AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah

Updated April 16, 2015
63 reviews filtered by
2.3
Tim Condon

Pros
  • Well known brand name and roadside service, nothing else (in 3 reviews)

• Great co-workers, benefits are slowly disapearing (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The new CEO installed a hierarchical structure reminiscent of the 1980s which is completely out of touch with modern collaborative management (in 3 reviews)

• Many re-orgs and the upper management is always changing their minds (in 3 reviews)

1. Datapower Administrator

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Glendale, AZ
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment, Flexible timings, Work life balance, Latest Technologies

Cons

No much cons, very great environment to work for

2. Been with company 12 years now and the time just flew by. It is ever changing and very challenging.

Current Employee - ERS Tech
    Current Employee - ERS Tech

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for personal and professional growth..

Cons

Communication is not the best. They will ask everyone but you a question only you can answer.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to PC every answer and try to be more direct. Employees appreciate knowing where they stand.

This company has become a nighmare

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time

Pros

I tried, I really did to find one good thing about this company and what it’s become and came up blank. It used to be fun but that's all changed.

Cons

Cons:

Where to start:

Culture of Fear: They hired a new CEO back in March that thinks he’s still in the 1950s, dress codes, intimidation, paper memos etc. First thing he did was eliminate all the female workers reporting to him and surround himself with yes men They went from wearing jeans and casual shirts one day to ties the next. All of these “free” thinkers spend their days in fear and regurgitating what the CEO tells them. As a matter of fact, you now get rewarded for reciting the party line.

Early on the CEO complained about reply all in email, a forty-year only technology. He told the CIO to turn off the reply all button in outlook (there was a work around that very day). Those that question where the company is going are encouraged to find work elsewhere.

Speaking of party line let me introduce to dress codes. The CEO held an all hands with the company to tell everyone how well they were doing and the next day HR makes the announcement about the dress code with lines like “modest hemlines” and “no tennis shoes on the Friday dress down day” will be implemented, I mean really who talks or writes like that anymore. If there is a culture change, it’s the responsibility of the CEO to make the announcement, not some clueless HR lackey.
    The overall point though is death by 1000 cuts. People will get fed up and leave and leave they are. Those that are left keep their mouths shut and do what they’re told, toxic environment.

Generally poor management: Decision are made in a vacuum. The CEO will only talk to his circle of yes men and they dictate what they’ve been told. Change of direction at a moments notice is a very common occurrence. For example, no sooner do we get the IT systems that run the company working, they decide to throw them out for home grown systems. Why didn’t they do this to begin with? As part of this there was a group in IT that was doing the work on these systems downstairs and I heard they mass left/quit when the new direction was announced.

By the way only EVPs have any power here, they even approve the simplest expense report. VP has no more authority than a common line manager.

There were plenty of reviews and warnings on this CEO from his prior company (BCAA) and yet the board hires him. They guy is totally out of touch for modern companies let alone the bay area. He talks about being in the Silicon Valley, yet his actions show a distrust and distain for the area, amazing.

Politics: The politics in this company are stifling. First there is the company, which is part of a holding company, that reports to a National entity and a governing board. On top of that, there is the internal politics and morons with power you have to wade through to get anything done. Everyone is trying to throw everyone else under the bus.

Finally the product has a finite life: They are marketing/catering to an aging population with better alternatives. Rather than taking a look at the market and what their competitors are doing, putting more trucks on the street is the answer, working harder not smarter.

Advice to Management

You know, usually there advice to management like throw them all out or treat people better, but the managers there lack the ability or just don’t care. Ultimately the market is going to deal NCNU their well-deserved fate. There are better alternatives on the Market with more coming every day which means that NCNU will fade into the sunset like so many before them.

Can somebody remind Tim Condon it is 2015...and that he lives in the Bay Area?!

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah

Pros

Coworkers who genuinely care about each other.

Cons

- Toxic environment due to poor leadership choices.
    - Change in strategic direction every couple of months.
    - Constant reorgs.
    - Dictatorship - dare to disagree and you will loose your job.
    - General incompetence.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO who cares about his employees. Having incompetent managers run departments and manage people is a sure way to chase away talent. Pay attention to these reviews as well as the overall employee sentiment. Also, you might want to know most employees already figured out Alt+L = reply all

Almost 8 Years

Current Employee - Data Support Manager in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Data Support Manager in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay, bonus, and 401k

Cons

You can't trust management. Politics are heavy. They change for the sake of changing. No accountability. Disabled Reply All in Outlook.

Advice to Management

Start trying to rebuild trust. Put together a plan and communicate that plan.

Sales Agent

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, CA

I worked at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah

Pros

Pay is outstanding after 5 years,

Cons

Tim Condon stating "why would an agent make more than $150,000 a year.

Benefits lost pension and retirement full medical. Not being able to talk to somebody hire than your direct manager. Nothing gets resolved. Comp plan is horrible all agents took a pay cut.

Advice to Management

Sales people bring in new business, shedding cost by cutting agent privligies, and their salaries. Plenty of unhappy people, yet management does nothing.

1950s Time travel. Would not recommend.

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time

Pros

The team members genuinely care about members (or customers) - so it's refreshing to work with people trying to not only do good work, but also do right by the member.

There are some really great people who work here, despite the terrible leadership. >It is very dependent on your direct team and manager, whether it would be a tolerable experience.

Office building views, overlooking the water, are spectacular.

Free parking if you drive. Free Emeryville shuttle (provided by the city) to the office if you BART.

Cons

As much as AAA cares about members, they do not care about employees. Especially any lower level management or individual contributor employees.

Compensation is way under market value - unless you are higher level management or leadership.
    As people leave to seek better opportunities, the headcount [for essential positions] is not back-filled. Existing employees take on their departed colleagues' work. Their salary is not compensated. Being overworked and underpaid triggers them to look for new opportunities. So the cycle is self-perpetuating.

Heavy, HEAVY politics.
    A lot of back talk.
    A lot of hearing things through the 'grape vine'
    A lot of managers disparaging employees to other employees/managers in an open office environment. So the entire area hears why manager X is ticked off at employee Y. Or how employee Y tends to overdo it, or some other thing they do or don't do. Everyone but employee Y. >>Either don't say it at all. Or - if it is actually necessary to discuss - go into a conference room. Etiquette 101, people. I don't want to hear your gossip. It horrifies me... because if this is what they say out in the open - what else do they say about people behind closed doors?

Outdated technology (which is not unusual for a club/company this size) - but with no plans to invest in new and better technology. >Instead of looking for ways to engage new generations, they plan to market to an aging population [because that is the generation that makes up our members currently]. ...No ..we don't need to get better technology to service our members faster/better. No we don't need to make a usable app. Let's instead spend millions of dollars on branch office redesigns because our current member base of 60 year-olds sometimes go to the branch to get a free map. Then maybe we can up-sell them some insurance. .....What? Really??

Leadership is not transparent. Not trustworthy.
    People are fired suddenly and no explanation is given to the rest of the team.
    Management not consistent with communications and actions [says one thing, demonstrates another]. Not consistent with actions across employees.

Leadership is out of touch with dissatisfaction of lower level contributors. A lot of the good folks have left for better opportunities because of the new management direction.

Someone already mentioned that the CEO had the 'reply all' button on outlook disabled. That is just the perfect illustration for this out of touch company and leadership. If there really was a problem of too many emails being sent, there are SO many better solutions. The first - of course - being addressing the employees and requesting everyone be more thoughtful and intentional when sending emails to relevant parties. The outpouring of logical/kind arguments for bringing back the 'reply all' for improved productivity in the office was ignored. Apparently if leadership makes a decision, it is final. Even if that mistake is continuously harmful to the business. So not only did they make a poor decision, but they do not value input from their employees.

I'm all for trying new things. I welcome change. But only when you are aware enough/secure enough/nimble enough to reverse or alter those decisions that don't work. Fail fast and all that. That is not the atmosphere here.

There is a lot of kissing up - yes sir, no sir - type of atmosphere. People trying to play the politics game.

New dress code enforced. Tie optional.
    New remote hours policy.
    Random privileges being cut. <Which I understand are privileges only. But the total sum of the above paint a clear picture of the new internal culture, and it's not pretty.>

More and more focus is put on (irrelevant) things... other than performance, output, or attitude.

The place is loosing it's culture and turning back into an 'old boys' club'.

LACK OF DIVERSITY! This is the Bay Area. Surely you can do better. Lots of old, white men with similar perspectives on life and work. [Granted, I really like some of the individual old white men. But the lack of diversity is really limiting our awareness and our strategy as a company. When everyone has the same perspective, it hurts the company].

The new direction is towards the corporate culture and office politics of the 1950s. Which is horrifying. But even more horrifying - they think of the 1950s in a fond light. I actually overheard someone say the other day... 'Its like the 1950s, but all the good bits'. Ya know....the good ole days. <Holy Yikes!!!>

I get really frustrated with this because there is SO MUCH POTENTIAL to be great. We were set up for success, and management is failing us. We already have a great mission and values, and we provide a valuable service to members. We also have some truly great employees. But the new hostile attitude towards employees, and the direction management is taking us is simply not working. In terms of business strategy and internal culture.

Literally every lower level person I know is looking for another job.

The pros simply cannot outweigh the vast amount of current cons. When you can't trust the management, it's time to move on.

I hope that I can be proven wrong. And I'm happy to be surprised by a turnaround...but it looks unlikely.

Advice to Management

Advice to the Board: Get new management.

Advice for new management:
    Focus on restoring the trust that was damaged

Build a culture that will attract and keep top talent. Add diversity to the talent pool.
    >Reverse the political atmosphere and direction into an 'old boys club'.

INVEST IN TECHNOLOGY

Change the business strategy. Stop waiting for people to 'age into the demographic' because of the outdated technology.
    Move the focus from restoring branches to improving our core competency - emergency road service.

Change the contracts with independent service providers. Remove territory boundaries, thereby improving efficiency, decreasing member wait times, and removing empty back-hauls.

Change member communications strategy. No one wants to hear what their 'average wait time in the area' is. That just confuses members. We have the technology to say to the member - for your exact location, your wait time is 12 minutes. Or your wait time is 35 minutes. Etc. Stop giving false estimated times by quoting the average expected wait time for (e.g.) Oakland.

Invest in the community. >No one knows the headquarters is in the Bay Area.

Implement marketing that emphasizes AAA is a not-for-profit. Very, very few people (including members) know this. The focus on 'trust' and 'fairness' could benefit from more people knowing this.

Treat employees with respect.

Invest in employees: training, etc.
    >Remember that quote...
    'What if I SPEND all this time and money to train them and then they LEAVE?”
    “What if you DON’T TRAIN them and they STAY?”
    All the top talent seems to be departing. Prevent the company from turning into one comprised only of mediocre talent and complacency.

Top-down Pyramid Structure

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good paid holiday schedule. I think it's 10 paid days per year.

Cons

The most boring & self centered management I've encountered in my 35 years of work experience. Compensation for field staff and agents is below industry standards.

Advice to Management

Find a sense of humor - it's only an auto club/insurance brokerage.

10. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah

Pros

Pay, work life balance, company vehicle, excellent and cheap insurance and benefits

Cons

Somewhat indecisive and secretive with big decisions and projects. High ELT turnover. Cloudy goals and focus over the last several years

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and decisive.

You are better off working somewhere else

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah

Pros

Free lunch for a day within a week

Cons

A lot of people especially in IT are there to play politics and not really deliver solutions. End users are not happy.

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Photos