A Wireless

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.9

Rich Balot

Pros
  • You have a Flexible schedule and a laid back environment and the hours aren't that bad (in 5 reviews)

• They really put effort in to making the work environment not only fun, but challenging (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Hires all of his frat brothers for upper management (in 13 reviews)

• The commission structure is okay, but if you don't sell "the right stuff" then there's no money to be made (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Leader

Current Employee - Store Leader
    Current Employee - Store Leader

I have been working at A Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you do your research you will find that the pay at A wireless is very fair when compared to Corporate/Premium retailers.

The health benefits that I provide for my family by working for A Wireless are top notch. It gives me peace of mind knowing that they are taken care of.

I'm confident the leaders above me are right for the job. The expectations they set are clear & they provide the tools and advice to help you achieve them. If it were a popularity contest they probably wouldn't win..but our store broke it's box record multiple times in a row, our district did the same. I don't think having leaders who wanted to be everyone's friend would have helped accomplish very much.

Cons

Being in a lower traffic store I have seen my Sales Consultants get discouraged when they see the SCs from larger stores winning more spiffs, getting more boxes. This has improved with the way their goals align with their store goals. Regardless...the SCs that do the most to drive business are rewarded and make the most money.

The hours are long. That was made clear when I was hired. Currently the extra hours required to put in are worth the reward.

None right now.

I see the review on our CEO pulling up in a Bentley...sad to hear it isn't true. That would be pretty cool. Don't know why driving a Bently would be a negative thing.

Great work atmosphere and aggressive approach to committing excellancy.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Franklin, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Franklin, PA

I have been working at A Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Large company plenty of room for growth. Representing the greatest wireless company in America.

Cons

Only pros when dealing with a wireless.

Open enrollment for sales training opportunities. Have a sales trainer for each region.

Great Company!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at A Wireless

Pros

They are super proud of their device insurance plan for customers and expect everyone to walk out the door covered.

Cons

If you don't sell accessories with hand held equipment you will not make much money.

Extremely poor management. Make you fear losing your job

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at A Wireless full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Lots of down time to chat and enjoy each others company. Decent pay

Cons

Management is horrid. Constantly berating the sales consultants to be better and strive for success which is great! Only when there is positive included in that. The managers harass you on a consistent basis and they give no appreciation. They only see the bad, never the good. The good is expected. Store leaders are not leaders. They are managers. They have no characteristics of leaders whatsoever. They don't lead by example, they have no clear vision, and they don't attract followers. The only thing they attract is hatred. Upper management needs to stop shoving their words down the store leaders' throats because they come down even harder on the sales consultants. It makes everyone feel like crap and it is not productive.

Upper management needs to show that they actually care. I feel afraid to complain about my manager in fear that I will get fired or transferred. Stop using fear as a tactic to produce. Set a clear vision and preach it like it's the bible. People follow visions, they don't follow fear.

If you have the resume for it, shoot higher

I have been working at A Wireless

Pros

As long as you don't mind working in this industry, it's pretty standard. Pay's decent.

Cons

Very poor training program, commission structure is constantly fluctuating, and as far as advancement is concerned, this juice is not worth the squeeze.

Develop a better training program.

6 day a week schedule, chargebacks galore, ever-changing upper management

I worked at A Wireless

Pros

Having a so called job

Cons

Terrible schedule, last minute changes ranging from pricing to hiring and firing employees on the spot

Get a new strategy other than using employees at your disposal

A Wireless Response

Jan 6, 2015CEO

A Wireless does not charge back our sales team and has not for years.

Sales manager

I have been working at A Wireless full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health benefits, 401k 4% match, 1 week off, after working 18 months.

Cons

50 hour work weeks, regardless of how slow. Sick days come out of your vacation time. Your schedule is constantly changing. Hard to spend time with your family. Authoritative managment. Constant e-mail and group communications when you are off, that you are expected to reply to a.s.a.p. or you get your job threatend. Your time off isn't really off. Sick days come out of your vacation time.

You don't have to make people work 50 hours a week all the time. Managers that have been around longer can get more done in less time. Newer managers may need the full 50 hours, veteran managers don't. We are in constant contact even when we are off, so why make us sit in our store for 50 hours regardless of traffic flow. Corp says they want us to have time with our familes, yet the culture you teach is the opposite. Time off is spent checking company communications. Consider allowing the longer you are employeed the less hours you need to work in a week and/or in off seasons 40-45 hour work weeks.

Rewarding 95% of the time

Current Employee - Current Sl
    Current Employee - Current Sl

I have been working at A Wireless full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 4 plus years. I plan on being here for 30 plus. I have been in both sales reps and sales leadership
    I've been thru multiple comp changes with any company it always happens with industry changes. It's only negative if you are not willing to change with it.

Pros
    . From headquarters to other states everyone knows your name. I feel as if I can call anyone in the company (from headquarters to other reps and leaders across the country) and they are willing to help. Very family feeling.
    Behaviors fire people not numbers. I love this part about A Wireless. If you demonstrate the right behaviors you get rewarded. Demonstrate the wrong ones you are coached and held to it.
    Current direct leadership makes entire team feel as if she has their backs.
    Rich Balot will help you when he comes to your store. He does not threaten nor does he make you feel scared. Very easy to talk to and has a major open door policy.
    The greeting is AWESOME.
    I love our partnerships. From Verizon Wireless to Samsung to Fios to Otterbox it is awesome
    It's sales!!

Cons

Cons
    Hours are a bit strenuous. The over rule your life at times.
    Prices need to be more competitive. We have the most expensive plans for consumers we need to assist better in the up front cost of accessories.
    Raises for employees need to come back.
    Quarterly rep meetings would be great again. Let reps be with other reps to see there is more then the 4 walls and just who you see everyday.
    Rumors are cancerous. Worse when you find out its your upper management fueling it. Help by crushing rumors.
    Fire drills. Please get info out faster.

To future sales reps hold yourself accountable. You are in control of your sales and you make the choice everyday to come to work. Ive seen the most succesful reps be the ones that hold themselves accountable. The ones that tend to blame everyone else tend to have less of a paycheck a bad attitude and ruin the experience for everyone else. They usually are the ones giving bad reviews and causing loss of buisness.
    TO upper leadership If you are going to have morning conference calls keep them extremely positive. Speak negatively to individuals privately and praise in the public, just like every etr training. When you want a positive sales day start it off with a positive call. If you do not like an employee do not let the whole team know. That gives a "whose next" attitude. Create a better open door policy.
    To HR & HQ start backing your store leaders and not your sales reps. Get more staff and please train them. You have an amazing team there just need to train the new ones.

Fun Fast Paced and Exciting

Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader in King, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader in King, NC

I have been working at A Wireless full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance in the company is there if you want it and are willing to work for it. Leaders are well trained and fun.

Cons

There could be better discounts for employees.

Keep doing what you were trained to do.

Work somewhere else

Current Employee - Sales in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at A Wireless

Pros

Many locations to choose from, but they are always closing them down.

Cons

Hugely high turnover. Your job is always on the line. If you trip once, you are out the door. Low pay for employees, high pay and ungodly perks for management (Limo rides every time they leave home). Good talent is scared away or terminated, and the rest of us are expected to keep going without the support we need.

Be fair to your people. Learn to recognize talent and don't shoot yourself in the foot because you don't like one thing about somebody.

A Wireless Photos