A1 Solar Power Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
David Malka

1. a lot of people have worked really hard for not a lot-and are going to be shown the door

Current Employee - Misc in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Misc in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power

Pros

interesting industry-decent company size-not too small, not too big

Cons

new investors are going to buy in and probably be too arrogant, put in all their people, and at the expense of knowledgable 'old' people, and they will probably later regret it. but in the interim, there will be a lot of unnecessary pain endured, not just the necessary pain

Advice to Management

dont change things just for changes' sake; change the bad; keep the good

2. Project Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We getting much help from our co workers which make us more efficient

Cons

No benefits for employees but thanks for adding PTO

Advice to Management

Hire more professional employees

3. Reality Check...!!!

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time

Pros

Provide Great Products and Materials for the Solar Industry

Cons

Customer Service is spoken of, but really does not exist - Customers can get better pricing and solid service with other companies that are much more competitive and considerate of their needs.
    Direction of Owners is scattered and unclear, and there is no real adhesion between Upper Management , Sales Team and Operations Team.
    Lots of promises, with little or no follow through.
    Would not recommend wasting time trying to work with or for them if you are a serious professional.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, and a real Management Team to run your business.

5. No Stars

I worked at A1 Solar Power

Pros

The people in my office. Great coworkers. None left they all quit because they are to smart to for this company.

Cons

Positive reviews come from beggers on the inside. I wish glassdoor had a no star choice.

Advice to Management

So glad to hear you got rid of the COO

6. Sales Rep in Concord CA

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Albany, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Albany, CA

I worked at A1 Solar Power (Less than a year)

Pros

No pro's for me, it's 1099 sales. They do give you leads, which can be good, but are usually elderly people who think you are PG&E. After adding up my costs, I lost money. If you think working for a cut rate Glengarry Glen Ross is your idea of a career, go for it. Easy to move on since everyone is selling solar.

Cons

You trick homeowner into paying more, by acting like they are getting a great deal," I have some extra panels at a commercial job, easier to deliver them here instead of sending them back to the warehouse." Most of the time you're sitting around waiting for a call from a scheduler and then jump in your car and drive everywhere and anywhere at a moments notice. If no call comes, you wait around for nothing. Most customers either have no credit for financing (hey we promised free electricity!) or cancel within 3 days after searching Yelp...

Advice to Management

Advice for consumers instead, call a second company or two, you will find a much better deal. Don't get ripped off!

7. A pile of NOPE

I worked at A1 Solar Power (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers to rant with.

Cons

Everything else. Weak infrastructure, lackluster management, and the actual CEO hiding behind the company president.

Advice to Management

Get your act together.

Don't expect HR to ever listen to their employees

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the solar industry has been a fun way to spend my day working if you ignore the pay you are compensated with.

Cons

If you ever have an issue with the company, it is a worthless effort to contact HR. They rarely reply to your emails and never answer the phone (the voice mail is always full). Constant promises of improvement but it's just to bide time so they can run on their business is as usual model. They spend too much money flying upper management around from branch to branch when there is very little benefit that comes from the visit. Don't expect to get a competitive wage with this company, your first offer is going to be your only offer - unless you consider coupons from Restaurant.com to be an added perk to your employment. Never expect a wage increase to compliment the increase increase in living. Extra effort is rewarded with more responsibility but never with a raise. Never expect to be treated like a human being as an employee in this company. Do expect to be treated as an easily dismissed and replacable investment.

Advice to Management

Stop laying off people so you can stay under the 100 employee mark. All employees know the company does this to avoid having to provide health insurance for them.

Everything written by employees is true.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at A1 Solar Power

Pros

Working in Solar Power - its a hard industry to get into, A1 will hire anybody.

Cons

A1 Solar Power will hire anybody.

Many people will come to Glassdoor, read and wonder - how can a company such as this exist with so many employees begging and pleading new folks not to join it?

It's not a complicated question. Know that A1 Employees have come to Glassdoor because there isn't anyone to listen to them at the company. There are people going around begging employees to write good reviews, and some who think they will get brownie points have. Don't be swayed.

There were horrible employees but there were others who have worked at A1 took as much abuse as they could in HOPES that the management would appreciate what they did, and see that their contributions mattered to help propel the company to its next goal. Sadly, they were wrong. No matter how these employees tried, they got spat on, degraded, used -- and there was a ton of levels of discrimination to swim through, daily in some cases.

Except.. for their sales department. A1 Solar Power Sales has the most damaged sales team ever. They can go through training. They can get rules. To many of them, these won't apply. If they make a mistake, sales EXPECTS the office workers to scurry quickly and cover their horrific sales tactics/antics. They expect this because their management supports this. Not every A1 sales rep is this bad, but there are so many that are bad, people cannot see the good ones! And the good sales ones, in my opinion, are treated like crap too.

Advice to Management

Management will not accept advice unless it is from the mouth of their men. Women and others I've seen when I was there were treated like second-class citizens, no matter what experience they could or maybe brought to the table. I've encountered a few A1 women in the North and South, highly educated, experienced, monsters in their craft, and treated like yesterday's washerwomen!! Some left, good for them. I pray the others leave pronto before this company implodes.

If EEOC is out there, please help those commission and wage earning employees still at A1, and don't forget about talking to the past ones. Whomever is in management over there need to get behind the rest of the world quickly - as nothing else matters, and maybe then their sales, etc. will improve.

A1 Solar Power Response

Apr 17, 2015Integrated Marketing Director

A1 Solar Power is consistently improving its operations and has taken to heart many concerns of its past and present employees. Many of its managers have/are going through additional training to ... More

Have not come out of the 1940's

I worked at A1 Solar Power

Pros

there are no pros that i saw while i was there

Cons

Lack of professionalism that is how i would describe this A1 solar power human resources dept. when i was there it seems like the dept. would do anything and i mean anything even if it hurts / offend others on a personal level as long as it will benefit from HR situations. the lies and games caused this company a huge loss of good hard working people, the HR dept. is driven to scare everyone and anyone in order to gain power its as if it is under ICD (Impulse Control Disorder) than HR management and skills.
    what was so curious is that the HR dept. falls under Operations dept. which is so interesting since this dept. is also bullying employees. there was always a feeling like you set foot in a concentration camp. again professionalism is not their strong side due to a constant inappropriate choice of words, employees have cried and quit because of both dept. in this hostile environment you will find it very easy to break under the pressure.

Advice to Management

you need to restructure your HR and operations depts.

11. The future.

Current Employee - Finance in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power

Pros

I have been working here for three months. I come from a corporate heavy background at the age of 23. I worked at Honda Coporate financial services, and many would think Honda was an amazing job; however, it was , but I can truly say I enjoy waking up each day to help each customer than I did at Honda. I've had the great opportunity to learn a lot from my Director of Finance & my manager in the finance department here at A1. When I first started working at Honda & had to learn on my own by sitting in front of a computer for two weeks straight & 8 hours each day. It was not the easiest & most enjoyable job. My first week at A1 Solar I was able to learn so much that I was excited each day to come in. I was able to asks many questions, & was instructed so well to this point with such great patience & joy. I still come into work with a great student mentality & excitedly learning each day. I am able to call customers in Spanish/English to help them understand every bit of financing that they are being provided: therefore, they feel they are loved by each member no matter where they are located. David Malka can be described as a "tough" person; however, I truly understand his vision & passion for his company. I enjoy every challenge he has set upon me these last three months to make things happen. It excites me to say "bring it on;" therefore, I can take each challenge down to help the company grow. I enjoy going out to lunch with each one of my co-workers regardless of what department they are in. A1 solar power has a great vision & great growing opportunity. I can only imagine the future.

Cons

Some people dress to casual, & as a corporate office I strongly believe that we should lead by example by our presence & work ethic. Its obvious in some employees that they are there for their check; not to truly help the company.

Advice to Management

I truly enjoy that our executives work just as hard as we do. I truly feel that everyone is equal in the company. I truly enjoy every challenge that my director, manager, and excutives ask from me. I'd ask to hire people with passion & heart to help their company. People that lead by example & motivate others to become greater, and also not be afraid to let go of employees that No longer show passion.

RSS Feed </> Embed