AARP

Updated August 20, 2014

3.1

AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins
Jo Ann Jenkins

Pros
  • Good work-life balance philosophy in most, if not all departments (in 11 reviews)

• Great people to work with that are all committed to making a difference for middle to low-income taxpayers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Very slow decision-making timeframe (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management can not be trusted either (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

IT Advisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Location of the office in washington dc is the only PRO that can be identified

Cons

Totally dysfunctional IT division. Poor Leadership. NO real IT knowledge anywhere to be found. Horrible environment underhand deceitful practices. Lacks basic IT comprehension in many areas - wasting money.

Want to be unemployed? Apply here, get the job and lose your job in one week!

Former Employee - Photo Editor  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Photo Editor in Washington, DC

Pros

None. Unless you consider the Metro to be fun.

Cons

I left my job for an opportunity at AARP. On my first day I was very early and my boss was late. He introduced me to people in the office and began "training" me. I wrote notes on my phone. The training was poor and lacked information on workflo from one step to another. The trainer worked with me for short periods of time, each period with less helpfulness. I was not shown the lunch room or given time to eat, but instead excersizes to do and meetings to attend. One of which the group talked about "reducing redundancies." This has been corporate slang for layoffs at previous jobs, so not great to hear about. At 4:00 my boss was still unavailable for a meeting he said we'd have at 2:30. So I left to building to eat. Took my phone off Satelitte and answered a missed message from my husband. I returned to the office 25 minutes later. With my boss still in his office, I returned to my new desk and did what any new employee could with little training - set up important bookmarks, fixed issues with the office help group to get printers working and more. I left at 5:30. On my commute home I was contacted by my contracting group that I was not to return the next day because my boss told them that I was texting during training. Unbelievable. All it would have taken would be a quick question to me and I would have shown him all my notes. I referred to them and added more thoughts throughout the day such as bring a cup for water - there were no paper or plastic cups for visitors or new employees to use for drinking. Things such as that. But I was "fired" because he thought I was "texting." The lack of an ability to communicate seemed to sweep this office. Workflow, archives,and programs were all behind the times (it was like stepping back into publishing for 2004). Most of the people in my group were contractors too - no benefits and such. And most were women.

It's 2014. People write with electronic devices. Just because you work at AARP doesn't mean you should retire your mind, fail to think and ask questions, or show a little respect.

Trouble on the horizon

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

Pros

The mission is awesome and most people truly believe in the organization and what it is about. Lots of change over past 4 years to get the organization turned around.

Cons

Number 1 - AARP is attempting to boil the ocean in order to stay relevent. In doing so - it does many things "good" but nothing "great", sadly Americans just don't know the organization.

Number 2 - Contracted revenue is like Crack and is the only glue that holds the thing together. This glue ain't strong enough however. Hence, the person responsible for that revenue stream is getting out while the getting is good.

Number 3 - Real, organic membership growth has been a challenge and has led to cycles of layoffs as expenses have grown faster than revenue. Management has rallied the troops and every effort is being made to turn the ship, but operationally there are significant breaches. Inexperienced (dare I say pigheaded) people are leading the operational charge and missing huge cost efficiencies. Instead of fixes, the company lingers in an operationally inefficiently (easy to fix) wilderness.

Dear new CEO, if you have leadership below you who have promised you and the Board hundreds of millions in savings and only a 20th of that is being realized, and if they bungle the numbers and lie to your face about it when called to the carpet - then they should be laid off just like all the older workers and minorities their misquided policies have laidoff. Also, put someone in charge of enterprise operational change who isn't learning on the job. There are plenty of folks in the organization who have actually done what is being attempted - yet they have no voice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doomed company

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Lakewood, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Lakewood, CA

Pros

at one time, this was a Family-friendly and cohesive place to work. The community of employees and temporary all collaborated. But that changed, once management decided to outsource all of the Satellite Facility.

Cons

All that changed, when the (Lakewood) branch was told to reduce their Employment and outsource all of IT operations. the IT staff used to be able to collaborate with the User community...but, all that stopped and the reporting structure changed to the NON TEAM process and act-like-SILOS.

Stay away! Not a 21st Century organization

Pros

Good pay. Many intelligent, caring people. Important mission

Cons

The management of the organization is bloated and lacks genuine leadership capabilities. Many are in positions for which they don't belong, and are paid large salaries. There is a big divide between "leadership" and staff. The "mission" of the organization seems to be a front for many at the top to make very good money at others expense.

Get a grip. You've lost your way. Take a close look at yourselves and get back to the meaning of the organization. Demonstrate some integrity.

A truly HORRIBLE experience!!! If you are an older worker or person with disability BEWARE!!

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

-The VOLUNTEERS are the best thing about the association!!
    -Relatively good benefits.
    -USED TO HAVE a great mission.

Cons

-VERY WIDE divide between management & non-management;
    -promote non-discriminatory practices and older workers' rights, but ABUSE AND DISCRIMINATE against their own staff
    -advance UNQUALIFIED individuals into management positions
    -THROW AWAY experienced employees for newer, shinier, younger ones!!!

You've lost your way. The organization used to be about service and promoting the welfare of older Americans -- it is now about the bottom line and hard work and loyalty mean nothing.

DO NOT WORK HERE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Hours are early enough to miss traffic in the mornings and be home while it is still daylight out.

Cons

-They pay slave like wages
    -They scam billions of dollars with there non-profit BS and take from millions of seniors who are already in a tough spot
    -They only hire temps for most of the work in remission
    -If you have a question, good luck on any of the managers helping you
    -They have people who have been there for 3 months training new employees
    -Don't ask the question of why? because that will cause your termination
    -They don't give employee proper storage for there belongings yet they don't want employees to bring their belongings into work...this is a disadvantage to those who either ride their bikes into work or take public transportation and for those who drive vehicles, their belongings, like their purses, are subjugated to those people who are coming and going from the parking lot
    The employee turn around rate is close to 10+ employees being let go a week and 10+ new employee starting (tax credits much?)

When someone is asking you why they need to reject something in AARPS computer programs, instead of giving that person attitude and tell them because as the only answer and acting like they are bothering you, maybe you should give them the correct answer so that they can understand how the system works and not make mistakes in the future.

Look elsewhere for IT positions.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Competitive pay and great benefits. HQ office is in great location for commute on Metro.

Cons

All non-VP/Director IT jobs will be going to India or other outsourced companies. STAY AWAY.

Stop wasting money on ancient technology, start encouraging and leading employees, going to "the cloud" will not help you, don't hire people who can't pass a basic computer skills test, offer true career growth, STOP WITH THE ENDLESS POINTLESS AND RIDICULOUS MEETINGS!!!!!!

Prefer younger white employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Benefits are decent. Location is very convenient.

Cons

They have yearly reorganizations. They claim each one is the last but have been doing them for over 15 years. In the "Reorgs" longer term employees are told that their jobs no longer exist, but young employees are given jobs that mirror the job that the older worker was told no longer exists. African American employees over the past few years seem to be disappearing the fastest.

What advice can you give to an organization where executives have no problem saying outright in meetings that they want to hire younger employees, when they are supposedly an organization that advocates for the rights of the elderly?

Hypocritical and untrustworthy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

People are fooled by the brand reputation

Cons

Lying, cowardly management - especially in the Brand Department. Senior management can not be trusted either. Unfair personnel moves to fit internal political agendas. Very slippery and dishonest in avoiding wrongful termination and discrimination charges.

Worked for AARP? Contribute to the Community!