AAI Corporation

AAI Corporation Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014

Ellen Lord

Pros
  • I love the company overall and the work schedule is flexible (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules, great mission and customer focus (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management issues filter down to the lower ranks (in 6 reviews)

• All I heard the last 2 years I was employed at AAI was how important it was to grow our employees and promote from within (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

18 years

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

was promoted to Engineer IV

Cons

very interesting job, good office culture, place for personal growth.

need better training

Recognized early in my career what an awesome opportunity existed at AAi, I retired after 30+ years.

I have been working at AAI Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AAI has always engaged in highly innovative projects that placed the customer needs before company profit margins. "Customer First" was always the mantra for AAI's success. Reasonable profit and growth resulted from the good customer-supplier association.

Cons

Since the aquisition of AAI Corporation to Textron Systems, the focus has shifted from customer satisfaction to very high net return on profit. Employee loyalty has suffered from his approach.

Employees are your greatest resource. Align them properly to maximize their potential and generate excellent products with reasonable profit.

Great product and great workforce

I have been working at AAI Corporation

Pros

the people are great. the product is interesting.

Cons

Upper management issues filter down to the lower ranks. Job security is bad.

I didn't hate working there but I definitely didn't LOVE working there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work life balance is probably the best part of working there. Everything else could be improved.

Cons

I experienced a lot of 'isms' during my time there. You fill in the blanks.

First place to start, get rid of 'the good old boys' club.

Good Company with challenging work

Current Employee - Manager in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at AAI Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Products are in demand and are likely to remain in demand. Decent mix of long term employees with people who have come from outside the company. Textron's goal to move people within the greater corporation is bringing people in from sister companies which has a positive effect overall.

Cons

Pay is below many peers in the industry. As the oversupplyof people abates, this may cause an exodus of talent. Frequent "Talent Reviews" are stated to be an attempt to be able to move people as soon as they are ready for new responsibilities but are viewed by employees as a constant look for who to lay off.

Consider 9/80 work schedule as adopted by many customer and competitor organizations

Culture supports favoritism

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit offerings are decent based on industry standards. Ellen Lord is a very powerful, articulate speaker who knows the company intimately and the products that AAI makes support the US military and allies. Most of my coworkers were easy to get along with.

Cons

All I heard the last 2 years I was employed at AAI was how important it was to grow our employees and promote from within. Yet, the main focus is on recent college grads, which bypasses those employees who have the experience but no degree. However, if you are a "golden child", a favorite, the company will bend over backwards to keep you, even if you don't meet the job requirements. You'll get promoted anyway.

Remember, not everyone in the company has a college degree or is in an exempt position. You want to grow employees from within? Start with the non-exempt staff; those employees near or at the bottom of the ladder, those that want to move up the food chain. Those employees can be extremely valuable; you just don't see it.

Bad experience at remote office

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours are flexible. The compensation is competitive.

Cons

The office culture is toxic. The current rate of employees quitting is about 1.5 a month. Those that remain have an anxiety with each other thinking they too will leave. And they do. Working here has been a terrible, humbling experience. The work is uninterested and meaningless. If writing software and facing challenging problems is your thing, then you will lose your skills working here. You will rarely code. You will rarely think, unless it is about leaving.

Middle management is as much in it as every other employee. Get out while you can.

A company stuck in its ways

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting products, loyal employees, compensation, Ellen Lord taking over again.

Cons

Leadership stuck in their ways...not willing to look at cheaper ways to produce products (e.g. outside of MD)

MD is not the center of the universe...the other sites have fully capable employees who are eager to prove their worth. You have (or had) a 200,000 sq ft facility in SC that is EMPTY...with much lower overheads.

Good Company but Leadership Micro-manages in Electronic Systems Area

I worked at AAI Corporation full-time

Pros

Great work variety with very innovate technologists on the Team. Great team of mid-level managers.

Cons

VP level leadership was not very good at conveying the direction and strategy for the company. They are also not very customer focused and the voice of the customer is often not heard.

Provide your mid-level managers with guidance and resources and let them be successful. Set some long term goals to slow the constant "re-balancing" of resources that impact everyone.

Seniority counts, talent not so much

Current Employee - Software Developer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at AAI Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was given very little work to do, so the job was easy, and I had plenty of time to plan starting a business without work getting in the way.

Cons

Boring, mediocre employees. Outdated and antiquated technology. Fiefdoms of senior employees whose talent seemed to be in having been there a long time rather than actual skills or intellect made the job annoying. Too much cronyism.

Get rid of the deadwood. Make a positive effort to upgrade your technology to the late 20th century. In short, get this company off its fundament.