A.T. Kearney Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.8

A.T. Kearney Managing Partner and Chairman Johan Aurik
Johan Aurik

Pros
  • Interesting programs for improving work-life balance after manager levels (in 14 reviews)

• Great people and excellent working atmosphere with many social events organized (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Miserable work-life balance with 80-90 hour work weeks on average (in 33 reviews)

• Long hours, different regional perception of company (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Employer

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities, interesting projects, intelligent people. A.T. Kearney has ambitious growth plans and is on a strong growth trajectory.

Cons

Minimal complaints about being a consultant at A.T. Kearney. There are few changes I would make to the organization.
    I have had a very positive experience.

Excellent people, great culture

I have been working at A.T. Kearney

Pros

Strong focus on delivering value to clients
    Collaborative style

Cons

Travel to client locations
    Long hours

Elite consulting experience without Big Three (MBB) brand name

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at A.T. Kearney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For better (or for worse) you can have an extremely similar experience at A.T. Kearney than at McKinsey, BCG or Bain. I joined straight out of undergrad, went to b-school sponsored, and came back to repay. My high school and college friends (20+) who also worked at MBB firms and A.T. Kearney have shared very similar experiences. Here is a summary: (1) Pure-strategy work remains elusive and operations-focused projects are by far the bread & butter. Arguably, our competitors do a better job at marketing the type of work to new recruits, but its mainly marketing. Many of my friends at MBB firms were lured in by the potential to do "pure-strategy" just to quickly find out that operations are the meat & potatoes of the industry. I did plenty of strategy work and never did a sourcing project, but that was definitely not the norm. Many of my colleagues did tons of boring projects. (2) As in other firms work-life balance is "OK" at A.T. Kearney. Occasionally the crazy “horror” project does trap you, but again this is quite similar to what happens elsewhere (a friend at McKinsey had a nervous-breakdown and was hospitalized). You might get a crazy 2-week due diligence but then get a more manageable 6-month steady project. (3) Compensation remains largely benchmarked, particularly in the U.S. and coming out of b-school. What you see in the b-school self-reported placement reports is pretty much what you get. If you are a sponsored student (i.e. an ATK scholar) you might get a slight bump when you come back, but nothing to get too excited about. MBA tuition is entirely covered if you are a scholar, but that is also true in any MBB firm. (4) As an analyst or pre-MBA associate your main exit opportunity is to get an MBA and you can feasibly get into Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg, Booth, Wharton, Columbia, etc. I got into 3 of them and without breaking a sweat. However, as you progress in your career, particularly when you become a manager or a principal it does get harder to jump ship. Similar to other MBB firms most sponsored b-school students come back only to eventually leave. Of the last 5 scholar classes around two thirds of the people have already left. This seems to be on par with what my MBB friends have seen.

Cons

The main problem with A.T. Kearney lies in its poor brand name. Everybody in the market knows about it and have it in high esteem, but within less informed circles the name does not mean a lot. Many even confuse ATK with other Big-4 audit firms. Ironically, from the perspective of the partners, this is actually good for business. After the financial meltdown ATK did pretty well. Many longstanding clients hired us because of our operations focus (i.e. lots of sourcing, cost-reduction, transformation projects) and we did not have to compete head-to-head with MBB. However, for the vast majority of the employees the lack of a strong brand name does have significant cons: (1) There is a Catch-22 in terms of work content. Clients do not see us as strategic advisors and we limit ourselves to operations-focused work, which in turn limits the experience that consultants get, and ultimately leads to fewer exciting projects in the long run. (2) There is also a Catch-22 in terms of image. Although other firms do plenty of operations work, people in ATK view themselves an edge lower than those at MBB, which in turn leads to a lack of swagger and pride shown to clients, and in turn having a weaker brand name. Actually, in an annual partners meeting, a big-name client (CEO of Fortune 100 company) told the audience that ATK consultants lacked confidence and could benefit from being more assertive. (3) Exit opportunities beyond the analyst/associate role are quite narrow. The longer you stay the harder it is to leave. Most managers and principals leave to become sourcing managers/directors at former clients. Perhaps many stay because they can’t leave elsewhere. Cool jobs in the Valley (Google, Apple, Facebook, Uber) or investor-side private equity gigs (Apax, Blackstone) are a quite a stretch. The only private equity role you can realistically bid for, not surprisingly, is on the operations team. As everyone that leaves consulting, many of my friends from MBB firms struggled to find attractive jobs but I've found that very few managers or principals from A.T. Kearney have made stellar transitions. The lack of brand name and operations-focused roles significantly limits your job prospects. While I was recruiting for general manager roles at the Valley and other startup hubs I had to carefully outline who A.T. Kearney was. I commonly told my interviewers: "It's like an MBB consulting firm". (4) Travel seems to be a bit higher than the norm but not excessively so. Old-time partners prefer a very "on-hands" approach, which essentially means working 4-days a week at the client site. The problem with having a weak brand name is that partners want to “impress” clients and try to "over deliver" by having as many troops as they can at the site. Of course clients care about the presence of consultants but trying to over deliver through that way seems to be missing the point. (5) While progress has been made in improving alumni programs, those that leave A.T. Kearney are still seen somewhat as "defectors" and not really as a natural thing of the industry. Very few ever become a partner, and that is anywhere in the industry. ATK consultants (non-partners) rarely attends alumni events. The few that attend those events are mainly former staff members (whom I love and admire...but you get the point).

Focus on improving brand. Or even better, focus on building swagger and pride. Take more chances in new industries and new clients. Or even better, reward partners that sell interesting or new work. Take it easy when people leave. Or even better, help people when they want to leave. Try travelling a bit less. Or even better, try to reward managers that make their teams travel less.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity to make a strong impact for your clients and your career

Current Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ATK is a firm on the move. Growth is strong, culture is strong, utilization is up, and people are getting some great opportunities.

Clients love our work. I have not been on a project that has gone south, indeed I've been on projects where we replace other reputable firms and the comments we get are very flattering. I think this has a lot to do with our collaborative approach. We don't work "on" you... we work "with" you.

If you're a high-performer and are willing to put the work in, the bonus structure will reward you generously. If you're a below-average performer, there will be a strong signal to move you along the process of leaving the firm. I believe these are tremendous "Pros" for the firm. It helps the firm hang onto high performers, and shows them that their hard work and skill are worth something.

Office culture is improving across the board. Chicago has a brand new office with a better layout for collaboration and socialization, which is helping foster a strong culture. New York and San Fran already have these layouts.

If you network the right way, and are willing to settle into a comfortable niche / pyramid, then you can be very successful earlier on.

International assignments are accessible to those who want them. I know of folks that have been to: Dubai, South Africa, Ghana, Australia, UK, Singapore, Turkey, etc. etc.

Cons

-Long Hours (same as every consulting firm)
    -Can be pigeon-holed if you don't manage your career better (it is up to the consultant to prevent this, no one at ATK will figure this out for you!)
    -Strong reliance on procurement as the wedge into companies - and sometimes the pivot doesn't come soon enough.

You've got a great thing going - keep it up. Please focus a bit more on HR (Change Management, Communication, Policies, Quality, Recruitment, etc.)

Excellent Career booster

Current Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hands on training and benefits are excellent. Non-traditional and diverse culture at ATK. Some of my best friends and will continue to be so. This is a jumping platform for anyone who wants to pursue business in any industry. It is an excellent way to ensure you are learning to take different points of view, learn sales and marketing, analysis and relationship management from many different aspects.

Cons

As with all consulting firms, have to be ready for the ambiguous and unknown. The industry is changing and the company is trying to change with it. Many folks were not happy with the changes in recent months and have chosen another path. I think in some ways the life style is not sustainable without sacrificing other aspects of your life.

Consider better communication of plans to ensure no surprises.

Good company to work for

I worked at A.T. Kearney

Pros

good colleagues, nice culture, good in operations

Cons

long hours, lower pay, second tier branding

Overall experience is very positive. Challenging work, collaborative environment, diverse experience

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great if you are interesting in Ops consulting. Breadth of functional and industry experience
    Clients respect the collaborative nature of consulting teams
    Strong growth trajectory if you can withstand the intensity of work and demands

Cons

Work life balance is challenging, company culture has changed over the last year and needs to be figured out to ensure high performers continue to stay and grow in the firm

Great culture, people and opportunities

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time

Pros

My colleagues truly care about the work they do and the impact it has for their clients. They are super smart and dedicated to the firm and to our clients.

Cons

We tend to do expect so many things to be done that it can be hard to move the ball forward.

Try to focus on a few key issues to work on.

A Senior Person

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This firm is just living on its past reputation. Some of the work is good.

Cons

Worst work life balance. More often than not firm crosses the line between making people work as subordinate or "Slaves".

Firm claims to be expert in Change Management for clients but itself does not know how to do change management internally. Changes to Bonus structure for previous year were announced in a conference call just one week before payout and right after the conference call, Partners called consultants to tell that they got almost nothing in Bonus.

Most of the people are smart but think that everyone else is stupid.

I have had almost unlimited opportunities over my career, and had reasonable ability to influence those opportunities

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

the people are genuine and authentic. I actually enjoy working with my colleagues
    The client interactions are intense and meaningful. I can see the direct and immediate impact to my clients. And so can they

Cons

not many, perhaps still recovering from past ownership by EDS, but this really offers as many opportunities as it does issues

Work harder to share the messages that seem to be legitimately positive. Ensure that you listen to the consultants when they raise concerns

Worked for A.T. Kearney? Contribute to the Community!