A&E Networks Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Contractor

I worked at A&E Networks

Pros

Liked the people and the work

Cons

Corporate management doesnt seem to understand team needs

2. It was a pretty good experience, until they laid me off without warning after working there 8 years!

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at A&E Networks (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Lucrative company. Typical television network. Great benefits package, particularly medical.

Cons

No loyalty to its employees. Salaries on the low side. Only care about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees. More loyalty.

Micromanagement IT Nightmare

Current Employee - Service Desk Support Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Service Desk Support Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at A&E Networks

Pros

Seems like a great place to work in other areas of the company. Nice offices great food areas. Great location close by grand central. Coworkers seemed very nice and knowledgeable.

Cons

Management is absurd, Heavy Micromanagement is an understatement to how the IT Help Desk is being run. I was constantly afraid to even leave my chair to go to the bathroom because we would be scolded how long we were gone for. I was scared to pick up calls from my spouse or kids cause, I felt like my work mother was scolding me on a daily basis. I wouldnt talk to my kids the way I was spoken too and treated. Everyone here is a Consultant. A&E I guess doesn't want to invest in anyone for long term. People here have worked 6 years or more before being offered a salary based position with benefits. Also I feel there is a lot of reverse discrimination since IT management is run only by females and they act like all men around them are stupid. If you like being micromanaged and treated like a child to work in a place that real has no long term future for any of its IT staff, then this is the place for you. Otherwise Run!

Advice to Management

Let people be people. We're humans not dogs. Investing in people means offering full time positions with benefits and a future at your company, not the feeling that you can be discarded like trash and that your worthless.

Sales Service Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at A&E Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good first job out of college. Once you can juggle schedule changes, flighting, requests from clients, requests from your AE, prelogs/postlogs, putting in last minute plans into Gabriel using Panda for avails (all lingo you'd understand once hired), you really learn how to multitask and prioritize which is a great skill for any future job.

Cons

The politics at this company and "fake" rules they have created to prevent "premature" promotions at this place are ridiculous. If you are good at your job and have a complete grasp on your position and what you do, you should definitely be promoted, assuming that you're the best at it and have a successful "pitch." It's a great name to have on your resume, but it's just that. They need to look at some of their AE and re-evaluate their value to the company. Pay? Forget about it, half of what they COULD be paying you goes towards silly A&E promotions like keychains and miniature dustpans. A higher up used to say that we were "pretty much volunteers."

Advice to Management

There is a huge disconnect between the Training department and the Sales Department. They should be working with each other, not against each other. Enough with the finger pointing. My exit interview was very unprofessional. I didn't seem to please them with enough gossip and negativity.

My experience at A+E has been great thus far.

Current Employee - Programming Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Programming Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at A&E Networks

Pros

It's a family friendly company with a laid back yet professional work environment. The company also has an enviable reputation in broadcast and cable television.

Cons

They don't allow much room for mistakes.

Advice to Management

Train managers and above to develop their employees more. Many people I have talked to feel their supervisors are only concerned with their own jobs/careers and not helping to grow those who work under them to advance.

7. probably great if you're one of the few staff hires

I worked at A&E Networks

Pros

fun atmosphere, nice new offices

Cons

most employees are permalancers, are not paid well and do not have health benefits. they went to a new system, where they hire you through a temp agency and say that you can get healthcare through them. however the cost is the same as buying it on the open market and the quality is not great. they treat everyone as a temp even at the director level - it's how they save money rather than treating you like a real employee/person.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees like people and not just a means to an end.

8. Great people & Good Benefits

Current Employee - Pricing & Inventory Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pricing & Inventory Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at A&E Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is causal and when business is good you get alot of perks i.e free gifts, paid happy hours, etc. Alot of great people and they promoted from within.

Cons

Long hours depending on your department--I'm in ad sales. The pay is a little above the industry standard but still not great for entry level.

Advice to Management

They have some dinosaurs in management that need to be weeded out to improve operations and give some stagnant departments new life

a poorly run place

I worked at A&E Networks full-time

Pros

benefits for full-time workers are competitive. work does not continue past work hours and into your personal life unless you are the one responsible for that. culturally, after hours work is reserved for those being compensated at a senior exec level. anything less than VP, your personal time is normally respected. Weekends are your weekends.

Cons

communication is poor, no central extranet systems, too many departments with their own operating systems - no universality across the company. Many departments do exercises that come to no fruition (too often). Extremely political. senior management are often inept and outdated, dead weight. very gossip driven environment, salary info is freely discussed. C-Suite does not have a wholistic bird's eye view of their own culture and inner workings. company is top heavy with long term freelancers who get mediocre benefits and empty promises of conversion. most departments are skeleton crews. CEO's favored departments get the most resources while other divisions suffer. competitive benefits are used to argue lower than average salaries. very little upward mobility.

Advice to Management

get up to speed with other major media companies. everything feels amateurish here, from the operations, branding, down to the building itself.

10. I am having a wonderful experience.

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at A&E Networks

Pros

the staff and permalance staff are professional and friendly and everyone does their jobs.

Cons

i wish the building had a better cafeteria.

Advice to Management

the building should have less fire drills but that not be up to management.

11. Tough and Bipolar

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at A&E Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, awesome brands, driven people, good business, poor technology.

Cons

OMG the politics - its insane. Makes a soap opera look tame. Some rather insane promotions based on kissing posterior rather than anything else. Tech seems to be dominated by the goal to bring in as many offshore candidates as possible who cover each others mistakes. On the business side we were underwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting rear orifices.

RSS Feed </> Embed