A.T. Kearney Reviews

A.T. Kearney Managing Partner and Chairman Johan Aurik
Johan Aurik

1. Great place to work and to grow

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting projects and very great culture compared to other firms. I very much appreciate the culture change, it is one of the most inclusive consulting firms and the job is very challenging

Cons

As in all consulting firms, the working hours are not the best. I've been lucky to only work few weekends, but other people cannot say the same

Advice to Management

Limit the work hours on weekends. The week is already quite demanding, it would be nice if everybody could rest during the weekends

Associate

I have been working at A.T. Kearney

Pros

- great people in every office that are down-to-earth, very approachable, and hard-working
    - very well liked by clients, especially on a personal level, which increasingly helps win business
    - flat hierarchies with many partners that make time to answer questions and chat
    - allows for fast career progression if performance and network is good
    - on a tremendous growth trajectory, gaining share from MBB, on track to double in size by 2020 while staying profitable
    - early exposure to C-suite if you proof yourself

Cons

- travel (national staffing, some global if requested) and working hours, although this very much depends on project and team, which you can influence quite a bit
    - although better than in any corporate treadmill, training and development is limited due to size
    - retirement contribution is weak if you don't stay for at least 3-5 years
    - alumni network needs improvement

Advice to Management

Don't ever sell out to an accounting firm. Our history tells us it doesn't work.

Incredible growth trajectory through the hiring of great talent and investments on new offerings

Current Employee - Americas Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Americas Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- 20%+ growth in the Americas
    - Impressive hiring of new talent in particular to strengthen our PE and Hi-Tech capabilities
    - International opportunities: I have been able to work on projects in 8 countries across Europe and the Americas
    - Work-life balance: I have been able to temporary take on a Finance role when I could not travel as a consultant

Cons

Hours can be long in consulting....

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Excellent Career booster

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hands on training and benefits are excellent. Non-traditional and diverse culture at ATK. Some of my best friends and will continue to be so. This is a jumping platform for anyone who wants to pursue business in any industry. It is an excellent way to ensure you are learning to take different points of view, learn sales and marketing, analysis and relationship management from many different aspects.

Cons

As with all consulting firms, have to be ready for the ambiguous and unknown. The industry is changing and the company is trying to change with it. Many folks were not happy with the changes in recent months and have chosen another path. I think in some ways the life style is not sustainable without sacrificing other aspects of your life.

Advice to Management

Consider better communication of plans to ensure no surprises.

A.T. Kearney Response

Nov 3, 2014Senior Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback!

6. Great, a company on the move

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy culture, team work and client orientation

Cons

Can be more meritocratic and strategic in thinking

Advice to Management

Earn more, pay more

7. Great people and firm culture, interesting work but generally limited to operations.

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Emphasis placed on a strong firm culture. In four years I never worked with a manager, principal, or partner that I disliked. Great clients across a wide range of industries. If you do well, you will be promoted quickly.

Cons

Long hours, but that is standard across management consulting. The big con is that the work seems to be pretty limited to the operations sphere, and ATK does not generally compete well to win the more interesting strategic work as the Big 3.

Advice to Management

While promoting people to management roles, ensure they have the proper training. Great analysts don't necessarily make good managers.

8. "Great place to learn the tools of the trade"

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is broadly competitive within the industry and, being a bit smaller, there is a lot of opportunity to shape your own experience. The firm has a rich operational history and a motivated set of leaders.

Cons

Training and recruitment have a lot to be desired. Most of this is consultant-led and is provided over and above their day-to-day consulting obligations. Therefore some of the efforts seem underdone.

Advice to Management

Invest in recruitment and training - the growth ambitions are aggressive and to achieve them you need to invest in your people.

Integrity Problem w/ Leadership

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

TOP PROS: Great benefits. Emphasis on training. Solid resources. Newfound focus on performance (kind of, see below).

Cons

TOP CONS: Dreadful hours. BORING projects (way too much sourcing). Poor performance management.

I'll second the other consultants below...

The performance management system, in particular, has flaws in how employees are rated and pathways to advancement. For a while, too many people were getting top marks, which admittedly isn't sustainable... I get that. But over the last year, the process has been scattered between what leadership calls "Stay, Learn, Grow" to a rigid "Up or Out" mentality.

Meanwhile, you've got partners, who have been living off one account for decades and not driving new business. One wonders how much scrutiny they've been given, since it's probably one of the reasons firm performance has stalled.

Topping that off, in a pretty sketchy sketchy maneuver, leadership completely changed expectations on bonuses AFTER the year was completed. Full disclosure: I received a bonus and am not complaining, but I'm shocked at how that was handled. It's really shocking to see hardworking employees, even ones who are only treading water, misled like that for a year. The new evaluating philosophy and expectations should have been rolled out at the beginning of the year. This isn't Wall Street.

I'm all for a firm culture that emphasizes high performance and differentiated rewards. But hat should be coupled with consistency of strategy (see above), integrity of leadership (see above), and loyalty for work delivered (see above). The firm should have been upfront about expectations and rewards earlier, or paid bonus levels they agreed to and out-counseled underperformers.

I could not recommend A.T. Kearney to colleagues from business school, Even in a growth environment, firm performance has flat-lined under the new leadership. There are too many (boring) sourcing projects, a bizarre strategy, and leadership that apparently doesn't "say what they do, and do what they say"

Advice to Management

For management, have integrity--without it, strategies, especially incoherent ones, are doomed to failure.

Nice people but not a great experience as an analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Fortune 500 clients
    - Intelligent people
    - Generous expense budget (when you are traveling to a client)
    - Good place to start right out of school
    - Stable and focused on growth

Cons

- Many managers do not have people management skills
    - Long stretches of time spent on the beach
    - Work/life balance issues
    - Promotions can be slow, especially compared to peers at other firms
    - Salaries at BA level are lower than many competitors
    - Little passion for innovation

Advice to Management

- Too many procurement projects, repetitive and boring after a couple years, grow the strategic practice
    - The name is not recognized directly outside the industry like competitor firms, hire a good advertising agency to really give the brand a boost and the prestige it deserves
    - Rather than have analysts spending weeks to months on the beach, encourage partners to do sponsor interesting, insightful and even innovative research in their industry

11. Innovative and fun

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There exist a good variety of challenging projects to work on and interesting people to work with.

Cons

But a good portion of those projects / people are in sourcing, which is not necessarily a bad thing if you want to build some solid supply market knowledge.