A Place for Mom

Updated October 12, 2014
2.9

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 21 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 5 reviews)

• The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

An incredible transformation

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every role matters here. The company is experiencing high growth which means there's simply too much to do, which is great for job security and career acceleration. If you do well, there many opportunities for advancement. A lot of new roles have been internal promotions.

The people are the greatest in the world. They are smart, compassionate, reasonable, innovative, and inspiring. We hang out together outside of work, and actually enjoy it. I would work with my team at any other company.

The dual mission is pretty unique. It's not just about "hitting your numbers" or "exceeding budget", but about "helping more families" and "uplifting lives". You can view your job as a corporate role, or as a social position, or even as part of the healthcare system. Many think of their job as all three.

Cons

The transition under the new ownership has been challenging. Many people have had their job descriptions change, the founding team has departed, the original branding is being modernized, and most importantly, all the toxic relationships that were inherited are slowly being mended. It's been painful and there have been a couple missteps, but the company is certainly moving in the right direction and is evolving into a top place to work and accelerating their market leading position.

There is a tight knit group at the top that has been through the trenches together before, so don't count on being part of that trusted circle from day 1. But the leadership is a meritocracy, so do good work, be kind, and have a sense of humor and fun and the circle will expand for you.

Stay focused on the dual mission, hiring great people, and making APFM a great place to work.

Great company where you can make a significant impact on both the business and supporting families in need of help.

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living. The right size company to make an immediate impact. Team oriented. Talented and passionate employees.

Marketing team is growing and in need of talented new members for our SEO and brand teams. Many opportunities to continue to expand our reach and create new platforms in our mission to help Seniors and their families.

Cons

Overall, great compensation and benefits, but catching up to some bigger companies in a few areas. The good news is the company culture is evolving and the organization is investing in these areas.

Keep going.

This job has been a great experience so far - it's a dynamic company that has transformed itself over the past few years

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are definitely opportunities for personal advancement here for people who want to reach out and take on new challenges or even branch out into other areas to gain experience. Also, the ultimate goal of the company - to help families - is an extra bonus while still working for a company that satisfies the corporate shareholders as well with increasing revenues.

Cons

The location isn't great - traffic is bad and nowhere good to have lunch - but the company is moving to Columbia Center at the end of the year and that should remedy those two issues.

Keep having the monthly meetings - those are great touch base times. I feel like the layout of the office isn't great for collaboration and "water cooler" meetings - hopefully the new building will have a better design.

A Place To Work

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Feel of a start-up company, even though in business about a decade
    Decent benefit package to start out, though it could be improved
    Small enough at local office level, you tend to know most of your fellow employees or teams
    Largest company in the field, so has a lot of leverage in the senior care industry
    If you put the time and effort in, the company often promotes from within for internal positions available, and the ability to somewhat 'climb the ladder'-- though available positions tend to be limited and far-between
    Company does a lot to donate to local and national charities, especially those close to the industry

Cons

The pay is lacking compared to other similar jobs in the industry, raises and bonuses can be difficult to come by.
    Not enough room to conduct all business (such as meetings, conference rooms, etc.)
    Company recently laid-off/out-sourced several dozen in the call center division, creating general un-ease at corporate
    Bi-monthly pay period can be difficult to manage financially for some
    Company going through growth spurt and associated growing pains, has moved corporate office twice in the past three years to accommodate growth
    Lots of flexible work/life balance, especially for work at home employees

We understand the company is owned by a venture capital firm, and that the investors are wanting a profitable company--and right now they have it. The biggest issue going forward to keep this momentum will be to attract and retain key employees with better pay and benefits to match similar industries (especially now the economy is rebounding), otherwise the high turn-over will eventually hurt the company. Make your employees feel like they matter, not just continue to make your venture capitalist ownership wallet's fatter.

What a ride!

Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

APFM has three really great things going for it:

1- The company does good. It helps people in a really hard time in their life (for free!). And on the other side it helps communities fill their room which would otherwise be empty. It's really nice to work for a company where if you do a better job as an employee in your core job you are making the world a better place.

2- The company is doing really well. We've had phenomenal growth rates multiple years in a row. This has meant that people have been promoted along with their abilities. There is no need to worry about your peers taking the limited promotion opportunities. You basically get to do as much as you are able to do (and sometimes more)

3- Related to #2, we have the opportunity to create what this place is becoming. The company is still small enough that every individual still has an impact on what happens. But it's big enough that what happens is a pretty big deal. It's a nice combination.

Some comments on some of the critical comments I've read on here. They seem to fall into 3 groups:
    1- Call Center Employees. I can't comment very well on what it's like to be a call center employee at APFM, but I imagine it's similar to other call centers (and pretty different than being a corporate staff). It would likely make sense to break out the reviews by the two types

2- Advisors in the Field. APFM has over 300 advisors working from home across the country. These people are the core of the business, but they also have a pretty different job than people working in Seattle. They are also held to a pretty high standard (as they are both the face of the company working with families, and the key drivers of company revenue by connecting those families with communities). It takes a unique person who is extremely empathetic working with people is one of the hardest times of their life, and also able to be managed by the numbers (number of calls per day, follow-up rate, warm transfer rate, referral rate, properties per referral, etc. etc.). It doesn't surprise me that some people who are very good at #1, struggle with #2. That seems to be the common complaint when I read through the bad reviews here

3- Head Office Staff. There are a lot less of these, but they seem to be sprinkled through here. A bunch are related to a group of employees that gossiped in each others offices and then all left at once. But there are some legitimate complaints. More on that in the "Cons"

Cons

In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up. No one would blink if a start-up didn't have a great 401-k plan or a gym in the building. But when a Fortune 500 company doesn't have those things people aren't happy. The problem with APFM is it is sitting inbetween those two worlds. Only three years ago APFM was definitely a scrappy start-up trying to make things work. A lot has changed in 3 years, but the systems and processes and benefits are trying to keep up.

401K match was only introduced last year (and it caps out at a relatively low rate). There is still no gym in the building. There is no matching of employee donations. Etc.

The good news is that it does seem to be getting better every year. 401K match WAS added. The year before that they added Long term Care Insurance. Every year the health care plan (which isn't very good) has gotten a little better.

The other issue is that with the constant growth and opportunities comes people who don't advance as quickly. If you are at Amazon and don't get promoted for 5 years you can chalk that up to the way the company works - you can look around you and see that no one is getting promoted. But if you don't get promoted for 5 years at APFM it's harder to say that. You are left having to look at yourself critically or to blame the company. That's hard on anyone I think.

Keep things growing. That will allow us to keep increasing opportunities and benefits for employees, and to help more families.

And then make sure you balance the focus on numbers (which will get us where we want to be) with the focus on people (which is why we are doing what we do)

There's Room for Improvement with Every Company

Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

APFM has grown tremendously improving training, benefits, and technology. Every company has their pain points especially companies with rapid growth. I've seen several employees leave the company and come back a year or two later after they realized that the grass wasn't greener. Several new positions have been created over the last few years allowing for people to advance in their careers.

Cons

The current corporate office is too small, not allowing for much personal space. When people can't get personal space there is always conflict. Can't wait to move to the new office! When a company grows as fast as APFM they have to also become scalable, which requires change. The company has not figured out how to hire people whose core competency is to adapt to that change.

Continue asking for feedback from employees. Let employees know that you heard their feedback. Sometimes when it takes awhile to implement changes people think you did not hear them or did not care about their concerns.

Great growth opportunity - working on innovative products

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Technology investment has increased greatly after new leadership came on board. Vision has resulted in position results and stability has increased greatly.

Cons

Distractions from the core focus of the company (helping families and partners) sometimes get in the way.

Keep investing in the team and we will keep up the 30% growth YOY.

All about profit and data / Not families or employees

Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very data focused company and growing fast. In a great industry that needs help. Very smart data team but lacks emotional intelligence.

Cons

Internal culture is toxic. People swear in meetings at many companies, but only at A Place for Mom do people swear directly at you. Also, the turnover in Sr Leadership roles is incredible. There is no focus on your own development and no partnership in that process.

In addition, the families/seniors who they work with are referred to as being 'harvested' in the sales process. This only demonstrates how disconnected the senior leadership team is from doing the right thing for its clients/customers.

The Haves and the Have Nots

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Near the end of my employment there, the management changed over and it looked like we all might be moving in the right direction.

Cons

We all went to meeting after meeting telling us about this beautiful new workspace that we would move to by the end of the year. It would be wonderful! Workout room, beautiful building, great places to eat, etc. Then the bottom fell out. After building us all up with this hype, the powers that be who live in their Ivory tower on the floor just above us, decided two months before the move to lay off all of the Customer Service agents and their supervisors. It was a shock and a shame. Why did they tell us all about these great new things coming in the future only to pull the wool out from under our feet?

Take more time to connect with your employees who are not in management, and for the love of God, tell them the truth!

Great coworkers horrible company culture

Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator
    Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, parking reimbursement, free coffee

Cons

Sneaky company, will keep you in the dark and screw you over the first chance they get.