A Place for Mom

Updated September 28, 2014
2.7

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 20 reviews)

• Helping families with major life decisions (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

• Benefits are not as good as some big companies, but that's expected at a small company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

There's Room for Improvement with Every Company

Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

APFM has grown tremendously improving training, benefits, and technology. Every company has their pain points especially companies with rapid growth. I've seen several employees leave the company and come back a year or two later after they realized that the grass wasn't greener. Several new positions have been created over the last few years allowing for people to advance in their careers.

Cons

The current corporate office is too small, not allowing for much personal space. When people can't get personal space there is always conflict. Can't wait to move to the new office! When a company grows as fast as APFM they have to also become scalable, which requires change. The company has not figured out how to hire people whose core competency is to adapt to that change.

Continue asking for feedback from employees. Let employees know that you heard their feedback. Sometimes when it takes awhile to implement changes people think you did not hear them or did not care about their concerns.

What a ride!

Current Employee - Head Office  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

APFM has three really great things going for it:

1- The company does good. It helps people in a really hard time in their life (for free!). And on the other side it helps communities fill their room which would otherwise be empty. It's really nice to work for a company where if you do a better job as an employee in your core job you are making the world a better place.

2- The company is doing really well. We've had phenomenal growth rates multiple years in a row. This has meant that people have been promoted along with their abilities. There is no need to worry about your peers taking the limited promotion opportunities. You basically get to do as much as you are able to do (and sometimes more)

3- Related to #2, we have the opportunity to create what this place is becoming. The company is still small enough that every individual still has an impact on what happens. But it's big enough that what happens is a pretty big deal. It's a nice combination.

Some comments on some of the critical comments I've read on here. They seem to fall into 3 groups:
    1- Call Center Employees. I can't comment very well on what it's like to be a call center employee at APFM, but I imagine it's similar to other call centers (and pretty different than being a corporate staff). It would likely make sense to break out the reviews by the two types

2- Advisors in the Field. APFM has over 300 advisors working from home across the country. These people are the core of the business, but they also have a pretty different job than people working in Seattle. They are also held to a pretty high standard (as they are both the face of the company working with families, and the key drivers of company revenue by connecting those families with communities). It takes a unique person who is extremely empathetic working with people is one of the hardest times of their life, and also able to be managed by the numbers (number of calls per day, follow-up rate, warm transfer rate, referral rate, properties per referral, etc. etc.). It doesn't surprise me that some people who are very good at #1, struggle with #2. That seems to be the common complaint when I read through the bad reviews here

3- Head Office Staff. There are a lot less of these, but they seem to be sprinkled through here. A bunch are related to a group of employees that gossiped in each others offices and then all left at once. But there are some legitimate complaints. More on that in the "Cons"

Cons

In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up. No one would blink if a start-up didn't have a great 401-k plan or a gym in the building. But when a Fortune 500 company doesn't have those things people aren't happy. The problem with APFM is it is sitting inbetween those two worlds. Only three years ago APFM was definitely a scrappy start-up trying to make things work. A lot has changed in 3 years, but the systems and processes and benefits are trying to keep up.

401K match was only introduced last year (and it caps out at a relatively low rate). There is still no gym in the building. There is no matching of employee donations. Etc.

The good news is that it does seem to be getting better every year. 401K match WAS added. The year before that they added Long term Care Insurance. Every year the health care plan (which isn't very good) has gotten a little better.

The other issue is that with the constant growth and opportunities comes people who don't advance as quickly. If you are at Amazon and don't get promoted for 5 years you can chalk that up to the way the company works - you can look around you and see that no one is getting promoted. But if you don't get promoted for 5 years at APFM it's harder to say that. You are left having to look at yourself critically or to blame the company. That's hard on anyone I think.

Keep things growing. That will allow us to keep increasing opportunities and benefits for employees, and to help more families.

And then make sure you balance the focus on numbers (which will get us where we want to be) with the focus on people (which is why we are doing what we do)

Great growth opportunity - working on innovative products

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technology investment has increased greatly after new leadership came on board. Vision has resulted in position results and stability has increased greatly.

Cons

Distractions from the core focus of the company (helping families and partners) sometimes get in the way.

Keep investing in the team and we will keep up the 30% growth YOY.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Feel of a start-up company, even though in business about a decade
    Decent benefit package to start out, though it could be improved
    Small enough at local office level, you tend to know most of your fellow employees or teams
    Largest company in the field, so has a lot of leverage in the senior care industry
    If you put the time and effort in, the company often promotes from within for internal positions available, and the ability to somewhat 'climb the ladder'-- though available positions tend to be limited and far-between
    Company does a lot to donate to local and national charities, especially those close to the industry

Cons

The pay is lacking compared to other similar jobs in the industry, raises and bonuses can be difficult to come by.
    Not enough room to conduct all business (such as meetings, conference rooms, etc.)
    Company recently laid-off/out-sourced several dozen in the call center division, creating general un-ease at corporate
    Bi-monthly pay period can be difficult to manage financially for some
    Company going through growth spurt and associated growing pains, has moved corporate office twice in the past three years to accommodate growth
    Lots of flexible work/life balance, especially for work at home employees

We understand the company is owned by a venture capital firm, and that the investors are wanting a profitable company--and right now they have it. The biggest issue going forward to keep this momentum will be to attract and retain key employees with better pay and benefits to match similar industries (especially now the economy is rebounding), otherwise the high turn-over will eventually hurt the company. Make your employees feel like they matter, not just continue to make your venture capitalist ownership wallet's fatter.

Management is clueless

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working from home, helping seniors

Cons

Expected to work many nights and weekends, a 50-55 hr a week job but they are cheap and won't approve over time so most of the time you are working over 40 hours but not able to log the hours because they won't approve over time but there isn't enough time in a 40 hour week to get everything done and meet their high expectations. Management emphasizes on how they "coach" employees, but their "coaching" in micro managing and making employees send them lists of things they could look up on their own. Training is poor. You start off with a 2 week training but then you are left high and dry and the managers never continue any training because most of them are not even living in the region and don't even know the markets.

Focus more on learning the different markets state by state, learn how to actually train an employee instead of sending "hooray" emails hourly.

Deceitful

Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being able to help families in need.

Cons

-All they do is lie. They had their call center train an offsite call center. Afterwards they laid us all off. We have been asking them for a year and a half if they were going to outsource our jobs and they kept telling us no! Then out of nowhere on September 12th they called us all in the meeting room and told us they were keeping the outsource call center and laying us all off.

-they are offering all of us hush money in order to keep from telling the media about the insides of the company.

-their purpose is not to help families. Their purpose is to rise revenue and trick families into community's so that they get paid from the community and the community gets the families money

-bottom line THEY ARE CROOKED!!!

Get a heart!

Run. Far away.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom for more than a year

Pros

Located in South Lake Union, moving into a new location in the Columbia Tower. Both sites on bus lines.

Cons

Everything else. The benefits are laughable, the products are ready to keel over with accumulated cruft, and management directives from on high change every week.

Even if you don't really want to spend the time talking to your employees about direction and company-wide goals, at least talk to each other so we get the same (constantly changing) message. The whiplash you create would be useful in automobile crash safety tests on test dummies.

Great position~ start to Listen

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tons of great points to this position. Love what I do, quality time with hospitals , rehabs and families.

Cons

Management needs to do their job and stay in their division. Big brother hinders growth and it deflates us to do what we are here to do! Work is never balanced!

Hard to explain to someone who has never been in our shoes. Walked our journey for years. You go and hire outside managers who have no concept of our industry or for that matter no art in management.
    Want continuity? Start to listen to the top a Sales team!

Dream job, amazing company...before the "buy out".

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

So many great things...true work hard, play hard culture. Collaborative leadership. The mission and vision. I still believe in the concept. Touching lives and helping those who truly had needs. Worthy work.

Cons

Distinct loss of direction after the buy-out. Those of us that participated in "building" the start up were tossed aside after the new regime came on scene. Many treated as if they were of no value whatsoever.

decent company, but needs direction and focus.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

some (limited) career growth, free coffee/drinks, nice location (for now), orca cards or parking reimbursement provided, free service (less irate customer complaints)

Cons

executives and management lack focus. it feels like the goal at hand is ever changing with very little consistency. it is also "cliquey" at corporate headquarters, with certain people given special treatment above others depending on who you know. the corporate floor treats the call center floor like dirt or, for lack of a better term, special needs children. the pay could also be better - their bonus structures and pay raises always change and aren't always fair.. tends to go by seniority instead of who's performing the best and doing the most work. also, if you need a vacation all there is is PTO, it's all in one giant pool so you must use it for sick time as well. health benefits are expensive.

this company would benefit from more transparency.. for example, we are moving buildings later this year.. the CEO knows where and has for months but won't tell anyone yet. inexperienced managers who feed into cliques and pick and choose people for different projects, limiting growth that is based on actual knowledge and work ethic, rather, you are rewarded more if you sweet talk the right people. Try treating your employees fairly and professionally and stop breeding a gossipy environment.

Worked for A Place for Mom? Contribute to the Community!