A Place for Mom Reviews

Reset
1.0
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 21 reviews)

• work from home has potential, the broader goal of helping families is a good one (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 6 reviews)

• In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up (in 3 reviews)

Money Hungry

Former Employee - Team Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and convenient location.

Cons

The snooty culture of the corporate office employees was demoralizing, but the way vulnerable customers were "harvested" for their money was appalling. They do not care about their customers or lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Value the original mission of this company, and treat your employees like people for a change

2. Such a shame!

Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor
    Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor

Pros

Welcome tithe world of propaganda. I do not know any advisor that would say "great dual purpose" it is obvious that corporate goes on and adds reviews to keep the ratings up. That is how they operate thier business model overall. Sean kell seems to have integrity but tricke down from there and it is disturbing . Employees are pressured to make a quota when they really have no control on the leads that are sent to them. Management will not show you your market area , if you ask a question about it during a conference call they blank your screen so you can't see it! No transparency and hard to trust them. Worst corporate greed I have ever seen. Most all advisors really are about the families but management only cares about hitting numbers for their bonus and they don't even try to hide it.

Cons

Terrible treatment of employees. They are undervalued and harassed! Just awful management selection! High turn over! Worst leadership I have ever seen and I have seen alot.

Advice to Management

Try a employee survey on how they feel. We do get surveys on name branding and other miscellaneous but they really need to hear about their rm's. There are two or three that are solid and respected but most are terrible. Makes no sense an seems to trickle down!

Senior living Advisor

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working out of your home. A good place to learn the assisted living business and go on from there. Helping people find the proper care and housing for their loved ones.

Cons

Working out of your home means working all the time. Not much contact with your fellow advisors. Unattainable sales quotas for low compensation in a numbers driven matrix . Emotionally draining because you are working with families who either have little or no money to place their loved one in a community or they are in denial and wait until the family member is no longer placeable.

Advice to Management

Set up reasonable quotas and maybe you would not have to hire new sales people every 18 months. Don't hire managers who's only sales experience is in the corporate field selling tangible objects. Keep in mind what you are really selling. This is an emotions based sale and is not predictable by charts, graphs, and numbers.

I worked for APFM in the early days...HORRIBLE !!!

Former Employee - Advisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Advisor in Miami, FL

I worked at A Place for Mom (Less than a year)

Pros

I got a free trip to Seattle...Oh, it took MONTHS to get reimbursed!!! Other than that I don't have anything nice to say about this organization and particularly the management. I stayed longer than I should have believing I was doing great work for people in need...what a crock!!! Management could have cared less about our clients and the service providers we represented...Corrupt from END TO END !!!

Cons

A total SHAM. I still see their adds on TV and wonder how they ever survived? Their service is worthless. Anyone with even modest internet skills can do what their "advisors" do with a whole lot less interference pushing people to do what's in the interest of APFM and NOT their clients, service providers or so called "advisors" who generally know just enough more about the subject than the people who they're serving.

Advice to Management

If it's the same group I worked for originally (SLIME), they should all QUIT and jump into a volcano...Narcissistic PIGS !!! WORK FOR A PLACE FOR MOM AT YOUR OWN PERIL AND NOTE THEIR "EMPLOYEE" TURNOVER HAS BEEN CONSISTENTLY MASSIVE!!!

The worst job I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Outreach Specialist in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Current Employee - Outreach Specialist in Sierra Vista, AZ

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The idea behind the company is great. It is a nice feeling to help out families everyday. Some of the coworkers are nice.

Cons

Everything. Management will ride you so closely you will feel like you cannot breathe. They have previously fired entire work centers with no notice at all. Shady business practices run rampant. From harassment of customers, to harassing the partner communities.

Advice to Management

Figure out your business plan. Treat your employees with respect.

A Place for Mom Response

Jun 10, 2015 – Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with your time at Teleperformance. Our suggestion is that you leave a review on the Glassdoor page for Teleperformance so ... More

You've probably already been laid off

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot actually come up with enough "pros" to meet the 20 word minimum, as there are none. There, I did it!

Cons

If your glowing, 5-star reviews sound like they're written by your marketing team, they probably are. In actuality, this was the worst place I've ever worked. I was associated with their Seattle call center. They had us train a new group of call center reps in another state, assuring us that this was only to take "over flow" and "after hours" calls, and, oh yeah, pay no mind to the fact that the minimum wage where they are was MUCH lower than in Seattle. (Nobody bought that, BTW.) You guessed it, they fired the entire call center and replaced them with the MUCH cheaper group we trained...outsourced! I know it happens frequently, my issue with the situation was the completely unnecessary dishonesty in so many areas. Karma appears to be catching up, however. It usually does eventually.

Advice to Management

Update your resume...I have a feeling you're gonna need it.

Abysmal at best.

Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at A Place for Mom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

not sure there are any... get to work at home is good. Love the idea of a place for mom.

Cons

metric requirements are unrealistic * make us fight for hours but keep hiring more people *you blink and they have changed something, *they do not show you your QA sheets they just tell you what score you got so you have nothing to base your metrics on except their little spreadsheet, *they constantly harangue you for the smallest little things *they do not allow scheduling by seniority or achievement but first come first serve and they make it so that you have no choice but to work all weekend if you want more than 12-14 hours a week *they have streamlined the scripting so much that there is little time for empathy or rapport but they expect to build it in about 4 sentences *their systems are finicky and buggy and they do not pay your for tech issues related to their own systems *the list goes on

Advice to Management

start treating people like people not robots. Let the people who want to work work instead of hiring more people *pay the chat advisors for actually advising and not advising and making calls at the same time so there is not so much wait time for an answer to a question that we get dinged for *stop nit picking and recording it, nobody is perfect all the time!

Managers get your resumes updated

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

used to be so many! Now it's gone to the bloated heads of inexperienced managers. Reactive decision being made by you. Next year You won't even be here, just like the 5 before you in the last three years.

Cons

You will be on that firing line. Don't fret as it happens quarterly. Great comment heard today: Fire the coach when the team doesn't Perform. You don't even have teams, so you aren't a coach! Give yourself a year and get your resume together!

Advice to Management

You know we all work WAY over 40 hours. Your unethical practices will not go unnoticed. You keep firing for reactive reactions and wonder why class action suits get filed. How many fired since sept 14th 2014? 240 employees? How do you all sleep at night? "Stick with us and we will stick with you!" Super Excited now that you are letting 100's of people go and when you sell you leave us all stranded! Shame on you!

Work nights weekends and holidays without pay for a slave shop for 30K w/out a chance of achieving a bonus

Current Employee - SLA
    Current Employee - SLA

Pros

There are no pros, I regret accepting this job and devouting 5 years of my life to these money hungry fake people who only care about "getting the move"! Don't bother making friends with any new hires, they all burn out after making no money and working 65 plus hours a week for 30K, you will only feel worse about it if you get to know them.

Cons

I have been a SLA from my home office for 5 plus years on 1/1/15 after achieving my quoto every qtr in 2014 I was told my base salary is now less 5 grand/ year and my quoto went up 11 percent! Take it or leave it!

Advice to Management

The Seattle managment team consist of 20 and 30 year olds with no experience in the healthhcare seniorcare marketplace. Stop saying "You guys...." on team calls, it is so class less when 95 % of the SLA's are females. You lie about everything and know we all work 66 plus hours a week but you only pay for 40 and now we learn that you listen to us through our laptops when we are not on a phone call. Your goals unattainable and you "set us up for FAILURE" not Success as you keep saying. Base pay of 30K for 65 hours of work is ridiculus and you know it. Stop hounding us to work on paid holidays WITHOUT PAY!

Beware of False Positive Reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The idea of being able to help families find solutions during a very vulnerable time in life. 2. Work life balance. There is not much accountability in any department, and the work load is typically very manageable. 3. Free snacks and coffee.

Cons

There is a clear loss of direction with this company, and senior management is to blame. The CEO only hires Expedia and McKinsey buddies to fill senior management roles, and has an obvious level of discomfort working with women. This company operates as a "start-up" but has been around for over 14 years, and under Sean Kell for over 4. Aside from the lack of promotional and professional growth opportunities, there are several reasons I'd stay away from this company: 1. Career Suicide. There are zero professional growth opportunities within this company, and this ranges from the inability to go to conferences for growth to actual promotions. 2. This is a company that does not treat their employees well. From the lack of transparency to the embarrassing benefits the company "offers" their employees, it is clear that this company does not value their employees. 3. HR is not on your side. HR has done very little to protect its employees by following up with investigations, and unethical practice claims. Instead, they do a very good job in not answering your questions and always protecting the CEO. I also always get nervous when I see HR or Recruiters leave a company I am working at. The Director of Talent Acquisition left the company at the beginning of the year, and six months later two other recruiters (the only two that most of us actually saw in the office) left the company to join major PNW based companies. 4. There is zero accountability, and no cohesiveness amongst departments. Every departments runs as if they are their own entity, and answer to no one. Each department operates off of their own interpretation of what they think the company's "mission statement" is and that is why there is a lack of overall direction. 5. No workforce planning or transparency in company direction. 6. The OBVIOUS false reviews that were posted. It is disgusting when companies try to decisive potential candidates to work for their company but even more so when they bribe their current employees to make false posts on review sites such as this. The false reviews discredits the overall integrity of review sites like Glassdoor. It is obvious that the recent influx of "positive" reviews (all posted within the same month and time frame, mind you) were from senior management trying to change the overall ratings. As someone who has worked with the corporate staff, I can tell you right now this is just a small example of what the senior management team thinks is appropriate to do. 7. Everyone is a "Director of Operations" - There are at least 5 people with that title and nobody understands why or what they do. When you ask the recruiters who the new Director of Ops is they just laugh and ask which one? Not a good sign...

Advice to Management

Be transparent, be ethical and actually stick to the mission that the founders set forth because you are touching lives and not in a positive way.

RSS Feed </> Embed