A2Q2 Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
1.3

Kim Le
1 Rating

Challenging work and diverse clients, but poor management style and unrealistic expectations for staff. Don't work here!

I worked at A2Q2 full-time

Pros

This is a consulting firm, and the work can be diverse and challenging. Clients range from start-ups to established companies and organizations, and are in multiple industries. Working here, you can get exposure to work in accounting, consulting, SOX compliance, ERP system implementations, etc. You can learn a lot if you are paired up with a good manager. Managers and contractors come and go here, so there is opportunity for networking.

Cons

The pay and benefits are very poor in comparison to industry standards. Hours are long (management expects minimum of 50 hours/week on a good day) and commute can be long (depending on the day and client). Management has unrealistic expectations for staff which sets the staff to fail. Although there is a "formal" performance evaluation for the staff, things such as raises, promotions are largely determined by frequent informal feedback between the manager and senior management, and often do not tie directly to your work performance. Because of this and unrealistic expectations, staff are often caught unaware when they get laid off, bad reviews, etc. - as a result many staff come and go here. You are basically on call for the manager 24/7 and if there is no immediate response, you may get in trouble with senior management. I would advise against working here because of unrealistic expectations from senior management, which makes you feel you are never good enough; and the poor work-life balance.

Learn to retain your current employees so that you can leverage the knowledge and experience they've acquired from being on the job, instead of constantly hiring new staff and interns to replace the ones you've let go. Learn to better appreciate your staff, so that they will enjoy working for you.

A2Q2 Response

Apr 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We love the feedback!

You are correct that we expect quick responses; our guideline is to respond to clients and colleagues
    ... More

NOT WORTH IT!

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at A2Q2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a previous reviewer mentioned, this is a boutique consulting firm. The projects are diverse and challenging. Working here, I did get exposure to various projects: accounting, SOX compliance, ERP system implementations, etc.

Cons

I agree with both reviews, turnover here is HIGH! "We only want the best and it's not for everyone." If I were you I'd steer clear of working here. It is just not worth it. As a staff you are expected to be available late nights, early mornings, and even weekends. No true training. Compensation is low.

Invest more in staff training maybe this would allow you to fill up the seats in your bus!

3rd world company run by 3rd world mentality

Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at A2Q2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros is that many many smart folks with many years of industry experience come and go like its a drive-thru. A few old-timers start back-biting and squabbling almost immediately and this only coalesces the new comers into making a great network. Oh yeah, if you are hired as a senior staff, the juniors and admins will drop everything they are doing - eating lunch, working etc - and go fetch you water or grab your roller bag to your cube. Now, you see why I call this a 3rd world environment. I have worked in Asia, Europe and USA for many years and many industries and never seen any feudal structure like this. I saw this type of behavior quite a few times.

Cons

Too many moving parts and nobody tells you what is going on. Lack of moral values, decency, just a lot of hiring, firing and lies - every week you see new faces and every week you hear from grapevine that this or that person is let go - its never handle in a graceful manner, let alone communicated. There is almost no training other than you get thrown into the water so you either learn to swim or sink. Most folks will sink because they are set for failure and not fur success. There is absolutely no visibility into project pipeline or your performance. The so called Sr. staffs do informal evaluation and most of them include likes/dislikes of personal traits and nothing work-related or constructive. They will tell you that you are doing great, your job is safe, only the other person is going to get fired next Friday and then your turn comes the following week and you are told there is no more money left and then you see a few advertisements by A2Q2 in craigslist for your role and how great the company and mangers are. Before I forget.. they usually fire you just a few days shy of your 3 months so you are left ineligible to even file for unemployment.

The management should stop using their stories about struggle and success in this country in every meeting and youtube videos to gain sympathy and business. For someone who was taken in and welcomed by this country, fostered and given many chances (and free food, lodging, preferential treatment and many more such entitlements), you would expect more down to earth and humble behavior in return but I noticed just the opposite. There are tons of achiever in the bay area who has done way more for the society and continue to be humble and most importantly, show class. I think this company can learn from them.

Worked for A2Q2? Contribute to the Community!