A Place for Mom

A Place for Mom Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell

Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 15 reviews)

• Helping families with major life decisions (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor compensation; draw against commission & no base salary (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover due to unhappy employees at headquarters (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Dream job, amazing company...before the "buy out".

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSo many great things...true work hard, play hard culture. Collaborative leadership. The mission and vision. I still believe in the concept. Touching lives and helping those who truly had needs. Worthy work.

ConsDistinct loss of direction after the buy-out. Those of us that participated in "building" the start up were tossed aside after the new regime came on scene. Many treated as if they were of no value whatsoever.

decent company, but needs direction and focus.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prossome (limited) career growth, free coffee/drinks, nice location (for now), orca cards or parking reimbursement provided, free service (less irate customer complaints)

Consexecutives and management lack focus. it feels like the goal at hand is ever changing with very little consistency. it is also "cliquey" at corporate headquarters, with certain people given special treatment above others depending on who you know. the corporate floor treats the call center floor like dirt or, for lack of a better term, special needs children. the pay could also be better - their bonus structures and pay raises always change and aren't always fair.. tends to go by seniority instead of who's performing the best and doing the most work. also, if you need a vacation all there is is PTO, it's all in one giant pool so you must use it for sick time as well. health benefits are expensive.

Advice to Senior Managementthis company would benefit from more transparency.. for example, we are moving buildings later this year.. the CEO knows where and has for months but won't tell anyone yet. inexperienced managers who feed into cliques and pick and choose people for different projects, limiting growth that is based on actual knowledge and work ethic, rather, you are rewarded more if you sweet talk the right people. Try treating your employees fairly and professionally and stop breeding a gossipy environment.

Great position~ start to Listen

ProsTons of great points to this position. Love what I do, quality time with hospitals , rehabs and families.

ConsManagement needs to do their job and stay in their division. Big brother hinders growth and it deflates us to do what we are here to do! Work is never balanced!

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to explain to someone who has never been in our shoes. Walked our journey for years. You go and hire outside managers who have no concept of our industry or for that matter no art in management.
    Want continuity? Start to listen to the top a Sales team!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Living Advisors underpaid and pushed to work holidays, evenings.

Senior Living Advisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best reason to work at A Place for Mom would be helping families in time of need find senior housing for memory care, assisted living, etc.

ConsI was extremely surprised having done other professional sales roles how aggressive and pushed Senior Living Advisors were by management to meet their quotas and threatened to be put on an improvement plan if they didn't. The reason I was so surprised is the tactics that are used to demean the employee. When guiding families in crisis you can not push them, it needs to be a consultative sales approach not a "used car sales approach" in making the sale! Don't treat your employees unprofessionally!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like they are valuable - don't threaten them and use passive aggressive tactics. This makes you look really bad and who wants to work for someone like this? Humiliating! It makes you wonder how they pick managers! Remember this is a service helping people in crisis with their mother or dad. If you treat your employees badly it will be reflected in them working with families and pushing them! Bad news!

A 13yr old company with the mindset of a start up

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsJob security with a backlog of 18 months worth of projects.

ConsVery under paid. Lack of technology resources to keep up with current trends. Nothing matters more than generating leads. Even the culture of the company falls 2nd to that metric.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are not expendable. There is a lot of talent under you. This is not something a wise senior team should take for granted.

Company in transition, not sure where they're going

ProsIt is a small company so people know your name. The atmosphere is casual and mostly friendly. They have lofty goals and plenty of opportunity.

ConsThere was lots of management churn. Initially I thought it was just a change of key people as their strategy changed, but it seemed to be ongoing with people leaving after only a year or two. Their priorities seemed to be changing on nearly a monthly basis with key direction changing between my interview and first day of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and stick with it.

Watch out when you leave

Senior Living Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsNone none none none none none none none none none none none none none none none none none

ConsRead employee manual carefully! They will screw you when you lead. They will not pay you for earned PTO & you have to be employed on the day bonus payout is paid in order to receive. Since it usually isn't paid until about the 20th of the next month you are going to get screwed if you had any move ins. Never have I worked for a company who was so cheap that they wouldn't pay employees what they had earned with their hard work. It is a thank you for your service & they will kick you in butt on way out!

So focused on generating leads, that they don't pay attention employee satisfaction.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe company is small enough to where you can really get to know people and have a sense of community.

ConsSadly, the CEO takes good care of the friends he brought over from his previous companies, and lets the other employees fall by the wayside. His bias is obvious, and his friends' departments tend to see the most money allocated to their needs and receive the most promotions. Good luck seeing any sort of career progression unless you are a part of a team with a manager that is within the CEO's inner circle.

There is SO much focus on leads and move-ins. While this is important and what generates money for the company, APFM is forgetting about how much money they waste every time they have an employee resign, and they have to spend the time and the money to hire, train, and have a new employee fully ramped up. This affects the bottom line too. People are not happy, they are looking for better opportunities, and they are leaving. APFM is churning through employees, and there doesn't seem to be any change in sight. Not only have I seen countless advisors and corporate employees exit the company, but APFM has had two CFOs leave the company in under two years and has been operating without a CFO since January of 2014.

Lastly, APFM is a 14 year old company but they haven't progressed at much of anything other than generating leads. Technology is lacking, management is inexperienced, there's no workforce planning, branding is underwhelming, HR turns a blind eye to so many performance and morale issues, the list goes on...

If you are interested in a career with A Place for Mom, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees. You have so many people that have skills that are underutilized and do not get the recognition they deserve. The immense amount of complaints on Glassdoor alone should be a red flag that something is terribly wrong. Foster an environment of engagement, and you'll start to see better results.

Senior Living Advisor

Senior Living Advisor (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsGreat industry to be connected with. Lots of job satisfaction.

ConsGoals and metrics unrealistic. Having had 2 managers, first one supportive, the other not at all.

Strong purpose, but bad CEO

ProsThere is actually so much good that happens for seniors! There are really good advisors in the company who care about the purpose.

ConsThere seems to be a lack of leadership, no CFO for sometime now, long hours and I don't feel valued at all for the work I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us an idea of what the goals are, what we are working our butts off for, because it isn't the money.

Worked for A Place for Mom? Contribute to the Community!