A1 Solar Power

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
1.6

David Malka

Growing in leaps and bounds...

I have been working at A1 Solar Power for more than a year

Pros

Working here gives those who know what they are doing, the freedom to be specialists in their jobs. Upper management is not afraid to work--they're NOT the types to sit in their offices all day and just give orders. They will get out there and do the hands on work as well as make the executive decisions.

Cons

A1 Solar Power is a prime example of a company that started out very, very small and is growing large FAST. So fast, it may be hard for some in the company to keep up and accept inevitable change from 'family' to 'corporation'. This company has many departments where everyone wants to know everything, and as fast as the company is growing, that is not possible or probable anymore. This may leave some employees feeling slighted.

Upper management is extremely knowledgeable in Solar and conduct themselves with an open door policy to all. Sadly, many employees and mid/lower level managers do not know that. Everyone could learn much from each other. Adding newer, qualified professionals to help lead, plan and develop to run departments to take some weight off their backs will help too since the growth here is happening so fast. They've just started getting better on adding a few benefits, just do some more on a bigger scale just as fast as the growth, add in solid policies and procedures, more communications between upper management (they need to talk to each other!) that will have them work as a strong management team and stand together on one issue, will benefit how the employees see the company and continue to be a part of making it even greater.

SALES- All LIES if I could give them a negative 10 star rating i would

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with in the company. I did get a good education in how solar works and the in-home sales process. Easy to get hired in sales. Do you have a pulse? Even if it is barely a pulse that's all it takes.

Cons

The entire co. is based on lies. The claim is they have been in business since 1986 based on their Contractors lic. number. Fact is they bought that cont. lic. 4 years ago. Promises were at least 100K per year and 1.5 qualified leads per day. Reality, after "proving" ones commitment, 1 month of NO leads, I would get 1 lead per 6 day work week. Eventually up to 1.5 leads per week and the leads were not qualified and were terrible.. Their prices are extremely high.
    You are a 1099 independent contractor who is REQUIRED (if you want leads) to go to sales meetings twice a week. Otherwise, sit in the office and wait for a lead. Leads go to people closing the business. So until you close any business everyone higher up the ladder will get leads before you do. In an office with 10-15 salespeople and on average gets 3-4 leads from the company you can do the math and see what your chances of success are. This is like real estate, hire everyone, promise them he moon and the stars and hope they sell 1 or 2 deals to family and friends before they quit. The turnover rate is extraordinary. Just check out their ads on Craigs List. Every market, virtually every day they are making the same promises and the ads never come down because the turnover is so high

Your backend support is excellent. fast installs, dedicated office/install crews. Why don't you run your sales dept. the same way?

Don't Even Think About It!

Former Employee - Sales  in  Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Petaluma, CA

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros -

Cons

This company is morally bankrupt and will do anything to sell solar and employ every known trick to separate you from your money. They operate a call center that will not stop calling and have many many complaints filed against them in the state of California. They have only been in business for a few short years, not since 1986 as they claim. Bait and switch, false price drops, you name it, they do it. Their employee turnover rate is high because anyone with common sense and integrity soon figures out their deceptive practices and leaves . . .

Invest in core value training and develop integrity and proceed with honest business practices or, hire credible business leaders and let them run your business ethically.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Leads and goals

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time

Pros

Commissions are the only perk. Management will work with you until you don't produce the results they want.

Cons

Most leads are as a result of telemarketers badgering and lying to get you in the door. Not a place for people with a conscience. Takes too long for your checks and no base pay to sustain you.

Work off of honesty.

Motivational Training Center To Use The New Psychology Of Sales/To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Motivating

Current Employee - Sales  in  Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time for less than a year

Pros

One you can talk on your phone anytime like your working on a lead maybe people are just interviewing for a real Job.

Cons

10099 employee means you pay ALL taxes and Expenses out of your Pocket! Approx 35% for Irs,state s/s medical etc.. 20 % more for gas wear and tear and your time about 5.00 buck per hr. if that or minus! big expense! Low Profit! if the bad leads dont pay off ! 2-3 per week of people that where hammered by Telemarketers now you go in there and SELL CLOSE DONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER got it !!!! And go to mandatory meetings Free or no Leads they starve you!They hire you or so you think! the same day ( red flag)but your not a real employee! ( high turn over rate)They play the odds they mass hire 100 maybe 5 will work out ( spin doctors,Liars,twisted salesmen) then starve the one's they dont want and they leave on there own ! So if you want to roll the dice and pay your money out of pocket for a month and hope you get a sucker and you make 800.00 and after taxes & expenses and time below minumum wage GO FOR IT! just remember I told you so!

Get a Real JOB! Get out there and go door to door and sell and Ill give you 6% for every signed sealed and installed solar deal you would not last a week! No smile laugh and spin this review on the big screen and sucker all the new guy's to stay for free! No wonder 1/10 of 1 percent because of companies like yours and when the Telemarketers go bye bye ( very soon due to all the complaints) and incentives are gone by the Government at least you still got HERO!

A1 Solar Power Response

Aug 28, 2014Integrated Marketing Manager

Thank you so very much for placing a review on Glassdoor. A1 Solar Power Inc is in the process of seriously reviewing our Sales recruitment process company-wide, and feedback such as yours is very ... More

Worst Company Ever

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time

Pros

Nothing- there are no benefits, you are a slave to their terrible ways and lies. This is by far the worst company. It is ran by a bunch of complete idiots.

Cons

Low salaries, zero benefits, unprofessional people, glorified idiot sales reps, uneducated managers who don't know how to run a business, bad account management so workers are not paid on time or reimbursed, employees who do well and work hard are constantly stressed and overworked. I feel bad for everyone, myself included.

Get some professional advice in running a business and treating people right.

A1 Solar Power Response

Aug 28, 2014Integrated Marketing Manager

Thank you for your post -- and the points you've brought up are important to A1 Solar Power Inc as well. We are developing new procedures, bringing in more professionals to help put these policies in ... More

Crooks

Current Employee - Sales  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time for more than a year

Pros

Saty at home waiting for a call to try to sell to someone that only want a qoute who spends 30-70k without getting other offers first? only real old people then they talk to family members then the problems start thats why no bbb involvement anymore

Cons

employees pay all taxed fed,state,local,s/s medcare fica 40% plus all of your cost gas wear and tear on call

quit the b.s.

I have never been around a company where all of management are liars, write from the Sales Manger to the Owners.

Current Employee - Solar Salesman  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Solar Salesman in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time for less than a year

Pros

NONE - Nothing but Lies - This company is being investigated be all Gov. Agency's concerned.

Cons

I was not able to say what I wanted to say here. You can find the original text at yelp's website. Just search for A1
    Solar Power in Concord or LA

Quit your lying and follow The basic rules om honesty and PAY your employees.

This company leaves a very bad taste in everyone's mouth, it sells solar but is not "green".

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great and brilliant people in the trenches.

Cons

It is run as unprfessionaly as any company could be, by a handful of silver spoon fed boys who either have no clue or are up to no good.

You are on the Titanic and you are going down.

Asked to give 110% to make this company succeed- but at no benefit to the employees.

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All the office/install employees are awesome and the work atmosphere is pretty laid back.

Cons

No benefits for any A1 Solar employees, no paid vacation, no paid sick days, and most holidays are work days. They make us listen to these motivational meetings, and encourage us to work harder, give it your all, and together we will grow. This company has tripled in size and profits this last year, with NO profit sharing, $0 bonuses, no major raises in compensation, STILL no benefits after 2 years of being promised they were right around the corner, lies about bonuses to come... Just a whole lot of shady propaganda to get us to give more, so that the "partners" can make a killing, with absolutely no incentive for the people making this whole company float and be extremely profitable.

Take care of your employees better with incentives, the good one will leave us.

A1 Solar Power Photos

A1 Solar Power Employee Roof Installation
A1 Installation Team

+ Add Photo

Worked for A1 Solar Power? Contribute to the Community!