A Place for Mom

Updated October 12, 2014
2.9

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 21 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • They had their call center train an offsite (in 5 reviews)

• The company is still figuring out how they should position themselves to professionals (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A 13yr old company with the mindset of a start up

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security with a backlog of 18 months worth of projects.

Cons

Very under paid. Lack of technology resources to keep up with current trends. Nothing matters more than generating leads. Even the culture of the company falls 2nd to that metric.

Your employees are not expendable. There is a lot of talent under you. This is not something a wise senior team should take for granted.

So focused on generating leads, that they don't pay attention employee satisfaction.

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is small enough to where you can really get to know people and have a sense of community.

Cons

Sadly, the CEO takes good care of the friends he brought over from his previous companies, and lets the other employees fall by the wayside. His bias is obvious, and his friends' departments tend to see the most money allocated to their needs and receive the most promotions. Good luck seeing any sort of career progression unless you are a part of a team with a manager that is within the CEO's inner circle.

There is SO much focus on leads and move-ins. While this is important and what generates money for the company, APFM is forgetting about how much money they waste every time they have an employee resign, and they have to spend the time and the money to hire, train, and have a new employee fully ramped up. This affects the bottom line too. People are not happy, they are looking for better opportunities, and they are leaving. APFM is churning through employees, and there doesn't seem to be any change in sight. Not only have I seen countless advisors and corporate employees exit the company, but APFM has had two CFOs leave the company in under two years and has been operating without a CFO since January of 2014.

Lastly, APFM is a 14 year old company but they haven't progressed at much of anything other than generating leads. Technology is lacking, management is inexperienced, there's no workforce planning, branding is underwhelming, HR turns a blind eye to so many performance and morale issues, the list goes on...

If you are interested in a career with A Place for Mom, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Pay attention to your employees. You have so many people that have skills that are underutilized and do not get the recognition they deserve. The immense amount of complaints on Glassdoor alone should be a red flag that something is terribly wrong. Foster an environment of engagement, and you'll start to see better results.

Senior Living Advisor

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Phila, PA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great industry to be connected with. Lots of job satisfaction.

Cons

Goals and metrics unrealistic. Having had 2 managers, first one supportive, the other not at all.

Strong purpose, but bad CEO

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

There is actually so much good that happens for seniors! There are really good advisors in the company who care about the purpose.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of leadership, no CFO for sometime now, long hours and I don't feel valued at all for the work I do.

Give us an idea of what the goals are, what we are working our butts off for, because it isn't the money.

Not employee focused...

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

helping people is a great opportunity here. flexible scheduling of hours, company is well known-sometimes a pro and sometimes a con.

Cons

management turnover is very high and new management is often ignorant of the industry as well as their own jobs. compensation does not reflect the employees and how much they produce for the company. not employee friendly. company consistently takes compensation/benefits from employees if it's better for the company. unrealistic quotas. new business model is not industry friendly and management doesn't care about clients or families.

turnover would be less if management hired were experienced and successful. hire from within to management to make the teams successful. focus on employee morale, doing the right thing by customers/clients and stop thinking the company is soooo big they are unbeatable. smaller, boutique style placement services are taking over the market because of the change in the business model. for an internet company, perhaps taking an employee first model would lessen the negative remarks from the public and industry professionals. Try a google, yahoo approach, might be able to keep good employees longer.

Decent job out of College

Former Employee - Elder Care Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full Benefits, PTO, Location and Work from Home

This company is a tech start up. The original founders built the company up, grew accounts and database. Then sold it and cashed in along with the employees who had company stock. Good experience but limited.

Cons

Poor Pay for the area

Complete wage survey and pay employees relative to the Seattle area

It was ok for a temporary stint until I found my dream job

Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the Seattle office, great view of Lake Union. Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

In the 5 months that I worked there, they changed the hours and my job role. For a company that has been around for a few years, it felt like a start up. Company is constantly in search in itself. Also, the company treats their clients almost as shoddy as they treat their employees. People don't want to be called all the time to have elder care pushed on them!

Your employees want to have trust in the company, that you guys have it together. Telling the Swing Shift that they now have to start work at 6am is not a way to keep up morale. Also, even more important than listening to your employees is to listen to your clients. You can't provide excellent service if you continue to ignore feedback.

Wonderful and promising

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

If you truly work hard and share your want to grow within the company, the supervisors will support you and assist where needed to help you reach your goals.

Cons

Communication isn't always the best between departments, but message eventually gets delivered, nonetheless.

Continue giving surveys where employees can anonymously voice their opinions, otherwise you may never know how someone really feels.

Exciting industry, ignored employees

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance
    Great team members
    Growing industry

Cons

Nepotism
    Few opportunities for advancement
    Disappointing compensation

Many employees feel invisible, almost like you're just letting us work until you can figure out a reason to lay us off and hire someone from McKinsey or Expedia. I think the main problem at A Place for Mom is that the senior team is either oblivious or ambivalent to how their decisions affect morale. I've felt afraid for my job and disposable too often at APFM.

Eldercare Advisor

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time

Cons

Management always taking away from advisors. I love change, but it was impossible to keep up with the rate of change at this organization. I was the last man standing out of 15 in my training class, after only 3 years. Changed the compensation plan several times during my employment, always to the company's advantage.

If you let your employees do the "right thing", it will ultimately work to the company's benefit.