AARP

AARP Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins

Jo Ann Jenkins

Pros
  • Good work-life balance philosophy in most, if not all departments (in 11 reviews)

• Great people to work with that are all committed to making a difference for middle to low-income taxpayers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Very slow decision-making timeframe (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management can not be trusted either (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A truly HORRIBLE experience!!! If you are an older worker or person with disability BEWARE!!

Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-The VOLUNTEERS are the best thing about the association!!
    -Relatively good benefits.
    -USED TO HAVE a great mission.

Cons-VERY WIDE divide between management & non-management;
    -promote non-discriminatory practices and older workers' rights, but ABUSE AND DISCRIMINATE against their own staff
    -advance UNQUALIFIED individuals into management positions
    -THROW AWAY experienced employees for newer, shinier, younger ones!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've lost your way. The organization used to be about service and promoting the welfare of older Americans -- it is now about the bottom line and hard work and loyalty mean nothing.

DO NOT WORK HERE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsHours are early enough to miss traffic in the mornings and be home while it is still daylight out.

Cons-They pay slave like wages
    -They scam billions of dollars with there non-profit BS and take from millions of seniors who are already in a tough spot
    -They only hire temps for most of the work in remission
    -If you have a question, good luck on any of the managers helping you
    -They have people who have been there for 3 months training new employees
    -Don't ask the question of why? because that will cause your termination
    -They don't give employee proper storage for there belongings yet they don't want employees to bring their belongings into work...this is a disadvantage to those who either ride their bikes into work or take public transportation and for those who drive vehicles, their belongings, like their purses, are subjugated to those people who are coming and going from the parking lot
    The employee turn around rate is close to 10+ employees being let go a week and 10+ new employee starting (tax credits much?)

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen someone is asking you why they need to reject something in AARPS computer programs, instead of giving that person attitude and tell them because as the only answer and acting like they are bothering you, maybe you should give them the correct answer so that they can understand how the system works and not make mistakes in the future.

Lots of Meetings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people and benefits. Good cause in helping persons 50+ Nice building and cafeteria

ConsLots of meetings without a lot getting done. Very slow decision-making timeframe.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good non-profit company

ProsFlexible hours, business casual attire and 48 hours paid volunteer work per year.

ConsManagement is unprofessional, rude, condones favoritism and unfair in their expectations of their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat others the way you would like to be treated.

Disappointing Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are decent. Work life balance was fair. Compensation was good. Wonderful group of co-workers, hard working, decent people for the most part.

ConsBeware your career. Uncertain future with many challenges. There will be much more outsourcing to come. Evaluations, reviews, and hiring practices are biased with many EEO issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot worth the time.

Horrible IT Management

ProsFlexible hours, DC location is very convenient to Metro

ConsHorrible IT management culture. I would classify the current leadership as amateurs. Lack of vision or insight as to how to run an organization. The entire IT department is run based upon reputation and not ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to management except to just consider leaving for the sake of AARP and the members.

Great place to work

Prosopportunities for growth, young staff, annual bonuses, great benefits, interesting work

ConsNot glam, but interesting and challenging work that matters.

good work life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have good retirement plan, benefits are decent. Good work life balance.
    Great mission and people working there really care about their mission.

ConsThe IT environment is constantly changing and lacks clear, obtainable objectives.

Great mission and culture

Research Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay. Collegial people. Very low stress. The work was interesting and important. The people I worked with seemed to have a wonderful sense of purpose in their work.

ConsWe had some technological issues throughout the summer. The main office is very involved in the operations of the state offices, so they thought they needed to have monitoring software on every computer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring people who believe in the mission. It's worked so far.

Look elsewhere for IT positions.

Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCompetitive pay and great benefits. HQ office is in great location for commute on Metro.

ConsAll non-VP/Director IT jobs will be going to India or other outsourced companies. STAY AWAY.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting money on ancient technology, start encouraging and leading employees, going to "the cloud" will not help you, don't hire people who can't pass a basic computer skills test, offer true career growth, STOP WITH THE ENDLESS POINTLESS AND RIDICULOUS MEETINGS!!!!!!

Worked for AARP? Contribute to the Community!