AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Tim Condon

Pros
  • Well known brand name and roadside service, nothing else (in 3 reviews)

• Great co-workers, benefits are slowly disapearing (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • New CEO (as of March 2014) has a reputation as a "cleanup" guy, which has everyone on edge (in 3 reviews)

• Typical large company interdepartmental bickering and lack of transparency from upper management (in 3 reviews)

Change is hard, but necessary

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time

Pros

The company has been in a transition over the past year and just beginning to emerge on the other side. Past leadership had run the company loosely. We were overstaffed, spending money on too many projects, etc. It was unsustainable. We have since become more disciplined (pace, finances, accountability, etc.). For some this was not a right fit, so they left voluntarily pretty early when the new CEO arrived in 2014. Yes, there were also roles that were eliminated and yes, they were put into redeployment as others have indicated. They were not eliminated only their roles. I'm one of those employees. You're put at the top of the list for any internal opportunity, the program pays you for three months to look for a new job, which can be extended if you need training. Not sure how many companies do this, but can't imagine too many. If you're looking for a tech start-up environment, this is not it. This is a mature business investing heavily in its future. It's the right place for the right people. If you can thrive in high pace, high accountability, high performance... this is the right place and you'll be rewarded.

Cons

Sometimes the company puts too much emphasis and resources into those that are still deciding to stay or go. It's been a year! If you can't commit, go!!! You're slowing the rest of the company down.

Advice to Management

Rip the band-aid off. There's only so much hand holding we should do with employees that can't or won't get it done.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales and Service Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time

Pros

Great reputated company to work for. Employees are very loyal and committed for the success of the company

Cons

feel like company going down with all the changes, and great people are being relocated/fired. Salary/compensation are being cut as well... causing lots of anxiety, not sure what will happen next. Hopefully we'll have the great company like we once had..

Advice to Management

If things ain't broke, don't fix it.

Great Benefits

Current Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time

Pros

First they have the best Benefits I have ever seen – ask about the 401K and both bonus plans!! I came into the tail of some staffing and organizational changes - ignore tenure staff, the changes are all for the strength of the company that is financially shared. Management rewards good work and encourages new ideas that will enhance the department. I look forward to what's ahead and the progressive pay and benefits are incredibly generous.

Cons

Employees with 3+years at AAA NCNU have an outdated, sense of privileged attitude about the company, department and each other. When accepting a position, listen to the new employees who have a better grasp of how to continue to make the company successful.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at tenure employees and evaluate if they would be hired in the current positive climate. Re-classifications and termination may be in order.

Going from bad to worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, weekly free lunch from local restaurants, reasonable hours and competitive salary, free AAA classic membership for full-time employees.

Cons

Constant, random reorganization: Like at any big company, there's some dead weight here, but the people who get laid off are always the effective, helpful employees. And once they're laid off, they're sent (with zero notice) to "redeployment" purgatory: a cubicle on a separate floor where they're not allowed to do any work for their old team (even answering questions) but other managers can requisition their time do to scut work like filing and proofreading. They say it's AAA taking care of its people, but it feels like a shady way to force employees into quitting so that the company doesn't have to pay unemployment. Nobody ever gets hired into a new AAA job out of this "redeployment" corral; it's downright Orwellian. Cold, uncaring leadership: On the day of the last big layoff, executives held a party and gave away board games, candy, and popcorn. Nobody was in a happy mood and it just made the leadership team look like they were dancing on the graves of the people they'd just axed. Infantile policies: The new CEO and his HR team have rolled out a series of increasingly demoralizing changes. This the Bay Area in 2015, and yet the only day we're allowed to wear jeans to work is on "casual Friday" — the new boss is a suit-and-tie guy. And everyone was forced to take down decorations in their cubicles because the new boss doesn't like clutter. We were told it was for earthquake safety but they made us take down things (like paper cutouts and tiny toys) that could not possibly be a hazard. Terrible office location: Unsurprisingly, the whole setup is geared toward car commuters. BART is a shuttle ride away that adds at least 20–30 minutes to your commute. Don't want to pack a lunch? Hope you like Chevy's! The on-site sandwich shop is terrible. There's supposed to be a food truck at an adjacent building every day, but half the time they don't show up. The closest retail is a Trader Joe's/Petco/Starbucks plaza a half mile away. There isn't a Walgreens or Rite-Aid within walking distance. The on-site gym is depressing and poorly equipped — there's only one shower/dressing room for each gender, so you can't work out at lunch unless you want to risk being sweaty for your afternoon meeting. Poor office environment: Everyone chats over the cube walls about non-work subjects, sometimes for hours at a time. There are no private areas for personal calls, so you get to overhear co-workers talking to doctors, school counselors, insurance companies, and offspring. Meeting room space is impossible to find, even if you plan a month out, which means that sensitive discussions happen in the lunch room. Some teams are being converted to new open-plan (no cubicle) environments so the noise problem is going to get worse. Inadequate resources: We're working on computers so old that nobody in IT knows who the leaseholder is on them, and they can't be replaced until that's sorted out. IT Helpdesk and Accounts Payable are outsourced to India, and it takes days to get escalated to someone local when something goes wrong. As a result, simple tech support issues that take minutes to solve can leave you dead in the water for days. Resources (tech and otherwise) are constantly being allocated to the CEO's pet projects and taken away from where they actually do some good.

Advice to Management

Stop laying off ("redeploying") people without understanding what they did in the first place — you're cutting out essential roles and making the remaining employees realize you have no idea what you're doing. At the very least, let redeployed people help their teams transition for a couple of weeks, if they choose. Remember you're in the Bay Area, and your employees (especially your engineers) have MANY other options to work for companies that give free meals, free transportation, stock options, and other valuable perks... and don't require them to buy a whole new wardrobe just to make the CEO feel more comfortable in his suit and tie.

Branch Manager

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

Team Members are why this organization is great!

Cons

The CEO is a dictator. The board of directors promised to hire a leader with a heart. Instead they hired someone that says follow me right or wrong and never question my authority. He has no loyalty to employees that have dedicated years to preserving the brand. He stretches the truth by telling untruths and never responding to questions he cannot answer. It is simply his way or the highway. He has a group of frat boys that carry out his orders in the branch offices. Numerous managers have been fired for being whistle blowers. It is hard to believe the Board of Directors allows him to get away with some of the new practices. The redeployment program is simply a way to get rid of tenured staff. At first they said it had a 100% percentage for finding displaced employees a job. Now they don't talk about it because the process has failed.

Advice to Management

To the Board of Directors - beware - ask questions and look into the numbers. They are hiding the truth. Get rid of the CEO and his executive team before the brand suffers.

Becoming irrelevant fast

I worked at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and the members with which I was blessed to share the experience, with very few exceptions. The staff specifically cares what happens to the member and how their experience could be great.

Cons

I'll start at the top. The CEO and his scared-to-death minions. He has successfully spent million (yes millions) on 3rd rate consultants to come in and tell him what he wanted to hear, ignoring facts, not understanding basic business concept differences between Canada and the US and not being willing to try. Millions more was and is spent on roadside service with no accountability to improve member experience results which subsequently still has this club near the bottom of customer satisfaction. In the name of simplification, the CEO and his "management team" have "redeployed" more than 100 employees which is code for a slow, public death (but don't you dare call it a layoff) while touting that he "promotes from within" which is just code for we changed your title, didn't change your pay, and reduced your bonus potential. Finally, the board ignores all of this and collects their stipends, not wanting to question that they made a terrible decision and it is worse each day.

Advice to Management

The CEO won't take any advice as he has stated "why should I listen to any staff? We're already pay them". Leadership inspires, and there is no inspiration in this company now. The culture is caustic, full of fear of job loss, and every man for himself. Replace the entire CXO and the board if they are unwilling to do their duty to protect the company.

Going downhill

Former Employee - Product Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still a few great people working there trying to bring back the innovation and successful programs that made it a great company.

Cons

Reorganizations that don't line up with realistic business goals. Too much middle management. No clear direction given. Lack of transparency that used to be there. Everyone is in the dark and employees are jumping ship to other Bay Area companies that offer much better benefits and pay.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to penalize employees by taking away benefits. Open communication is key to make employees want to reach goals and not resent upper management.

Sales

Pros

There were many pros two years ago the only pro now is 401 k and having a job

Cons

To many to list, but here are a few. Overworked, not enough quality trained people, out dated software, outdated laptops, managers that work out of fear.

Advice to Management

Tim is by far the worst Ceo I have ever worked for. His quote "America's most trusted organization absolutely famous for doing the right thing". Nobody can explain it in the mid-management level. The right thing is to reward people for hard work. Not cut pay and benefits. Tim's big thing is we are so lucky to have a strong 401 k. This guy never said anything about the 2015 comp an in Tim'so Take. He makes the final decision yet state see your immediate manager for answers. I'd your manager was in retail all their career, and never being part of a commission based structure what the heck are they going to say but it is what it is. Are we suppose to trust you in that there will be no more suprises? I don't need to meet you, I need you to make me feel secure in my job and the direction of the company, and make AAA a great place to work again. Management that makes comments about 3 year plus employees feel entitled look in the mirror and ask yourself why are you with us for under 3 years. Why did you leave your last job. Let us know when we did not profit in the past 5 years. Check your facts.

10. District Sales Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah

Pros

Great benefits, great focus with members

Cons

Tenured employees resist any change and are stuck in the past

Advice to Management

Get rid of anyone those that hate working there

Out of Gas & Running on Empty

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free parking and BART shuttle Catered lunch on Wednesday 6% 401k match Most employees care about servicing AAA members Adequate though not great benefits and compensation Work-life balance if you have the right manager

Cons

Militaristic management structure, Cold War mentality No ownership in job duties; most people accept poor work quality as status quo Poor communication from senior leaders; most are in lockstep with CEO out of fear for jobs Employees are kept in the dark; morale at main office has sunk to new depths in recent months Whole sections of offices are empty, leaving people to wonder what's going on If you are on high-profile project, expect to be demoted after it's complete, not promoted "Redeployment" is billed as "caring for employees," but it's an Orwellian "your-position-has-been-eliminated" program. CEO rarely ventures out to speak to employees, except for canned, quarterly presentations HR parrots management view & is not independent like it should be Rosy picture presented by leaders masks the reality of demotions, layoffs, crappy agent compensation Most people wonder if they are next to be "redeployed" since there's no rhyme or explanation People are leaving left and right, but their replacements are not hired. Instead, employees have to pick up slack or the work doesn't get done. As a result, most work is of poor quality.

Advice to Management

I would ask the board of directors to investigate the management of this company. Emerging technologies will likely make this company obsolete in 10 years. (Remember phone booths?) Most old-timers say this is the worst they've ever seen, and some of them have been through several CEOs. If you disagree with management or actually have an opinion, expect to be "redeployed."

RSS Feed </> Embed