A Place for Mom

Updated July 23, 2014

2.7

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 15 reviews)

• Helping families with major life decisions (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor compensation; draw against commission & no base salary (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover due to unhappy employees at headquarters (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Expected to do a lot for little

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

Pros

Get to actually help families with real life situations and act as a true resource and guide for many families

Cons

Once you start to take leads, you're scrutinized with your production, and working an inconsistent phone schedule. A challenging work life balance if you have a family.

A salary of $30K for the amount of time needed to get going isn't justified. Also a mileage reimbursement of .20/mile is ridiculous.

A Complete sham of a company

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

Pros

None, maybe to fill up resume space

Cons

Too many to list. I had the nastiest group leader, completely condescending and rude which made for a most unpleasant environment. I was compelled by the mission, but in practice you desperately stalk people via phone and try to "advise" them, or steer them to where you get commissions. No one follows up with you. It's a ridiculous concept. 85% of my class was gone when I gave up after a few months. 10 cents a mile for travel. That may not buy me water, never mind gas. Someone will profit from all this, rest assured it will not be YOU.

Hire real reps and pay them hourly. I worked for China wages and was a slave to my desk.

False promises! Big dissapointment

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor

Pros

Helping families with major life decisions. Home office.

Cons

No support from fellow advisors. Unrealistic expectations.

Listen to the advisors who work with the families and partners each day.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Experience, Ever

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA

Pros

Work from home and helping families.

Cons

For any serious sales professional this company is a joke. I was a 6+ figure sales professional in real estate who concentrated on the senior market. I was a "perfect" (according to my recruiter) match for this company. They will find any way possible to not pay you. Only pay once they have collected and expect you as an eldercare advisor to help collect past due fees. I was hired to help families, not as a a/r specialist. The commission structure is laughable. They expect you to develop "professional" referral from doctors, lawyers, cpa's, financial planners and such. Have you ever actually tried to get an appointment with a physician? My coach actually said she took homemade baked goods and dropped them off to create good will and referrals. Crazy! The only positive is when you actually get to help families. However, I've placed 7 families since I started in May and have yet to have a fee paid by a partner property. Plus, the total commissions for those 7 placements don't even match the miniscule draw against commission that they pay. Have you ever actually had anyone listen in to your phone calls and IM you while you are on the call? Just wait - it's going to happen. They come in 15 minutes into the call and missed all of the pertinent details, but feel compelled to "help" you with the call. I IM'd back, get off my call, I'll talk with you later. They count how many hours you are on the phone, but don't provide you with enough leads in the beginning to make those numbers. This entire business model is a crock. You can make more $ working part-time for a gym. If you truly care about working with the senior population, which I do, please, please, seek other options. Work for a home care company, get your CNA and work Hospice, go back to school and get an RN. Anything but this company. I sincerely hope that since they were acquired Warner Pincus things have improved. I recommend you run, run, run, away as fast as you can.

Ok, very cliquish

Current Employee - Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

~ Fascinating and growing industry
    ~ Smart people
    ~ Depending on the group you're working with you might now have to work that hard

Cons

~ Benefits are awful
    ~ High turnover
    ~ Very cliquish. There is a small group that has worked together before and it is hard to break into that group as they always socialize with each other
    ~ Lack of transparency with decision making
    ~ It feels like the leadership team doesn't trust anyone

Focus more on the mission, values and culture

Love working here!

Pros

Good pay, great people in the company

Cons

Lots of work to get started. Not all the tools are in place for the sales force yet.

A Place for Mom is a decent place to work.

Pros

I was able to divide my time between working in the office and working from home (3 days in the office and 2 days from home). I felt respected my my managers, and I really liked my coworkers.

Cons

Because the company was going through so many changes it was hard to feel secure in your job. In the same sense, it felt as though there was little opportunity to advance because all open upper level positions were going to people outside the company instead of internally. Similarly, a lot of promotional titles seemed to be arbitrarily handed out to people.

Get back to core values and build the company based on service and not on profit.

Great company and career opportunities !

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor  in  Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Toms River, NJ

Pros

management is amazing, training is exceptional, work from home, flexibility, truly helping families in a time of need

Cons

Benefits could be much better

Excellent opportunity! Many different metrics!

Pros

Work at home
    Direct manager is awesome
    Flexibility
    Helping families

Cons

Metrics are high
    Lack of partner communities in many areas

Listen to employees - focus on a few metrics at a time

Wonderful colleagues with many good expansion challenges

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Wonderful, talented software development colleagues.
    Great engineering managers.
    Challenging software scale problems.
    Solid benefits with the possibility of bonuses.
    Lots of company growth potential that's being realized.

Cons

Benefits aren't great (high deductible); no matching 401k contribution.
    Software development division is going through a phase of high-energy, low-stability reorganization while the company goals of scaling-up are addressed.
    No opportunity for career advancement, but that's a known issue starting.
    Many talented, amazing employees have been lost due to conflicts with executives.

Make a long-term technology plan and apply it in an organized, consistent manner.

Worked for A Place for Mom? Contribute to the Community!