A Wireless
www.awireless.net Greenville, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

A Wireless Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Rich Balot

Pros:
  • "The work environment is wonderful"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The decision to come on board with A Wireless was the best career move I ever made"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hires all of his frat brothers for upper management"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Inept upper management ranging from Store Leaders on up to the CEO"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Graciously accepted.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at A Wireless

ProsThe company has every asset in place for success.

ConsIf you think hard work is a con, this isn't the place to work. I view it as a pro, I've just been raised that way.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously amazing leadership. That is how a great company does it.

Great company that continues to improve in all areas.

Corporate (Current Employee)

I have been working at A Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- CEO and executive team has a hands-on approach and genuinely cares about all employees (i.e. team sends out individually written and signed birthday cards, anniversary cards, and achievement cards
- Very transparent organization that shares information with the team.
- Great growth opportunities for those that put in the time and effort.
- Good synergy between sales and operations.
- Constant review of systems and processes, determining if they are relevant, and adjusting accordingly

ConsOur industry forces us to makes quick decisions sometimes that causes us to react without the opportunity to vet through the pros and cons. Employees may see this as knee jerk reaction management, which it is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to; Never stop improving; Never be satisfied with the status quo

Growing and Maturing

I have been working at A Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA Wireless is a great place to develop your career. Good work and loyalty is absolutely rewarded here. I've worked in the corporate office for several years and have had the opportunity to learn tons and to get experience. Not only does it help my career, but the company is grows and learns as well.

Resources are constantly being added to try and improve the chances of making more money and encouraging growth as an individual. One good example is the Store Leader training the company does now--once a month 15-20 store leaders are brought in to NC to spend a week at the Corporate office so they can understand the company as a whole. It is a really open atmosphere where store leaders and corporate alike can share their comments and concerns.

ConsIt is definitely a sales organization, focused on the almighty dollar--but that's true for any company. A Wireless and the executive management spends countless hours trying to improve the ability of every employee to take home a fat paycheck (a very good thing). This, of course, is depending on the salesperson's ability to do their job well. I hear complaints, but they are usually from folks who aren't willing to do their part, but want the reward anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure your deadlines are driven by a total view of the company and not just financial targets--sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot by moving too fast.

Fun and dynamic environment

I have been working at A Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe environment is constantly changing at a fast pace with challenges coming at you left and right, so it is never dull and boring. Consistent hard work will pay off in the long run. Yearly Summit always a success throughout the company.

ConsAt times a little hard to multitask and do the job to the best of your ability. Compensation as far as PTO/Sick time could be a little better as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore rewards and recognition for outstanding work. Bring back employee of the month

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at A Wireless full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI started out as a sales rep and was promoted to store manager. They changed the commission structure a few times.

ConsThe comapny went through quite a few district managers quickly. Instead of hiring the most qualfied person they hired based on favortism

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people like they are more then just numbers.

It can be better...

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at A Wireless full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat way of meeting people. There are some possibilities of moving up the chain of command.

ConsPut in lots of hours (working six days a week), and no recognition for work efforts. Huge on favoritism, which leaves others behind in many opportunities. Leads by fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lead by fear...

Very unorganized.

I have been working at A Wireless

ProsPossibility of money is there.

ConsPoor management. Poor commission structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your homework first!! When it comes to expanding a business you need to look at employees past achievements. Keep the good ones, and hire even better. Expose the chain of command.

Horrible place to work. Cannot believe they have grown as a company.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at A Wireless full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is a job. That is basically all I can say that is positive. If you desperately need a job, apply on their website.

ConsThere are many cons to this company. I read good reviews and I am blown away at how anyone can be positive about this place. The pay is definitely not there. It is not because I am lazy. No one in my store is making money. We would make more flipping burgers somewhere. The benefits may not cost much, but they also have very high deductibles and they do not cover anything! The medical, dental, and vision are horrible. You would be better off on Obamacare! Everyone in my store was lied to about what the basis of the job was. We were corporate trained by another company and all very talented and extremely knownledgable (More than any other employee by A Wireless) and I am just shocked at how this company is ran! I cannot believe that with the mixed answers you get from upper management (because no one knows the right answer) that they are competent enough to run a business. We never have enough stock on the shelves. The accessories we are provided to try to sell people are very very low quality, half of the phones we got in to sell would not even come on. I would not buy any of it myself. It is embarrassing and extremely unprofessional. I am very shocked that this company has grown. I guess this is all the reason for the high turnover! Any one that reviews that they are making money and their reps are making money, i dont believe it. And just for the record dealing with all the stress that comes with a retail wireless job, 30-35,000 is not making money!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou definitely need to be trained by the corporate side and also look into getting WAY better merchandise in your stores to sell to people. Also, lying to people to get them to work for you is not the way to go.

Keep an eye on your paycheck, they like to short it everytime...

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at A Wireless full-time for less than a year

Prosa paycheck, even thought it isnt complete

ConsMICROMANAGEMENT..long work hours, stupid comm structure, MICROMANAGEMENT, ridiculous goals, owner of company is a fox news junkie, Regional Managers have too much power and do nothing but yell at lower employees, MICROMANAGEMENT need i say more

Not a bad job

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Roanoke, VA

I have been working at A Wireless full-time for more than a year

ProsMin Wage Hourly + Commission

Lots of contests to win things like gift cards, phones, accessories, and the big one this year was to go on a cruise!

Employee discounts of 35% on accessories

Other $$$ incentives

Some have been complaining about compensation, but I've been working here a year and actually got dollar raise on my hourly wage about 2 months ago. I've won a couple phones through contests, and several gift cards by selling to certain demographics, small businesses, and other things. It's not bad at all. You get 35% off accessories, and lots of times the District or Regional Manager can work with the price of a phone if you're in the market for a new model.

I read one review that said commission would never go above 6%...they either don't know how to sell or are lazy. I hit the 10% commission tier and haymaker pretty regularly, and I don't work more than 50 hours a week (always with two days off) in a small, rural area (we only have three reps!). Those people that come in needing basic troubleshooting, repairs, and bill payments? They're opportunities to sell something. I've sold lots of things as solutions to problems, or just by paying attention to what the customer was looking at. Simple stuff that can help you make more money. Last month I did 64 boxes!

ConsDealing with the public sometimes is a strain

Some stores are very negative and have a poor work environment, but it depends on the people there more than anything. My store is fantastic.

Working most holidays, not Thanksgiving and Christmas, but most of the others
Insurance is cheaper if you get it individually...it's actually a pretty ridiculous price, and that was before the Affordable Health Care Act came into play.

Also, it's not really worth it in my mind to go after a Store or District Leadership position in my mind. I can make similar money (sometimes more in the case of my Store Leader) with much less stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can see both sides of the reviews listed, and honestly, it has a lot to do with the environment in which you work. I work in a medium traffic store with a great store leader and reps that get along with each other. There is no undercutting, backstabbing, or thieving of sales by anyone, and since we all get along, I actually enjoy going to work. I know there are other stores (some in my district) that have a more toxic work environment, and I could really see some of the negative reviews coming from there or stores similar to them. It's paramount to have people you actually like in order to be productive at something and that includes where you work too.

I feel like some of the upper management (RM, DM, and to an extent, the SL) are under a tremendous amount of pressure to be perfect in several metrics across the board. I know sales is a results-driven process, but when the stress gets passed down from corporate, the the regions, to the districts, then you end up with corners being cut, jobs being threatened, toxic work environments, and sometimes illegal activity. The best advice I can give you is to get rid of stupid metrics like how many screen protectors and battery banks you sell and stick with the basics: boxes, home services, accessories, insurance %. Also, try not to put too much of a burden on the managers in the different regions; I feel like that gets passed down (sometimes unfairly) to other managers and sales reps, and that's what leads to some of the turnover and negativity. If that's not possible, then I would expect some stores to continue being unproductive messes.

Worked for A Wireless? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at A Wireless reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for A Wireless CEO Rich Balot . All 68 reviews posted anonymously by A Wireless employees.