AAMC

Add Photos

AAMC President and CEO Darrell G Kirch

Darrell G Kirch

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You'll love coming to work.

I have been working at AAMC full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are awesome - intelligent, passionate and committed. The atmosphere around the office is great. The work is meaningful. The company culture is awesome and the benefits are generous. Management is very committed to happy employees and their development.

ConsThey definitely have a certain idea of the best career path - including multiple degrees and the right internships and job history. If you don't fit it, you will be taken less seriously. HR is opaque; seriously, no one knows what goes on in there or with your salary. The office culture is collaborative and growing more so with an open office plan, which may be a pro or a con, depending on your likes.

Can be a great opportunity

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AAMC full-time for more than a year

ProsThe AAMC has a great mission and that is focused on improving healthcare for all by ensuring quality education for future and current physicians and medical researchers. They promote from within and are keen to offer educational opportunities for current employees. They frequently seek input from employees about their experiences and are actively working to improve the company culture.

ConsUnfortunately, for many of the reasons that working for the AAMC might be considered a check in the "Pros" column, it can be very challenging to work there, especially if you are an outsider coming into the organization. Although upper level management is actively working to improve the culture, it isn't quite filtering down to the line managers yet. Trust issues, inconsistencies with applying company policies, expectations and opportunities for success and continued improvement can be a real challenge. Intelligence in the form of "book smarts" is prized above real leadership qualities which leads to ineffective and even harmful managers being promoted quickly and issues of high turnover and employee burnout abound.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to ensure consistency, trust, fair treatment and promote individuals who show real leadership qualities, not just increased revenue or an expensive education.

Positive internship experience

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC as an intern for less than a year

ProsHad a very positive experience working with AAMC. They take on a lot of interns each summer and many seemed to enjoy the projects they worked on. They also provide several activities for interns throughout the summer.

ConsIt would have been nice to learn more about what people outside of the department you're interning do at the AAMC. It is easy to get silo'd which can make it difficult for one to understand AAMC's role with all of its constituents.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide meaningful work for your interns to contribute to.

Pleasant work environment, meaningful and challenging work

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time for less than a year

ProsThe work is fulfilling, relevant, interesting, and challenging.
The people are nice, communicative, encouraging, fair, and responsible.
The office itself is quiet, clean, and spacious. You get a lot of privacy and amenities (private office, large windows, free coffee/tea, filtered water, covered parking spot for bicycles).

ConsNo option to get an elevated desk for standing (without a medical condition). That is my only complaint!

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC as an intern

ProsGood Hours, great opportunities to learn a lot about the different things that affect health care. Decent pay for an internship. Great location right in the middle of DC

ConsThere is a decent amount of "intern" work and you will likely be dealing with a lot of excel spreadsheets through out the internship. Generally only one or two interns

Fantastic salary and benefits but the work can be slow. Not much room for advancement.

Web Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at AAMC full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and work/life balance.

ConsWork can be very slow at times.

AAMC - Place to retire your career!

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at AAMC full-time for more than a year

Pros- Good benefits
- Very laid back work place
- Non profit employer

ConsA typical very badly managed organization.

- A lot of work is outsourced to India
- Too many middle managers like three managers to one employee
- Management does whole lot of nothing
- Very bureaucratic management
- Business culture at its worst
- Innovation does not exist
- Work equipment is 10+ years old
- Unfriendly staff - people don't talk unless they have business purpose
- Too many executives doing nothing

Ideal job for someone who just wants a job and not looking for career growth. AAMC hires a lot of contractors and consulting companies. It is the norm to get yelled at if you are a contractor or third party consulting company at AAMC. People can hear the yelling across the hall ways. Human resource is all eyes and ears closed about this kind of stuff at AAMC. Think twice if you are leaving for a consulting opportunity here.
A lot of senior managers make decisions at AAMC and typically you never interact with them and they don't know what you do there or your skills. My 2 cents.. this is not the ideal place for someone looking to build a career. It's probably a good place for a senior executive looking to retire soon. AAMC executives essentially have no accountability or drive - guess it's the expectation for a non-profit organization.

PS: This is my honest experience - not sure why others say AAMC is great place to work. Perhaps they did not have better experience elsewhere?

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers and not enough people doing real work. Streamline management!

Great experience and easy to work with

Client and Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at AAMC full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits package, health care, 401k, and great management, flexible hours and vacation days

ConsNot a lot of opportunity to further your career, no opportunity for overtime or bonus pay

Topnotch Employer

I have been working at AAMC

ProsCapable, personable, hard-working colleagues. Work that is a contribution to the community rather than simply money in the pockets of investors. Skills training as part of an excellent benefits package. Regular outside review and adjustment of job titles and salaries.

ConsWork groups can be understaffed, so work load and pressure to meet deadlines can sometimes be extreme and stress inducing.

Great

Communications (Current Employee)

I have been working at AAMC

ProsBenefits are very good, professional staff, very aligned with core values.

ConsTo much redtape, not strategic at all. Not business oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff

Worked for AAMC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AAMC reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AAMC CEO Darrell G Kirch. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by AAMC employees.