A Place for Mom

Updated November 23, 2014
2.8

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time (in 21 reviews)

• This is a SALES organization, however, the sale is actually helping families/seniors find senior care (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 6 reviews)

• The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work if you have the right pedigree

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What seems to be a noble purpose...helping our aging population and many do get helped.

Cons

Unfortunately the noble purpose gets lost in the hiring only from Expedia and McKinsey to line the pockets of friends for when they do their IPO. The other reviews on the site are clearly written by the higher levels in the company who will prosper. the truth is, it is toxic culture and many of the communities they say they are partners with would rather not do business with them, but find that they are a necessary evil.

Follow the noble purpose of the business...

All about profit and data / Not families or employees

Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very data focused company and growing fast. In a great industry that needs help. Very smart data team but lacks emotional intelligence.

Cons

Internal culture is toxic. People swear in meetings at many companies, but only at A Place for Mom do people swear directly at you. Also, the turnover in Sr Leadership roles is incredible. There is no focus on your own development and no partnership in that process.

In addition, the families/seniors who they work with are referred to as being 'harvested' in the sales process. This only demonstrates how disconnected the senior leadership team is from doing the right thing for its clients/customers.

I regret what I did for this company

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing redeeming about this company or the jobs at this place.

Cons

I was asked to do things I regret, including writing positive job responses to post on this and other web sites. The company is misleading so many people. I regret what I have done. I was only trying to earn a living, but I now realize that I did it at the expense of others.

In your eagerness to earn money, you forget that there are people connected to the phone calls the phone center is taking. You are negatively impacting the lives of so many people all in the name of earning money.

I want my year back !

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work from home has potential, the broader goal of helping families is a good one

Cons

along with work from home your seemingly always on duty. Business practices and models are somewhat deceptive
    interest in helping seniors stops and is driven by $$$$. Yes we help some but irritate so many more by the telemarketing practices. This company process data and numbers employees and families are all secondary to the numbers and profit . Joan Lunden should really rethink this endorsement....not a smart long term association

Leave, then promote more ideas from within the ranks of those actually doing the job.
    be more forthright with your employees. Stop flying by the seat of your pants

The Haves and the Have Nots

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Near the end of my employment there, the management changed over and it looked like we all might be moving in the right direction.

Cons

We all went to meeting after meeting telling us about this beautiful new workspace that we would move to by the end of the year. It would be wonderful! Workout room, beautiful building, great places to eat, etc. Then the bottom fell out. After building us all up with this hype, the powers that be who live in their Ivory tower on the floor just above us, decided two months before the move to lay off all of the Customer Service agents and their supervisors. It was a shock and a shame. Why did they tell us all about these great new things coming in the future only to pull the wool out from under our feet?

Take more time to connect with your employees who are not in management, and for the love of God, tell them the truth!

Great coworkers horrible company culture

Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator
    Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, parking reimbursement, free coffee

Cons

Sneaky company, will keep you in the dark and screw you over the first chance they get.

Cleaning the feces of Ebola patients is a better job!

Former Employee - SLA in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - SLA in Dallas, TX

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home
    Keeping big Pharma in business. You WILL need to be medicated to work here

Cons

Terrible leadership and completely delusional Executives. They have an entire department called the "thinking department". They favor advisors based on the quantity of work rather than quality. They do not have seniors best interest at heart and are nothing but greedy, brainwashing power mongers. Unless you are one of their few chosen ones you can't make a living wage.

Get rid of all current Executives, burn the corporate office down and find a new line of work. Oh yeah...Suck it!

Management is clueless

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home, helping seniors

Cons

Expected to work many nights and weekends, a 50-55 hr a week job but they are cheap and won't approve over time so most of the time you are working over 40 hours but not able to log the hours because they won't approve over time but there isn't enough time in a 40 hour week to get everything done and meet their high expectations. Management emphasizes on how they "coach" employees, but their "coaching" in micro managing and making employees send them lists of things they could look up on their own. Training is poor. You start off with a 2 week training but then you are left high and dry and the managers never continue any training because most of them are not even living in the region and don't even know the markets.

Focus more on learning the different markets state by state, learn how to actually train an employee instead of sending "hooray" emails hourly.

Deceitful

Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to help families in need.

Cons

-All they do is lie. They had their call center train an offsite call center. Afterwards they laid us all off. We have been asking them for a year and a half if they were going to outsource our jobs and they kept telling us no! Then out of nowhere on September 12th they called us all in the meeting room and told us they were keeping the outsource call center and laying us all off.

-they are offering all of us hush money in order to keep from telling the media about the insides of the company.

-their purpose is not to help families. Their purpose is to rise revenue and trick families into community's so that they get paid from the community and the community gets the families money

-bottom line THEY ARE CROOKED!!!

Get a heart!

Run. Far away.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom (more than an year)

Pros

Located in South Lake Union, moving into a new location in the Columbia Tower. Both sites on bus lines.

Cons

Everything else. The benefits are laughable, the products are ready to keel over with accumulated cruft, and management directives from on high change every week.

Even if you don't really want to spend the time talking to your employees about direction and company-wide goals, at least talk to each other so we get the same (constantly changing) message. The whiplash you create would be useful in automobile crash safety tests on test dummies.