A1 Solar Power

The future.

Current Employee - Finance in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power

Pros

I have been working here for three months. I come from a corporate heavy background at the age of 23. I worked at Honda Coporate financial services, and many would think Honda was an amazing job; however, it was , but I can truly say I enjoy waking up each day to help each customer than I did at Honda. I've had the great opportunity to learn a lot from my Director of Finance & my manager in the finance department here at A1. When I first started working at Honda & had to learn on my own by sitting in front of a computer for two weeks straight & 8 hours each day. It was not the easiest & most enjoyable job. My first week at A1 Solar I was able to learn so much that I was excited each day to come in. I was able to asks many questions, & was instructed so well to this point with such great patience & joy. I still come into work with a great student mentality & excitedly learning each day. I am able to call customers in Spanish/English to help them understand every bit of financing that they are being provided: therefore, they feel they are loved by each member no matter where they are located. David Malka can be described as a "tough" person; however, I truly understand his vision & passion for his company. I enjoy every challenge he has set upon me these last three months to make things happen. It excites me to say "bring it on;" therefore, I can take each challenge down to help the company grow. I enjoy going out to lunch with each one of my co-workers regardless of what department they are in. A1 solar power has a great vision & great growing opportunity. I can only imagine the future.

Cons

Some people dress to casual, & as a corporate office I strongly believe that we should lead by example by our presence & work ethic. Its obvious in some employees that they are there for their check; not to truly help the company.

I truly enjoy that our executives work just as hard as we do. I truly feel that everyone is equal in the company. I truly enjoy every challenge that my director, manager, and excutives ask from me. I'd ask to hire people with passion & heart to help their company. People that lead by example & motivate others to become greater, and also not be afraid to let go of employees that No longer show passion.

An Amazing learning experience !

Former Employee - Telemarketing Supervisor in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Telemarketing Supervisor in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a company where you will have this opportunity for learning and growth and to meet amazing people

Cons

Not much to say here I really enjoyed the time that I worked for this company

Get health insurance for your employees

Less than one star

I worked at A1 Solar Power

Pros

Learned that I have integrity and not to work for scammers

Cons

The COO is a big mouthed bully with no people skills.

Fire from the top

Cockroaches are treated better than what people get at this company!

I have been working at A1 Solar Power

Pros

The endless supply of coffee. You will need it!

Cons

There are zero employee benefits. No sick days, personal days, vacation days, medical insurance or any other kind of benefits. You get what the legal holidays are only and then they try to make you feel like they did something great by letting you have that day off. Upper management observes their holidays and takes plenty of vacation time knowing that they are all paid for off of the backs of their drone-like employees. You will get very low pay with an overload of work. The people who do their jobs are always expected to do more with no added compensation. Those who don't do their jobs are given awards for their non-contributions to the betterment of this company. They don't value the people who struggle to help the company succeed. They value the money they make from your sweaty back.

Give your awards to employees that actually deserve them. Try not to make your employees feel like they're doing something wrong if they need to take a day off. Fire the people who harass and bully good employees. Hire competent people for key positions instead of those you hire with no experience or knowledge of how a department should be run. Acknowledge it when one of your drones says good morning instead of snubbing your nose at them.

Designer

Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice office and nice bathrooms

Cons

dont expect a raise, not even after a year. they downgraded everyone's title. I went from being an engineer to being a designer.

Do a better job of evaluating the performances of your employees. The wrong people are in the high chairs.

Life Changing

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A1 Solar is a great place to work! The people who work here are wonderful: intelligent, ambitious, motivated, and perhaps most important - FUN! The management team welcomes constructive feedback on business processes from every level of the organization. Additionally, A1 Solar invests a lot in their training and development team, which helps with personal and professional growth. It is very exciting to be part of such a fast growing company!!

Cons

None so far that I can see or have experienced

In need of executive overhaul

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tremendous growth (but stalled recently) and resources yet the field offices have a small business feel to it
    Great place for career start in renewable energy
    Enormous potential if more professional and experienced senior management team can be formed (or if acquired)
    A sales machine, unforgiving 100% commission, but fantastic training ground for residential sales

Cons

Tremendous turn over on all levels, low employee satisfaction rate and horrible brand reputation
    Company has outgrown owner/manager team but, not uncommonly, they have a hard time letting go
    No benefits, below par compensation and, at times, over aggressive micro management
    Unclear long term business strategy and total lack of mid and long term business development (telemarketing only)

You stand to lose what you have built if you cannot offer comparable compensation for your key employees and find and retain the leaders that can take this company to the next level. It is time for the owners to step back into a supporting role.

The North Hollywood office has terrible managing. Nightmare.

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and you feel open to speak to management. As long as you aren't a telemarketer.

Cons

They have different branches. Basically for me, I was scheduling for multiple offices and they refused to hire more people to do such an OVERWHELMING job that was extremely underpaid. I was expected to answer my cell phone from 6am -11pm if a sale was made. They refused to give me a peer review for raise. Beware folks. They treat the telemarketers like dirt, although I wasn't a telemarketer. If you aren't Jewish or a hot girl, the chances are you will get treated like garbage.

Fix the Northhollywood office. The management there is extremely unprofessional and understaffed.

Why does A1 management over-promise and under-deliver?

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The small branches allows an employee to know everyone that they work with on a close basis. I believe the reason why this company works at such an amazing speed is because of the availability between. I appreciate the goal of this company to go after every roof, satisfy every customer and work through any obstacle.

Cons

This is a company that constantly over promises and under delivers. This is frustrating because the mantra we hear as employees is to do the opposite. I believe this is the reason why there is a lot of turn over with this company: past employees are tired of the open-ended promises from A1 and finding the solution with another company (benefits, better pay, better management, etc.) Also, some branches have strong politics that get in the way of working successfully with each other. Too much blaming others and not accepting the parts that the individual does have control over. This company also feels like it is obsessed with growth and but takes it's time providing support (or promotion) to the branches already established. Also, I have never worked for a company that has as many internet and server issues as A1. Finally, the customer service from this company is grossly lacking after installation and PTO.

Priority #1 for the employees - MEDICAL BENEFITS. Also if you want to keep employees for the long term, you need to create a yearly raise system that matches inflation. Please stop rewarding branches/employees with promises and then delivering something that is not only different but of lower quality. For example, I will never be motivated to win the "Employee of the Month" knowing that the reward is either make-up cleaner or deodorant (when the later was given to an employee earlier in the year, I felt insulted for that employee - "are they telling him that he smells bad?").

Ethical, Energetic, challenging work environment-- great people to work with

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Senior management team is very involved with daily operations, open door policy, focus on getting issues resolved, supportive can do attitude. Great team work culture, great employees. Causal work environment.

Cons

Needs more transparency to keep employees posted on big changes . Employee basic insurance benefit needs to be considered.

Promote good employees who really work hard and care! Promote positive work culture.

A1 Solar Power Photos