AAF-McQUAY

Add Photos

Katsuhiko Takagi

Loss prevention

I have been working at AAF-McQUAY full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are awesome and so is the retirement plan

ConsI can't think of anything that is bad with this company

Advice to Senior ManagementAvailable if your willing to move

It's exciting to be a part of Daikin's efforts to transform McQuay into a high-tech, high-reliability HVAC manufacturer.

Market Research (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MN

I have been working at AAF-McQUAY full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDaikin's commitment to the overarching goal of Global #1 means emphasis on quality, kaizen and quick response to identified issues. Lots of changes for the good.
I enjoy helping development, marketing and engineering teams work together. The new leadership in the US is motivated and experienced, ready to make Daikin McQuay a force to be reckoned with.

ConsBlending of Daikin and McQuay corporate cultures is not an easy process, especially with language differences. Cross-functional communication is still difficult, with heirarchy slowing the flow of information.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to leaner decision-making processes. Facilitate cooperation between locations with strong leadership at the top.

First 70 of the 90 years is the prime time of AAF, can we come back?

I have been working at AAF-McQUAY

ProsPeople are very friendly to work with. There is a fair amount of veterans of the company who has been with the company for 20 to 40 years. They really knows the business. However they are all retiring soon.

ConsFrom marketing to R&D, the company need to invest much more to compete with others. If look at the AAF history prior to 90s, you know why the company is successful then. We are the leader for innovation, massive marketing department, best industry knowledge of know how. These days, it is all eliminating products can't sale without adding new product into product line fast enough. The brand name is still strong, however we need strong leadership. Some of the senior management team is not knowledge enough to lead the company, divisions, or groups.
HR department need to spend a little more to find the best people in the industry or train its own young team member.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more on training employee. Bring them to conference, industry association, trade show. Push harder in emerging market.

The 90's were good, should we stay there?

Plymouth, MN

I have been working at AAF-McQUAY

ProsThe people are good to work with, and things are fairly laid back on a day to day basis. There is an overall good atmosphere to work in, with the bad things usually are nothing more than petty office politics that seldom rise above the "annoyance" level.
Individual people really care that what they do actually helps and supports the customer.

ConsMcQuay has a top notch product, but there is little drive to improve the office to match what is the real world product output of the equipment. A large number of people have been there 20+ years and while the factories produce, the management seems content to coast when it comes to the support of that product.

Advice to Senior ManagementDaikin bought McQuay and they have clearly made improvements to the factories and products to among the best in the industry. However there seems to be a fear to look at the management of the headquarters. There is a real need to step up what is done to support their customers after the initial sale. This is a lost opportunity that is given away to their competitors who kept up with communications better than McQuay.
Change the focus to what is best for the customers, not what is easy for the office. There are improvements in computers and technology that they need to learn to use in the office, not just talk about- as what McQuay has works, but it is highly fragmented.

Lack of Leadership and Vision

Service Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at AAF-McQUAY

ProsEmployees are treated fairly.Good communication from the corporate office. Bought out by Daikin, who has deeper pockets for future growth.

ConsPoor leadership at the regional levels. The corporate HR manager has too much decision making power with very little knowledge of the industry. Company is too slow to acknowlege warranty problems with equipment already in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully Daikin has better leaders and vision.

Very poor working conditions

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at AAF-McQUAY full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIts a job, if you can drive a forklift or clamp in that environment, you can drive it anywhere.

ConsNo bonuses, last year instead of giving employees a cost of living raise, they gave a lump sum check which was heavily taxed. Poor set up, inconsistent management. No employee recongnition.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees make good employees

Lack of leadership and a total make over required

Credit Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at AAF-McQUAY as a contractor for less than a year

ProsMost co workers are very friendly and have worked for the company for over 20 years

ConsLack of real leadership and mico management at it's WORST. Has to be the quietest place ever. On a floor with over 200 people, at any given time you can hear a pin drop. All you hear is typing on the computer and seeing co workers with their headsets in listening to music or live radio. No room at all to move up. Lack of respect and could care less about raise promises made. Way over worked and totally underpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut from the top down. Start with the most incompetent HR department I have ever worked with. Your cash & credit department are a total mess and the SAP transfer was a total 6 month nightmare. It should have been implemented in other countries where the branches are before we trusted all our cash info to be screwed up during the SAP going "live" what a joke

Excellent people, with with the exception of HR leadership and Daikin support

Vice President of Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at AAF-McQUAY

ProsThe day to day employees are like family. They have great value and pride. The location and office at corporate are nice.

ConsExecutive leadership lacks but that has recently changed. HR must go to make it a choice employer, Daikin should sell the AAF portion of the company and keep McQuay. They need to make some drastic head count adjustments again.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to focus of streamlining strategy if they want to make a go for profit. Reduction in sites is a must.. Overhead rates are high. Make the cuts and quit dancing around. Start in HR top down. Don't be fooled by HRs pleasant responses.

Poor leadership and too much incompetent HR

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AAF-McQUAY

ProsDecent pay and benefits. Mostly good people to work with. There are a lot of veterans with very good product knowledge. There is a real desire for growth.

ConsHR is completely incompetent. One example is when they opened the ADC, HR was in charge of the grand opening and sent out an email a month ahead of time for employees to choose to attend the catered meal. A week before the event they announced that all employees could not park their car on the premises and had to park half of a mile to a mile away. Lets just say that the food ran out halfway through the service.

Senior management has no clue on how to implement Daikin's growth plan. Their best marketing job is to Daikin and the new CEO, not to actual producing and promoting products in the markets necessary for growth. Daikin wants them to be a leader, but McQuay continually operates in niche markets. Part of the veteran employees is that management is also full of long term people who haven't moved on from the micromanaging of the 60's and 70's. Performance is determined by how many hours you are at your desk. Some of the poor middle managers work 12 hour days, partially because the systems are antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDaikin wants you to be a leader in the Commercial HVAC market, not the Applied. You have to think bigger than your comfort zone currently is. Clean out the HR department (again) and fix your systems issues. It will take getting rid of some of the long term managers to move forward. You should start with the managers who over-hired. Why are they still there?

A company caught unwilling to move out of the "90". HR runs the show don't forget that.

I have been working at AAF-McQUAY

ProsThe people are great. Although the majority have been there for 20+ years, they are good people.

ConsGrowth is a dream. It does not happen but to a few. The companies growth plan is a dream. Many competitors will continue to take market share. Don't plan on a bonus or a decent raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementTakagi is the silent Japanese leader.

Worked for AAF-McQUAY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AAF-McQUAY reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AAF-McQUAY CEO Katsuhiko Takagi. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by AAF-McQUAY employees.