AAA Texas

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Member Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Member Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at AAA Texas

Pros

Decent insurance, pension, reasonable goals in most areas & easy job.

Cons

Lack of structure!!! Cheap company. Lack of advanced technology. Managers overloaded with conference calls & managing more than one branch that employees are poorly managed. Managers have no backbone. As a result, some employees are habitually late, slipping out of the office for personal errands when management is absent thereby leaving other employees to pick up the slack. Employees are poorly dressed for work and dress code is not enforced.

Please stand up to your upper management regarding the decline of employee morale due the above mentioned Cons. Please stop OPENLY socializing with certain employees outside of work. This gives the appearence of favortism. Please DO surprise visits when not expected in the office so that you can see who is abusing the system. Please ALTERNATE WEEKENDS OFF MORE CONSISTANLY. Employees have lives outside of AAA. Half days on Saturday is still a day at work!!! If you are not keeping up with your employees(above mentioned Cons) then it would behoove management to at least be consistant in awarding alternate weekends off. This could temporarily offset the poor morale issues. If the above mentioned Cons were addressed there would not be such a high turnover.

Dispatch

I have been working at AAA Texas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay, quarterly and yearly incentives and they celebrate every holiday with food!

Cons

The Managers! High turn over rate but that's any call center

Not a Long Term Career

Former Employee - Direct Sales Agent in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Agent in Irving, TX

I worked at AAA Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free AAA Plus Membership
    Decent health insurance
    Paid training/licensing

Cons

No career growth
    Terrible hours (late night/weekends) are mandatory
    Inexperienced management
    Micromanagement
    Low morale and disrespect from peers and management

RUN!!!!! DO NOT LOOK BACK!!!

Current Employee - Claims in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims in Irving, TX

I have been working at AAA Texas full-time

Pros

there's a cafeteria on site and until the end of the year, a parking garage

Cons

Management appears to be incredibly incompetent. Do not expect to be developed in your career here. In fact I'm sure TDI would love to know what goes on here. The company is horribly cheap. The computers crash on a daily basis and the software is inefficient. No one even has real name tags. You get a piece of paper in a sheet protector with your name on it, taped to the side of your desk. They drug test your hair like you're going to be flying planes, yet people dress like they're going to work at a strip club. I've never seen so many visible tattoos, inappropriately dressed and grammatically challenged people in a professional environment. It's a total joke.

Hire more people with some class and less visible tattoos. I'd recommend a grammar test as opposed to a hair follicle drug test. Also,get some real name tags. Seriously. These are full time employees, not temps.

The management will push you to your breaking point and then find a way to getrid you.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at AAA Texas

Pros

Possibly earn a good salary

Cons

Very very stressful environment that needs an overhaul for working conditions

Scare tactics are bad for team morale

Stressful

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AAA Texas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They help you get your insurance license, training is extensive and informative, paid training.

Cons

What you learned in training is foreign to what happens when you're out in the field. No work-life balance.

Quit micro-managing and making unkept promises. Speak to the agents respectfully, because we make you money.

Good Place to Start Career

Current Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Irving, TX

I have been working at AAA Texas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

> Good Pay
    >Good Benefits
    > The training is good and they pay for you to secure your license which is awesome.
    They teach you the ropes of the sales industry

Cons

>No Work life balance they want you to live there
    > Manager's are only in it for themselves they micromanage entirely too much
    > You can't trust what the management tells you they will have a contest promise a prize and never deliver on it.

Why bother they do not listen unless you determine their pay

Ok benefits, not so good pay, and can be really stressful.

Former Employee - Emergency Roadside Service Representative in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Emergency Roadside Service Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at AAA Texas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The workout facility is decent and is in the same building. The benefits are good.

Cons

The Emergency Roadside Service department can be very stressful and the pay is inadequate for the work.

If you want a career, don't work here. No room for growth, company is behind the times.

Former Employee - Travel Agent
    Former Employee - Travel Agent

I worked at AAA Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, AAA has been in business for over 100 years.
    Benefits are decent. But there's room for improvement.
    Travel discounts
    Insurance discounts

Cons

Low pay
    Very limited room for growth.
    There is very little consistency from office to office, or region to region. For a company as large as AAA, it's important that there are set policies and procedures in place. They do have and teach these in corporate, however they are not enforced as taught in the offices. It's very frustrating.
    No overtime, even in the busy season... they freak out about that. I was very successful in my role in sales and found myself having to work from home to keep up. This was a big no-no with AAA, however in order to maintain a quality level of service it was necessary. I did this because I valued my work. I did not get paid for this time, nor did I ask to be... I was just doing what I needed to, to get the job done.
    Benefits could be better compared to other companies of their size.
    Micromanaged by managers that are themselves stretched too thin.
    No support/coaching due to managers being overloaded.
    Management is more interested in furthering themselves than working towards improving the company.
    Management is often lacking in leadership. Employees need strong management that will be willing to go up to bat for them. Instead the management that's put in place tends to just be a mouthpiece for upper management.
    There is no transparency or effective communication between upper management and employees. Everything is treated as a big secret. It is the old school way of managing (top down mentality), which I personally believe hinders growth in an organization. They are not open to ideas from staff, and the corporate office is often very out of touch with what is actually happening around the state.
    Out of date equipment AND processes. The amount of paper used alone, is absurd.
    Products are losing relevance and members are dying... This may sound harsh, but the reality is the bulk of AAA's members are over 50. AAA struggles with attracting young members and this is because the products they offer are no longer worth the money when compared to the online services available. It will be interesting to see where AAA is in 10 years.

Communicate better with your staff.
    Set your managers up to succeed by giving them the appropriate resources, and giving 1 office per manager. Having managers cover 2 offices, and some that are over an hour apart does not set up the managers or the staff to succeed.
    Spend the money on quality supplies and equipment. You're a National company that's well known... act like it. Invest in your company and get out of the stone age as far as technology is concerned.
    Stop micromanaging. Let Managers manage, give them more power.
    Utilize your software for what is was designed to do. Stop bothering sales agents with spreadsheets and reports that can be easily accessed by management through the POS system used in the office.
    Go electronic. It is crazy this day in age the amount of paper that's being used, and having paper files. Plus, electronic files are more secure.
    Ask and listen to your employees about what's going on in the office/field. They may have some great ideas. If someone submits ideas and is trying to be proactive - work with them! At least respond to them...

Salary

I worked at AAA Texas

Pros

Good managers. Work with your schedule .

Cons

Pay is fairly low compared to market