A Place for Mom Reviews

Reset
2.8
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 21 reviews)

• work from home has potential, the broader goal of helping families is a good one (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 6 reviews)

• In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up (in 3 reviews)

Headed in the right direction, slowly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is trying to instill a positive culture and guiding values.

Cons

While many employees live by these new goals (and have for a while), it seems like senior management are the ones struggling to do that.

Many teams are overworked and under paid.

Advice to Management

Live values, don't just talk about them.

Great Clients, Great Service, Poor Management

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every client I worked with was a delight.
    Helping families in need was very fulfilling.
    Most of my teammates were wonderful and supportive.
    The Senior Living Communities I worked with were kind, caring & professional.

Cons

Sales management was probably the single worst thing.
    I had 4 sales managers in 2 years.
    Some reps were required (I mean scheduled) to work 60 or more hours per week while others were only scheduled for 30. All were on a similar "40 hour period week" pay plan.
    As soon as my team started meeting commission goals, the plan was changed from 100% commission to un reachable goals with base plus small commission. Most of the sales team took a 40% or larger pay cut! Nearly the entire team was gone within 9 months.
    A lot of us salespeople were very unkind to the call center staff.

Advice to Management

A little late now.
    Sales people will happily work long, crummy hours for good money and a fulfilling job. APFM's management clearly feels that sales people are a waste of resources. "If we could just get the software right, we wouldn't need those pesky sales people."
    Treat your staff with respect and pay them well. Your software cannot build the kind of relationship with families and partners that your previous sales team still enjoys.

3. Great Company!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Renton, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom (More than a year)

Pros

Can make descent money if you hustle and make calls.
    It feels good to help seniors and their families.

Cons

Lots of metrics to meet.
    Not much room for advancement.

Good

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for several years, and have gone through multiple changes with the company. I enjoy my current job very much, and look forward to growing with the company!

Cons

The biggest opportunity for improvement at the corporate office is to have the teams talk to each other more before they implement changes.

Advice to Management

Don't keep secrets for the sake of having a secret; what you are doing affects the work that the rest of us need to pick up, so tell us what's going on so we're prepped.

Senior living Advisor

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working out of your home. A good place to learn the assisted living business and go on from there. Helping people find the proper care and housing for their loved ones.

Cons

Working out of your home means working all the time. Not much contact with your fellow advisors. Unattainable sales quotas for low compensation in a numbers driven matrix . Emotionally draining because you are working with families who either have little or no money to place their loved one in a community or they are in denial and wait until the family member is no longer placeable.

Advice to Management

Set up reasonable quotas and maybe you would not have to hire new sales people every 18 months. Don't hire managers who's only sales experience is in the corporate field selling tangible objects. Keep in mind what you are really selling. This is an emotions based sale and is not predictable by charts, graphs, and numbers.

7. I got what I put into it!

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I began with A Place for Mom EONS ago and stayed on board through many-a changes and re-structures, over 10 years. I found them to be accomodating, flexible and honest. I left due to family obligations but was embraced and offered to call again should my family needs change and believe me given the right time I would be calling again for further opportunities.

I encourage all who ask me to interview if given the opportunity to better understand their current obligations and requirements and then if offered a position to decide if it works for their personal situation!

Cons

I will agree that the hours became too much for my personal situation. While full time most any advisor you ask is likely working well over 40 hours a week. There is no sugar-coating it is a FULL TIME job, albeit in your home office, there are quotas, standards and checks and balances. One must enter this understanding the sales side of senior living and secondary the compassion to help others.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? That is a tough one. I was well aware of the expectations and while not unreasonable they became hard for me personally and required my resignation.

The conversations I hear often are the expectations are set high and not many fully understand the commitment as well as the requirement.

I worked for APFM in the early days...HORRIBLE !!!

Former Employee - Advisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Advisor in Miami, FL

I worked at A Place for Mom (Less than a year)

Pros

I got a free trip to Seattle...Oh, it took MONTHS to get reimbursed!!! Other than that I don't have anything nice to say about this organization and particularly the management. I stayed longer than I should have believing I was doing great work for people in need...what a crock!!! Management could have cared less about our clients and the service providers we represented...Corrupt from END TO END !!!

Cons

A total SHAM. I still see their adds on TV and wonder how they ever survived? Their service is worthless. Anyone with even modest internet skills can do what their "advisors" do with a whole lot less interference pushing people to do what's in the interest of APFM and NOT their clients, service providers or so called "advisors" who generally know just enough more about the subject than the people who they're serving.

Advice to Management

If it's the same group I worked for originally (SLIME), they should all QUIT and jump into a volcano...Narcissistic PIGS !!! WORK FOR A PLACE FOR MOM AT YOUR OWN PERIL AND NOTE THEIR "EMPLOYEE" TURNOVER HAS BEEN CONSISTENTLY MASSIVE!!!

Can't trust a company who has employees write erroneous reviews

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

company's idea of service is to provide help to families needing senior living options.

Cons

The reviews for the company began to change over the last couple of years and it is noticeable that many of the reviews left on the website here have a common thread and sound very similar. Sounds a little "staged" to me. Also, the company listens in to advisors in their home offices. company has been sued in class action lawsuits from many advisors re: work, reimbursements, etc...company has employees who work more than the 40 hours per week in order to make their numbers.

Advice to Management

focus on serving the public consumer, your customers and the employees. focus on providing excellent service.

Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A career where you feel you are truly helping people and the clients are greatful and thankful for the services A Place for Mom provides. A genuine opportunity to earn a decent living while working from home.

Cons

You need to understand this is not a charity... this is a full time sales job and there are quotas that are expected to be met. You need to be able to be flexible and self motivated. You will work with a high volume of leads and need to be able to keep on top of them. There are many metrics that are measured and you are held accountable to meet them. Most successful advisors will work a lot of time, off the clock to meet their quotas. Advisors report there own time and A Place for Mom is strict about over time. However, everyone who is successful works overtime even if they dont report it. If you think you can work from home and do your laundry and housekeeping ... this is not the job for you! expect to work 50 + hours a week if you want to be successful.

Advice to Management

Start prasing your advisors more. Back off on the recorded calls and stop making everyone feel like they are under a microscope. The quotas are reaching saturation point and most advisors are working a lot of extra hours to make the numbers... they are going to burn out. It takes a special person who is self motivated to sit at there desk in their home office and manage all of the leads that are given to them.. Remember, it is the Advisors who generate the income that pays all of the upper management , presidents , VP and CEO salaries. A Thank you other than on the monthly advisor call goes a long way.

management has no vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom (More than a year)

Pros

Trying to help seniors and their families

Cons

Helping families that have lots of money
    No advancement