A&P

Be The First To
Add Photos

A&P President and CEO Samuel M. (Sam) Martin III

Samuel M. (Sam) Martin III

Pros:
  • "Good Benefits in todays hard economy"
    in 3 reviews
  • "lots of good people in the trenches"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "no raises, no bonus, no 401K match, poor management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "low pay after 4 years of working"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nothing to brag about

Cashier (Current Employee)
Valley Cottage, NY

I have been working at A&P part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get paid every week. Every Thursday if you have direct deposit and every Friday if you just receive checks.

ConsThe equipment is sooooo horrible (for cashiers)
Old keyboards. Like seriously? Can we please update or....?
Don't really get more than 28 hours a week..

Advice to Senior ManagementUPDATE THE STORE AND GET NEW CASHIERING EQUIPMENT PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
Little Silver, NJ

I worked at A&P part-time for more than a year

ProsNot difficult, friendly coworkers, job training provided

ConsFew hours, inconsistent managers, over priced, few job perks

good job

Cashier/Deli/Grocer (Current Employee)

I have been working at A&P part-time for less than a year

Prosclose to home, decent pay, friendly coworkers, employee discount card

Cons- one of the front ends practically fought to prevent me from transferring to the deli
- the district manager believes more in making himself look better as opposed to customer service (wants cashiers scanning 18 items/minute)
- the district manager cut our hours, leading me to get a 2nd job at a competing store
- the employee discount card should take 10% off of everything, not just sale items.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to focus more on the customer instead of trying to make yourself look like a better manager
need to reward hard working employees more (a good job or a pat on the back isn't always enough)
while the union requires us to work 12 hours a week minimum, i believe the company should raise the minimum amount of hours
if an employee quits and gets rehired a short time later, he shouldn't be treated as if he is a new employee in the system (i know a guy who left a&p for a month and when he came back he lost all the tenure he built up)

"Thirty four years of loyalty for nothing."

Clerk (Current Employee)
Ventnor City, NJ

I have been working at A&P part-time for more than 10 years

ProsMade some life long friends that have become part of my family.
Good pay-because of time served
Good benefits-for now

Poor communication from management
Dirty store conditions
Poor merchandising
No follow through
Ridiculous new programs to generate business, that don't work!
No appreciation for hard work
No respect for knowledgeable employees
Poor management in general

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere do I start, this company was the innovator for supermarkets, they were the first, the best. They had low prices, and high quality merchandise, they were the original Walmart and Whole Foods. They were managed well and everyone involved did well financially. They were the top of the industry.
Through bad executive decisions and poor management through the last thirty years, this company is at the bottom, through the grace of GOD is still operating.
My advice to management is focus on GREAT customer service. Go back to basics, 8 o'clock coffee, bulk foods, coffee, tea, spices etc.
Unload ALL your managers (at store level and above) and hire people who have the ability to make this company what it once was through good decision making, hard work and GREAT managing skills. Don't try to cheapskate out of paying the right people.

New Business Plan Needed

Not Available (Current Employee)
Montvale, NJ

I have been working at A&P full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany good for getting another line on your resume.

ConsCorporate headquarters have too many new people who are not familiar enough with the workings of a supermarket. Poor decision making processes by CEO's have resulted in double digit loss of sales across all banners. Layoffs happen approximately twice a year depending upon how many people have left during the 6 month time period.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to get back to Supermarket Basics 101. Customers want good prices, better service, clean and updated facilities. A&P banners are absolutely viewed as the high price retailer. Customers cannot find an employee to help them since there are none in the aisles. I have been in some facilities where the frozen cases are down and empty every other time I am in the building. Much improvement is needed. Stop spending a fortune on expensive programs such as Galleria, Fifth Dimension and PDO display programs until you are solid ground. The initialization of these programs has not helped to get back lost sales. The opposite has actually occurred. Hopefully, the company cannot go any lower.

You'll be looking for a new job after your first day.

Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee)
Edison, NJ

I worked at A&P full-time for more than a year

ProsAlways busy with multiple tasks, making the day go by fast. Casual attire. Allowed to leave 15 minutes early by not taking second break.

ConsUnnecessary and repetitive tasks that make it harder to get real work done. Unreasonably high benefit contributions ($1,400+). No raises. Bullying and false accusations are a daily occurrence - especially towards newer employees. High turnover - half the clerks quit or are fired every 18 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the slackers, disruptors and bullies - especially those in management. Give your good employees raises or they will look for employment elsewhere.

Awesome company to work for.

I have been working at A&P

ProsPeople are great. The people are friendly and make working for A & P so much more inviting and satisfying. Work conditions are also the best

Conslots of travel. but its pART OF THE JOB AND YOU GET USED TO IT. AGAIN WORKING WITH GREAT PEOPLE MAKES THE TRAVEL WORTH THE TRIP

Meh, its superfresh

Customer Service (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at A&P part-time for less than a year

ProsSome caring People, friendly co workers

ConsUnfair management in most cases, unnecessarily angry customers

It was what it was.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Old Tappan, NJ

I worked at A&P part-time for more than a year

ProsThe ten percent discount. That's pretty much it, and the rest of this sentence is strictly intended to fill the twenty word minimum.

ConsWorking at a grocery store. Its not very fun and doesn't make you feel very good about yourself. The company does little to encourage their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile working at A$P, the amount of produce I witnessed being wasted was truly disgusting and downright disturbing. I couldn't believe the sheer volume of food that was being thrown straight into the trash, and top it all off, some of the food was still completely edible! I understand that people want fresh green bananas to bring home, but throwing them all away? C'mon guys, get it together and donate it all to a homeless shelter or to people in need. This to me is absolutely sickening and downright wrong. Because my recommendations for a guaranteed, direct solution to problem were unheard, I chose to part with the company, along with several other factors not worth getting into now. Believe me you, they were just as bad.

Unfortunate

Director (Current Employee)
Montvale, NJ

I have been working at A&P full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA lot of good dedicated employees who want the company to succeed.

ConsPoor decisions by executive management. Advancement is often who you know and not what you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your talented employees. For executive team, find something to differentiate the company. Follow through with initiatives.

Worked for A&P? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at A&P reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for A&P CEO Samuel M. (Sam) Martin III. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by A&P employees.