A9.com

nice people
    nice place to work
    cool technology
    better paid than amazon

Consbad green card policy and so on

Good team

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood team, deep talented engineer, a lot to learn.

ConsRemote site of Amazon, hard to align roadmap.

My experience was good with my peers and immediate manager. Upper Mgmt (Finance) seemed very unfriendly.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmall group and exposure two diverse skill sets and opportunity to attain quicker access to company from a operations perspective.

ConsDont see much room for growth or moving up in the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful company to work for

Software Development Intern (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat coworkers and management. Very flexible, good starting salary. Great opportunity to grow as a person.

ConsYou have to work quite hard in this company, it's hard to maintain a great work life balance.

Great work-life balance

Technical Program Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat location near Palo Alto Caltrain station makes it easy to commute to
    Located right next to best part of University Ave = great restaurants, cafes, shops
    You get to work on search and ads for Amazon, important part of the business
    Ability to work from home a fair bit, at least in my case and some of my team members, which is great if you have kids or live far away
    Good, stable place to work

ConsWith the Bay Area economy heating up, it's been hard to recruit talent
    Not the same buzz, excitement and scale as Amazon in Seattle
    At the time I was there, we were following waterfall planning (at least on my team) which is a little outdated for a web product

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a culture of too many reviews, reports, and some micromanagement even. Try to empower people at lower levels.

Software Intern

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood work life balance. Given interesting projects that actually mattered. Free snacks and Friday soccer. Great pay.

ConsNot as many perks as other tech companies in the area

Good pay but everything else sucks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked in the Visual Search team in A9 for two years before joining another company about 6 months ago. So I can only comment about the visual search team. A9 offers a good compensation package which is at par with all the other good Bay Area companies.

ConsEverything else except pay pretty much sucks here. Regarding the facilities, they have just two buildings rented in Palo Alto and no campus what so ever. The buildings are over crowded and even the coffee and snacks suck. They provide no gym facilities either. Regarding the team, Visual search team was formed from a start up which Amazon acquired some time back. Couple of guys from the original start up control everything. These two guys are very arrogant, dominating and take up all the good projects. A9 recently hired a lot of super smart engineers with Ph.D., but they are forced to do crappy development work by these guys and eventually move out to better places.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont let couple of guys control everything even though they wrote some code six years back. If you dont give enough freedom to your staff, there is no point hiring smart people.

Actions speak louder than words......and this old saying is so true for this company

Program Management (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFree snacks, coffee, pretty nice building.

ConsManagement is very "young" and lacks experience. Very political. Overall atmosphere is a very negative one. Very hard to recruit and retain top talent because of negative opinion of company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should look to external sources for ways to grow their experience and seriously consider the feedback of it's employees and executives (as opposed to saying that it considers the feedback but not actually taking action on it)

A9.com is a great place to work in the Bay Area.

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWork is challenging, compensation is better than many other offers, lots of smart engineers, lots of search technology here

ConsSDE's have to do carry a pager. Not much face time with manager each week.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A.

Small company with large backer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Proslarge interesting datasets, nice location, very competent engineers, flexible working hours, solid Amazon infrastructure, small company culture

Conslimited space for career growth
    most of the product decisions are made in Seattle, feels a bit like technology outsourcing center

Advice to Senior Managementgive greater ability to A9 to start and run independent projects to leverage small company advantages. More collaboration with research community outside A9/Amazon

Worked for A9.com? Contribute to the Community!