AARP Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014

AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins
Jo Ann Jenkins

Pros
  • Work-life balance was good and lots of good work could have potentially been done (in 13 reviews)

• work life balance, growth opportunity and great benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Very slow decision-making timeframe (in 5 reviews)

• The membership and volunteer base are not valued by this non-profit seniors membership organization (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Unsatisfactory

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Irving, TX

I have been working at AARP part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no real best reasons

Cons

The orientation process is backwards. I've been working through AARP for the past month and I've yet to have my orientation..

All orientations should be performed prior to the employee placed with an employer

Review

I have been working at AARP

Pros

It is a good place to work.

Cons

It is an organization - like all organization with pros and cons - the positives are more significant

IT Advisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location of the office in washington dc is the only PRO that can be identified

Cons

Totally dysfunctional IT division. Poor Leadership. NO real IT knowledge anywhere to be found. Horrible environment underhand deceitful practices. Lacks basic IT comprehension in many areas - wasting money.

Intern

I worked at AARP

Pros

wonderful internship experience; amazing pay; great staff

Cons

very few, especially as this was an internship

time

I worked at AARP

Pros

atmosphere, atmosphere, location, nice building

Cons

atmosphere, upper management, lack of promotion/career paths, favoritism

promote from within

"Time is NOT on your side...No, it's not."

Former Employee - Administrative Support Services in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Services in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When you find a sector of the organization that's truly serious about utilizing your talents, recognizing your efforts and really investing in your growth as both an employee and an individual, it can truly be a fantastic place to work.

Cons

On the flip side of that, woe be unto you who have the misfortune of working for someone who shouldn't be managing a land fill, let alone an office full of people. It's a crapshoot - and your odds of "winning" are about as good as playing Powerball.

At this stage of the game, there's not much advice I haven't already offered to senior management, and it no longer bears repeating, since it tends to fall on truly deaf ears. I fear that for THIS 'remake' of the Titanic, the iceberg is looming dead ahead, and well, you know how that turned out.

consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent staff, cared about product and consumers they represent

Cons

Processes were cumbersome, but good for the end deliverables.

Great social missions organization to work for

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Consensus among employees the directions and missions to focus

Cons

Personal growth is limited sometimes depending on the company's directions.

Great place to work, the employees are committed to the mission.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance philosophy in most, if not all departments. The company makes various types of training available and facilitates registration. In addition to being a pleasant work environment, the community service opportunities add to the value of AARP as a community entity. The cafeteria is also great to have.

Cons

The matrix management structure can be challenging to navigate when decisions are needed.

Keep employees engaged by sharing important information across various department equally.

Want to be unemployed? Apply here, get the job and lose your job in one week!

Former Employee - Photo Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Photo Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

None. Unless you consider the Metro to be fun.

Cons

I left my job for an opportunity at AARP. On my first day I was very early and my boss was late. He introduced me to people in the office and began "training" me. I wrote notes on my phone. The training was poor and lacked information on workflo from one step to another. The trainer worked with me for short periods of time, each period with less helpfulness. I was not shown the lunch room or given time to eat, but instead excersizes to do and meetings to attend. One of which the group talked about "reducing redundancies." This has been corporate slang for layoffs at previous jobs, so not great to hear about. At 4:00 my boss was still unavailable for a meeting he said we'd have at 2:30. So I left to building to eat. Took my phone off Satelitte and answered a missed message from my husband. I returned to the office 25 minutes later. With my boss still in his office, I returned to my new desk and did what any new employee could with little training - set up important bookmarks, fixed issues with the office help group to get printers working and more. I left at 5:30. On my commute home I was contacted by my contracting group that I was not to return the next day because my boss told them that I was texting during training. Unbelievable. All it would have taken would be a quick question to me and I would have shown him all my notes. I referred to them and added more thoughts throughout the day such as bring a cup for water - there were no paper or plastic cups for visitors or new employees to use for drinking. Things such as that. But I was "fired" because he thought I was "texting." The lack of an ability to communicate seemed to sweep this office. Workflow, archives,and programs were all behind the times (it was like stepping back into publishing for 2004). Most of the people in my group were contractors too - no benefits and such. And most were women.

It's 2014. People write with electronic devices. Just because you work at AARP doesn't mean you should retire your mind, fail to think and ask questions, or show a little respect.

AARP Photos

AARP (Photo thanks to Flickr user Kenya Allmond, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
AARP Lobby
AARP (Photo thanks to Flickr user Kenya Allmond, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo