJ

I worked at A.M. Best

Pros

Nice people. Share information. Work-life balance.

Cons

Private company. Strict, top-down (from top leaders) culture.

See above - could allow more flexibility with work hours/work from home for professional employees.