AAA Mid-Atlantic

Updated January 23, 2015
3.3

AAA Mid-Atlantic President & CEO Bernhard Koch
Bernhard Koch

Pros
  • Fair work/life balance depending on your department and job requirements (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits ( medical, health etc ) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management needs to get their act together (in 3 reviews)

• Management and people are promoted based on who they know (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for with supportive leadership and friendly coworkers.

I have been working at AAA Mid-Atlantic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The company has a very open channel to leadership giving associates opportunities to ask any questions openly throughout the year--regardless of level.
    -Supportive work environment and great co-workers with good attitudes.
    -Challenging projects, open to new ideas and I feel rewarded at the end of the week.
    -Great mission, long term view and established organization with good reputation.

Cons

-Can be slow to make changes even though there is leadership support for the changes.
    -There are definite silos and not everyone is willing to break those down (long tenured employees)
    -Still some fears of technology and changes.

Be willing to take leaps to get the company up to speed. Move a little faster to avoid being left behind.

Such and Incredible Place to Work

Current Employee - Life Insurance Specialist in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Life Insurance Specialist in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at AAA Mid-Atlantic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Extremely Friendly Co-Workers, Excellent Benefits, Positive Work Environment, Access to Training Materials at all times, Excellent Management, Great Location

Cons

I have no cons to submit

In >30 years, what I always wanted retail Car Care to be!

I have been working at AAA Mid-Atlantic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked for top nationwide chains in every capacity, from GS through Regional Mgmt. No other company legitimately cares this much for it's employees and customers. Your constant growth, developement, and learning is critical to the company. (Tuition reimbursement unmatched by anyone else). Your ability to balance life and work is proven by the fact that you START earning paid time off, day one, and get over 3 weeks the 1st year. Incredible medical, dental and free life insurance. The main PLUS versus all others is the way leadership treats you and the security of coming home after a hard day's work not worrying about if you'll have a job. The opportunities for advancement here cannot be touched by any other company in this field. A stellar car technician or GS can be a store manager or in district leadership. A store manager can become a district manager and above. There are MANY tenured people here which communicates a lot to me. there are senior VP's who once were regular sales associates. We all live and function with our Shared Values at the forefront: Respect, Integrity, Quality, & Teamwork. CEO is one of the most humble CEO's I've met.

Cons

The fact that you actually are expected to show up and do your job. (Same "Con" as anywhere). The quality and excellence standards expected towards all AAA's customers is higher than anywhere I've been. (Not necessarily a bad thing in my book).

Keep up the good work, and keep being open to feedback from those not in your leadership cadre.

I feel fortunate to work for a such a great company.

I have been working at AAA Mid-Atlantic

Pros

Senior Management and CEO want to hear from Associates and take many opportunuties throughout the year to provide opportunities for Associates to engage with them. Great benefits, work/life balance, plesant work environment and great team of people to work with. Ongoing training and encouragement for continued growth.

Cons

Communication to Associate's about Company initiatives could be more frequent and timely.

Good people doing good work

I have been working at AAA Mid-Atlantic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy the people I work with everyday. There are opportunities to grow. I just celebrated my one-year anniversary and have already been promoted. I like that I make decisions that are important to our members. People are nice to each other here.

Cons

The bonus structure isn't great. It is a not-for-profit. Salaries are fair and benefits are great. We saved money switching from my husband's plan. I count that as increased monthly $$. You just need to look at the whole picture.

Still New To The Business

I have been working at AAA Mid-Atlantic

Pros

Not corporate America. Higher ups actually listen to your opinions. Not for profit company. Free AAA membership. Excellent employee discounts for auto repairs.

Cons

Still new to the Automotive Repair business.

None.

Great Co workers and that's about it.

Former Employee - Emergency Roadside Assistance Counselor (Call Center) in Newark, DE

I worked at AAA Mid-Atlantic

Pros

My Co workers were awesome, they were always willing to help when you needed it.

Cons

Unrealistic service goals, you are tied to your phone all day and when you have someone on hold too long or you have yourself in "after call" (a mode on the phone you use to finish up work after you're done a call so another one doesn't come in) management is calling to your cubicle telling you to get back to work. They tell you not to use your cell phones while working, which I get, but then the supervisors walk around showing each other facebook pictures of their children and YouTube videos of cats playing the piano. There is a huge workload, you have to let the customers talk to you however they want (lots of screaming and cussing) and the hours...ugh.

No one wants to hear a long schpeel about AAA when they first call in. They don't want a bunch of stupid questions, they want help with their car. That only starts the conversation off on a bad note.

Manager

I have been working at AAA Mid-Atlantic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 401k plan contribution, Flexible working schedule, telecommuting option, smaller teams for better focus, current technology

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are tough, hiring process takes longer time than counterparts, slow decision making , need to improve on compensation, timely training options

Better compensation package, provide career path and growth opportunities, invest more in new technologies

Under appreciation at it's finest

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst

I worked at AAA Mid-Atlantic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

About the only thing this company has going for it is "extra" compensation, health insurance and 401k being at the top of the list.

Cons

Unable to see talent. I saw so many talented people leave while ho hum employees stayed on and eventually advanced simply because they were the best of what was left thus perpetuating the incompetence of management.

Recognize your talent early. Vet your managers and supervisors as leaders and not just good at the job they will be managing.

Stable company, great work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at AAA Mid-Atlantic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A company that fosters a culture based on shared values of respect, integrity, teamwork and quality. Positive work environment with opportunities for growth in a variety of business lines. Great compensation package that includes tuition reimbursement, training opportunities, paid time off and bonus plan.

Cons

Work life balance is not always possible. Would like more resources to get the job done.

Keep listening to the associates.