A Place for Mom

Updated July 23, 2014

2.7

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 15 reviews)

• Helping families with major life decisions (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor compensation; draw against commission & no base salary (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover due to unhappy employees at headquarters (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Dream job, amazing company...before the "buy out".

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

Pros

So many great things...true work hard, play hard culture. Collaborative leadership. The mission and vision. I still believe in the concept. Touching lives and helping those who truly had needs. Worthy work.

Cons

Distinct loss of direction after the buy-out. Those of us that participated in "building" the start up were tossed aside after the new regime came on scene. Many treated as if they were of no value whatsoever.

Wonderful and promising

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

If you truly work hard and share your want to grow within the company, the supervisors will support you and assist where needed to help you reach your goals.

Cons

Communication isn't always the best between departments, but message eventually gets delivered, nonetheless.

Continue giving surveys where employees can anonymously voice their opinions, otherwise you may never know how someone really feels.

Great company and career opportunities !

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor  in  Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Toms River, NJ

Pros

management is amazing, training is exceptional, work from home, flexibility, truly helping families in a time of need

Cons

Benefits could be much better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast Growing Company with Great Senior Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

There are a ton of changes going on within this organization, and the senior leadership is doing an excellent job of navigating the senior living space by hiring talented folks with experience in e-commerce, healthcare and growth stage tech companies. As a result, this is a great place to hit the ground running, take on responsibility and help a great company become even better.

Cons

Depending on the size and level of organization you are comfortable with, APFM's early-stage attitude and willingness to change things up might be too much for you.

Keep up the good work!

Fast growing, fast changing company

Current Employee - Corporate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA

Pros

The company has changed dramatically since new management arrived 2 years ago.
    The company is in the process of moving from a start-up to "playing with the big boys". In the last two years we have created a full reporting suite and enterprise-data-warehouse; created a national accounts partner team; created a national partner growth team; grew a call center from less than 30 people to more than 150; completely changed the culture and pay structure of over 200 in-field advisers, reducing employee churn to almost zero; created a marketing team (in the old world marketing sat under finance if you can believe it!)

Through it all we've managed to keep our focus on helping families and the company mission.

It's not often you get to combine hard work and huge impact with doing a lot of good in the world.

Cons

Through the changes of the past two years some people have been left behind.
    Many people were hired into roles that made sense when the company was a small start-up, but they had difficulty as the company became more focused on things like metrics and "deliverables".

As these people struggled in their roles they blamed others (I think that's what's going on in some of the reviews by ex-employees on here). That poisoned the culture a little as we all went through the transition. I think with the hiring of a new CFO and CIO this seems to have been solved, but only the next few months will tell.

Also: Career Opportunities are a mix-bag. As a fast growing company there are lots of opportunities for growth, but at the same time, it's still a small company and will never have the laundry list job board that a giant Fortune 500 would have. You have to be a little more patient for something that fits your exact right skills.

Keep lines of communication open.
    More feedback earlier is always better - especially for the people who are excelling in their jobs so they know they are doing well and can focus on the things that matter.

Great company that is growing and helping people - hiring in Seattle and expanding nationwide

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

APFM has made tremendous strides in the past year to improve the business, the culture and the future of the company. The company is hiring advisors and new employees in the HQ. Some of the "old-timers" were not happy with the new corporate strategy, and they left the company, but I think the new company direction and values are great. We have a great company now and are having our best year ever. It's so great to work for a company that helps people and we know APFM will be around for years to come.

Cons

Benefits are not as good as some big companies, but that's expected at a small company.

Keep focusing on helping people and giving employees opportunities to do more and grow in their careers.

Working with A Players lifts my skills every day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

~ Amazing product / service. Our families love us and I feel good each day knowing I've helped someone
    ~ Top management team. Each person is wickedly smart and my skiills / knowledge increases daily
    ~ Rapidly growing company and industry. Truly exciting to work here and help shape the future of senior housing
    ~ Opportunity to make decisions and have a positive impact on a daily basis

Cons

~ There is a lot going on and sometimes it is hard to stay focused
    ~ Benefits could be better, especially healthcare

Fun and Promising Place to Work!

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

- Intelligent colleagues
    - Flexible schedule
    - Internal promotion
    - Great technology
    - Great location overlooking Lake Union

Cons

- Not enough inter-departmental interaction
    - Poor selection of places to eat in the immediate vicinity. A downtown location would be more accessible for most workers too.

- Greater emphasis on the positive impact we have on people's lives.

Great Team; Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

- Collaborative team
    - Trying new things and fixing problems is encouraged and supported
    - A lot of transparency into the business's direction
    - Helpful service for families
    - Rapidly growing market

Cons

- No frills insurance
    - No 401(K) matching

- May want to consider some corporate training
    - More recognition for good work would help
    - Keep up the open transparency

My experience at A Place For Mom has been my best experience so far, in a long working career.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

A Place For Mom represents 'the right idea at the right time' - the company mission is to help families find senior care options that are right, both for the family and for the senior. The Senior Care world is growing rapidly as our population ages and life expectancies increase. Working at A Place For Mom represents an opportunity to really help people, and to at the same time, to work for a successful, growing company that is expanding and hiring, even in the present difficult economic environment. Since I began working here a little over 3 years ago I've had the opportunity to work in several different departments and have been promoted twice! I've had an opportunity to learn and grow with the company and my experience base and income have benefited accordingly - I feel very fortunate to work for this company!

Cons

I believe we as a company have learned a lot in recent years, and management has made significant improvements in the areas of training & development, and in compensation in the last 9 months - unfortunately there was a time when Eldercare Advisors in the field were paid on a comission basis and that did not work well for a number of folks. I feel like, based on what I've seen in the last year, that the 'cons' are behind us and that things will get even better going forward.

I feel like Management is pretty transparent and I believe there is great value in continuing and even expanding that transparency.

Worked for A Place for Mom? Contribute to the Community!