AAA Cooper Transportation

G. Mack Dove

Best Job I Ever Had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Pros: This truly was one of the best jobs I ever had. The salary was good, the benefits were good until the government changes came along in 2014 (which was not the company's fault). The Terminal Manager was very good to work for, because he set a high standard for the employees. He was willing to do anything that needed to be done, whether loading/unloading freight, or delivering/ picking up freight. He even swept the dock if needed. The atmosphere and (most of) the people I worked with were great! I had hoped to work there until I was old and feeble and no longer able to work. I would go back today if I was asked to!

Cons

Cons: Company cutbacks came along and I got laid off. The "least senior" person was cut, regardless of their job performance. I was "least senior" by a matter of just a few weeks. When the Terminal Manager gave me the news of my layoff, he told me that he would have chosen to keep me there if it had been based on job performance. While this did make me feel a little better, it did not do anything to help me keep the job.

When cutbacks are necessary (as they are in most places from time to time), upper management making across the board cuts such as "least senior" are not always what is best for the company. Terminal Managers should be allowed to be involved in the decision making process. They are more in tune with the dynamics of their location and who is working well and who is not. Job performance should count for something. Happy employees are good for business!

Good pay but not a great company

Pros

Great employees on the terminal level

Cons

Company went from caring about giving good customer service to only interested in $$

Be more appreciative of your employees on the terminal level because they are the ones who keep the business coming. Customer service is important your company will not grow without it.

Previous manager

Former Employee - Terminal Manager  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Terminal Manager in Greenville, SC

Pros

Decent pay. Great people at a local level

Cons

CEO doesn't have a clue on how to run a company! He's been terminated by other companies and it shows!! Upper management he has put in place cares nothing about the people at all !! Only how the numbers look and the $$$$
    Very sad !! This used to be one of the best companies to work for back when the father ran it, ( Mack) now it's about at the bottom of the transportation companies
    I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy!!

Get rid of the peanut brains that still that don't gave a clue, start treating people like they need to be treated!!
    Greed will take you to where you don't want to go
    Also I hope you feel good about having something to do with John in FAY!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Benefits Stink

Pros

Privately Held. Decisions can be made quickly.

Cons

It is a "What have you done for me today" Mentality. They feel that they should hire managers and upper management from outside the company because those already there are incapable of doing the job.

When you work hard and put in the time to make a project successful you are not thanked or rewarded. Usually it is "ok" lets get you on something else.

Medical Benefits Stink. For Family coverage each year you have a $3000 deductible. once you reach that you pay 20% and the company pays 80% up to a total of $10,000 out of your pocket. To reach that point your total medical bill for the year would have reached $38,000. If you are young and healthy no problem but the potential is there for you to take a $10,000 hit. This reset each year on January 1st. If you are single it is $1,500 and $5,000 respectively.

No vacation the first year.
    5 days years two and three
    Starting at year four you get 10 days and 15 days at 10 years.

When shipment counts start dropping off they start laying people off and wonder when the shipping counts pick up they can't find drivers. Who wants to work for a company that will lay you off?

Put your people first!!!!! Listen to them. They have a lot of good ideas.

P&D Driver

Current Employee - City Driver  in  Se Ree, KY
    Current Employee - City Driver in Se Ree, KY

Pros

Been around a long time and made it through some rough times and financially stable

Cons

Depending on what terminal you work at you might be required to supply your own pallet jack and two wheeler to do your job even though Dothan provides them to the terminals upon request.

Do unto to others as you should have them do unto you

Family owned southern regional carrier

Pros

I have worked for Corporate trucking companies in the past and I was not happy with the corporate nonsense.It is nice to work for a company that just want you to get the job done.

Cons

Having enough drivers to get the job done. The company may need to look at incentive plans to keep drivers from leaving.

good experience learned a lot in different departments

Former Employee - Clerical/Receptionist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Clerical/Receptionist in Houston, TX

Pros

u get a chance for advancement

Cons

getting the drivers ready for they route

good management just need to hire more people's

Operations Clerk

Pros

Flexible, Great IT dept, Modernizing

Cons

Limited Staff, trying to determine who handles what can be challenging

Overall it is a decent place to work.

Current Employee - Forklift Operator  in  New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in New Brighton, MN

Pros

Movement within the company, if willing to move terminals for advancement.

Cons

Supervisory focus, time spent developing the crew.

Not what they used to be....and going down fast

Pros

AAA Cooper is an Less-than-Truckload carrier. They focus on shipments too large for parcel service, but too small to dedicate an entire truck to move (Ex: 1-5 Pallets per Shipment). LTL carriers pay better than identical jobs in different industries. For example, a forklift operator will make $11-$14 per hour in my region, but the normal wage in town is $8-$10 for a forklift operator.

Cons

Even though the pay better than other industries, the pay is $1-$4 per hour behind their direct competition (Southestern Freight, Estes, Old Dominion, etc). The health insurance used to be stellar, but as of January 2014 the system is being overhauled. The results are atrocious and I would rather purchase my own healthcare. They are also "streamlining" a lot of internal procedures. This is code for outsourcing jobs with a mixed result.

Also, they claim to be a family oriented company and this was true when I started here. The company was founded by Red Dove, passed to his son Mack Dove and has since fallen to Reid Dove (Mack's son). Mack was a great leader who did well with the company and did right by his employees. Reid is a very nice guy and easy to talk to, but he has almost no presence in the company these days. Reid is really seems to be CEO in name only. The majority of the decisions are now handled by Charlie Prickett.

The family-oriented trait of the company has now gone out the window. Workforces have been cut to the bone to the point that customers cannot be properly serviced on time. Everything is measuered on a "Shipments per Hour" metric that dictates exactly how much personel can work and how much equipment each branch is allotted with no additional equipment or personel in reserve. I understand trying to be efficient, but this creates two problems. 1) When you have to opportunity to gain new business, you do not have the personel available to service the new account or you sacrifice an existing customer to gain the new customer. 2) As soon as an employee is sick, injured or on leave for any reason; we are unable to service our existing customers and start losing business.

Lastly, there is little to no room for advancement within the company. Positions used to be filled by promotions within the companies ranks and then looking outside for other candidates as needed. Now AAA Cooper looks outside first and inside rarely at all. If you are content with the position you are hired into, then AAA Cooper will be "okay" for you. If you have any ambition, AAA Cooper will just be a layover point on your resume.

If you are serious about growing, which you claim, allocate the workforce and equipment to grow when the opportunity is there. Streamline hiring! It currently takes 6-8 to hire a new person for the most basic positions. Start treating your employees with respect again. We all feel like expendable peons with no appreciation for our efforts put into the company. We may not own the company, but many of us have invested years of our lives to grow AAA Cooper too. My last comment: Its not too late to turn this around. AAA Cooper has a lot of potential to grow if policies change soon.

Worked for AAA Cooper Transportation? Contribute to the Community!