A Place for Mom

Updated September 14, 2014
2.9

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 15 reviews)

• Helping families with major life decisions (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor compensation; draw against commission & no base salary (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover due to unhappy employees at headquarters (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

What a ride!

Current Employee - Head Office  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

APFM has three really great things going for it:

1- The company does good. It helps people in a really hard time in their life (for free!). And on the other side it helps communities fill their room which would otherwise be empty. It's really nice to work for a company where if you do a better job as an employee in your core job you are making the world a better place.

2- The company is doing really well. We've had phenomenal growth rates multiple years in a row. This has meant that people have been promoted along with their abilities. There is no need to worry about your peers taking the limited promotion opportunities. You basically get to do as much as you are able to do (and sometimes more)

3- Related to #2, we have the opportunity to create what this place is becoming. The company is still small enough that every individual still has an impact on what happens. But it's big enough that what happens is a pretty big deal. It's a nice combination.

Some comments on some of the critical comments I've read on here. They seem to fall into 3 groups:
    1- Call Center Employees. I can't comment very well on what it's like to be a call center employee at APFM, but I imagine it's similar to other call centers (and pretty different than being a corporate staff). It would likely make sense to break out the reviews by the two types

2- Advisors in the Field. APFM has over 300 advisors working from home across the country. These people are the core of the business, but they also have a pretty different job than people working in Seattle. They are also held to a pretty high standard (as they are both the face of the company working with families, and the key drivers of company revenue by connecting those families with communities). It takes a unique person who is extremely empathetic working with people is one of the hardest times of their life, and also able to be managed by the numbers (number of calls per day, follow-up rate, warm transfer rate, referral rate, properties per referral, etc. etc.). It doesn't surprise me that some people who are very good at #1, struggle with #2. That seems to be the common complaint when I read through the bad reviews here

3- Head Office Staff. There are a lot less of these, but they seem to be sprinkled through here. A bunch are related to a group of employees that gossiped in each others offices and then all left at once. But there are some legitimate complaints. More on that in the "Cons"

Cons

In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up. No one would blink if a start-up didn't have a great 401-k plan or a gym in the building. But when a Fortune 500 company doesn't have those things people aren't happy. The problem with APFM is it is sitting inbetween those two worlds. Only three years ago APFM was definitely a scrappy start-up trying to make things work. A lot has changed in 3 years, but the systems and processes and benefits are trying to keep up.

401K match was only introduced last year (and it caps out at a relatively low rate). There is still no gym in the building. There is no matching of employee donations. Etc.

The good news is that it does seem to be getting better every year. 401K match WAS added. The year before that they added Long term Care Insurance. Every year the health care plan (which isn't very good) has gotten a little better.

The other issue is that with the constant growth and opportunities comes people who don't advance as quickly. If you are at Amazon and don't get promoted for 5 years you can chalk that up to the way the company works - you can look around you and see that no one is getting promoted. But if you don't get promoted for 5 years at APFM it's harder to say that. You are left having to look at yourself critically or to blame the company. That's hard on anyone I think.

Keep things growing. That will allow us to keep increasing opportunities and benefits for employees, and to help more families.

And then make sure you balance the focus on numbers (which will get us where we want to be) with the focus on people (which is why we are doing what we do)

Great growth opportunity - working on innovative products

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technology investment has increased greatly after new leadership came on board. Vision has resulted in position results and stability has increased greatly.

Cons

Distractions from the core focus of the company (helping families and partners) sometimes get in the way.

Keep investing in the team and we will keep up the 30% growth YOY.

Deceitful

Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being able to help families in need.

Cons

-All they do is lie. They had their call center train an offsite call center. Afterwards they laid us all off. We have been asking them for a year and a half if they were going to outsource our jobs and they kept telling us no! Then out of nowhere on September 12th they called us all in the meeting room and told us they were keeping the outsource call center and laying us all off.

-they are offering all of us hush money in order to keep from telling the media about the insides of the company.

-their purpose is not to help families. Their purpose is to rise revenue and trick families into community's so that they get paid from the community and the community gets the families money

-bottom line THEY ARE CROOKED!!!

Get a heart!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run. Far away.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom for more than a year

Pros

Located in South Lake Union, moving into a new location in the Columbia Tower. Both sites on bus lines.

Cons

Everything else. The benefits are laughable, the products are ready to keel over with accumulated cruft, and management directives from on high change every week.

Even if you don't really want to spend the time talking to your employees about direction and company-wide goals, at least talk to each other so we get the same (constantly changing) message. The whiplash you create would be useful in automobile crash safety tests on test dummies.

Dream job, amazing company...before the "buy out".

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

So many great things...true work hard, play hard culture. Collaborative leadership. The mission and vision. I still believe in the concept. Touching lives and helping those who truly had needs. Worthy work.

Cons

Distinct loss of direction after the buy-out. Those of us that participated in "building" the start up were tossed aside after the new regime came on scene. Many treated as if they were of no value whatsoever.

decent company, but needs direction and focus.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

some (limited) career growth, free coffee/drinks, nice location (for now), orca cards or parking reimbursement provided, free service (less irate customer complaints)

Cons

executives and management lack focus. it feels like the goal at hand is ever changing with very little consistency. it is also "cliquey" at corporate headquarters, with certain people given special treatment above others depending on who you know. the corporate floor treats the call center floor like dirt or, for lack of a better term, special needs children. the pay could also be better - their bonus structures and pay raises always change and aren't always fair.. tends to go by seniority instead of who's performing the best and doing the most work. also, if you need a vacation all there is is PTO, it's all in one giant pool so you must use it for sick time as well. health benefits are expensive.

this company would benefit from more transparency.. for example, we are moving buildings later this year.. the CEO knows where and has for months but won't tell anyone yet. inexperienced managers who feed into cliques and pick and choose people for different projects, limiting growth that is based on actual knowledge and work ethic, rather, you are rewarded more if you sweet talk the right people. Try treating your employees fairly and professionally and stop breeding a gossipy environment.

Great position~ start to Listen

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tons of great points to this position. Love what I do, quality time with hospitals , rehabs and families.

Cons

Management needs to do their job and stay in their division. Big brother hinders growth and it deflates us to do what we are here to do! Work is never balanced!

Hard to explain to someone who has never been in our shoes. Walked our journey for years. You go and hire outside managers who have no concept of our industry or for that matter no art in management.
    Want continuity? Start to listen to the top a Sales team!

Company in transition, not sure where they're going

I have been working at A Place for Mom

Pros

It is a small company so people know your name. The atmosphere is casual and mostly friendly. They have lofty goals and plenty of opportunity.

Cons

There was lots of management churn. Initially I thought it was just a change of key people as their strategy changed, but it seemed to be ongoing with people leaving after only a year or two. Their priorities seemed to be changing on nearly a monthly basis with key direction changing between my interview and first day of work.

Pick a direction and stick with it.

Watch out when you leave

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

None none none none none none none none none none none none none none none none none none

Cons

Read employee manual carefully! They will screw you when you lead. They will not pay you for earned PTO & you have to be employed on the day bonus payout is paid in order to receive. Since it usually isn't paid until about the 20th of the next month you are going to get screwed if you had any move ins. Never have I worked for a company who was so cheap that they wouldn't pay employees what they had earned with their hard work. It is a thank you for your service & they will kick you in butt on way out!

So focused on generating leads, that they don't pay attention employee satisfaction.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is small enough to where you can really get to know people and have a sense of community.

Cons

Sadly, the CEO takes good care of the friends he brought over from his previous companies, and lets the other employees fall by the wayside. His bias is obvious, and his friends' departments tend to see the most money allocated to their needs and receive the most promotions. Good luck seeing any sort of career progression unless you are a part of a team with a manager that is within the CEO's inner circle.

There is SO much focus on leads and move-ins. While this is important and what generates money for the company, APFM is forgetting about how much money they waste every time they have an employee resign, and they have to spend the time and the money to hire, train, and have a new employee fully ramped up. This affects the bottom line too. People are not happy, they are looking for better opportunities, and they are leaving. APFM is churning through employees, and there doesn't seem to be any change in sight. Not only have I seen countless advisors and corporate employees exit the company, but APFM has had two CFOs leave the company in under two years and has been operating without a CFO since January of 2014.

Lastly, APFM is a 14 year old company but they haven't progressed at much of anything other than generating leads. Technology is lacking, management is inexperienced, there's no workforce planning, branding is underwhelming, HR turns a blind eye to so many performance and morale issues, the list goes on...

If you are interested in a career with A Place for Mom, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Pay attention to your employees. You have so many people that have skills that are underutilized and do not get the recognition they deserve. The immense amount of complaints on Glassdoor alone should be a red flag that something is terribly wrong. Foster an environment of engagement, and you'll start to see better results.

Worked for A Place for Mom? Contribute to the Community!