A&P Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

2.3

A&P President & CEO Paul Hertz
Paul Hertz

Pros
  • You get the customer service experience you need to apply to a better job that requires cash handling and customer service experiences (in 3 reviews)

• Good Benefits in todays hard economy (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • no raises, no bonus, no 401K match, poor management (in 8 reviews)

• low pay after 4 years of working (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

a tough company these days to work with

Former Employee - Scanning Administrator  in  Croton-on-Hudson, NY
    Former Employee - Scanning Administrator in Croton-on-Hudson, NY

I worked at A&P full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good pay at the time I started working there and health benefits

Cons

not enough help not enough pay

expect to much of employees

Simple, however I did not like the job very much.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Mohegan Lake, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mohegan Lake, NY

I have been working at A&P part-time for more than a year

Pros

My actual job was very easy and simple, I was a cashier and as long as I did not miss to ring anything up it would be great. Sometimes you would get free food. The discount on the groceries was pretty awesome. At least at my job, all of my friends worked there.

Cons

The job was so simple that it was a large bore. Also you could not move really away from your register so I always felt tied down.

Management was ok, however she played favorites. She liked me but if you get on her bad side it could be very bad for everyone.

Getting worse every day

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at A&P full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best part of working at A&P is my co-workers. A lot of us really care about each other. The work isn't terribly complicated. Our schedule is somewhat flexible. They did recently start matching our 401, up to 4.5% .

Cons

We haven't gotten a raise in about 8 years. Our health insurance keeps rising. They took some of our holidays away. Policy's keep changing as management changes. They cut our departments making it impossible not to fall behind. Some of the managers are completely clueless. They don't know how to do the work, don't show up for work, and don't know how to manage.

Lower the prices! Get rid of the dead weight. Stop treating employees like babies. Stop the abusive spending. Give employees a raise. Stop taking things away from the employees and give something back.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Struggling company not interested in their corporate employees

Former Employee - Director  in  Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Montvale, NJ

I worked at A&P full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company but has some advantages of small company such as senior executives are accessible and easy to talk to people. Hours are okay and company is generally flexible about work life balance.

Cons

No raises in 5 years and no bonuses except to senior management. Benefits are very limited, Constant downsizes and that is not expected to end any time soon,

To keep the good people, offer raises even if small. Care about your employees.

Would loved to have worked there full time as a permanent worker.

I worked at A&P as a contractor

Pros

Short time I was there I learned a great deal and management was very appreciative of my work, Hope the company is able to get through their financial issues.

Cons

The company is struggling to survive

A&P

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Baldwin, NY
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Baldwin, NY

I have been working at A&P full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great place for young people to gain some work experience, certain departments can certainly yield more useful skill sets for the future

Cons

cutbacks, union coddling, pay rate/little hours available

Won't be around long before they go out of business.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at A&P full-time

Pros

You will always have a job because they won't fire you even if you are a bad worker.

Cons

You won't get a raise. They haven't been any in the last 7yrs that why they won't fire you. No one else want the job. Over worked and under paid for some people, others just glade there way thru.

Give credit where credit is due. You are not doing anyone a favor by giving them a job.

Department Manager, store level Deli

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at A&P full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay if been around for 30 years. Depending on which department you work in vacation time, personal time and sick days is well worth it. Time in a half paid to some departments on sundays and paid holidays.

Cons

Poor store management in most cases. Looking to close stores so you are not allowed to push sales to help save your store. Minimum wage paid for first 2 hrs in a work week. Transferred whenever they want to transfer you. Not very receptive to feedback on bettering stores. Their older generation of employees need to be retrained or company will continue to do bad. District managers are only worried about themselves and not the business. Only 16 hrs a week for part-time. Will force you to push items that dont sale. Sanitation in most store especially ones closing is very poorand looked over. Dont treat employees fear.

If you want to keep this company to start to thrive again listen to your in-store employees and customers. DM's dont always know whats best especially in district 72, dont know about other districts. If your employees aren't encouraged to do better they wont specially with store managers not caring at all. For example the North Yonkers store where you are not allowed to push sales. Actions speak louder than words your can not just send an email to fix a problem. And last if you have store managers, department managers, and full timers who do wrong and are effortless with their work you can't expect part timers to work productively or professionally. Layoffs do need to happen but to the right people not the wrong people and the union is stopping that from happening along with store management not willing to hold people responsible for their actions. You need a more productive team at store level and a wiser team at corporate level that is not afraid to do the right thing. There is more but if you dont start somewhere this company will continue to fail. But as it seems that may be the goal of corporate to take it down than you are on the right page.

Not great, not terrible

Former Employee - Front End Manager
    Former Employee - Front End Manager

I worked at A&P part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits; guarantee a minimum of hours if part time; for the most part you have good, competent employees

Cons

A lot of teenagers are employed; HQ doesn't know what they're doing; power hungry managers

Stop micromanaging; treat employees respectfully

Excellent work conditions if you enjoy your position.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Randolph, NJ
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Randolph, NJ

I worked at A&P part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Received many accolades and awards for my work with A&P in the store level. If you showed initiative in your position then you received more hours. The union has its perks on healthcare and advice.

Cons

Tried on numerous occasions to get into corporate offices but it never happened.

Promote into corporate the ones that match the skills and have the experience that would be a valuable asset to the corporation.

Worked for A&P? Contribute to the Community!