A Place for Mom Reviews

128 reviews filtered by
2.9
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 21 reviews)

• This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 6 reviews)

• The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

1. Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A career where you feel you are truly helping people and the clients are greatful and thankful for the services A Place for Mom provides. A genuine opportunity to earn a decent living while working from home.

Cons

You need to understand this is not a charity... this is a full time sales job and there are quotas that are expected to be met. You need to be able to be flexible and self motivated. You will work with a high volume of leads and need to be able to keep on top of them. There are many metrics that are measured and you are held accountable to meet them. Most successful advisors will work a lot of time, off the clock to meet their quotas. Advisors report there own time and A Place for Mom is strict about over time. However, everyone who is successful works overtime even if they dont report it. If you think you can work from home and do your laundry and housekeeping ... this is not the job for you! expect to work 50 + hours a week if you want to be successful.

Advice to Management

Start prasing your advisors more. Back off on the recorded calls and stop making everyone feel like they are under a microscope. The quotas are reaching saturation point and most advisors are working a lot of extra hours to make the numbers... they are going to burn out. It takes a special person who is self motivated to sit at there desk in their home office and manage all of the leads that are given to them.. Remember, it is the Advisors who generate the income that pays all of the upper management , presidents , VP and CEO salaries. A Thank you other than on the monthly advisor call goes a long way.

2. Senior Living Advisor

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at A Place for Mom

Pros

Work from home, lots of marketing support, supportive team, can make great money if you put the time in, flexible hours, industry is growing immensely so good job security

Cons

Lots of busy work, constant tasking with partners and families can get overwhelming at times, CRM(database system) is old-need better ability to track sales and move them forward

Advice to Management

Play fair with all advisors on your team- make goals attainable

3. A job like life...is what you make it!

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding! To help a family who is so overwhelmed by discharge planners, social workers and all kinds of communities in the area. We help them narrow down the best options based on level of care need, budget and location; saving them so much frustration and legwork. I have a very supportive RM and team; I couldn't ask for better people to work with. I don't understand all the negative reviews I read.

Cons

My biggest complaint...truly is the 2 weekend shifts I work a month. It's not that bad and I've always worked weekend in my other life before APFM. I just feel I've gotten spoiled. So yes I work 5 hours every other Saturday and 1 week night from 5-9 a week. Truly not a big deal. It's sales sometimes you can only catch families in the evenings.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your team and support them with the tools they need to be successful.

This is a sales job!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will have the opportunity to help people and that is rewarding. You can make a decent income if you work very hard. There is no commute and no need to purchase an expensive wardrobe.

Cons

You can't spend as much time helping people as you would like because you are under the gun to make sales. If a family has no money you can't afford to spend a lot of time talking to them. You will have to work very hard. If you think working from home is a cushy arrangement, Think again. It takes 6 months to a year to make your on target earnings. Don't expect to be the exception to that rule. You are asked to flex your time. This means you are unlikely to get 2 full days a week off and you will have to work at least 1 night a week until 9PM. I have worked many a 13 hour day and that's not an exaggeration. work/life balance is a pipe dream. If you don't obsess over this job, especially in the first year, you will not be successful. They used to ask for 2.5 hours of phone time/day understanding that we work on average 2 hours off the phone for every hour on. Now they are demanding 4 hours of phone time. There is a ton of documentation, writing, emailing etc. You would need to be a machine to consistently accomplish 4 hours of talk time in an 8 hour day. There is a pretense that you don't need to work overtime when you won't be successful if you don't. If you take a vacation you will struggle the next month.

Advice to Management

Remember that advisors are and always have been the key to your success. Tenure and experience have value. Not everything can be automated.

Very rewarding to help families in their search for Senior Living options!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can be very lucrative, it's also very nice to work from home. It's a sales job so if one is not willing to make dials and manage their time effectively, it's not a good fit. I love the flexible hours, too!

Cons

I miss the comraderie of working in a team atmosphere but coworkers are only a phone call away. Working from home sounds easy but it's very challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to improve technology. I also feel Regional Managers have a bit too much on their plate.

7. Abysmal at best.

Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at A Place for Mom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

not sure there are any... get to work at home is good. Love the idea of a place for mom.

Cons

metric requirements are unrealistic * make us fight for hours but keep hiring more people *you blink and they have changed something, *they do not show you your QA sheets they just tell you what score you got so you have nothing to base your metrics on except their little spreadsheet, *they constantly harangue you for the smallest little things *they do not allow scheduling by seniority or achievement but first come first serve and they make it so that you have no choice but to work all weekend if you want more than 12-14 hours a week *they have streamlined the scripting so much that there is little time for empathy or rapport but they expect to build it in about 4 sentences *their systems are finicky and buggy and they do not pay your for tech issues related to their own systems *the list goes on

Advice to Management

start treating people like people not robots. Let the people who want to work work instead of hiring more people *pay the chat advisors for actually advising and not advising and making calls at the same time so there is not so much wait time for an answer to a question that we get dinged for *stop nit picking and recording it, nobody is perfect all the time!

8. not as expected

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

The product is great in theory.

Cons

Advisor's are told to provide website information to those who do not financially qualify for a community who is under contract to pay APFM.
    work/Life balance is out of balance.

Great growing organization!

Current Employee - Regonal Manager
    Current Employee - Regonal Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom

Pros

Top notch benefits, high growth and driven organization, strong team environment, fantastic training

Cons

You have to love a growing, driven environment. If you love working in a fast paced environment with an expectation of hitting your goals, you will love your job!

Advice to Management

Keep being as progressive as you are- we love being the industry leader!

Not a nice company - RUN!!!

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None - unless you are a sheep and blindly follow. If you enjoy sucking up, working evenings, weekends and never reporting that you work in excess of 40 hours per week you will do well here!

Cons

Micro-management, listen in to all calls, graded on all calls by people who have not even done your job. All about $$$ not about the families. Job cannot possibly be done in 40 hours/week. Regionals with no integrity- blindly do what they are told to do.

Advice to Management

They don't care about anyone's advice.

Generally a pleasant place to work, but lacked accountability and creativity, not the most transparent workplace.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Employees can be proud of the service they help to provide, mainly because you're striving to improve the lives of seniors and their families. The majority of people who work at APFM really care about what they do and that makes for a pleasant experience.

Cons

It's not really a creative or forward thinking environment with a lack of accountability and transparency throughout the company. Projects become monotonous. Not the best environment for individual growth and success as there were no useful pathways or programs in place to facilitate this. There was an upstairs/downstairs culture, which seemed archaic and counterproductive. APFM underwent a big transition, change in structure and a lot of employees, including myself, took on a lot more responsibility than their job title entailed. Many employees were overworked and their accomplishments went unrecognized during this time.

Advice to Management

Really listen to and talk with your employees one on one, value them and reward them. There needed to be more awareness and recognition from management of employees exceeding their responsibilities during the transition and beyond. Offer training programs and workshops to improve skills. I interacted with everyone, call center employees to CEO, and this was the consensus.