A Place for Mom

Updated January 14, 2015
2.8

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 21 reviews)

• This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 6 reviews)

• The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a good time working for this company.

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

If you work hard you will move up quickly.

Cons

Fairly disorganized when I worked there. Maybe better now that it has been a few years.

Work nights weekends and holidays without pay for a slave shop for 30K w/out a chance of achieving a bonus

Current Employee - SLA
    Current Employee - SLA

I have been working at A Place for Mom

Pros

There are no pros, I regret accepting this job and devouting 5 years of my life to these money hungry fake people who only care about "getting the move"! Don't bother making friends with any new hires, they all burn out after making no money and working 65 plus hours a week for 30K, you will only feel worse about it if you get to know them.

Cons

I have been a SLA from my home office for 5 plus years on 1/1/15 after achieving my quoto every qtr in 2014 I was told my base salary is now less 5 grand/ year and my quoto went up 11 percent! Take it or leave it!

The Seattle managment team consist of 20 and 30 year olds with no experience in the healthhcare seniorcare marketplace. Stop saying "You guys...." on team calls, it is so class less when 95 % of the SLA's are females. You lie about everything and know we all work 66 plus hours a week but you only pay for 40 and now we learn that you listen to us through our laptops when we are not on a phone call. Your goals unattainable and you "set us up for FAILURE" not Success as you keep saying. Base pay of 30K for 65 hours of work is ridiculus and you know it. Stop hounding us to work on paid holidays WITHOUT PAY!

Great company to work for who has made such positive advances.

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home, opportunity for advancement, great income potential, ability to help families in need.

Cons

No face to face interaction with your co workers- you have to stay in touch with the phone!

Keep up the great work - you are taking us to places we never thought we would go!

This job has been a great experience so far - it's a dynamic company that has transformed itself over the past few years

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are definitely opportunities for personal advancement here for people who want to reach out and take on new challenges or even branch out into other areas to gain experience. Also, the ultimate goal of the company - to help families - is an extra bonus while still working for a company that satisfies the corporate shareholders as well with increasing revenues.

Cons

The location isn't great - traffic is bad and nowhere good to have lunch - but the company is moving to Columbia Center at the end of the year and that should remedy those two issues.

Keep having the monthly meetings - those are great touch base times. I feel like the layout of the office isn't great for collaboration and "water cooler" meetings - hopefully the new building will have a better design.

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback! We are keeping the monthly meeting and have changed up the agenda to include more updates. Also, we recently launched an internal monthly newsletter to communicate more ... More

An incredible transformation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every role matters here. The company is experiencing high growth which means there's simply too much to do, which is great for job security and career acceleration. If you do well, there many opportunities for advancement. A lot of new roles have been internal promotions.

The people are the greatest in the world. They are smart, compassionate, reasonable, innovative, and inspiring. We hang out together outside of work, and actually enjoy it. I would work with my team at any other company.

The dual mission is pretty unique. It's not just about "hitting your numbers" or "exceeding budget", but about "helping more families" and "uplifting lives". You can view your job as a corporate role, or as a social position, or even as part of the healthcare system. Many think of their job as all three.

Cons

The transition under the new ownership has been challenging. Many people have had their job descriptions change, the founding team has departed, the original branding is being modernized, and most importantly, all the toxic relationships that were inherited are slowly being mended. It's been painful and there have been a couple missteps, but the company is certainly moving in the right direction and is evolving into a top place to work and accelerating their market leading position.

There is a tight knit group at the top that has been through the trenches together before, so don't count on being part of that trusted circle from day 1. But the leadership is a meritocracy, so do good work, be kind, and have a sense of humor and fun and the circle will expand for you.

Stay focused on the dual mission, hiring great people, and making APFM a great place to work.

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care. The work we do is FREE for families and they are very appreciative of the service we provide.
    Work from HOME. No traffic, no commute, and you can really focus on working in a FUN, virtual environment.
    PAY for performance. If you work hard and follow the sales guidelines and policies you can meet and/or exceed your goals and make excellent money.

Cons

It is a real JOB and with that is a lot of responsibility. The corporate office is in Seattle and all the field Advisors are the "face of APFM". They represent all of us, and if someone is not professional it reflects poorly on everyone.
    The work is not for everyone. You must be self-motivated and understand the structure in place to ensure SUCCESS.

You do an amazing job making everyone feel a vital part of the business culture at APFM. More sales spiffs and prizes to help with engagement of remote employees might result in greater achievement.

Instill more accountability to protect the GREAT employees. Negativity can be quickly damaging in the field with our partner communities.

There's Room for Improvement with Every Company

Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

APFM has grown tremendously improving training, benefits, and technology. Every company has their pain points especially companies with rapid growth. I've seen several employees leave the company and come back a year or two later after they realized that the grass wasn't greener. Several new positions have been created over the last few years allowing for people to advance in their careers.

Cons

The current corporate office is too small, not allowing for much personal space. When people can't get personal space there is always conflict. Can't wait to move to the new office! When a company grows as fast as APFM they have to also become scalable, which requires change. The company has not figured out how to hire people whose core competency is to adapt to that change.

Continue asking for feedback from employees. Let employees know that you heard their feedback. Sometimes when it takes awhile to implement changes people think you did not hear them or did not care about their concerns.

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. Receiving feedback from our employees is important to us. While we’ve conducted employee surveys in the past, we are soon implementing a new survey ... More

Great company where you can make a significant impact on both the business and supporting families in need of help.

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living. The right size company to make an immediate impact. Team oriented. Talented and passionate employees.

Marketing team is growing and in need of talented new members for our SEO and brand teams. Many opportunities to continue to expand our reach and create new platforms in our mission to help Seniors and their families.

Cons

Overall, great compensation and benefits, but catching up to some bigger companies in a few areas. The good news is the company culture is evolving and the organization is investing in these areas.

Keep going.

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback and review. We’re committed to investing in our culture and are pleased you’ve seen the positive impact.

Beware of False Positive Reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. The idea of being able to help families find solutions during a very vulnerable time in life.
    2. Work life balance. There is not much accountability in any department, and the work load is typically very manageable.
    3. Free snacks and coffee.

Cons

There is a clear loss of direction with this company, and senior management is to blame. The CEO only hires Expedia and McKinsey buddies to fill senior management roles, and has an obvious level of discomfort working with women. This company operates as a "start-up" but has been around for over 14 years, and under Sean Kell for over 4. Aside from the lack of promotional and professional growth opportunities, there are several reasons I'd stay away from this company:

1. Career Suicide. There are zero professional growth opportunities within this company, and this ranges from the inability to go to conferences for growth to actual promotions.
    2. This is a company that does not treat their employees well. From the lack of transparency to the embarrassing benefits the company "offers" their employees, it is clear that this company does not value their employees.
    3. HR is not on your side. HR has done very little to protect its employees by following up with investigations, and unethical practice claims. Instead, they do a very good job in not answering your questions and always protecting the CEO. I also always get nervous when I see HR or Recruiters leave a company I am working at. The Director of Talent Acquisition left the company at the beginning of the year, and six months later two other recruiters (the only two that most of us actually saw in the office) left the company to join major PNW based companies.
    4. There is zero accountability, and no cohesiveness amongst departments. Every departments runs as if they are their own entity, and answer to no one. Each department operates off of their own interpretation of what they think the company's "mission statement" is and that is why there is a lack of overall direction.
    5. No workforce planning or transparency in company direction.
    6. The OBVIOUS false reviews that were posted. It is disgusting when companies try to decisive potential candidates to work for their company but even more so when they bribe their current employees to make false posts on review sites such as this. The false reviews discredits the overall integrity of review sites like Glassdoor. It is obvious that the recent influx of "positive" reviews (all posted within the same month and time frame, mind you) were from senior management trying to change the overall ratings. As someone who has worked with the corporate staff, I can tell you right now this is just a small example of what the senior management team thinks is appropriate to do.
    7. Everyone is a "Director of Operations" - There are at least 5 people with that title and nobody understands why or what they do. When you ask the recruiters who the new Director of Ops is they just laugh and ask which one? Not a good sign...

Be transparent, be ethical and actually stick to the mission that the founders set forth because you are touching lives and not in a positive way.

Great growth opportunity - working on innovative products

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Technology investment has increased greatly after new leadership came on board. Vision has resulted in position results and stability has increased greatly.

Cons

Distractions from the core focus of the company (helping families and partners) sometimes get in the way.

Keep investing in the team and we will keep up the 30% growth YOY.