A.T. Kearney

Updated February 17, 2015
3.9

A.T. Kearney Managing Partner and Chairman Johan Aurik
Johan Aurik

Pros
  • Interesting programs for improving work-life balance after manager levels (in 17 reviews)

• Lots of learning experience and great people to work with (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Intensive hours; work-life balance can be a challenge but is addressable if one is willing to (in 38 reviews)

• Long hours, but that is standard across management consulting (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Associate

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at A.T. Kearney

Pros

- great people in every office that are down-to-earth, very approachable, and hard-working
    - very well liked by clients, especially on a personal level, which increasingly helps win business
    - flat hierarchies with many partners that make time to answer questions and chat
    - allows for fast career progression if performance and network is good
    - on a tremendous growth trajectory, gaining share from MBB, on track to double in size by 2020 while staying profitable
    - early exposure to C-suite if you proof yourself

Cons

- travel (national staffing, some global if requested) and working hours, although this very much depends on project and team, which you can influence quite a bit
    - although better than in any corporate treadmill, training and development is limited due to size
    - retirement contribution is weak if you don't stay for at least 3-5 years
    - alumni network needs improvement

Don't ever sell out to an accounting firm. Our history tells us it doesn't work.

A.T. is great!

I have been working at A.T. Kearney

Pros

Great culture, I have such great pride in A.T. Kearney! I absolutely love coming into work everyday and being at this firm, couldn't have made a better decision. Great people that surround you here from every background you can imagine.

Cons

Work-life balance/long hours. Long hours are standard in the Management Consulting culture though, you have to expect it, nothing different than any other firm.

Great company

I have been working at A.T. Kearney

Pros

Great company. NCO training works wonders and great to meet new class.

Cons

Will not work on as much strategy projects as wanted. 2nd tier and dropping

Genuine culture, ambitious teams, brilliant people, collaborative environment, trustworthy and hands-on leadership

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've never worked in a firm with so many opportunities to play a direct role in the success of the firm. Because the hiring process is so rigorous, you come in with a high level of trust and confidence already earned. It's true you create your own path and that path is generally not filled with roadblocks. The camaraderie between co-workers is productive, respectful, and supportive. I have worked in many firms both big and small.

This is the best and most rewarding work I've done and environment in which I've worked, hands down. Because I work in marketing, I don't put in consultant's hours, however, I do work quite a bit. However, I'm a single parent, and having the flexibility to work from home is a huge benefit. I also see direct benefit from the work I produce, so the reward is worth the investment of my time.

Cons

Unless you are bringing in business, lone wolves probably wouldn't do well here. And because teams are so collaborative, it also makes under-performers (people that go head-down and don't work as a team, do-ers rather than thinkers) vulnerable to being replaced.

Incredible growth trajectory through the hiring of great talent and investments on new offerings

Current Employee - Americas Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Americas Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- 20%+ growth in the Americas
    - Impressive hiring of new talent in particular to strengthen our PE and Hi-Tech capabilities
    - International opportunities: I have been able to work on projects in 8 countries across Europe and the Americas
    - Work-life balance: I have been able to temporary take on a Finance role when I could not travel as a consultant

Cons

Hours can be long in consulting....

Keep up the great work!

A collaborative, entrepreneurial culture in a firm that is the right size and on an incredibly exciting trajectory.

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The size of the firm gives you degrees of freedom that larger firms can not offer. The growth path we are on is not only very exciting, but it also offers current employees additional opportunities. The A.T. Kearney people are the most down-to-earth, high caliber people you will find.

Cons

The firm is scaling and this, as expected, comes with some growing pains - leadership is addressing these.

Continue to engage all ranks of consultants as you have been. Maintain our unique culture, even with growth. Continue to expand work flexibility programs.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We deliver high-impact, quality work to our clients

Cons

Need to allow for more flexibility to meet personal needs

Enhance how we develop and share new ideas and solutions across the firm

Great Company

I worked at A.T. Kearney

Pros

- strong deal flow
    - helpful colleagues
    - great culture

Cons

working hours are a little long

Great opportunity for high performers

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Growing ...provides significant promotion opportunity and interesting project work. Growth plan is thoughtful. Culture is superb.

Cons

Will travel much and work very hard ...it's worth the effort. Not a place for weak performers.

Work hard, build lasting relationships, and access amazing opportunities while doing impactful work

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A.T. Kearney is growing quickly. Consultants have numerous opportunities to grow and take leadership roles on projects and within practices and internal firm building functions. Individuals and teams typically work very hard, but hard work is recognized with a merit-based bonus structure, profit sharing, trips, extra time off, etc.

Cons

Partners run the gamut in terms of management styles and some try to make up for their deficiencies by pushing their teams beyond what might be considered reasonable. Most teams/projects have checks and balances in place, but there are some senior leaders who seem to be immune to these and will run their teams hard.

Focus more on developing partners and principals people management skills. Don't be afraid to let partners/principals/managers go who continually go against work-life balance initiatives and who create work environments that result in A.T. Kearney losing some of it's best young talent.