AA Credit Union

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
3.2

Angie Owens

I honestly really like it so far

Current Employee - Loan Officer
    Current Employee - Loan Officer

I have been working at AA Credit Union full-time

Pros

I've worked here for about 1.5 years. The health benefits are pretty good (65/mo for standard, 110/mo for "value," and I don't even know about "core" option. I think they're going up by like $50/month, so that's probably out of date. In first year (through year 5), you get 2 weeks of vacation and 1 week of sick. Salaries are, I think, below industry - but I like that we at least pretend to care about the members, pretty safe job security, and I like the people I work with.

Cons

I wish we got matching 401k immediately (at 5.5%), I wish we had 3 weeks of "paid off time" instead of 2 weeks vacation, 1 week sick (because sick time = occurrences and it's "bad" to get 3 occurrences in one year). Whatever. Also, you get free flight benefits when you fly standby (since you're an AA employee technically). But I think that's why we are paid a little below industry. It's a very heavy "hire from within" company.

Member Service Rep

I worked at AA Credit Union part-time

Pros

Traveling! Some Branches are a fun atmosphere others could be hostile.

Cons

Pay is not that great. HR needs to update on AA policy not just AA Credit Union

Branch Managers are not always what they seem

Crazy manager, low pay

Former Employee - Member Services Representative
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative

I worked at AA Credit Union (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good entry level, all the travel benefits of an American Airlines employee

Cons

Very low pay just above minimum wage, manager is extremely demanding and prone to mood swings, a good or bad day is all dependant on her presence, no real opportunity for advancement in branches would have to move to Dallas, no commission for sales

Keep a closer eye on your managers in branches and don't just look at their numbers

A challenging and rewarding environment with GREAT people.

I have been working at AA Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started in 2013 and have been extremely impressed with all of the great people working here. From front line support staff to senior vice presidents, they have all been extermely kind and helpful.
    - The culture and comraderie here have been fantastic
    - Work allows us to make an impact directly or indirectly for our members
    - The health benefits and programs are very good and affordable, even with the recent industry price increases.
    - Company 401k matching
    - Flight benefits for employee, family, and friends
    - Countless other programs or discounts through AA
    - Other financial and advice benefits as a Credit Union employee
    - Management value on employee continued professional growth
    - Work/Life balance focus and understanding
    - Getting bank holidays

Cons

As with most things in life there are some trade-offs depending on your priorities.
    - Work load can sometimes be pretty high and keep employee's very busy with changing priorities
    - Depending on position some after hours / weekend work may be needed/expected occasionally
    - Compared to the industry it appears that direct monetary compensation trends toward the low side of the average
    - Depending on the destination(s) and timing (holidays) it can be tough to use flight benefits.

The overall focus on serving our members has been great and should continue. At times it seems like some improvement could be made in the overall selection and timing of work, projects, initiatives etc... in order to allow our talented folks the time needed to deliver quality results. You have many great people working here and regardless of type (hourly, salary, contractor, etc...) be sure to continue showing them how much you recognize and value them.

Great Company bad management nothing perfect

I worked at AA Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with them and was great. Flight benefits when available and that's a risk.

Cons

Unfortunately sometimes they hire flight attendants as managers and that’s their mistake. They don’t know anything about management.

Top management must interview prior workers to see how un- professional manager hide their mistakes. Also, hire real managers not want to be.

Over worked and under paid

I have been working at AA Credit Union

Pros

American Airlines flight benefits are nice if you can get a flight. You feel like a family with your co workers.

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Quit being cheap and flight benefits do not make up for being under paid