A Place for Mom

Updated March 3, 2015
2.8

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 21 reviews)

• This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 6 reviews)

• The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very rewarding to help families in their search for Senior Living options!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It can be very lucrative, it's also very nice to work from home. It's a sales job so if one is not willing to make dials and manage their time effectively, it's not a good fit. I love the flexible hours, too!

Cons

I miss the comraderie of working in a team atmosphere but coworkers are only a phone call away. Working from home sounds easy but it's very challenging.

Continue to look for ways to improve technology. I also feel Regional Managers have a bit too much on their plate.

Great growing organization!

Current Employee - Regonal Manager
    Current Employee - Regonal Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom

Pros

Top notch benefits, high growth and driven organization, strong team environment, fantastic training

Cons

You have to love a growing, driven environment. If you love working in a fast paced environment with an expectation of hitting your goals, you will love your job!

Keep being as progressive as you are- we love being the industry leader!

Generally a pleasant place to work, but lacked accountability and creativity, not the most transparent workplace.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Employees can be proud of the service they help to provide, mainly because you're striving to improve the lives of seniors and their families. The majority of people who work at APFM really care about what they do and that makes for a pleasant experience.

Cons

It's not really a creative or forward thinking environment with a lack of accountability and transparency throughout the company. Projects become monotonous. Not the best environment for individual growth and success as there were no useful pathways or programs in place to facilitate this. There was an upstairs/downstairs culture, which seemed archaic and counterproductive. APFM underwent a big transition, change in structure and a lot of employees, including myself, took on a lot more responsibility than their job title entailed. Many employees were overworked and their accomplishments went unrecognized during this time.

Really listen to and talk with your employees one on one, value them and reward them. There needed to be more awareness and recognition from management of employees exceeding their responsibilities during the transition and beyond. Offer training programs and workshops to improve skills. I interacted with everyone, call center employees to CEO, and this was the consensus.

Quantity over quality and bad benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Their overall mission/objective is admirable and it makes you feel good to help families.

Cons

The sales-dominated atmosphere diminishes quality standards.
    I've worked at nonprofits with fewer employees that had much better benefits. High paycheck deductions, high deductibles, lumped PTO (vs vacation and sick) that is not paid out when you leave, and pathetic 401k contribution. This company does not invest in their employees therefore do not come here looking for benefits, perks, or compensation.

In terms of pay and benefits, it feels like this company is ran on bare bones. To be out-matched by a local nonprofit (in insurance costs and 401k matching) when you are an international for-profit company is telling of your priorities. Also, lean towards promoting within to instill brand allegiance.

I had a good time working for this company.

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

If you work hard you will move up quickly.

Cons

Fairly disorganized when I worked there. Maybe better now that it has been a few years.

Work nights weekends and holidays without pay for a slave shop for 30K w/out a chance of achieving a bonus

Current Employee - SLA
    Current Employee - SLA

I have been working at A Place for Mom

Pros

There are no pros, I regret accepting this job and devouting 5 years of my life to these money hungry fake people who only care about "getting the move"! Don't bother making friends with any new hires, they all burn out after making no money and working 65 plus hours a week for 30K, you will only feel worse about it if you get to know them.

Cons

I have been a SLA from my home office for 5 plus years on 1/1/15 after achieving my quoto every qtr in 2014 I was told my base salary is now less 5 grand/ year and my quoto went up 11 percent! Take it or leave it!

The Seattle managment team consist of 20 and 30 year olds with no experience in the healthhcare seniorcare marketplace. Stop saying "You guys...." on team calls, it is so class less when 95 % of the SLA's are females. You lie about everything and know we all work 66 plus hours a week but you only pay for 40 and now we learn that you listen to us through our laptops when we are not on a phone call. Your goals unattainable and you "set us up for FAILURE" not Success as you keep saying. Base pay of 30K for 65 hours of work is ridiculus and you know it. Stop hounding us to work on paid holidays WITHOUT PAY!

Great company to work for who has made such positive advances.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home, opportunity for advancement, great income potential, ability to help families in need.

Cons

No face to face interaction with your co workers- you have to stay in touch with the phone!

Keep up the great work - you are taking us to places we never thought we would go!

This job has been a great experience so far - it's a dynamic company that has transformed itself over the past few years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are definitely opportunities for personal advancement here for people who want to reach out and take on new challenges or even branch out into other areas to gain experience. Also, the ultimate goal of the company - to help families - is an extra bonus while still working for a company that satisfies the corporate shareholders as well with increasing revenues.

Cons

The location isn't great - traffic is bad and nowhere good to have lunch - but the company is moving to Columbia Center at the end of the year and that should remedy those two issues.

Keep having the monthly meetings - those are great touch base times. I feel like the layout of the office isn't great for collaboration and "water cooler" meetings - hopefully the new building will have a better design.

A Place for Mom Response

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback! We are keeping the monthly meeting and have changed up the agenda to include more updates. Also, we recently launched an internal monthly newsletter to communicate more ... More

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care. The work we do is FREE for families and they are very appreciative of the service we provide.
    Work from HOME. No traffic, no commute, and you can really focus on working in a FUN, virtual environment.
    PAY for performance. If you work hard and follow the sales guidelines and policies you can meet and/or exceed your goals and make excellent money.

Cons

It is a real JOB and with that is a lot of responsibility. The corporate office is in Seattle and all the field Advisors are the "face of APFM". They represent all of us, and if someone is not professional it reflects poorly on everyone.
    The work is not for everyone. You must be self-motivated and understand the structure in place to ensure SUCCESS.

You do an amazing job making everyone feel a vital part of the business culture at APFM. More sales spiffs and prizes to help with engagement of remote employees might result in greater achievement.

Instill more accountability to protect the GREAT employees. Negativity can be quickly damaging in the field with our partner communities.

An incredible transformation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every role matters here. The company is experiencing high growth which means there's simply too much to do, which is great for job security and career acceleration. If you do well, there many opportunities for advancement. A lot of new roles have been internal promotions.

The people are the greatest in the world. They are smart, compassionate, reasonable, innovative, and inspiring. We hang out together outside of work, and actually enjoy it. I would work with my team at any other company.

The dual mission is pretty unique. It's not just about "hitting your numbers" or "exceeding budget", but about "helping more families" and "uplifting lives". You can view your job as a corporate role, or as a social position, or even as part of the healthcare system. Many think of their job as all three.

Cons

The transition under the new ownership has been challenging. Many people have had their job descriptions change, the founding team has departed, the original branding is being modernized, and most importantly, all the toxic relationships that were inherited are slowly being mended. It's been painful and there have been a couple missteps, but the company is certainly moving in the right direction and is evolving into a top place to work and accelerating their market leading position.

There is a tight knit group at the top that has been through the trenches together before, so don't count on being part of that trusted circle from day 1. But the leadership is a meritocracy, so do good work, be kind, and have a sense of humor and fun and the circle will expand for you.

Stay focused on the dual mission, hiring great people, and making APFM a great place to work.