ABB Group

ABB Group Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

ABB Group CEO Joe Hogan

Joe Hogan

Pros:
  • "Work life balance, no much work preasure, Help u a lot for ur higher education"
    in 13 reviews
  • "nice work environment, great colleagues, lots of experience, good opportunity for graduates as well as for experience workers"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "As in any big company, some processes are complex, lengthy and frustrating"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Work-life balance, office politics, conservative company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I will definitely recommend ABB as a fantastic company to work in

ProsInternational team on international products
    Colleagues are from all over the world and all different ideas are exchanged and merged here
    Products developed are used in ABB worldwide amazingly

ConsSometimes feel that internationally distributed team will have a bit drawbacks in communication efficiency, but anyway, it is always a trade-off

Bad taste

S Ystems Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsDiversified product offerings
    International presense
    Large customer base

ConsLack of communication
    Secretive strategy
    Poor benefits

Good company that cares

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsAwesome company tha cares about you

ConsIts a big company and can be confusing

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The team I worked with was very supportive and professional.

Industrial Engineering (Former Employee)
    Coral Springs, FL

ProsVery professional, supportive, amicable, proficient, skilled

ConsUnplanned, chaotic, small communication gaps, slight uninformed schedule modifications

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to lay out a skeleton of a plan/timeline for the newly-hired depicting the tasks and deadlines in advance so that the newly-hired knows what to do and where to go for guidance during his/her tenure at the company.

Just beginnig, trying to soak in the atmosphere.

Coil Assembler (Current Employee)
    Crystal Springs, MS

ProsHas many different fields and positions to move up too and gain experience in.

ConsSome supervisors are cool, but others not that great. In some areas you work overtime on the weekend and its mandatory, while most other areas work theirs during the week and weekend work is voluntary.

Better places to work

Lake Mary, FL

Prosflexible with hours. If you need to take some time off, you can make up your hours. You can leave for lunch. Some very nice staff.

ConsMake promises they don't keep. Promise to make you full time and it never happens.
    Conflicts of interests. They let spouses report to Spouses that hold management positions.
    They play favorites. They let some managers get away with stuff that they should not get away with

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let spouses work in the same department. Hold every employee to the same standards and stop playing favorites.

low

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)
    Warminster, PA

Prosgood balance of work and life
    no OT required
    worklord is reasonable,
    people are friendly

ConsManagement competency is low
    job security is low

Advice to Senior Managementshould recognize that employees add value to the company development, and keep employees other than lay off people often

I'm happy, but as anywhere, could be improvements

Associate (Current Employee)
    Wickliffe, OH

ProsTraining and development opportunities are widely available and encouraged. Even with the current economic trends, top management supports these initiatives. Corporate culture is supportive, and the company is trying to encourage employees to work beyond traditional lines. However, with such a big company, the silo effect is definitely still prevalent. I have been lucky enough to work with a great team and meet a lot of nice people. They are willing to help and have reasonable expectations. I feel that I am valued and my work makes an impact. I appreciate the opportunity I have been given to work at ABB.

ConsI really have not gotten enough feedback from my manager. There is just so much going on within the company and our department. I know there are priorities above that, but I feel like I get lost in the mix sometimes. I feel like I could grow a lot more with better feedback. With a global company, there is a priority on alignment, which can be frustrating at times, but ultimately helpful. Because we are such a big company, even regionally, my team is spread out which can make our work a little difficult because I can't just go next door.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be transparent about the direction the company is moving towards

ABB is a very competitive and respectable place of employment.

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)
    Auburn Hills, MI

ProsThe pay scale seems very competitive and fair. 401k, pension plan, vision, dental and health! Coworkers are always willing to support if needed. The managers are all former Field Service Personnel and know what it takes to get the job done.

ConsThe travel for my particular job is significant. Not good for someone with close family ties. There is a just get the customer taken care of mentality with no regard for the employee needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the needs and concerns of your employees. Some of the low people actually have some helpful things to add.

Average Employee rates and average company

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Wickliffe, OH

ProsABB is a Large Company with good benefits. There are many opportunities in other parts of the company if you don't like where you are presently. A large company also rides the vissisitudes of the market easier than a small company. Perhaps the best reason is the benefits. The company does more than it has to in some areas. 401k is average. Vacation is wonderful as is the severence package if you're unlucky enough to use it. They also have good tuition reimbursement and adoption benefits. If you woud rather loaf than work, ABB is the place for you. It's easy to hide in a nook or cranny of the corporate structure if you want.

ConsLarge Company with much politics. Trying to get anything done quickly is impossible. As a marketing manager, it was very difficult working with marketing communications (the people who are responsible for corporate image and rule of how documents and other media should look.) They always shot down our ideas because they didn't fit with the European mentality, even though they fit perfectly with a US customer. ABB is a European company which means most discisions are by committee and consensous instead of a dictator style. Trying to get consensous on everything is impossible or you end up with something that no one likes. The Web site was terrible when I was there but it's improved a bit since then.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to integrate the ABB portion of the company with the Bailey Controls part of the company better. Job swap programs between Sweden or Switzerland (or Germany) and the US would be helpful. It seems that the Bailey controls sub-group is still thinking like Bailey controls while the European ABB group is pushing things down the necks of the US group without thinking about ramifications.

Worked for ABB Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ABB Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ABB Group CEO Joe Hogan. All 208 reviews posted anonymously by ABB Group employees.