A Place for Mom

Updated September 17, 2014
2.9

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • Work from home, set your own hours, Sean and Sunil were great leaders (in 15 reviews)

• Helping families with major life decisions (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor compensation; draw against commission & no base salary (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover due to unhappy employees at headquarters (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting industry, ignored employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance
    Great team members
    Growing industry

Cons

Nepotism
    Few opportunities for advancement
    Disappointing compensation

Many employees feel invisible, almost like you're just letting us work until you can figure out a reason to lay us off and hire someone from McKinsey or Expedia. I think the main problem at A Place for Mom is that the senior team is either oblivious or ambivalent to how their decisions affect morale. I've felt afraid for my job and disposable too often at APFM.

Eldercare Advisor

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Able to work from home, an industry where you have the opportunity to help families at a difficult time

Cons

Management always taking away from advisors. I love change, but it was impossible to keep up with the rate of change at this organization. I was the last man standing out of 15 in my training class, after only 3 years. Changed the compensation plan several times during my employment, always to the company's advantage.

If you let your employees do the "right thing", it will ultimately work to the company's benefit.

Worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Every job you have after this one will seem great.

Cons

Low compensation.
    Incompetent management.
    Should not be used on resume if hoping to continue to within the industry.

Your turnover should tell you the whole story. I watched as at least 20 Senior Living Advisers quit or were fired in Chicago over an 18 month period. I watched two Chicago managers demoted (never should have been managers in the first place) and returned to their original sales positions rather than terminated. Have you ever seen an instance when a demoted employee is successful in a demoted position?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for the right person

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

- Some really good people (though a number of those are leaving or have left)
    - You're in a business that helps people, and makes money doing it
    - Decent pay, ok benefits

Cons

- So-so employee morale where you're just part of the machine and not part of the decision process
    - If you're not from Expedia or Drugstore, it can be hard to be heard or feel trusted
    - Poor communications

Apply a small but sincere percent of your focus on building trust with your people and creating a place people want to work over just numbers and turning the company over.

This is an unreasonable place to work

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Helping families get through crises

Cons

The job of an advisor was misrepresented. I was nothing more than a phone sales person. The leadership is constantly on your back about making people move. Why would I make an elderly person and their family do something they're not ready to do?

Get real. You're working with some of the most frail and vulnerable people on the planet. Seniors are not a commodity.

A Complete sham of a company

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

None, maybe to fill up resume space

Cons

Too many to list. I had the nastiest group leader, completely condescending and rude which made for a most unpleasant environment. I was compelled by the mission, but in practice you desperately stalk people via phone and try to "advise" them, or steer them to where you get commissions. No one follows up with you. It's a ridiculous concept. 85% of my class was gone when I gave up after a few months. 10 cents a mile for travel. That may not buy me water, never mind gas. Someone will profit from all this, rest assured it will not be YOU.

Hire real reps and pay them hourly. I worked for China wages and was a slave to my desk.

Company does not Appreciate Inside or Outside Sales Team.

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good product. Company has strong branding. Growth should be positive but greed and poor direction dominates this company.

Cons

Astronomical quotas. Impossible to make
    the kind of money that was promised. People at top are out of touch with sales people.

Listen to the people who have been there a long time and know the history and grow with calculated wisdom.

Expected to do a lot for little

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Get to actually help families with real life situations and act as a true resource and guide for many families

Cons

Once you start to take leads, you're scrutinized with your production, and working an inconsistent phone schedule. A challenging work life balance if you have a family.

A salary of $30K for the amount of time needed to get going isn't justified. Also a mileage reimbursement of .20/mile is ridiculous.

False promises! Big dissapointment

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping families with major life decisions. Home office.

Cons

No support from fellow advisors. Unrealistic expectations.

Listen to the advisors who work with the families and partners each day.

Worst Experience, Ever

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home and helping families.

Cons

For any serious sales professional this company is a joke. I was a 6+ figure sales professional in real estate who concentrated on the senior market. I was a "perfect" (according to my recruiter) match for this company. They will find any way possible to not pay you. Only pay once they have collected and expect you as an eldercare advisor to help collect past due fees. I was hired to help families, not as a a/r specialist. The commission structure is laughable. They expect you to develop "professional" referral from doctors, lawyers, cpa's, financial planners and such. Have you ever actually tried to get an appointment with a physician? My coach actually said she took homemade baked goods and dropped them off to create good will and referrals. Crazy! The only positive is when you actually get to help families. However, I've placed 7 families since I started in May and have yet to have a fee paid by a partner property. Plus, the total commissions for those 7 placements don't even match the miniscule draw against commission that they pay. Have you ever actually had anyone listen in to your phone calls and IM you while you are on the call? Just wait - it's going to happen. They come in 15 minutes into the call and missed all of the pertinent details, but feel compelled to "help" you with the call. I IM'd back, get off my call, I'll talk with you later. They count how many hours you are on the phone, but don't provide you with enough leads in the beginning to make those numbers. This entire business model is a crock. You can make more $ working part-time for a gym. If you truly care about working with the senior population, which I do, please, please, seek other options. Work for a home care company, get your CNA and work Hospice, go back to school and get an RN. Anything but this company. I sincerely hope that since they were acquired Warner Pincus things have improved. I recommend you run, run, run, away as fast as you can.

Worked for A Place for Mom? Contribute to the Community!