AAR

Updated Mar 19, 2014
AAR – Miami – “Miami”

AAR Chairman and CEO David P. Storch

David P. Storch

Great ideas, motivated people, low rewards

I have been working at AAR full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLearning a lot about the industry. Great exposure to immediate deals, top management and continuous training.

ConsLow pay, hard to move up, low morale. Management is constantly changing processes, these changes don't necessarily add value and end up with layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do better job at keeping morale, increasing sales.

It's a circus with no ringleader @ Indianapolis.

Electrical Technician (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AAR as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with for the most part. People are willing to help you out when your lost or don't understand your assignment. HR department is impressive. I have to give a bow to the leads at AAR you guys try so hard to make things go smoothly.

ConsContractors are considered spare parts and disposable. Paper work is a mess. You have to complete the same check over and over because its written in so many different task. Some of the permanent workers at ARR just want to collect a pay check they don't care about taking pride in their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a day off from the office and tag along with a worker to see how hard it really is to accomplish a task. Or if your qualify do a task, you may find that its not possible some days to get anything accomplish. Get rid of that meeting right before shift starts. That meeting is not for your regular workers its more of a management meeting.

Good and Bad

Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at AAR full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAAR has some amazing benefits -- Tuition Reimbursement, generous health insurance, ample vacation and sick leave. The programs are there -- it's up to you to use them.

ConsIt all comes down to who your immediate supervisor is. As with any large organization AAR has some good and some bad. When you are assigned to work for one of the more challenging people, it's up to you to find a way. I suggest taking advantage of the tuition reimbursement program to gain skills that enable you to move on either inside or outside of the company. Education is one thing that no one can take from you!

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the challenging ones -- stop micro managing your people. Let them find their own way and let them know that you are there to help if they need you. Trust your people and get out of their way.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company to spend a few years at...

Finance (Former Employee)
Wood Dale, IL

I worked at AAR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong, well diversified company. Good company to spend a few years to get experience.
I'd say the biggest thing I miss about this place is their gym and cafeteria. Caf isn't the greatest but still nice to have.

ConsLimited opportunities to move up and advance. Low pay compared to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the development of your employees and pay them more money.

OK experience

I worked at AAR

ProsBenefits - good comprehensive benes

ConsPoor management and career development opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for career development, training and growth

Lost in the sauce.

I have been working at AAR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay check is always on time.

ConsF.O.R's are moving into Indy. "Friends of Rick"
Lack of advancement regardless what HR says. Buddy system gets you advanced.
Constant change of upper management that results in constant changes to work schedules.
Management has no interest in their employees.
Thankless job.
Management is reactive not proactive.
AAR hire and rehire people I wouldn't let work on hot wheels, let alone an airplane.
Quality mechanics are dwindling.
Most docks have a doom and gloom feeling.
Moral is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the people you are responsible for.
Lead by example instead off barking out orders.

Good pay and benefits combined with friendly team members

I worked at AAR full-time

ProsAAR offers good pay and benefits, especially vacation benefits. A positive working culture is encouraged and facilitated with company tailgates, summer picnics and winter luncheons.

ConsThe company is not investing in their employee's as a long term asset. There are frequent re-structuring events, making it at times difficult as tasks are re-assigned and sometimes neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in adequate staffing and training of the current staff to mitigate the need to continually re-structure.

Senior Accountant

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at AAR full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSumma Technology was a great place to work. Superviors respected and valued employee suggestions. We were team players

ConsAfter the company was sold, managers did not understand the importance of communicating with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees. Work as a team player

Flag Review

AAR Talent Acquisition Manager responded to this review

Feb 11, 2014

Unfortunately, this recommendation was meant for another and belongs to a company called:

Aar Summa Technology Inc
140 Sparkman NW Dr
Huntsville, AL 35805
(256) 830-7000

The Summa ... More

Really good in some things really bad in others

I worked at AAR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReally nice people. Good insurance.

ConsHard to work in if not at corp site. As usual execs ignore poor treatment of its site leaders of its employees. Yelling and cussing by execs at local sites. If you are middle management you are between a rock and a rock. Upper management holds you responsible for everything and employees blame you for everything. They allow anonymous comments about managers during employee survey and then allows all managers to read them. This is demeaning to those wrongly or rightly accused.

Women are treated rather poorly.

Hr directors are so afraid for their jobs because they are women and not part of good ole boy club they overlook the abuse of other women.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook up former employees and find out why the left

At the wrong place at the wrong time.

Human Resources Representative (Former Employee)
Huntsville, AL

I worked at AAR full-time for more than a year

ProsInvested in its people through training. Good benefits package and decent pay for the work performed.

ConsWhen an employee called 'the hotline', corporate management was quick to point the finger at local management even before any investigation had begun.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate management needs to be supportive of local management. When this does not exist, employees are quick to notice and may take advantage of the situation.

Worked for AAR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AAR reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AAR CEO David P. Storch. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by AAR employees.