A Place for Mom

Updated September 17, 2014
2.7

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 15 reviews)

• Helping families with major life decisions (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor compensation; draw against commission & no base salary (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover due to unhappy employees at headquarters (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

What a ride!

Current Employee - Head Office  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

APFM has three really great things going for it:

1- The company does good. It helps people in a really hard time in their life (for free!). And on the other side it helps communities fill their room which would otherwise be empty. It's really nice to work for a company where if you do a better job as an employee in your core job you are making the world a better place.

2- The company is doing really well. We've had phenomenal growth rates multiple years in a row. This has meant that people have been promoted along with their abilities. There is no need to worry about your peers taking the limited promotion opportunities. You basically get to do as much as you are able to do (and sometimes more)

3- Related to #2, we have the opportunity to create what this place is becoming. The company is still small enough that every individual still has an impact on what happens. But it's big enough that what happens is a pretty big deal. It's a nice combination.

Some comments on some of the critical comments I've read on here. They seem to fall into 3 groups:
    1- Call Center Employees. I can't comment very well on what it's like to be a call center employee at APFM, but I imagine it's similar to other call centers (and pretty different than being a corporate staff). It would likely make sense to break out the reviews by the two types

2- Advisors in the Field. APFM has over 300 advisors working from home across the country. These people are the core of the business, but they also have a pretty different job than people working in Seattle. They are also held to a pretty high standard (as they are both the face of the company working with families, and the key drivers of company revenue by connecting those families with communities). It takes a unique person who is extremely empathetic working with people is one of the hardest times of their life, and also able to be managed by the numbers (number of calls per day, follow-up rate, warm transfer rate, referral rate, properties per referral, etc. etc.). It doesn't surprise me that some people who are very good at #1, struggle with #2. That seems to be the common complaint when I read through the bad reviews here

3- Head Office Staff. There are a lot less of these, but they seem to be sprinkled through here. A bunch are related to a group of employees that gossiped in each others offices and then all left at once. But there are some legitimate complaints. More on that in the "Cons"

Cons

In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up. No one would blink if a start-up didn't have a great 401-k plan or a gym in the building. But when a Fortune 500 company doesn't have those things people aren't happy. The problem with APFM is it is sitting inbetween those two worlds. Only three years ago APFM was definitely a scrappy start-up trying to make things work. A lot has changed in 3 years, but the systems and processes and benefits are trying to keep up.

401K match was only introduced last year (and it caps out at a relatively low rate). There is still no gym in the building. There is no matching of employee donations. Etc.

The good news is that it does seem to be getting better every year. 401K match WAS added. The year before that they added Long term Care Insurance. Every year the health care plan (which isn't very good) has gotten a little better.

The other issue is that with the constant growth and opportunities comes people who don't advance as quickly. If you are at Amazon and don't get promoted for 5 years you can chalk that up to the way the company works - you can look around you and see that no one is getting promoted. But if you don't get promoted for 5 years at APFM it's harder to say that. You are left having to look at yourself critically or to blame the company. That's hard on anyone I think.

Keep things growing. That will allow us to keep increasing opportunities and benefits for employees, and to help more families.

And then make sure you balance the focus on numbers (which will get us where we want to be) with the focus on people (which is why we are doing what we do)

Dream job, amazing company...before the "buy out".

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

So many great things...true work hard, play hard culture. Collaborative leadership. The mission and vision. I still believe in the concept. Touching lives and helping those who truly had needs. Worthy work.

Cons

Distinct loss of direction after the buy-out. Those of us that participated in "building" the start up were tossed aside after the new regime came on scene. Many treated as if they were of no value whatsoever.

Wonderful and promising

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

If you truly work hard and share your want to grow within the company, the supervisors will support you and assist where needed to help you reach your goals.

Cons

Communication isn't always the best between departments, but message eventually gets delivered, nonetheless.

Continue giving surveys where employees can anonymously voice their opinions, otherwise you may never know how someone really feels.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company and career opportunities !

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor  in  Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

management is amazing, training is exceptional, work from home, flexibility, truly helping families in a time of need

Cons

Benefits could be much better

Fast Growing Company with Great Senior Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There are a ton of changes going on within this organization, and the senior leadership is doing an excellent job of navigating the senior living space by hiring talented folks with experience in e-commerce, healthcare and growth stage tech companies. As a result, this is a great place to hit the ground running, take on responsibility and help a great company become even better.

Cons

Depending on the size and level of organization you are comfortable with, APFM's early-stage attitude and willingness to change things up might be too much for you.

Keep up the good work!

Fast growing, fast changing company

Current Employee - Corporate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has changed dramatically since new management arrived 2 years ago.
    The company is in the process of moving from a start-up to "playing with the big boys". In the last two years we have created a full reporting suite and enterprise-data-warehouse; created a national accounts partner team; created a national partner growth team; grew a call center from less than 30 people to more than 150; completely changed the culture and pay structure of over 200 in-field advisers, reducing employee churn to almost zero; created a marketing team (in the old world marketing sat under finance if you can believe it!)

Through it all we've managed to keep our focus on helping families and the company mission.

It's not often you get to combine hard work and huge impact with doing a lot of good in the world.

Cons

Through the changes of the past two years some people have been left behind.
    Many people were hired into roles that made sense when the company was a small start-up, but they had difficulty as the company became more focused on things like metrics and "deliverables".

As these people struggled in their roles they blamed others (I think that's what's going on in some of the reviews by ex-employees on here). That poisoned the culture a little as we all went through the transition. I think with the hiring of a new CFO and CIO this seems to have been solved, but only the next few months will tell.

Also: Career Opportunities are a mix-bag. As a fast growing company there are lots of opportunities for growth, but at the same time, it's still a small company and will never have the laundry list job board that a giant Fortune 500 would have. You have to be a little more patient for something that fits your exact right skills.

Keep lines of communication open.
    More feedback earlier is always better - especially for the people who are excelling in their jobs so they know they are doing well and can focus on the things that matter.

Great company that is growing and helping people - hiring in Seattle and expanding nationwide

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

APFM has made tremendous strides in the past year to improve the business, the culture and the future of the company. The company is hiring advisors and new employees in the HQ. Some of the "old-timers" were not happy with the new corporate strategy, and they left the company, but I think the new company direction and values are great. We have a great company now and are having our best year ever. It's so great to work for a company that helps people and we know APFM will be around for years to come.

Cons

Benefits are not as good as some big companies, but that's expected at a small company.

Keep focusing on helping people and giving employees opportunities to do more and grow in their careers.

Working with A Players lifts my skills every day

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

~ Amazing product / service. Our families love us and I feel good each day knowing I've helped someone
    ~ Top management team. Each person is wickedly smart and my skiills / knowledge increases daily
    ~ Rapidly growing company and industry. Truly exciting to work here and help shape the future of senior housing
    ~ Opportunity to make decisions and have a positive impact on a daily basis

Cons

~ There is a lot going on and sometimes it is hard to stay focused
    ~ Benefits could be better, especially healthcare

Fun and Promising Place to Work!

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Intelligent colleagues
    - Flexible schedule
    - Internal promotion
    - Great technology
    - Great location overlooking Lake Union

Cons

- Not enough inter-departmental interaction
    - Poor selection of places to eat in the immediate vicinity. A downtown location would be more accessible for most workers too.

- Greater emphasis on the positive impact we have on people's lives.

Great Team; Great Opportunity

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Collaborative team
    - Trying new things and fixing problems is encouraged and supported
    - A lot of transparency into the business's direction
    - Helpful service for families
    - Rapidly growing market

Cons

- No frills insurance
    - No 401(K) matching

- May want to consider some corporate training
    - More recognition for good work would help
    - Keep up the open transparency

Worked for A Place for Mom? Contribute to the Community!