A Place for Mom Reviews

Reset
2.9
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 21 reviews)

• work from home has potential, the broader goal of helping families is a good one (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 6 reviews)

• In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Dual Mission

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work from home environment. Fast-paced sales environment AND great way to help families through a difficult life transition.

Cons

Dispersed and remote sales force

Advice to Management

Benefits for family very expensive

2. Senior Adviser

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping families find the right solutions for there loved ones, parents mostly. I LOVED this part of my job.

Cons

Way to many work hours, averaged 70+ a week

Advice to Management

Less demand on the corporate bottom line, more attention for the well being of sales force employees taking care of there needs as well as the families we help.

Would Love To Come Back

Former Employee - Partner Services Manager in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Partner Services Manager in McHenry, IL

I worked at A Place for Mom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers exceptional, unique service to families during very difficult times.

Cons

Sometimes overly numbers driven. Many times you can benefit a family tremendously without securing a move in.

SLA

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company, Wonderful training, Lucrative bonus structure, flexible schedule

Cons

The benefits could be better

Money Hungry

Former Employee - Team Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and convenient location.

Cons

The snooty culture of the corporate office employees was demoralizing, but the way vulnerable customers were "harvested" for their money was appalling. They do not care about their customers or lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Value the original mission of this company, and treat your employees like people for a change

7. Such a shame!

Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor
    Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor

Pros

Welcome tithe world of propaganda. I do not know any advisor that would say "great dual purpose" it is obvious that corporate goes on and adds reviews to keep the ratings up. That is how they operate thier business model overall. Sean kell seems to have integrity but tricke down from there and it is disturbing . Employees are pressured to make a quota when they really have no control on the leads that are sent to them. Management will not show you your market area , if you ask a question about it during a conference call they blank your screen so you can't see it! No transparency and hard to trust them. Worst corporate greed I have ever seen. Most all advisors really are about the families but management only cares about hitting numbers for their bonus and they don't even try to hide it.

Cons

Terrible treatment of employees. They are undervalued and harassed! Just awful management selection! High turn over! Worst leadership I have ever seen and I have seen alot.

Advice to Management

Try a employee survey on how they feel. We do get surveys on name branding and other miscellaneous but they really need to hear about their rm's. There are two or three that are solid and respected but most are terrible. Makes no sense an seems to trickle down!

Not great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

money was good, idea of the company good providing help to consumers and communities. independent, autonomy to do the job etc...

Cons

The company doesn't focus on doing the right thing. Many of the advisors I worked with would send out referrals to all of the communities in the area, just in case the family might happen to tour. It is all about the number for the region and the company lost focus on doing the right thing. Many times, the advisors would bill erroneously in hopes that the community did not notice.

Advice to Management

Stop having your employees provide positive reviews in order to boost your ratings. Stop trying to cheat communities and families alike.

Headed in the right direction, slowly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is trying to instill a positive culture and guiding values.

Cons

While many employees live by these new goals (and have for a while), it seems like senior management are the ones struggling to do that. Many teams are overworked and under paid.

Advice to Management

Live values, don't just talk about them.

Great Clients, Great Service, Poor Management

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every client I worked with was a delight. Helping families in need was very fulfilling. Most of my teammates were wonderful and supportive. The Senior Living Communities I worked with were kind, caring & professional.

Cons

Sales management was probably the single worst thing. I had 4 sales managers in 2 years. Some reps were required (I mean scheduled) to work 60 or more hours per week while others were only scheduled for 30. All were on a similar "40 hour period week" pay plan. As soon as my team started meeting commission goals, the plan was changed from 100% commission to un reachable goals with base plus small commission. Most of the sales team took a 40% or larger pay cut! Nearly the entire team was gone within 9 months. A lot of us salespeople were very unkind to the call center staff.

Advice to Management

A little late now. Sales people will happily work long, crummy hours for good money and a fulfilling job. APFM's management clearly feels that sales people are a waste of resources. "If we could just get the software right, we wouldn't need those pesky sales people." Treat your staff with respect and pay them well. Your software cannot build the kind of relationship with families and partners that your previous sales team still enjoys.

11. Boring.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people and location is awesome.

Cons

Boring work. Same thing everyday nothing changes. Have to bribe you to get work done even when there is no work to be done.

Advice to Management

No advice this place is just boring.

RSS Feed </> Embed