A&P

Be The First To
Add Photos

A&P President & CEO Paul Hertz

Paul Hertz

Pros
  • You get the customer service experience you need to apply to a better job that requires cash handling and customer service experiences(in 3 reviews)

• Good Benefits in todays hard economy(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • no raises, no bonus, no 401K match, poor management(in 8 reviews)

• low pay after 4 years of working(in 4 reviews)

A&P

Department Manager (Current Employee) Baldwin, NY

Prosgreat place for young people to gain some work experience, certain departments can certainly yield more useful skill sets for the future

Conscutbacks, union coddling, pay rate/little hours available

Not great, not terrible

Front End Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits; guarantee a minimum of hours if part time; for the most part you have good, competent employees

ConsA lot of teenagers are employed; HQ doesn't know what they're doing; power hungry managers

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging; treat employees respectfully

Excellent work conditions if you enjoy your position.

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Randolph, NJ

ProsReceived many accolades and awards for my work with A&P in the store level. If you showed initiative in your position then you received more hours. The union has its perks on healthcare and advice.

ConsTried on numerous occasions to get into corporate offices but it never happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote into corporate the ones that match the skills and have the experience that would be a valuable asset to the corporation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Department Manager, store level Deli

Department Manager (Current Employee) Yonkers, NY

ProsGood pay if been around for 30 years. Depending on which department you work in vacation time, personal time and sick days is well worth it. Time in a half paid to some departments on sundays and paid holidays.

ConsPoor store management in most cases. Looking to close stores so you are not allowed to push sales to help save your store. Minimum wage paid for first 2 hrs in a work week. Transferred whenever they want to transfer you. Not very receptive to feedback on bettering stores. Their older generation of employees need to be retrained or company will continue to do bad. District managers are only worried about themselves and not the business. Only 16 hrs a week for part-time. Will force you to push items that dont sale. Sanitation in most store especially ones closing is very poorand looked over. Dont treat employees fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep this company to start to thrive again listen to your in-store employees and customers. DM's dont always know whats best especially in district 72, dont know about other districts. If your employees aren't encouraged to do better they wont specially with store managers not caring at all. For example the North Yonkers store where you are not allowed to push sales. Actions speak louder than words your can not just send an email to fix a problem. And last if you have store managers, department managers, and full timers who do wrong and are effortless with their work you can't expect part timers to work productively or professionally. Layoffs do need to happen but to the right people not the wrong people and the union is stopping that from happening along with store management not willing to hold people responsible for their actions. You need a more productive team at store level and a wiser team at corporate level that is not afraid to do the right thing. There is more but if you dont start somewhere this company will continue to fail. But as it seems that may be the goal of corporate to take it down than you are on the right page.

Bi-Polar company

Melon Bar Clerk (Current Employee) Bethpage, NY

ProsThe Department Managers are the Best!

ConsThe company wants alot of extras but the don't give the man power or hours to fulfill the extas that they want, some things are just impossible for a part-timer to do in 4 hours a day. if you have to stay you are made to feel like a criminal

Advice to Senior ManagementThier should be more hours for some jobs in the summer especially the melon bar, 4 hours a day for one person and an extra person friday and saturday just doesn't cut it

Get out what you put in

Receiver (Current Employee) Hewitt, NJ

ProsYou get paid weekly, flexible with schedule. Most people you work with are nice people who will treat you well

ConsCorporate and the District Managers add too many things to do and not enough time or help to accomplish the goals. Look at how to save money, not how to MAKE money.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee feedback, they are in store everyday.

Cashier at A&P

ProsYou get the customer service experience you need to apply to a better job that requires cash handling and customer service experiences.

ConsPay is too low, too few hours ad a part timer

money, thats about all.

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)

Prosthe job is not hard when you have a team that works together.

Consany percs slowly taken away over time due to terrible corporate decisions. belittling of employees, offering minimum wage level salaries to be in charge of $400,000 weekly operations.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat people with respect. thats all.

Nothing to brag about

Cashier (Current Employee) Valley Cottage, NY

ProsYou get paid every week. Every Thursday if you have direct deposit and every Friday if you just receive checks.

ConsThe equipment is sooooo horrible (for cashiers)
    Old keyboards. Like seriously? Can we please update or....?
    Don't really get more than 28 hours a week..

Advice to Senior ManagementUPDATE THE STORE AND GET NEW CASHIERING EQUIPMENT PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!

I hated it.

Cashier (Current Employee) Yonkers, NY

ProsThe only thing I liked was you get paid weekly. The customers were great and most of the staff were great, The manager was great. He was nice and very kind.

ConsYour schedule would change the day before and you could go from working a 4 hour shift to working a 8 hour shift with no warning. The staff talked down to you in front of the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch who you hire and pay attention to how everyone is treated. There should be equal treatment to everyone.

Worked for A&P? Contribute to the Community!