ABC Fine Wine and Spirits

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015
2.5

Charles Bailes

Good company to work for.

I have been working at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits

Pros

If you are a forward thinker and put a lot of effort in to your job it will be rewarded. Most promotions come from within the company and very few from without. Family owned company that takes an interest in all aspects of the company.

Cons

Working on the store level can cause you to deal with some pretty rough company. Pay is not that great for some of the stuff you have to deal with.

Ensure that you listen to people on the store level. Pay them well and don't take for granted the job that they do.

Overall Good Experience

I worked at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to work with company leaders with whom I aligned with their personal values and business ethics. My boss allowed me to run my department how I chose, giving me occasional guidance and letting learn from experience. Health benefits were excellent.

Cons

Very low on the pay scale for all positions. Limited budget for resources i.e. better work tools and external learning opportunities. Due to economic conditions, everyone seemed to feel overworked and workload expectations were too high causing burnout.

Revisit what used to be important; look at workloads and make adjustments to maximize employee effectiveness and satisfaction. Teach leaders how to lead and managers how to manage. Continue to hire people who are "nice". Recreate the family atmosphere.

abc

I have been working at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits

Pros

just busy during the weekend the rest of the week very slow

Cons

you must download a truck every week with 200 - 400 cases of licor

Just one thing

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Sunrise, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are great, they're die classes at least once a month so we learn a lot and get paid for it. People are loyal to abc and are friendly with all the employees, and there are cameras all throughout the store making it easy to oversee what goes on.

Cons

The only thing I am not satisfied with is their pay. All the employees feel the same, they pay very low considering the amount of work we have to do.

Respect everyone around you, stick to the roots and you will be successful. They do have opportunities to grow and the promote pretty fast.

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!

Former Employee - Management in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Management in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits full-time

Pros

Stores are endlessly busy. You will have plenty of customers to interact with. You will be required to attend classes to learn about liquor and wine. Employees are paid weekly, though at wages well below industry standards).

Cons

This is honest! Please protect your family and your career and avoid this company! Low, non-competitive pay, barely above minimum wage, negligible annual raises if any at all, very long hours, high (often unreasonable) demands, high employee turnover rate, frequently called/forced to come in on days off due to understaffing problem. Do not involve yourself with this company if you want to be treated fairly by corporate and with respect. The company (which claims to be family owned) doesn't treat its employees like family--more like dispensable products. No breaks, no overtime for salaried employees (and overtime for hourly employees is highly frowned upon), no holiday bonuses, long outrageous hours (ie, trucks at 4 a.m and...if your aim is for management...expect 12 to 14 hour shifts at times and 50-55 hrs/week). Upper management (regional, district) is untrustworthy, incompetent, unwilling to invest in the success of their managers or mobilize resources capably to guarantee success. They do not stand behind their word and have no sense of character--can and will fire you for no reason during first 90 days, and they will even fire established managers for no reason and with no warning. (Please note this goes against their posted "discipline without punishment" policy.) Lack of fairness and integrity; corporate gives employees (especially store managers) very little autonomy and all too often stifles new strategies for growth that are proposed by employees. Regional managers are not above literally yelling at you if they don't like what they see--as a manager, expect phone calls at all hours--and yet these same regional managers will provide little cooperation or actual assistance to provide the resources needed to resolve the issue; they just pass the blame. Company does not work to empower its employees. Just recently their new policy was to "allow" managers to treat their employees with cakes, cookies, or pizza from time to time. Work really hard as a team to fundraise for pediatric cancer? Expect a pizza party or a bottle of wine in return (which you may never get).Terrible (also expensive) benefits coverage, does not pay to relocate employees who are offered promotions, no discounts, no coverage if you are a tobacco user. Managers expected to work 6 day weeks at times over the holidays and to perform product transfers on their own dime (no gas reimbursement). Cannot keep the stores staffed--do we wonder why? Everything is to save a buck. If they can find someone to work in your place for less, they will. If you have no other recourse right now than to work for this company, your only hope is to find a decent store manager who cares because corporate never will and they'll never change...oh, but lately they've started firing these kinds of decent hard-working managers of character...too much burden on payroll to pay people who build the brand any part of what they deserve.

Recognize that the people who are in your stores are the people who build the company; your employees are the backbone, and they deserve a return on their loyalty and the simple courtesies of honesty and respect. Authority is a responsibility and should be treated with care as such, to provide support and aid for your employees and consideration for the families of your employees as well. A worker is worthy of his wages, and you have a responsibility to give them what they deserve.

It's a job, not a career...

Former Employee - Wine Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Wine Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Their paychecks never bounced. The training that they gave you on product classes was good. Occasional incentive trips were possible to win. Got to taste many wines. The senior wine department management were good, knowledgeable and nice to work for.

Cons

However the rest of the senior management team made you just do enough to not get yelled at. Instead of putting in better security systems everytime there was a shoplifting problem they would drug test the whole store. Low pay, no real opportunity for advancement, very expensive benefits and every once in awhile your store would get robbed.

Be better leaders and not just bosses.

Nope.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL

I have been working at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good product knowledge, and classes thats about it.

Cons

Its like high school all over again. No discounts on anything. No breaks. You literally have to eat your food at the cash register. poor pay

Good luck with that.

been with them for many years

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits full-time

Pros

first several years were the best great communication, you felt like you were appreciated, co workers are thr best. vacation time is on track. Office trys to help as much as possible, but when they are needed (night ) there is no one to help. I have enjoyed my time there, co workers are the best. It is a safe place to work for the most part. Late nights are a bit scary some times.

Cons

we wonder why it is so important to be open 7 days a week. It is often said the associates that work in the store are the back bone of the company, yet we are the most forgotten. We hear over and over how we (workers in the field) are the reason ABC is what it is. They don't show it in the pay, why not take a huge step towards rewqarding us by closing on sunday. This may make up for the low pay. (somewhat) We close one hour early on certain holidays so we can ENJOY OUR FAMILY really??What can you do at 9:00 at night with your family........ The main office shuts down for days. I really don't think they will lose $ people will shop more on the day before, and get used to it.

They tend to hold on to management personal that truly do not deserve to hold the position. Some managers at store level do not deserve to hold the title. Assistants that are only on the books for the money, (some get paid alot to do nothing) and continue to get away with it. Yet other very qualified associates wait in the back ground and do much more for the company are over looked. not fair. Upper management tend to look the other way. Not sure if they don't know how fix the problem or just dont care. We are losing many talented people due to the pay.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great way to get into management as most managers start out as cashiers and work their way up. On the job training in the classroom and as you work from day to day. Regional managers can be a lot of help if you have a good one.

Cons

Customers can be challenging, pay and benefits not the best, can be stuck working short handed and working over salary hours to fill in when short handed since the hiring process for new employees is slow. It can be difficult getting your promo #'s if products not in line with your customer base and there is a big push for you to reach these quotas.

Although grateful for the job, not worthwhile.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best parts of ABC were working with my coworkers, taking selling classes, and working events.

Cons

The worst parts were the unpredictable schedule, Shift work, unbearable customers, and low compensation. I understand that truck days are routine in retail, however there were many days that I would arrive to work at 3:30am to find that the truck want coming, was running late, or was loaded incorrectly. They expected everything from their employees, but were not at all understanding when unforseen events would happen.

Appreciate your employees. The job is much more difficult than it looks. Reward good work. Promote people to management that deserve it, not just based on seniority.