A1 Solar Power Reviews

1. The future.

Current Employee - Finance in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power

Pros

I have been working here for three months. I come from a corporate heavy background at the age of 23. I worked at Honda Coporate financial services, and many would think Honda was an amazing job; however, it was , but I can truly say I enjoy waking up each day to help each customer than I did at Honda. I've had the great opportunity to learn a lot from my Director of Finance & my manager in the finance department here at A1. When I first started working at Honda & had to learn on my own by sitting in front of a computer for two weeks straight & 8 hours each day. It was not the easiest & most enjoyable job. My first week at A1 Solar I was able to learn so much that I was excited each day to come in. I was able to asks many questions, & was instructed so well to this point with such great patience & joy. I still come into work with a great student mentality & excitedly learning each day. I am able to call customers in Spanish/English to help them understand every bit of financing that they are being provided: therefore, they feel they are loved by each member no matter where they are located. David Malka can be described as a "tough" person; however, I truly understand his vision & passion for his company. I enjoy every challenge he has set upon me these last three months to make things happen. It excites me to say "bring it on;" therefore, I can take each challenge down to help the company grow. I enjoy going out to lunch with each one of my co-workers regardless of what department they are in. A1 solar power has a great vision & great growing opportunity. I can only imagine the future.

Cons

Some people dress to casual, & as a corporate office I strongly believe that we should lead by example by our presence & work ethic. Its obvious in some employees that they are there for their check; not to truly help the company.

Advice to Management

I truly enjoy that our executives work just as hard as we do. I truly feel that everyone is equal in the company. I truly enjoy every challenge that my director, manager, and excutives ask from me. I'd ask to hire people with passion & heart to help their company. People that lead by example & motivate others to become greater, and also not be afraid to let go of employees that No longer show passion.

2. Everything written by employees is true.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at A1 Solar Power

Pros

Working in Solar Power - its a hard industry to get into, A1 will hire anybody.

Cons

A1 Solar Power will hire anybody.

Many people will come to Glassdoor, read and wonder - how can a company such as this exist with so many employees begging and pleading new folks not to join it?

It's not a complicated question. Know that A1 Employees have come to Glassdoor because there isn't anyone to listen to them at the company. There are people going around begging employees to write good reviews, and some who think they will get brownie points have. Don't be swayed.

There were horrible employees but there were others who have worked at A1 took as much abuse as they could in HOPES that the management would appreciate what they did, and see that their contributions mattered to help propel the company to its next goal. Sadly, they were wrong. No matter how these employees tried, they got spat on, degraded, used -- and there was a ton of levels of discrimination to swim through, daily in some cases.

Except.. for their sales department. A1 Solar Power Sales has the most damaged sales team ever. They can go through training. They can get rules. To many of them, these won't apply. If they make a mistake, sales EXPECTS the office workers to scurry quickly and cover their horrific sales tactics/antics. They expect this because their management supports this. Not every A1 sales rep is this bad, but there are so many that are bad, people cannot see the good ones! And the good sales ones, in my opinion, are treated like crap too.

Advice to Management

Management will not accept advice unless it is from the mouth of their men. Women and others I've seen when I was there were treated like second-class citizens, no matter what experience they could or maybe brought to the table. I've encountered a few A1 women in the North and South, highly educated, experienced, monsters in their craft, and treated like yesterday's washerwomen!! Some left, good for them. I pray the others leave pronto before this company implodes.

If EEOC is out there, please help those commission and wage earning employees still at A1, and don't forget about talking to the past ones. Whomever is in management over there need to get behind the rest of the world quickly - as nothing else matters, and maybe then their sales, etc. will improve.

A1 Solar Power Response

Apr 17, 2015Integrated Marketing Director

A1 Solar Power is consistently improving its operations and has taken to heart many concerns of its past and present employees. Many of its managers have/are going through additional training to ... More

Have not come out of the 1940's

I worked at A1 Solar Power

Pros

there are no pros that i saw while i was there

Cons

Lack of professionalism that is how i would describe this A1 solar power human resources dept. when i was there it seems like the dept. would do anything and i mean anything even if it hurts / offend others on a personal level as long as it will benefit from HR situations. the lies and games caused this company a huge loss of good hard working people, the HR dept. is driven to scare everyone and anyone in order to gain power its as if it is under ICD (Impulse Control Disorder) than HR management and skills.
    what was so curious is that the HR dept. falls under Operations dept. which is so interesting since this dept. is also bullying employees. there was always a feeling like you set foot in a concentration camp. again professionalism is not their strong side due to a constant inappropriate choice of words, employees have cried and quit because of both dept. in this hostile environment you will find it very easy to break under the pressure.

Advice to Management

you need to restructure your HR and operations depts.

5. An Amazing learning experience !

Former Employee - Telemarketing Supervisor in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Telemarketing Supervisor in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a company where you will have this opportunity for learning and growth and to meet amazing people

Cons

Not much to say here I really enjoyed the time that I worked for this company

Advice to Management

Get health insurance for your employees

Less than one star

I worked at A1 Solar Power

Pros

Learned that I have integrity and not to work for scammers

Cons

The COO is a big mouthed bully with no people skills.

Advice to Management

Fire from the top

Cockroaches are treated better than what people get at this company!

I have been working at A1 Solar Power

Pros

The endless supply of coffee. You will need it!

Cons

There are zero employee benefits. No sick days, personal days, vacation days, medical insurance or any other kind of benefits. You get what the legal holidays are only and then they try to make you feel like they did something great by letting you have that day off. Upper management observes their holidays and takes plenty of vacation time knowing that they are all paid for off of the backs of their drone-like employees. You will get very low pay with an overload of work. The people who do their jobs are always expected to do more with no added compensation. Those who don't do their jobs are given awards for their non-contributions to the betterment of this company. They don't value the people who struggle to help the company succeed. They value the money they make from your sweaty back.

Advice to Management

Give your awards to employees that actually deserve them. Try not to make your employees feel like they're doing something wrong if they need to take a day off. Fire the people who harass and bully good employees. Hire competent people for key positions instead of those you hire with no experience or knowledge of how a department should be run. Acknowledge it when one of your drones says good morning instead of snubbing your nose at them.

Designer

Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than a year)

Pros

nice office and nice bathrooms

Cons

dont expect a raise, not even after a year. they downgraded everyone's title. I went from being an engineer to being a designer.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of evaluating the performances of your employees. The wrong people are in the high chairs.

Life Changing

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A1 Solar is a great place to work! The people who work here are wonderful: intelligent, ambitious, motivated, and perhaps most important - FUN! The management team welcomes constructive feedback on business processes from every level of the organization. Additionally, A1 Solar invests a lot in their training and development team, which helps with personal and professional growth. It is very exciting to be part of such a fast growing company!!

Cons

None so far that I can see or have experienced

Advice to Management

In need of executive overhaul

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tremendous growth (but stalled recently) and resources yet the field offices have a small business feel to it
    Great place for career start in renewable energy
    Enormous potential if more professional and experienced senior management team can be formed (or if acquired)
    A sales machine, unforgiving 100% commission, but fantastic training ground for residential sales

Cons

Tremendous turn over on all levels, low employee satisfaction rate and horrible brand reputation
    Company has outgrown owner/manager team but, not uncommonly, they have a hard time letting go
    No benefits, below par compensation and, at times, over aggressive micro management
    Unclear long term business strategy and total lack of mid and long term business development (telemarketing only)

Advice to Management

You stand to lose what you have built if you cannot offer comparable compensation for your key employees and find and retain the leaders that can take this company to the next level. It is time for the owners to step back into a supporting role.

Ethical, Energetic, challenging work environment-- great people to work with

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Senior management team is very involved with daily operations, open door policy, focus on getting issues resolved, supportive can do attitude. Great team work culture, great employees. Causal work environment.

Cons

Needs more transparency to keep employees posted on big changes . Employee basic insurance benefit needs to be considered.

Advice to Management

Promote good employees who really work hard and care! Promote positive work culture.

A1 Solar Power Photos