A&R Transport

James E. Bedeker

Losing the Morale and Integrity

Former Employee - Systems Driver
    Former Employee - Systems Driver

I worked at A&R Transport full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Among the older veterans, what's left, there seems to still be a since of family oriented energy. The work load is available, busy and fast -paced, which is GREAT in the transportation industry! The ability to transfer among other locations is a good plus as well.

Cons

This company was viewed by it's peers in the industry as one of the elite places to be employed. The founder and his values created a platform for a dynamic company , that should be or could be so much more. However, since new owners have taken over , the morale is down, family spirit is gone, and the crabs in the barrel have begun. It seems as though many in management and upper management are all battling to be the "leader" but are clueless how to lead. Growth is necessary and change is inevitable , but when done in a disgraceful manner it won't be well received. Would you rather loose an empire or build one? The atmosphere is disconnected. Drivers don't know executive staff, executive staff don't know warehouse/scale house , terminals are not acquainted with other terminals. The disconnect is obvious and embarrassing.

I would advise being a Man/Woman of your word! Implement change in a conducive manner. Be willing to address issues by spending time with(shadowing) and acknowledging the concerns of all of your staff, especially drivers. It's hard to point and dictate with the same level of respect as you would get if you saw things 1st hand from the other point of view.Don't be politicians. Earn respect and trust don't demand it. Show & Prove. Mostly acknowledge that as a whole, the company has lost an EXTREME amount of good,veteran,loyal , and even new Drivers in the past 12 months. As well as experienced lost in the office staff, customer service,fleet managers, and we all know the list can go on..... The point is , if you look at these facts and numbers in hind sight, acknowledge that somewhere you are going wrong. Things have to get better and accept the part you're playing in the demise of what used to be Phenomenal company! There are a lot of great people that are trying to stick it out hoping that things will turn around. But if not sooner than later , there won't be much to salvage. Support your people and constructively move forward. Although I've moved on, I hope the right person takes the time and makes the right decisions that will make A &R one of the elite places to be again. Wish you luck from my rear view mirror.

Down hill slide since the company was bought out by investors and is being managed by former Schneider execs.

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Morris, IL
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Morris, IL

I worked at A&R Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll get plenty of exercise doing the job. Driving is only a fraction of the skill needed to operate a pneumatic trailer. Loading/unloading is physical and requires lifting pulling climbing pushing 60 to 100 lb stainless hoses.

Cons

Management is now holding your hand and breathing down your neck from start to finish. The company and how you do your job is being systematically changed. The result is you make less money. I made 7k less last year than the year before due to these changes. Ie: e-log, turning down the trucks to 66mph and dispatch procedures.

A&R was once a great company with very little turnover and a waiting list of drivers wanting to get into the company. Since you took over you have lost a great % of your experienced drivers and the new ones are washing out after 2 or 3 months. Drivers are quitting faster than you can hire them for a reason. This is a bulk company not a dry van Schneider company. Try putting things back in place that had made this company the great place it was and it will continue to grow. At the rate you're losing drivers you will soon lose customers. Put the drivers first and if you're going to put a whole new set of expectations on drivers that reduces their production you'll need to fix the pay package and not drag your feet. The pay versus all the new expectations you've put on drivers is the reason so many have and are quitting. There needs to be a better balance.

Bullied

I worked at A&R Transport

Pros

Most of the drivers are friendly. Occasionally decent paychecks. Always trying to send you through the house.

Cons

Forced dispatch. System drivers are just fill ins for local work. Can't depend on trucks to get you anywhere. Truck going into shop will take 3+ weeks every time. Complain about driver, manager, dispatcher and you'll be in a three way call making things worse. Insurance very expensive and you'll still pay $1500 out of pocket for any service. Harassment by micro managing ego maniacs and broken down equipment keep drivers running away regretting ever signing on.

Practice what you preach! Drivers are what makes this company thrive. Get rid of reginal/terminal managers, dispatchers that multiple drivers have complained about instead of sweeping complaints under the rug. You're going to bankrupt this company keeping them employed.

Small company trying to run like a big company

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Morris, IL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Morris, IL

I have been working at A&R Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of work
    Load/Unload yourself
    Customers are pretty driver friendly

Cons

OLD run down equipment. (trucks and trailers)
    Breakdown procedures
    Communications between dispatch and maintenance

Hire for your need. I was hired as an over the road driver, but all I've run is regional and local
    Assign drivers to dispatchers so we know who we're supposed to talk to

Everyone is nice, they just don't pay you what they say they will.

Current Employee - Driver in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Driver in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at A&R Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people. They want you to work there, they really do, and they will be VERY nice to get you to work for them.

Cons

Low pay. They tell you that you will make, to start, $1250 a week or more, only you don't. They tell you you'll work Monday through Friday, but then want you to work the weekends.

Pay your people what you say you will.

Every year has gotten worse. They've lost their best drivers.

Current Employee - Driver in Morris, IL
    Current Employee - Driver in Morris, IL

I have been working at A&R Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent insurance and vacation paid in full whether you take it or not

Cons

Where to begin. The pay package is a joke. They've taken more money out of drivers pockets than anything else. My YTD pay is down over 8k compared to last year. I've tried everything to get it up to to last year to no avail.

I'd be wasting my breath.

Greatly fell short of expectations.

Former Employee - Warehouseman
    Former Employee - Warehouseman

I worked at A&R Transport

Pros

If you are a truck driver, the rate of pay is good, but this is not the A&R of twenty years ago. There's a great disconnect when dealing with people on a personal basis now.

Cons

Unless you were a truck driver or upper management, you felt your position was unappreciated. The culture seemed to point to people being expendable.

It would be good if this new leadership didn't seem to value only their worth. Everyone in a company lends to its success.