A Place for Mom

Updated November 16, 2014
2.9

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 23 reviews)

• This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 5 reviews)

• The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care. The work we do is FREE for families and they are very appreciative of the service we provide.
    Work from HOME. No traffic, no commute, and you can really focus on working in a FUN, virtual environment.
    PAY for performance. If you work hard and follow the sales guidelines and policies you can meet and/or exceed your goals and make excellent money.

Cons

It is a real JOB and with that is a lot of responsibility. The corporate office is in Seattle and all the field Advisors are the "face of APFM". They represent all of us, and if someone is not professional it reflects poorly on everyone.
    The work is not for everyone. You must be self-motivated and understand the structure in place to ensure SUCCESS.

You do an amazing job making everyone feel a vital part of the business culture at APFM. More sales spiffs and prizes to help with engagement of remote employees might result in greater achievement.

Instill more accountability to protect the GREAT employees. Negativity can be quickly damaging in the field with our partner communities.

This job has been a great experience so far - it's a dynamic company that has transformed itself over the past few years

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are definitely opportunities for personal advancement here for people who want to reach out and take on new challenges or even branch out into other areas to gain experience. Also, the ultimate goal of the company - to help families - is an extra bonus while still working for a company that satisfies the corporate shareholders as well with increasing revenues.

Cons

The location isn't great - traffic is bad and nowhere good to have lunch - but the company is moving to Columbia Center at the end of the year and that should remedy those two issues.

Keep having the monthly meetings - those are great touch base times. I feel like the layout of the office isn't great for collaboration and "water cooler" meetings - hopefully the new building will have a better design.

A Place for Mom Response

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback! We are keeping the monthly meeting and have changed up the agenda to include more updates. Also, we recently launched an internal monthly newsletter to communicate more ... More

Great company where you can make a significant impact on both the business and supporting families in need of help.

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living. The right size company to make an immediate impact. Team oriented. Talented and passionate employees.

Marketing team is growing and in need of talented new members for our SEO and brand teams. Many opportunities to continue to expand our reach and create new platforms in our mission to help Seniors and their families.

Cons

Overall, great compensation and benefits, but catching up to some bigger companies in a few areas. The good news is the company culture is evolving and the organization is investing in these areas.

Keep going.

A Place for Mom Response

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback and review. We’re committed to investing in our culture and are pleased you’ve seen the positive impact.

An incredible transformation

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every role matters here. The company is experiencing high growth which means there's simply too much to do, which is great for job security and career acceleration. If you do well, there many opportunities for advancement. A lot of new roles have been internal promotions.

The people are the greatest in the world. They are smart, compassionate, reasonable, innovative, and inspiring. We hang out together outside of work, and actually enjoy it. I would work with my team at any other company.

The dual mission is pretty unique. It's not just about "hitting your numbers" or "exceeding budget", but about "helping more families" and "uplifting lives". You can view your job as a corporate role, or as a social position, or even as part of the healthcare system. Many think of their job as all three.

Cons

The transition under the new ownership has been challenging. Many people have had their job descriptions change, the founding team has departed, the original branding is being modernized, and most importantly, all the toxic relationships that were inherited are slowly being mended. It's been painful and there have been a couple missteps, but the company is certainly moving in the right direction and is evolving into a top place to work and accelerating their market leading position.

There is a tight knit group at the top that has been through the trenches together before, so don't count on being part of that trusted circle from day 1. But the leadership is a meritocracy, so do good work, be kind, and have a sense of humor and fun and the circle will expand for you.

Stay focused on the dual mission, hiring great people, and making APFM a great place to work.

What a ride!

Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

APFM has three really great things going for it:

1- The company does good. It helps people in a really hard time in their life (for free!). And on the other side it helps communities fill their room which would otherwise be empty. It's really nice to work for a company where if you do a better job as an employee in your core job you are making the world a better place.

2- The company is doing really well. We've had phenomenal growth rates multiple years in a row. This has meant that people have been promoted along with their abilities. There is no need to worry about your peers taking the limited promotion opportunities. You basically get to do as much as you are able to do (and sometimes more)

3- Related to #2, we have the opportunity to create what this place is becoming. The company is still small enough that every individual still has an impact on what happens. But it's big enough that what happens is a pretty big deal. It's a nice combination.

Some comments on some of the critical comments I've read on here. They seem to fall into 3 groups:
    1- Call Center Employees. I can't comment very well on what it's like to be a call center employee at APFM, but I imagine it's similar to other call centers (and pretty different than being a corporate staff). It would likely make sense to break out the reviews by the two types

2- Advisors in the Field. APFM has over 300 advisors working from home across the country. These people are the core of the business, but they also have a pretty different job than people working in Seattle. They are also held to a pretty high standard (as they are both the face of the company working with families, and the key drivers of company revenue by connecting those families with communities). It takes a unique person who is extremely empathetic working with people is one of the hardest times of their life, and also able to be managed by the numbers (number of calls per day, follow-up rate, warm transfer rate, referral rate, properties per referral, etc. etc.). It doesn't surprise me that some people who are very good at #1, struggle with #2. That seems to be the common complaint when I read through the bad reviews here

3- Head Office Staff. There are a lot less of these, but they seem to be sprinkled through here. A bunch are related to a group of employees that gossiped in each others offices and then all left at once. But there are some legitimate complaints. More on that in the "Cons"

Cons

In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up. No one would blink if a start-up didn't have a great 401-k plan or a gym in the building. But when a Fortune 500 company doesn't have those things people aren't happy. The problem with APFM is it is sitting inbetween those two worlds. Only three years ago APFM was definitely a scrappy start-up trying to make things work. A lot has changed in 3 years, but the systems and processes and benefits are trying to keep up.

401K match was only introduced last year (and it caps out at a relatively low rate). There is still no gym in the building. There is no matching of employee donations. Etc.

The good news is that it does seem to be getting better every year. 401K match WAS added. The year before that they added Long term Care Insurance. Every year the health care plan (which isn't very good) has gotten a little better.

The other issue is that with the constant growth and opportunities comes people who don't advance as quickly. If you are at Amazon and don't get promoted for 5 years you can chalk that up to the way the company works - you can look around you and see that no one is getting promoted. But if you don't get promoted for 5 years at APFM it's harder to say that. You are left having to look at yourself critically or to blame the company. That's hard on anyone I think.

Keep things growing. That will allow us to keep increasing opportunities and benefits for employees, and to help more families.

And then make sure you balance the focus on numbers (which will get us where we want to be) with the focus on people (which is why we are doing what we do)

Dream job, amazing company...before the "buy out".

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

So many great things...true work hard, play hard culture. Collaborative leadership. The mission and vision. I still believe in the concept. Touching lives and helping those who truly had needs. Worthy work.

Cons

Distinct loss of direction after the buy-out. Those of us that participated in "building" the start up were tossed aside after the new regime came on scene. Many treated as if they were of no value whatsoever.

Wonderful and promising

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

If you truly work hard and share your want to grow within the company, the supervisors will support you and assist where needed to help you reach your goals.

Cons

Communication isn't always the best between departments, but message eventually gets delivered, nonetheless.

Continue giving surveys where employees can anonymously voice their opinions, otherwise you may never know how someone really feels.

Great company and career opportunities !

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

management is amazing, training is exceptional, work from home, flexibility, truly helping families in a time of need

Cons

Benefits could be much better

Fast Growing Company with Great Senior Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There are a ton of changes going on within this organization, and the senior leadership is doing an excellent job of navigating the senior living space by hiring talented folks with experience in e-commerce, healthcare and growth stage tech companies. As a result, this is a great place to hit the ground running, take on responsibility and help a great company become even better.

Cons

Depending on the size and level of organization you are comfortable with, APFM's early-stage attitude and willingness to change things up might be too much for you.

Keep up the good work!

Fast growing, fast changing company

Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has changed dramatically since new management arrived 2 years ago.
    The company is in the process of moving from a start-up to "playing with the big boys". In the last two years we have created a full reporting suite and enterprise-data-warehouse; created a national accounts partner team; created a national partner growth team; grew a call center from less than 30 people to more than 150; completely changed the culture and pay structure of over 200 in-field advisers, reducing employee churn to almost zero; created a marketing team (in the old world marketing sat under finance if you can believe it!)

Through it all we've managed to keep our focus on helping families and the company mission.

It's not often you get to combine hard work and huge impact with doing a lot of good in the world.

Cons

Through the changes of the past two years some people have been left behind.
    Many people were hired into roles that made sense when the company was a small start-up, but they had difficulty as the company became more focused on things like metrics and "deliverables".

As these people struggled in their roles they blamed others (I think that's what's going on in some of the reviews by ex-employees on here). That poisoned the culture a little as we all went through the transition. I think with the hiring of a new CFO and CIO this seems to have been solved, but only the next few months will tell.

Also: Career Opportunities are a mix-bag. As a fast growing company there are lots of opportunities for growth, but at the same time, it's still a small company and will never have the laundry list job board that a giant Fortune 500 would have. You have to be a little more patient for something that fits your exact right skills.

Keep lines of communication open.
    More feedback earlier is always better - especially for the people who are excelling in their jobs so they know they are doing well and can focus on the things that matter.