A Place for Mom

Updated November 23, 2014
2.8

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 21 reviews)

• This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 6 reviews)

• The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for who has made such positive advances.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home, opportunity for advancement, great income potential, ability to help families in need.

Cons

No face to face interaction with your co workers- you have to stay in touch with the phone!

Keep up the great work - you are taking us to places we never thought we would go!

Beware of False Positive Reviews

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. The idea of being able to help families find solutions during a very vulnerable time in life.
    2. Work life balance. There is not much accountability in any department, and the work load is typically very manageable.
    3. Free snacks and coffee.

Cons

There is a clear loss of direction with this company, and senior management is to blame. The CEO only hires Expedia and McKinsey buddies to fill senior management roles, and has an obvious level of discomfort working with women. This company operates as a "start-up" but has been around for over 14 years, and under Sean Kell for over 4. Aside from the lack of promotional and professional growth opportunities, there are several reasons I'd stay away from this company:

1. Career Suicide. There are zero professional growth opportunities within this company, and this ranges from the inability to go to conferences for growth to actual promotions.
    2. This is a company that does not treat their employees well. From the lack of transparency to the embarrassing benefits the company "offers" their employees, it is clear that this company does not value their employees.
    3. HR is not on your side. HR has done very little to protect its employees by following up with investigations, and unethical practice claims. Instead, they do a very good job in not answering your questions and always protecting the CEO. I also always get nervous when I see HR or Recruiters leave a company I am working at. The Director of Talent Acquisition left the company at the beginning of the year, and six months later two other recruiters (the only two that most of us actually saw in the office) left the company to join major PNW based companies.
    4. There is zero accountability, and no cohesiveness amongst departments. Every departments runs as if they are their own entity, and answer to no one. Each department operates off of their own interpretation of what they think the company's "mission statement" is and that is why there is a lack of overall direction.
    5. No workforce planning or transparency in company direction.
    6. The OBVIOUS false reviews that were posted. It is disgusting when companies try to decisive potential candidates to work for their company but even more so when they bribe their current employees to make false posts on review sites such as this. The false reviews discredits the overall integrity of review sites like Glassdoor. It is obvious that the recent influx of "positive" reviews (all posted within the same month and time frame, mind you) were from senior management trying to change the overall ratings. As someone who has worked with the corporate staff, I can tell you right now this is just a small example of what the senior management team thinks is appropriate to do.
    7. Everyone is a "Director of Operations" - There are at least 5 people with that title and nobody understands why or what they do. When you ask the recruiters who the new Director of Ops is they just laugh and ask which one? Not a good sign...

Be transparent, be ethical and actually stick to the mission that the founders set forth because you are touching lives and not in a positive way.

Great place to work if you have the right pedigree

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What seems to be a noble purpose...helping our aging population and many do get helped.

Cons

Unfortunately the noble purpose gets lost in the hiring only from Expedia and McKinsey to line the pockets of friends for when they do their IPO. The other reviews on the site are clearly written by the higher levels in the company who will prosper. the truth is, it is toxic culture and many of the communities they say they are partners with would rather not do business with them, but find that they are a necessary evil.

Follow the noble purpose of the business...

Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care. The work we do is FREE for families and they are very appreciative of the service we provide.
    Work from HOME. No traffic, no commute, and you can really focus on working in a FUN, virtual environment.
    PAY for performance. If you work hard and follow the sales guidelines and policies you can meet and/or exceed your goals and make excellent money.

Cons

It is a real JOB and with that is a lot of responsibility. The corporate office is in Seattle and all the field Advisors are the "face of APFM". They represent all of us, and if someone is not professional it reflects poorly on everyone.
    The work is not for everyone. You must be self-motivated and understand the structure in place to ensure SUCCESS.

You do an amazing job making everyone feel a vital part of the business culture at APFM. More sales spiffs and prizes to help with engagement of remote employees might result in greater achievement.

Instill more accountability to protect the GREAT employees. Negativity can be quickly damaging in the field with our partner communities.

I regret what I did for this company

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing redeeming about this company or the jobs at this place.

Cons

I was asked to do things I regret, including writing positive job responses to post on this and other web sites. The company is misleading so many people. I regret what I have done. I was only trying to earn a living, but I now realize that I did it at the expense of others.

In your eagerness to earn money, you forget that there are people connected to the phone calls the phone center is taking. You are negatively impacting the lives of so many people all in the name of earning money.

I want my year back !

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work from home has potential, the broader goal of helping families is a good one

Cons

along with work from home your seemingly always on duty. Business practices and models are somewhat deceptive
    interest in helping seniors stops and is driven by $$$$. Yes we help some but irritate so many more by the telemarketing practices. This company process data and numbers employees and families are all secondary to the numbers and profit . Joan Lunden should really rethink this endorsement....not a smart long term association

Leave, then promote more ideas from within the ranks of those actually doing the job.
    be more forthright with your employees. Stop flying by the seat of your pants

This job has been a great experience so far - it's a dynamic company that has transformed itself over the past few years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are definitely opportunities for personal advancement here for people who want to reach out and take on new challenges or even branch out into other areas to gain experience. Also, the ultimate goal of the company - to help families - is an extra bonus while still working for a company that satisfies the corporate shareholders as well with increasing revenues.

Cons

The location isn't great - traffic is bad and nowhere good to have lunch - but the company is moving to Columbia Center at the end of the year and that should remedy those two issues.

Keep having the monthly meetings - those are great touch base times. I feel like the layout of the office isn't great for collaboration and "water cooler" meetings - hopefully the new building will have a better design.

A Place for Mom Response

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback! We are keeping the monthly meeting and have changed up the agenda to include more updates. Also, we recently launched an internal monthly newsletter to communicate more ... More

The Haves and the Have Nots

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Near the end of my employment there, the management changed over and it looked like we all might be moving in the right direction.

Cons

We all went to meeting after meeting telling us about this beautiful new workspace that we would move to by the end of the year. It would be wonderful! Workout room, beautiful building, great places to eat, etc. Then the bottom fell out. After building us all up with this hype, the powers that be who live in their Ivory tower on the floor just above us, decided two months before the move to lay off all of the Customer Service agents and their supervisors. It was a shock and a shame. Why did they tell us all about these great new things coming in the future only to pull the wool out from under our feet?

Take more time to connect with your employees who are not in management, and for the love of God, tell them the truth!

All about profit and data / Not families or employees

Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very data focused company and growing fast. In a great industry that needs help. Very smart data team but lacks emotional intelligence.

Cons

Internal culture is toxic. People swear in meetings at many companies, but only at A Place for Mom do people swear directly at you. Also, the turnover in Sr Leadership roles is incredible. There is no focus on your own development and no partnership in that process.

In addition, the families/seniors who they work with are referred to as being 'harvested' in the sales process. This only demonstrates how disconnected the senior leadership team is from doing the right thing for its clients/customers.

Great coworkers horrible company culture

Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator
    Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, parking reimbursement, free coffee

Cons

Sneaky company, will keep you in the dark and screw you over the first chance they get.