AARP Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.1

AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins
Jo Ann Jenkins

Pros
  • Good work-life balance philosophy in most, if not all departments (in 11 reviews)

• Great people to work with that are all committed to making a difference for middle to low-income taxpayers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Very slow decision-making timeframe (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management can not be trusted either (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

"Time is NOT on your side...No, it's not."

Former Employee - Administrative Support Services  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Services in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When you find a sector of the organization that's truly serious about utilizing your talents, recognizing your efforts and really investing in your growth as both an employee and an individual, it can truly be a fantastic place to work.

Cons

On the flip side of that, woe be unto you who have the misfortune of working for someone who shouldn't be managing a land fill, let alone an office full of people. It's a crapshoot - and your odds of "winning" are about as good as playing Powerball.

At this stage of the game, there's not much advice I haven't already offered to senior management, and it no longer bears repeating, since it tends to fall on truly deaf ears. I fear that for THIS 'remake' of the Titanic, the iceberg is looming dead ahead, and well, you know how that turned out.

consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Excellent staff, cared about product and consumers they represent

Cons

Processes were cumbersome, but good for the end deliverables.

Great social missions organization to work for

Current Employee - Senior Advisor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Consensus among employees the directions and missions to focus

Cons

Personal growth is limited sometimes depending on the company's directions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, the employees are committed to the mission.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance philosophy in most, if not all departments. The company makes various types of training available and facilitates registration. In addition to being a pleasant work environment, the community service opportunities add to the value of AARP as a community entity. The cafeteria is also great to have.

Cons

The matrix management structure can be challenging to navigate when decisions are needed.

Keep employees engaged by sharing important information across various department equally.

Want to be unemployed? Apply here, get the job and lose your job in one week!

Former Employee - Photo Editor  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Photo Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

None. Unless you consider the Metro to be fun.

Cons

I left my job for an opportunity at AARP. On my first day I was very early and my boss was late. He introduced me to people in the office and began "training" me. I wrote notes on my phone. The training was poor and lacked information on workflo from one step to another. The trainer worked with me for short periods of time, each period with less helpfulness. I was not shown the lunch room or given time to eat, but instead excersizes to do and meetings to attend. One of which the group talked about "reducing redundancies." This has been corporate slang for layoffs at previous jobs, so not great to hear about. At 4:00 my boss was still unavailable for a meeting he said we'd have at 2:30. So I left to building to eat. Took my phone off Satelitte and answered a missed message from my husband. I returned to the office 25 minutes later. With my boss still in his office, I returned to my new desk and did what any new employee could with little training - set up important bookmarks, fixed issues with the office help group to get printers working and more. I left at 5:30. On my commute home I was contacted by my contracting group that I was not to return the next day because my boss told them that I was texting during training. Unbelievable. All it would have taken would be a quick question to me and I would have shown him all my notes. I referred to them and added more thoughts throughout the day such as bring a cup for water - there were no paper or plastic cups for visitors or new employees to use for drinking. Things such as that. But I was "fired" because he thought I was "texting." The lack of an ability to communicate seemed to sweep this office. Workflow, archives,and programs were all behind the times (it was like stepping back into publishing for 2004). Most of the people in my group were contractors too - no benefits and such. And most were women.

It's 2014. People write with electronic devices. Just because you work at AARP doesn't mean you should retire your mind, fail to think and ask questions, or show a little respect.

A great organization with an incredible mission

I have been working at AARP

Pros

The culture is unique; highly opinionated experts are everywhere; thrives on consensus

Cons

culture makes change very slow to occur

have top executives work closer together to create the need for change

Trouble on the horizon

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission is awesome and most people truly believe in the organization and what it is about. Lots of change over past 4 years to get the organization turned around.

Cons

Number 1 - AARP is attempting to boil the ocean in order to stay relevent. In doing so - it does many things "good" but nothing "great", sadly Americans just don't know the organization.

Number 2 - Contracted revenue is like Crack and is the only glue that holds the thing together. This glue ain't strong enough however. Hence, the person responsible for that revenue stream is getting out while the getting is good.

Number 3 - Real, organic membership growth has been a challenge and has led to cycles of layoffs as expenses have grown faster than revenue. Management has rallied the troops and every effort is being made to turn the ship, but operationally there are significant breaches. Inexperienced (dare I say pigheaded) people are leading the operational charge and missing huge cost efficiencies. Instead of fixes, the company lingers in an operationally inefficiently (easy to fix) wilderness.

Dear new CEO, if you have leadership below you who have promised you and the Board hundreds of millions in savings and only a 20th of that is being realized, and if they bungle the numbers and lie to your face about it when called to the carpet - then they should be laid off just like all the older workers and minorities their misquided policies have laidoff. Also, put someone in charge of enterprise operational change who isn't learning on the job. There are plenty of folks in the organization who have actually done what is being attempted - yet they have no voice.

Doomed company

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Lakewood, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Lakewood, CA

I have been working at AARP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

at one time, this was a Family-friendly and cohesive place to work. The community of employees and temporary all collaborated. But that changed, once management decided to outsource all of the Satellite Facility.

Cons

All that changed, when the (Lakewood) branch was told to reduce their Employment and outsource all of IT operations. the IT staff used to be able to collaborate with the User community...but, all that stopped and the reporting structure changed to the NON TEAM process and act-like-SILOS.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Horsham, PA

I worked at AARP as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Manny opportunities to advance within company.

Cons

Dealing with Medicare can be challenging there is a lot of information to learn.

Keep up the good work

Meaningful

Former Employee - Tax Counselor  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Tax Counselor in Louisville, KY

I worked at AARP part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedule for a volunteer position. Seasonal opportunity. Great people to work with that are all committed to making a difference for middle to low-income taxpayers. It is satisfying to be able to assist taxpayers.

Cons

Because of the level of training required, it can be hard to recruit volunteers, and the tax sites could often use more volunteers. Taxpayers often face long waits to have returns prepared.

Very dedicated management that work long hours preparing for the tax season. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Worked for AARP? Contribute to the Community!