A1 Solar Power

Life Changing

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A1 Solar is a great place to work! The people who work here are wonderful: intelligent, ambitious, motivated, and perhaps most important - FUN! The management team welcomes constructive feedback on business processes from every level of the organization. Additionally, A1 Solar invests a lot in their training and development team, which helps with personal and professional growth. It is very exciting to be part of such a fast growing company!!

Cons

None so far that I can see or have experienced

In need of executive overhaul

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tremendous growth (but stalled recently) and resources yet the field offices have a small business feel to it
    Great place for career start in renewable energy
    Enormous potential if more professional and experienced senior management team can be formed (or if acquired)
    A sales machine, unforgiving 100% commission, but fantastic training ground for residential sales

Cons

Tremendous turn over on all levels, low employee satisfaction rate and horrible brand reputation
    Company has outgrown owner/manager team but, not uncommonly, they have a hard time letting go
    No benefits, below par compensation and, at times, over aggressive micro management
    Unclear long term business strategy and total lack of mid and long term business development (telemarketing only)

You stand to lose what you have built if you cannot offer comparable compensation for your key employees and find and retain the leaders that can take this company to the next level. It is time for the owners to step back into a supporting role.

Ethical, Energetic, challenging work environment-- great people to work with

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Senior management team is very involved with daily operations, open door policy, focus on getting issues resolved, supportive can do attitude. Great team work culture, great employees. Causal work environment.

Cons

Needs more transparency to keep employees posted on big changes . Employee basic insurance benefit needs to be considered.

Promote good employees who really work hard and care! Promote positive work culture.

Good people and as great place to work

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (less than an year)

Pros

To be honest I have work for larger and smaller companies throughout the construction industry in all areas for years, I have never felt so at home in a place of work. It is like a second home, we consider & care for each other as family. if you have a question or a situation you can turn to anybody and receive help, not only from co workers or managers but upper management and owners. There is full balance for me between home, family and work. I'm just shy of a full year of working here and have learned and enjoyed every day.

Cons

benefits - Medical and 401k - wish we received them.

Lets keep on doing it.

The North Hollywood office has terrible managing. Nightmare.

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and you feel open to speak to management. As long as you aren't a telemarketer.

Cons

They have different branches. Basically for me, I was scheduling for multiple offices and they refused to hire more people to do such an OVERWHELMING job that was extremely underpaid. I was expected to answer my cell phone from 6am -11pm if a sale was made. They refused to give me a peer review for raise. Beware folks. They treat the telemarketers like dirt, although I wasn't a telemarketer. If you aren't Jewish or a hot girl, the chances are you will get treated like garbage.

Fix the Northhollywood office. The management there is extremely unprofessional and understaffed.

Fast growing company in Solar I
    In the process of opening 9th location
    still structuring and establishing process

Former Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to Grow, Opportunity to be promoted
    Green Industry, the future of the world helping customers save money
    Dynamic, Customers, Technology, Operations and MKT
    Young & Energetic Will become Nation Wide in the coming years

Cons

Hard work and a lot of demands
    Expectations for better and MORE all the time
    Detailed and Results oriented, Numbers are part of the culture

Uniformity
    Cross training
    Benefits
    "One on One"
    Stability

Why does A1 management over-promise and under-deliver?

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The small branches allows an employee to know everyone that they work with on a close basis. I believe the reason why this company works at such an amazing speed is because of the availability between. I appreciate the goal of this company to go after every roof, satisfy every customer and work through any obstacle.

Cons

This is a company that constantly over promises and under delivers. This is frustrating because the mantra we hear as employees is to do the opposite. I believe this is the reason why there is a lot of turn over with this company: past employees are tired of the open-ended promises from A1 and finding the solution with another company (benefits, better pay, better management, etc.) Also, some branches have strong politics that get in the way of working successfully with each other. Too much blaming others and not accepting the parts that the individual does have control over. This company also feels like it is obsessed with growth and but takes it's time providing support (or promotion) to the branches already established. Also, I have never worked for a company that has as many internet and server issues as A1. Finally, the customer service from this company is grossly lacking after installation and PTO.

Priority #1 for the employees - MEDICAL BENEFITS. Also if you want to keep employees for the long term, you need to create a yearly raise system that matches inflation. Please stop rewarding branches/employees with promises and then delivering something that is not only different but of lower quality. For example, I will never be motivated to win the "Employee of the Month" knowing that the reward is either make-up cleaner or deodorant (when the later was given to an employee earlier in the year, I felt insulted for that employee - "are they telling him that he smells bad?").

Reality working at A1 Solar Power

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time

Pros

Company is growing and expanding quickly. Lots of opportunities to get your foot in the door and learn about the Solar Industry. You will never get bored! Constantly moving and changing. The best part about working at A1 Solar Power are the people you work with. Very talented and conscientious.

Cons

Definitely not for people who do not like change. This is a fast moving company in a fast moving industry.

Need to become more competitive in the job market by offering benefits and competitive wages.

Endless opportunity

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is fast growing start up mode , in the solar industry .
    As employee there you can make a change , the ownership is open minded and willing to adapt .
    Hand on executive .

Cons

It's a startup so there isn't so much stability over there .

Keep on the direction you guys started , we can see you taking it in the right direction

Bad HR Practices

I have been working at A1 Solar Power

Pros

The company's vision is within reach. The possibility of personal growth with the company.

Cons

HR department is the only con. Don't expect anything you say to be kept in confidentiality. It's common practice to adjust or delete overtime hours you should by law be paid for because you worked the hours. If it weren't for the HR department it would have been easy to give the company at least a four star review.

Completely overhaul the HR department. Hire people for that department who have actual HR experience and knowledge of state laws.

A1 Solar Power Photos