AARP

AARP Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins

Jo Ann Jenkins

Pros
  • Good work-life balance philosophy in most, if not all departments(in 11 reviews)

• Great people to work with that are all committed to making a difference for middle to low-income taxpayers(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Very slow decision-making timeframe(in 5 reviews)

• Senior management can not be trusted either(in 5 reviews)

Great company to work for.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Horsham, PA

ProsManny opportunities to advance within company.

ConsDealing with Medicare can be challenging there is a lot of information to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Meaningful

Tax Counselor (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsFlexible schedule for a volunteer position. Seasonal opportunity. Great people to work with that are all committed to making a difference for middle to low-income taxpayers. It is satisfying to be able to assist taxpayers.

ConsBecause of the level of training required, it can be hard to recruit volunteers, and the tax sites could often use more volunteers. Taxpayers often face long waits to have returns prepared.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery dedicated management that work long hours preparing for the tax season. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Doomed company

Programmer (Current Employee) Lakewood, CA

Prosat one time, this was a Family-friendly and cohesive place to work. The community of employees and temporary all collaborated. But that changed, once management decided to outsource all of the Satellite Facility.

ConsAll that changed, when the (Lakewood) branch was told to reduce their Employment and outsource all of IT operations. the IT staff used to be able to collaborate with the User community...but, all that stopped and the reporting structure changed to the NON TEAM process and act-like-SILOS.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away! Not a 21st Century organization

ProsGood pay. Many intelligent, caring people. Important mission

ConsThe management of the organization is bloated and lacks genuine leadership capabilities. Many are in positions for which they don't belong, and are paid large salaries. There is a big divide between "leadership" and staff. The "mission" of the organization seems to be a front for many at the top to make very good money at others expense.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip. You've lost your way. Take a close look at yourselves and get back to the meaning of the organization. Demonstrate some integrity.

Huge gap between management and staff

Public Affairs Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGenerally good pay and benefits.

ConsThere was a huge gap between management and the work force, with rules about who you could contact at what level. It was like a whistle blew at 5 pm, and staff stopped in the middle of whatever they were doing and headed for the door. It's the only job I've had where I got bored because there was not enough to do, and you were discouraged from going above and beyond the call.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to break down the bureaucracy.

Lots of Meetings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people and benefits. Good cause in helping persons 50+ Nice building and cafeteria

ConsLots of meetings without a lot getting done. Very slow decision-making timeframe.

Great Internship Program

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe interns are very involved in the process and are included in meetings. Overall, great learning environment.

ConsI wish we were more encouraged to do an individual project of some sort or writing to submit as writing samples.

Back to work

Retire (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent source for information in regards of going back to work.

ConsWillp like to see more reviews of retires going back to work.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work

Prosopportunities for growth, young staff, annual bonuses, great benefits, interesting work

ConsNot glam, but interesting and challenging work that matters.

A truly HORRIBLE experience!!! If you are an older worker or person with disability BEWARE!!

Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-The VOLUNTEERS are the best thing about the association!!
    -Relatively good benefits.
    -USED TO HAVE a great mission.

Cons-VERY WIDE divide between management & non-management;
    -promote non-discriminatory practices and older workers' rights, but ABUSE AND DISCRIMINATE against their own staff
    -advance UNQUALIFIED individuals into management positions
    -THROW AWAY experienced employees for newer, shinier, younger ones!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've lost your way. The organization used to be about service and promoting the welfare of older Americans -- it is now about the bottom line and hard work and loyalty mean nothing.

Worked for AARP? Contribute to the Community!