AA Credit Union Reviews

1. I honestly really like it so far

Current Employee - Loan Officer
    Current Employee - Loan Officer

I have been working at AA Credit Union full-time

Pros

I've worked here for about 1.5 years. The health benefits are pretty good (65/mo for standard, 110/mo for "value," and I don't even know about "core" option. I think they're going up by like $50/month, so that's probably out of date. In first year (through year 5), you get 2 weeks of vacation and 1 week of sick. Salaries are, I think, below industry - but I like that we at least pretend to care about the members, pretty safe job security, and I like the people I work with.

Cons

I wish we got matching 401k immediately (at 5.5%), I wish we had 3 weeks of "paid off time" instead of 2 weeks vacation, 1 week sick (because sick time = occurrences and it's "bad" to get 3 occurrences in one year). Whatever. Also, you get free flight benefits when you fly standby (since you're an AA employee technically). But I think that's why we are paid a little below industry. It's a very heavy "hire from within" company.

2. Not what it seems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at AA Credit Union full-time

Pros

Flight benefits (which are also kind of a "con" - see below), decent medical and other benefits, very close with co-workers, very steady in terms of job security. Name recognition of working for AA. Occasionally positive interactions with members. Upper management are generally active and approachable - even the CEO is very nice. The products and services we offer are legitimately good, for the most part.

Cons

I have a degree but the pay is almost laughable, which is a broader AA problem (unless you're a tenured pilot). Flight benefits are far from a sure thing depending on when and where you want to fly. Can be very stressful dealing with members and most departments are perpetually understaffed. Lots of red tape. Very little turnover in upper management so there is limited opportunity for advancement. Two weeks vacation plus eight sick days is really not that competitive (you get more vacation after FIVE years).

Advice to Management

Run a tighter ship. People blow off policy and/or just strive for mediocrity because they know they are extremely unlikely to face discipline. Give the high-volume departments the increased staffing they need to service more members and reduce the strain on everyone. Give younger employees a reason to stick around after the luster of "flight benefits" wears off.

3. stay away from here if you want advancement potential

I worked at AA Credit Union full-time

Pros

flight benefits if you want to fly somewhere boring

Cons

Absolutely no advancement potential into upper management unless you have worked at the parent company AA

Advice to Management

Stop letting managers transfer over from AA to fill the upper management positions. They have no financial services experience.

5. Loved my coworkers/manager but overall to stressful.

I worked at AA Credit Union

Pros

The best part is flight benefits when you are approved for time off.

Cons

Staff is over worked and unappreciated. Loved my manager but our supervisor could be a pain.

Advice to Management

Look more into who's managing who. How is it fair to work for your aunt even if it's not a blood relative, there still family. Why can AACU pick and choose when they follow AA rules. It seems like you only care to do it at your convenience. If AA gets a all across raise why can't we get one too? Or if we are put on probation AA can still move around but AACU has to stay put or get approval from the CEO if your manager even decides to ask. You can't call in sick you get in trouble, what's the point of having sick time? CEO doesn't get involved with us like our old one did. Since then it just gone downhill. That's just the tip of the iceberg for this place.

6. Member Service Rep

I worked at AA Credit Union part-time

Pros

Traveling! Some Branches are a fun atmosphere others could be hostile.

Cons

Pay is not that great. HR needs to update on AA policy not just AA Credit Union

Advice to Management

Branch Managers are not always what they seem

7. Crazy manager, low pay

Former Employee - Member Services Representative
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative

I worked at AA Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good entry level, all the travel benefits of an American Airlines employee

Cons

Very low pay just above minimum wage, manager is extremely demanding and prone to mood swings, a good or bad day is all dependant on her presence, no real opportunity for advancement in branches would have to move to Dallas, no commission for sales

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on your managers in branches and don't just look at their numbers

8. A challenging and rewarding environment with GREAT people.

I have been working at AA Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started in 2013 and have been extremely impressed with all of the great people working here. From front line support staff to senior vice presidents, they have all been extermely kind and helpful. - The culture and comraderie here have been fantastic - Work allows us to make an impact directly or indirectly for our members - The health benefits and programs are very good and affordable, even with the recent industry price increases. - Company 401k matching - Flight benefits for employee, family, and friends - Countless other programs or discounts through AA - Other financial and advice benefits as a Credit Union employee - Management value on employee continued professional growth - Work/Life balance focus and understanding - Getting bank holidays

Cons

As with most things in life there are some trade-offs depending on your priorities. - Work load can sometimes be pretty high and keep employee's very busy with changing priorities - Depending on position some after hours / weekend work may be needed/expected occasionally - Compared to the industry it appears that direct monetary compensation trends toward the low side of the average - Depending on the destination(s) and timing (holidays) it can be tough to use flight benefits.

Advice to Management

The overall focus on serving our members has been great and should continue. At times it seems like some improvement could be made in the overall selection and timing of work, projects, initiatives etc... in order to allow our talented folks the time needed to deliver quality results. You have many great people working here and regardless of type (hourly, salary, contractor, etc...) be sure to continue showing them how much you recognize and value them.

Great Company bad management nothing perfect

I worked at AA Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with them and was great. Flight benefits when available and that's a risk.

Cons

Unfortunately sometimes they hire flight attendants as managers and that’s their mistake. They don’t know anything about management.

Advice to Management

Top management must interview prior workers to see how un- professional manager hide their mistakes. Also, hire real managers not want to be.

Over worked and under paid

I have been working at AA Credit Union

Pros

American Airlines flight benefits are nice if you can get a flight. You feel like a family with your co workers.

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Advice to Management

Quit being cheap and flight benefits do not make up for being under paid

RSS Feed </> Embed