AAI Corporation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Ellen Lord

Pros
  • The schedule is flexible and some co-workers are good to be around (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules and decent benefits for employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management issues filter down to the lower ranks (in 6 reviews)

• All I heard the last 2 years I was employed at AAI was how important it was to grow our employees and promote from within (in 3 reviews)

AAI culture changed with acquisition by Textron

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to have exposure to wide variety of responsibilities.

Cons

AAI has lost its way and is now very short sighted.

Advice to Management

Pursue wider variety of smaller programs rather than just going for the big win.

Interesting projects, fast-paced, take charge on your own

Current Employee - Software Engineering
    Current Employee - Software Engineering

I have been working at AAI Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working as a software engineer at AAI Corporation has been an overall positive experience. There are plenty of interesting projects using technologies on various platforms, and the amount of work is fairly consistent being a defense contractor. Lots of smart people willing to work as a team. Opportunities to travel and work in the field, if that's your thing. Benefits and compensation are okay. Engineering is consistently understaffed, which is both good and bad. Good because there are many opportunities for people to take charge if they are willing to put the time and effort in. Bad because you might find yourself juggling too much at one time.

Cons

They seem to only hire interns, entry level positions, and overqualified contractors, so it can be difficult to find openings for mid-level engineers. Layoffs happen as they do in every large company, but they've been handled very poorly. As a software engineer, don't expect to have your hand held, which is of course surprising given that the majority of new hires have zero experience. There is very little mentoring because time does not allow for it (understaffed + tight schedules). Schedules are often poorly estimated, resulting in hasty and sometimes sloppy execution. Many times the onus falls on software as it is usually one of the final major pieces. Most programs tend to deal with lots of subcontractors, no matter how hard you try to prove or argue that it should be done in-house. Expect the exchange of information and ideas to proceed at a snail's pace, though this is probably no different than any other defense contractor.

Advice to Management

Focus more on customer satisfaction and less on profit. Yes, one of our goals is to make money to sustain and grow the company; but, losing the interest of long-term, devoted customers is not an option.

Contracts Manager

Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Contracts Manager in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at AAI Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Autonomy. Opportunity to grow your own job, implement more efficient systems, and gain productivity.

Cons

Very poor leadership. Top executives pitted different programs against each other. Leaders lacked impartiality, played favorites, allowed bullying, and tolerated poor performance from many. Management employed pre-set performance ratings to minimize merit increases, in consecutive years, while others were promoted and given significant salary increases but without additional job responsibilities. Top management did not mingle with employees, or communicate at a one-on-one level to learn and understand what challenges or needs employees had. Constant reorganization and changing name of company resulted in low employee morale and loss of corporate identity.

Advice to Management

Establish and promote a new corporate culture that will lift up people. Clarify responsibility at all levels and apply accountability. Avoid crisis management. Win new business.

Good for Entry-Level; Not Much Room for Anything Else

Current Employee - Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at AAI Corporation

Pros

Semi-interesting products, easy hire for college graduates, just spent the last 3 minutes staring into the screen trying to come up with more pros but I have nothing

Cons

Very high turnover rate; immature work product processes (if there are any existing in the first place) result in inefficiency across certain departments; management of different levels changes every few months; management doesn't know how to identify leaders to fill in management positions; plenty of cutbacks in the past year and seems like there is more to come; due to the recent cutbacks employees from a different location will now be moving into the Hunt Valley location where parking and office space has already been congested and challenging to find; unrealistic expectations from project leaders; the overall culture is nonchalant, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, and hope for the best!

Advice to Management

Talent development leads to talent retention leads to high quality work/employees/products/etc.

Horrible work environment

I worked at AAI Corporation

Pros

I seriously cannot think of any one thing....except, perhaps, ....oops...no. Thought I had one.

Cons

A FEW comments [but by no means all]...There is no job security; they have annual layoffs at the beginning of each year [what an awesome belated corporate Christmas gift, Textron!]. To compensate for these layoffs, they hire hundreds of interns to "make up" for the supreme talent they let go. As a consequence, employees leave in droves once they find new employment. Sr. Management ignores unethical behavior from their PM's & department managers. Instead, they leave bad managers in place who, in turn, bring down morale of their employees. Their HR representatives are untrustworthy and unreliable. It is a known fact that NO One employee goes to ANY HR rep because they cannot be trusted. For a company that strives to be considered full of integrity and ethical, it most certainly isn't. This company is an absolute mess! BTW - the one star rating for career opportunities is an error. I inadvertently clicked on the button.

Advice to Management

I wish you luck with getting a better handle on employee trust, morale, and confidence. It's going to take you quite a long while. I advise you to start now. Until you acknowledge the severity of employee discontent, accept the quiet undulating stream of discord throughout your ranks.

7. Great Experience

Former Employee - Logistics Analyst in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Logistics Analyst in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in Support Solutions as a Logistics Analyst. I went their straight out of school and spent 4 years there. I learned so much ... in school I learned theory and at AAI I gained tremendous practical experience. The company is mid sized, although part of the much larger Textron, and as a result I got a wide variety of experience. My boss moved me around -- a bit in the Technical Publication organization, some in doing Logistics Analysis, some in testing, and all in all a great experience. Good supervisors and although two different folks have run the organization -- both seemed to understand the business, provide solid leadership, have a good sense for where the business should go. The current guy is very accessible - last person wasnt. Good training opportunities, a strong focus on young profressionals and a promote from within philosophy, good tools good benefits, and excellent educational assistance program!! You can work on some really cool stuff there -- unmanned aircraft, unmanned boats, state of the art firearms, and high tech electronic warfare equipment.

Cons

Cannot say much bad. Office space was sub par -- tiny cubicles, average computers. My recruiting experience wasnt great -- a bit slow. Left only to get back home (Georgia) after spending my time in AAI's Maryland location.

Advice to Management

keep up the focus on promoting from within. should look at the recruiting process - probably scares some folks away because it is slow... also may want to upgrade the workspace a bit.

8. Aircrafts side of UAS was a real Experience Booster!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues, Managers and Junior Engineers were very smart and knowledgeable on the Product Line. People looked after one another and were leading the implementation of Systems Engineering processes to be able to create optimized UAVs.

Cons

Career Growth in the Engineering realm was limited and individuals were encouraged to move towards the Business/Program Management side in order advance in their careers. Engineering careers seemed limited after a couple of levels.

Advice to Management

Need to find a balance between Engineering and Business/Program Management. If good products cannot be designed and produced, then there is no point in implementing the best "money counting tools". Because if you don't produce good products, then the money won't be coming in and you won't be using these tools.

positive overall experience with latitude to grow with the company

I worked at AAI Corporation

Pros

Flexibility in the role. Rewarding work with a high degree of customer interaction. Good people to work with

Cons

Heavy handed approach from corporate management in implementing policy. short sighted leadership-not investing in the long term to build a reputable organization

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach

Great in the beginning pre textron, then became a nightmare.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Promotional opportunity The technology is great Customer and mission for products is amazing

Cons

Senior leadership (referred to as the "executive leadership team") is out of touch with their employee base. Middle management handles everything from future business to the day to day, middle managent is the backbone of this company and "executive" levels of management don't even realize it. Human resources "business partners" (generalists) are clueless at this company and only cover their own ....

Advice to Management

Stretch your legs and talk to the employee base once in a while, it will show you care and give you valuable insight. Stop re-Orging every five minutes. You are bleeding employees.

26 Years

I have been working at AAI Corporation

Pros

interesting, fast paced, world travel, innovative technology

Cons

consistent cutbacks and layoffs, most senior executives and top salaries have been getting cut.

RSS Feed </> Embed