A Place for Mom Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great company where you can make a significant impact on both the business and supporting families in need of help.

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living. The right size company to make an immediate impact. Team oriented. Talented and passionate employees.

Marketing team is growing and in need of talented new members for our SEO and brand teams. Many opportunities to continue to expand our reach and create new platforms in our mission to help Seniors and their families.

Cons

Overall, great compensation and benefits, but catching up to some bigger companies in a few areas. The good news is the company culture is evolving and the organization is investing in these areas.

Advice to Management

Keep going.

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback and review. We’re committed to investing in our culture and are pleased you’ve seen the positive impact.

There's Room for Improvement with Every Company

Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

APFM has grown tremendously improving training, benefits, and technology. Every company has their pain points especially companies with rapid growth. I've seen several employees leave the company and come back a year or two later after they realized that the grass wasn't greener. Several new positions have been created over the last few years allowing for people to advance in their careers.

Cons

The current corporate office is too small, not allowing for much personal space. When people can't get personal space there is always conflict. Can't wait to move to the new office! When a company grows as fast as APFM they have to also become scalable, which requires change. The company has not figured out how to hire people whose core competency is to adapt to that change.

Advice to Management

Continue asking for feedback from employees. Let employees know that you heard their feedback. Sometimes when it takes awhile to implement changes people think you did not hear them or did not care about their concerns.

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. Receiving feedback from our employees is important to us. While we’ve conducted employee surveys in the past, we are soon implementing a new survey ... More

Beware of False Positive Reviews

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The idea of being able to help families find solutions during a very vulnerable time in life.
    2. Work life balance. There is not much accountability in any department, and the work load is typically very manageable.
    3. Free snacks and coffee.

Cons

There is a clear loss of direction with this company, and senior management is to blame. The CEO only hires Expedia and McKinsey buddies to fill senior management roles, and has an obvious level of discomfort working with women. This company operates as a "start-up" but has been around for over 14 years, and under Sean Kell for over 4. Aside from the lack of promotional and professional growth opportunities, there are several reasons I'd stay away from this company:

1. Career Suicide. There are zero professional growth opportunities within this company, and this ranges from the inability to go to conferences for growth to actual promotions.
    2. This is a company that does not treat their employees well. From the lack of transparency to the embarrassing benefits the company "offers" their employees, it is clear that this company does not value their employees.
    3. HR is not on your side. HR has done very little to protect its employees by following up with investigations, and unethical practice claims. Instead, they do a very good job in not answering your questions and always protecting the CEO. I also always get nervous when I see HR or Recruiters leave a company I am working at. The Director of Talent Acquisition left the company at the beginning of the year, and six months later two other recruiters (the only two that most of us actually saw in the office) left the company to join major PNW based companies.
    4. There is zero accountability, and no cohesiveness amongst departments. Every departments runs as if they are their own entity, and answer to no one. Each department operates off of their own interpretation of what they think the company's "mission statement" is and that is why there is a lack of overall direction.
    5. No workforce planning or transparency in company direction.
    6. The OBVIOUS false reviews that were posted. It is disgusting when companies try to decisive potential candidates to work for their company but even more so when they bribe their current employees to make false posts on review sites such as this. The false reviews discredits the overall integrity of review sites like Glassdoor. It is obvious that the recent influx of "positive" reviews (all posted within the same month and time frame, mind you) were from senior management trying to change the overall ratings. As someone who has worked with the corporate staff, I can tell you right now this is just a small example of what the senior management team thinks is appropriate to do.
    7. Everyone is a "Director of Operations" - There are at least 5 people with that title and nobody understands why or what they do. When you ask the recruiters who the new Director of Ops is they just laugh and ask which one? Not a good sign...

Advice to Management

Be transparent, be ethical and actually stick to the mission that the founders set forth because you are touching lives and not in a positive way.

What a ride!

Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Head Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

APFM has three really great things going for it:

1- The company does good. It helps people in a really hard time in their life (for free!). And on the other side it helps communities fill their room which would otherwise be empty. It's really nice to work for a company where if you do a better job as an employee in your core job you are making the world a better place.

2- The company is doing really well. We've had phenomenal growth rates multiple years in a row. This has meant that people have been promoted along with their abilities. There is no need to worry about your peers taking the limited promotion opportunities. You basically get to do as much as you are able to do (and sometimes more)

3- Related to #2, we have the opportunity to create what this place is becoming. The company is still small enough that every individual still has an impact on what happens. But it's big enough that what happens is a pretty big deal. It's a nice combination.

Some comments on some of the critical comments I've read on here. They seem to fall into 3 groups:
    1- Call Center Employees. I can't comment very well on what it's like to be a call center employee at APFM, but I imagine it's similar to other call centers (and pretty different than being a corporate staff). It would likely make sense to break out the reviews by the two types

2- Advisors in the Field. APFM has over 300 advisors working from home across the country. These people are the core of the business, but they also have a pretty different job than people working in Seattle. They are also held to a pretty high standard (as they are both the face of the company working with families, and the key drivers of company revenue by connecting those families with communities). It takes a unique person who is extremely empathetic working with people is one of the hardest times of their life, and also able to be managed by the numbers (number of calls per day, follow-up rate, warm transfer rate, referral rate, properties per referral, etc. etc.). It doesn't surprise me that some people who are very good at #1, struggle with #2. That seems to be the common complaint when I read through the bad reviews here

3- Head Office Staff. There are a lot less of these, but they seem to be sprinkled through here. A bunch are related to a group of employees that gossiped in each others offices and then all left at once. But there are some legitimate complaints. More on that in the "Cons"

Cons

In some ways the company is still a scrappy start-up. No one would blink if a start-up didn't have a great 401-k plan or a gym in the building. But when a Fortune 500 company doesn't have those things people aren't happy. The problem with APFM is it is sitting inbetween those two worlds. Only three years ago APFM was definitely a scrappy start-up trying to make things work. A lot has changed in 3 years, but the systems and processes and benefits are trying to keep up.

401K match was only introduced last year (and it caps out at a relatively low rate). There is still no gym in the building. There is no matching of employee donations. Etc.

The good news is that it does seem to be getting better every year. 401K match WAS added. The year before that they added Long term Care Insurance. Every year the health care plan (which isn't very good) has gotten a little better.

The other issue is that with the constant growth and opportunities comes people who don't advance as quickly. If you are at Amazon and don't get promoted for 5 years you can chalk that up to the way the company works - you can look around you and see that no one is getting promoted. But if you don't get promoted for 5 years at APFM it's harder to say that. You are left having to look at yourself critically or to blame the company. That's hard on anyone I think.

Advice to Management

Keep things growing. That will allow us to keep increasing opportunities and benefits for employees, and to help more families.

And then make sure you balance the focus on numbers (which will get us where we want to be) with the focus on people (which is why we are doing what we do)

Great place to work if you have the right pedigree

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What seems to be a noble purpose...helping our aging population and many do get helped.

Cons

Unfortunately the noble purpose gets lost in the hiring only from Expedia and McKinsey to line the pockets of friends for when they do their IPO. The other reviews on the site are clearly written by the higher levels in the company who will prosper. the truth is, it is toxic culture and many of the communities they say they are partners with would rather not do business with them, but find that they are a necessary evil.

Advice to Management

Follow the noble purpose of the business...

Great growth opportunity - working on innovative products

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology investment has increased greatly after new leadership came on board. Vision has resulted in position results and stability has increased greatly.

Cons

Distractions from the core focus of the company (helping families and partners) sometimes get in the way.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the team and we will keep up the 30% growth YOY.

A Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Feel of a start-up company, even though in business about a decade
    Decent benefit package to start out, though it could be improved
    Small enough at local office level, you tend to know most of your fellow employees or teams
    Largest company in the field, so has a lot of leverage in the senior care industry
    If you put the time and effort in, the company often promotes from within for internal positions available, and the ability to somewhat 'climb the ladder'-- though available positions tend to be limited and far-between
    Company does a lot to donate to local and national charities, especially those close to the industry

Cons

The pay is lacking compared to other similar jobs in the industry, raises and bonuses can be difficult to come by.
    Not enough room to conduct all business (such as meetings, conference rooms, etc.)
    Company recently laid-off/out-sourced several dozen in the call center division, creating general un-ease at corporate
    Bi-monthly pay period can be difficult to manage financially for some
    Company going through growth spurt and associated growing pains, has moved corporate office twice in the past three years to accommodate growth
    Lots of flexible work/life balance, especially for work at home employees

Advice to Management

We understand the company is owned by a venture capital firm, and that the investors are wanting a profitable company--and right now they have it. The biggest issue going forward to keep this momentum will be to attract and retain key employees with better pay and benefits to match similar industries (especially now the economy is rebounding), otherwise the high turn-over will eventually hurt the company. Make your employees feel like they matter, not just continue to make your venture capitalist ownership wallet's fatter.

Oct 27, 2014Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback. Attracting and retaining employees is extremely important to us. We’re focused on improving our benefits and seek employee input on priority areas through our Benefit ... More

All about profit and data / Not families or employees

Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very data focused company and growing fast. In a great industry that needs help. Very smart data team but lacks emotional intelligence.

Cons

Internal culture is toxic. People swear in meetings at many companies, but only at A Place for Mom do people swear directly at you. Also, the turnover in Sr Leadership roles is incredible. There is no focus on your own development and no partnership in that process.

In addition, the families/seniors who they work with are referred to as being 'harvested' in the sales process. This only demonstrates how disconnected the senior leadership team is from doing the right thing for its clients/customers.

I regret what I did for this company

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing redeeming about this company or the jobs at this place.

Cons

I was asked to do things I regret, including writing positive job responses to post on this and other web sites. The company is misleading so many people. I regret what I have done. I was only trying to earn a living, but I now realize that I did it at the expense of others.

Advice to Management

In your eagerness to earn money, you forget that there are people connected to the phone calls the phone center is taking. You are negatively impacting the lives of so many people all in the name of earning money.

I want my year back !

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work from home has potential, the broader goal of helping families is a good one

Cons

along with work from home your seemingly always on duty. Business practices and models are somewhat deceptive
    interest in helping seniors stops and is driven by $$$$. Yes we help some but irritate so many more by the telemarketing practices. This company process data and numbers employees and families are all secondary to the numbers and profit . Joan Lunden should really rethink this endorsement....not a smart long term association

Advice to Management

Leave, then promote more ideas from within the ranks of those actually doing the job.
    be more forthright with your employees. Stop flying by the seat of your pants

RSS Feed </> Embed