AAA Life Insurance Company

AAA Life Insurance Company President & CEO Harold Huffstetler

Harold Huffstetler

Challenging job

I worked at AAA Life Insurance Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge scale operation for a small company, latest tools and methodology adopted

ConsLack of career growth, Unprofessional managers; Pay is poor

Ok, but look elsewhere

IT Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AAA Life Insurance Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople that you work with are very good

ConsManagement does not engage their staff
Too many decisions are top down

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is too much focus on operations and no time allowed for creative out of the box thinking by the staff.
Stop having the appearance of engagement - either do it or quit pretending - it's discouraging to your teams.

Great growth potential, but employees are not valued

I worked at AAA Life Insurance Company full-time

ProsGreat growth potential for this company. Most employees are friendly, hard working and dedicated. Great leadership in some departments.

ConsLow pay for many in professional positions. All managers are evaluated by employees, but officers are not. Weak and abusive leaders in the officer ranks are not held accountable for their behavior and employees suffer. Little concern given to relatively high turnover. Little to no development opportunities in many areas. No formal structured succession planning. No work life balance. Very much a face time culture. Results matter less than hours spent at one's desk.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It was a great company to work initially but they pull the rug under you every year.

Life Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at AAA Life Insurance Company full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUnderwriting is great if you are a top personal producer. As mentioned, the pay was very good in the beginning but......

ConsTop management in the Northern CA club does not have a clue how to run the life insurance side. In 8 years, they have changed compensation plan for life agents 7 times --- at the expense of their agents. Meanwhile, hiring middle managers in their district office to supervise life agents. These managers does not even have any experience selling life insurance and most of them does not even have a life license. When they see their top life agents make a lot of bonus commission, they re-structure the comp plan immediately so life agents do not make more than the president and CEO of the club.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne worst thing you could do to salespeople is to mess up their comp plan. You cannot entice them with one only to reduce their comp in less than a year. There are only 24 hours in a day. If a top salesperson is spending 12-14 hour days to make a very good income and the bonus structure is cut in such a way that one has to work twice as hard to make the same amount of money he/she made the previous year, it is WRONG. An individual's quality of life is very important. I just heard thru the grapevine that P and C agents renewal commission were recently removed. That is so very wrong. Employees are a company's biggest asset. Never treat them as an expense. Although they had advertise that AAA is a non-profit, why do they keep on messing the sales peoples comp. Is it in exchange for top executive bonuses? Please take care of your foot soldiers.

Don't expect compassion from us just because we're insuring your life!

I have been working at AAA Life Insurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome very nice employees in the midwest.

ConsUnderwriting has the power in this company and drives the business using a strict software guided customer approval process that rejects and downgrades a high percentage of applicants. Always playing catch-up with other insurers. Terriible marketing and field support. Customer contact is discouraged. Attitude that the customer is basically dishonest.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould give frontline staff the flexibility and support to make decisions. Top-down business model designed to benefit top management at the expense of employees, agents and customers.

Great Company

Member Representative (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

ProsLots of Room for growth

ConsNone at all a great company with great people

Ok place but very exhausting to work here!

I worked at AAA Life Insurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good benefits in general
Very good employees who work hard

ConsSenior Leadership are too full of themselves. The CEO has the opinion that every problem is a leadership problem and fails to really listen to employees. He also has no clue when it comes to technology. Very old school CEO.

IT is ground to the bone day in and day out. They have had two consecutive years of extremely poor employee surveys that have never improved even after replacing all IT Management. They don't get it. HR is much the same - very overworked with no relief in sight.

They have tried really hard to correct problems, but they fail to really address the root concerns which is why they have continual turn over. Lots of attempts to fix, but no real progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees!
Quit treating Marketing like the golden child and start thanking the other departments like customer service, DCC and IT who really contribute as well.
Get some younger Sr management! Seriously!

Member Representative was responsible for customer relations, travel/map guidance, and receiving member insurance pay.

Member Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at AAA Life Insurance Company as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople friendly environment, great boss, very helpful co-workers, and laid back environment.

ConsLacked company culture and traffic fluctuated frequently so some days would be extremely slow/busy.

Tremendous business culture with passionate people.

Livonia, MI

I have been working at AAA Life Insurance Company as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work life balance
Ample resources available
Positive attitudes
Everyone is very accessible and willing to answer any questions/concerns

ConsDidn't see much growth within the company, but that is to be expected in a smaller company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Strong, consistent company. Good for steady employment, less so for learning new technology.

I worked at AAA Life Insurance Company

ProsAAA has an excellent benefit package, including some of the more generous vacation time you'll find. It's a nice, stable company that is doing well in its industry and offers a very consistent work environment. Not too much OT required and generally a low stress environment.

ConsLike any life insurance company, AAA tends towards the conservative side, making it a poor choice for learning new technology. They continue to struggle to implement progressive changes in their technical departments, burdened by their aging administrative software.

Worked for AAA Life Insurance Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AAA Life Insurance Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AAA Life Insurance Company CEO Harold Huffstetler. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by AAA Life Insurance Company employees.