A is for Apple

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
1.4

Marilyn Freeman

Must be flexible and emotionally strong in order to deal with the nature of the work and company

I have been working at A is for Apple

Pros

Working directly with children, teaching programs, seeing small improvements.

Cons

No sick time, no vacation time. Low pay. When there is more than a 1.5hour break between sessions, there is no compensation for drive time, nor mileage compensation. Ie, let's say after a gap, you have to drive 32miles and it takes 35mins, but on the safe side you depart 45mins earlier because of traffic, and this is for your 4p-6p appointment, you get $0 for the drive and $0 for mileage. Not to mention your hours started at 8am and you end at 6pm. The gaps already are a negative, plus you are punished by not getting paid drive time and miles during that gap. I TRULY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS AT ALL. It seems like a savings for the company and a HUGE loss for the employee, the aba therapist, who already works so hard for very little pay.

You must be able to handle A LOT of criticism from superiors and sometimes parents.

Inconsistent scheduling, therefore inconsistent paychecks, on top of low pay.

A LOT of work off hours without getting paid. Emails, phone calls, studying programs, reading clinic meeting notes, etc. I work at least 2-3hrs extra weekly without pay. But if you add drive time that I don't get paid for because of "gaps", then I work on average 6 hours non paid per week. Because I take this job seriously, I want to help the kids, so I do extra studying on aba practices and how to improve the implementation of programs, and studying new programs.

Pay gapped drive time and mileage. That is the least you can do for our hard work. It is a step towards showing the aba team that you respect our time and what we do. Also, since you know we have email correspondences and phone calls with Supervisors, pay us for it, a standard. For example, 2hours per 30hours worked, then we can get paid for our accountability emails, and any extra prepping for sessions, calls or emails. That way we as employees are fully valued and paid for our time and hard work.

Disogranized, stressful

Current Employee - Behavior Technician in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Technician in San Jose, CA

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you need a job... any job... they will hire you. It's hard to say no when the job market is so bad.

Cons

If you're sick, you can't just call one person. You have to call all the clients you were supposed to see that day, and send an email to your supervisor/HR as well. At one point we were given a harsh reminder of how many other people's lives are affected when we call in sick. (the supervisors, the office staff, the kids themselves, their families). Believe me, it's not like we want to call in sick, because we won't get paid. And with so few hours already, you need as many work hours as you can get your hands on. So the only time I could actually get some paid time off for being sick is if I happened to be sick at the same time one of my kids was. Between the guilt trip and not getting paid, calling in sick was usually the last thing I would want to do when I was sick. So I probably went to work anyway, got my kids sick, who probably got their other therapists (my coworkers) sick. All because the company won't pay for me to stay home and get healthy. What they don't seem to understand is if the kids get sick from me, they cancel their sessions and the company loses a LOT more money.

Pay in general. At hiring, I was told I'd get a dollar raise after doing some kind of evaluation, which came and went without a raise. When I asked Marilyn about my extra dollar, her email back was "Who said you would get a raise?" So unprofessional.

Lack of integrity and respect to employees. Sometimes you'd just get dropped from a case with no warning whatsoever. And no explanation other than "it was a scheduling thing." I would spend weekends crying after seeing one of my favorite kids disappear from my schedule. The supervisors will pick the therapists they are comfortable with and do what they can to get their favorite therapists the best hours. That's great if you happen to be one of their favorites! I did have one of those, and working on her cases was the only time I felt fulfilled at this company.

Reinforcers. You must buy your own reinforcers (toys). At previous companies I have used iPads and portable dvd players, but these aren't allowed here. It's hard to get a kid to work for a toy car, and I spent a lot of time and money on amazon looking for something my kids would want to work for. I bought a whole railroad set for one kid, and he loved it, and a month later his mom went out and bought an even better one! So mine was no longer powerful. And I had to resort to giving him snacks and candy instead (parent-supplied -you can't bring food to a kid's house).

Schedule. Most of the time, you'll get 8-10, 10:30-12:30, and 4-6. The 1:30-3:30 session is available but only maybe 20 therapists are lucky to get it. Instead of telling families "sorry, we don't have any therapists available for the 4-6 slot right now, can you do 1:30-3:30?" the company just hires a new, additional employee. So now you have two unhappy, underemployed employees rather than one happy, full time employee. You don't get paid for that gap between 12:30 and 4, and any gas you use to drive home for your extremely long break will not be compensated.

Insurance was lousy and expensive. Don't get it. Lucky for me, I got paid poorly enough that I qualified for federal assistance on my ACA (obamacare) insurance.

If you tell your employees when you hire them that you see a lot of turnover, it means you're doing something to send your employees away. Do everything you can to make your employees want to work for you, and want to tell their friends to work for you. Pay them for 40 hours a week, regardless of kids being sick, on vacation, or whatever. Put the burden on a scheduler to make sure your employees are all getting their hours. Give them paid time to get healthy rather than discourage employees from calling in sick. Take all the money you spent on the christmas party and help your employees pay their bills (and not qualify for federal assistance on their government health insurance).

Highly unprofessional! Poor ethics and too much focus on profit

I worked at A is for Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to meet and work with some wonderful children and families. Some of the supervisors are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Unfortunately, this is where the pros end.

Cons

The company does not respect anyone's time. The CEO is disrespectful of others in more ways than one, and holds little value in staff members. Profit is the top priority here.

Behavior Technician

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time

Pros

The opportunity to work with some great supervisors, which is not always guaranteed. The children and families.

Cons

-The company owner: unprofessional, prioritizes profit over client and employe care
    -Disorganization of the company
    -Implementing new frequently changing policies, and the use of sometimes uninformed policy changes to with-hold pay
    -Pay rate provides little incentive
    -Schedule is inconsistent and employees do not receive the amount of hours agreed upon
    The first few months I worked for the company, I had no clue what my payrate was. I requested the information and for access to my pay stubs, through HR, the front desk, email, phone, and multiple times in person. It took me months to be given an answer.
    Others who have worked in the field have ranked this company as one of the worst they have ever worked with as well as pointing out areas of misconduct.

Terrible money-hungry company

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at A is for Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're lucky, you will be assigned to work with a good supervisor who will be helpful to you. But that is rare... That's about it. Like mentioned in another review-- they will hire anyone who doesn't seem crazy.

Cons

Hired as "full-time" employee, but in reality you will get 20 hours a week, if you're lucky. The benefits package is expensive. You are hired as a contractor of services so that is also a downfall. HR is a terribly crankySO department who is not willing to work with you. Marilyn (CEO) is almost impossible to reach and I saw her 1 time during my employment and was not impressed. If you leave the company or are fired within a year, you owe the company $2400 for "reimbursement of the training fee." This is a terrible policy. I had to move out of the area because of family issues and 7 months later they billed me for this fee, FROM A COLLECTION AGENCY. They did not even have the decency to deal with me directly. They are not willing to work with you on figuring your unique situation out either. Training was sub-par and sparse, and many new employees have NO idea what they're getting themselves into or what constitutes good therapy. Many people are left in the dark and thus families are getting less than average services. Could not be more unhappy with my work experience at A is For Apple.

Build a connection with your employees. Respect your employees, and try to reach an understanding with people who have unforeseen circumstances in their lives. Be flexible. Be honest. Put in the amount of work that your employees are putting in every day to the company.

Disappointing as an employee, however, due to their employees they still deliver good services.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at A is for Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are working with children so it's rewarding, unless you are in management or administration, be it as a supervisor of therapists or an administrative desk person, there is no reward. Management leaves a lot to be desired.

Cons

Micro management at the top by a person who has no business managing others much less herself.

I cannot pay my bills...

Former Employee - Behavior Technician in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Technician in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at A is for Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sometimes you are on a case with the same kid every day at the same time. The senior therapists are making huge improvements in the professional training of new staff. Great learning environment. Staff get-togethers.

Cons

Schedules change so you don't get 30 hours per week for months. Huge gaps in the daily schedule so you are waiting in your car or killing time somewhere in between. Benefits package is expensive. Nearly 3K training fee if you quit before the end of the year. No PTO or sick leave. "Overtime" adds little more to your paycheck than regular time. New "Behavior Technicians" are hired and put on cases instead of more experienced staff. Expected to be "on-call" and make last-minute schedule changes.

Pay overtime to boost paychecks and motivation to take on sub sessions. Get a dedicated administrator to work on scheduling to put less burden on Consultants and to spread work out fairly. Allow for no-gap scheduling. 8-10 is too long a day to be hanging around for too little pay. 8-4 or 10-6 should also be considered full time RESPECT OUR TIME.

So bad

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist in San Jose, CA

I worked at A is for Apple as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They will hire anyone? Is that a pro? Honestly other than that I've got nothing.

Cons

Regardless of what they say there is no training. I was sent into houses alone with no idea what ABA even meant. They hire you as contractor so they don't have to pay employer fees and taxes. You get no benefits whatsoever. It's a scam.

The worst ABA company I've ever worked for.

I worked at A is for Apple

Pros

I liked the consultants during my time there. That is all.

Cons

-This company is incredibly disorganized.
    -Each consultant is assigned kids and they assign therapists onto the cases - I was lucky enough where I happened to meet a few who liked me and gave me hours. You are likely to get less hours if consultants do not like you - they will simply look through other schedules to assign to their cases.
    -Marilyn/HR staff - Rude. Not even constructive criticism, just simply rude. HR is so overworked they will snap at you. A member yelled at one of the consultants because she asked for scissors.
    -Therapists quit left and right and new hires with no ABA experience have no idea what they are doing even after orientation. I left after less than two months - along with 6 other therapists and one consultants. That is why you continuously see their ads on Craigslist.
    -Being in ABA is stressful. The extremely low pay ($15/hr).. I have no words. Most ABA companies will pay you around $20/hr.
    -Horrible scheduling- if you don't live in south bay, you are going to dread have an 8-10am session, then a 5 hour break, then another session at 3-5pm. Consultants did not care that I was commuting from San Francisco. You do not get paid for the 5 hours you do not have session. You're on your own.

If you gave higher pay, less therapists would leave to join Easter Seals.
    Fix the way you schedule sessoins

The kids are great, but company is disorganized

Current Employee - ABA Therapist in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - ABA Therapist in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hand-on experience with ASD kids, and the company is really trying to create a pleasant company culture

Cons

The training was very weak, and the company systems and channels of communication are very inefficient. I am not alone when I say I felt unprepared for my first few weeks of clients. HR and payroll makes many errors, and you are not compensated for the hours spent filling out time sheets and various forms, not to mention the time spent correcting such errors. There is also a dire lack of communication when it comes to company changes, leaving dozens of therapists in the dark, and an inconsistency in information provided to the families with whom we work. Lastly, there is too much inconsistency in the amount of hours a therapist will be assigned (e.g. a therapist may have applied and been hired as a full-time employee, yet be given as low as 22 hours of work a week).

Provide a newsletter or weekly meeting to discuss recent company changes, either fire the individual or provide more support for the HR/payroll position, get rid of the contract with the large monetary consequence for quitting after less than a year's time (especially since the company can't provide a consistent amount of hours for its employees).

A is for Apple Photos