AAMC Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.5

AAMC President and CEO Darrell G Kirch
Darrell G Kirch

Great place to work, a culture second to none!

I worked at AAMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate and workplace culture. Above average compensation and great benefits.

Cons

Difficult to maintain a work life balance, even though the culture encourages its. Many coworkers work informally on nights and weekends.

Overall a generally good company to work for

Former Employee - ERAS Client and Technical Analyst II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - ERAS Client and Technical Analyst II in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership team overall tries to make the AAMC an excellent company that focuses on its employees. Received great training opportunities and they paid the majority of my tuition for me to go to school at University of Maryland University College. Every summer we had the opportunity to take courses at Learning Tree. I appreciated the travel opportunities as I was able to visit many states that I may not have visited on my own.

Cons

IMHO I was laid off (along with several others) to be replaced with people who would perform the same job for less money. A lot us that came in during the "boom" years our salaries were excellent however when the economy turned they could not justify a significant pay decrease so a bunch of us were laid off.

It is not all about the bottom line. Show your employees that you value their input and giving them the option to accept a decrease in pay instead of being let go.

Good company, limited advancement

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a non-profit, the AAMC generally operates on a 35 hour work week so it's easy to achieve a work-life balance. There will be a few hectic times of year with long hours usually leading up to or during big meetings or events. People are generally friendly and easy to work with, and there are many passionate employees that want to positively impact academic medicine and healthcare.

Cons

The association can be rather silo'd and you may not get much exposure to parts of the company you're interested in unless you really hunt them down. There are a lot of long-term employees (10-20 years), especially manager roles, that are great for institutional memory, but not always great for innovation and exploring new ways of doing things. Younger employees tend to stay only 2-3 years as there aren't that many opportunities for growth or advancement in many departments.

IT Salaries are generous, work culture is OK.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IT Salaries (especially programmer, BA , BI ) are good at AAMC. Work-load is manageable. You will find good people. Diversity is good here. They've had some turnover recently due to a new office building that increases commutes for some Virginia employees. If you enjoy PMP-style management, practices and operations (ie. the inverse of a startup) - this place is for you !

Cons

Most managers are incompetent. IT of course needs to make life miserable for engineers with PMP 'best practices'. Of late, with multiple re-orgs of teams, the've created a 'rockstar' culture - the good thing about that is it rocks the boat, the bad thing is people either are left out, or get burnt-out running in the same place.

Where 'big picture' or 'vision' things are involved, hold senior management accountable, instead of blaming low-level, mid-level staff. Face your failures honestly instead of glossing over them.

Good lifestyle

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is pretty good. Lots of vacation. Good benefits. Good, smart people. Very diverse organization. Women and minorities in positions of leadership. Public transportation to work in a nice city. This is a good organization with a good mission. You make the world better by working here.

Cons

Pay kind of sucks to be honest. A few of the project managers are pretty terrible, though senior managers are generally good.

We handle multi-million dollar software. Keeping employee salaries low and supplementing with overpaid and incompetent contractors is not going to improve overall quality and is driving maintenance costs through the roof. Too many great people have walked out the door because of money.

Great place to start your career and build connections.

Current Employee - Web Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Web Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The association is truly mission driven and dedicated to improving graduate medical education and beyond. The employees are great and it is truly a great place to work.

Cons

The association is probably growing to big too fast and often finds itself trying to be a major player in DC while remaining a bit unfocused/overreaching. It often forgets it's a nonprofit and tries to run things more like a private business enterprise.

Focus on your staff. Now that we have a new building, truly take the time to ensure staffing requirements are being met in every department. Just because we are non profit doesn't mean can have 1 person doing the job of 3+.

Lacks strategic direction

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Short Work Hours
    Low Stress Environment
    Nice People

Cons

Lack of visibility in to organizational goals
    Loose management
    Unclear advancement opportunities
    Over-reliance on subcontractors

Set actionable goals and communicate to teams
    Train and Develop your full time employees
    Create and empower a centralized management office

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time

Pros

I found management to be responsive and there were opportunities to advance.

Cons

I worked here for four years and really enjoyed it.

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and excellent staff. They are a company that really cares about their staff members.

Cons

Pay could be slightly higher given the industry.

Continue doing the great job that you do.

The place you hate to love

I have been working at AAMC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable job, great benefits, excellent work/life balance

Cons

Slow-paced, low support for innovation, entitled staff

Provide better growth potential for individual's career